DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

BEST MIXER IN THE WORLD?

DJ Whateva 5:03 AM - 17 November, 2004
In your opinion, what's the best mixer ever made? Speak on it
Revolutionary 5:30 AM - 17 November, 2004
I would definitely go for the Rane TTM 56...
I haven't tried it myself, but just listen to the other guys.
pgroves 11:17 AM - 17 November, 2004
Quote:
I would definitely go for the Rane TTM 56...
I haven't tried it myself, but just listen to the other guys.

Any of the Allen and Heath X One series, no question.
These are *very* classy mixers and just ooze quality, and the more expensive ones also have high-quality low and high-pass filters, for maximum tweakability:

www.djstore.co.uk

This is possibly their best one under £1000 ($1700):
www.allen-heath.com

Though I'd happily settle for a X One 62:
www.allen-heath.com

If money is no option, their top of the range mixer is silly money (about $5000?) but is awesome:
www.platinum-records.com
www.allen-heath.com

Paul
BassChamber 11:21 AM - 17 November, 2004
and give a try to the VESTAX PMC CX

awesome club dj mixer...
pgroves 11:41 AM - 17 November, 2004
Quote:
and give a try to the VESTAX PMC CX

awesome club dj mixer...

Actually that does look *very* nice, has filters too like the X Ones. BTW for the record I own an old Vestax PMC 17, its basic but sounds good and is built like a tank...

Paul
J-steez 12:18 PM - 17 November, 2004
I use to be a big vestax fan but i am looking to get a RANE EMPATCH mixer or RANE TTM56....I have a vestax 07 I am selling to get some cash..
tashafa 2:54 PM - 17 November, 2004
TTM56 hands down...industry standard
pgroves 3:53 PM - 17 November, 2004
Quote:
TTM56 hands down...industry standard

In the USA maybe, but not in the UK...

Paul
SpinThis! 5:31 PM - 17 November, 2004
totally subjective question innit?

ttm56 is an awesome mixer, but not everyone is a scratch dj. all around i'd have to say xone 92 is getting pretty close to what most people need: option of knobs or faders, 4 channels, decent sound quality, headphone cueing, good faders and meters etc. a lot of people like the pio djm series for the layout (prob one of the best) but the sound quality blows and the construction isn't nearly as good as its price suggests--it's like paying for a bmw but getting a mid-grade ford.
DJ Silk 5:44 PM - 17 November, 2004
The Rane TTM 56 is a very hot mixer. Worth the money and the only mixer I will use at this point.
RiceCube 6:22 PM - 17 November, 2004
I have the TTM56 and the Empath. Use the TTM56 for practice and the Empath for performing. The TTM56 doesn't have split cue like the Empath. I LOVE my Empath. Got the black and gold GMF edition with the case. It's almost as good as the TTM56 in terms of being a scratch mixer but you get a third channel and more features. Since I don't scratch as much during performances, that's what I gig with.
feniks 6:36 PM - 17 November, 2004
you can't beat the magnetic faders on the TTM56, and i'd have to say the sound quality on the TTM56 is tops too. however, as fas club mixers, i would have to say the Xone 92 tops all as it really is one of the best sounding mixers out there and it does have many extras that make the DJing experience more pleasant. gotta go with the Xone 92 overall.
yuri 7:48 PM - 17 November, 2004
xone 92 hands down
H-dj 8:50 PM - 17 November, 2004
Rane mixers...

I spent months eating bread to get my Empath but its worth the suffering lols
Revolutionary 8:53 PM - 17 November, 2004
Do you got that Gold Flash thing?
H-dj 9:07 PM - 17 November, 2004
sadly i cant... that will cost me double the amount for my black empathe...
which means i have to eat bread for a year or two
Revolutionary 9:08 PM - 17 November, 2004
What's the difference other than visual? Anyone know where I could win one of these things? ;)
J-steez 3:07 AM - 18 November, 2004
how much are the XONE 92s?
FoundationDJ 4:25 AM - 18 November, 2004
Seems that most big clubs in LA now are switching to the Xone62. though honestly I personally hate them. just me though as I know many who think they are amazing.. still around here the standard seems to be the DJM600 though its not the best by far as it still sounds like @#$@#$. but its a great workhorse.

I just got a DJM909 and though its only a 2 channel (I wish they had a model like it with more) its amazing.. A friend of mine has the Xone62 and we compaired it back to back at a local club one night and the DJM909 was just a bit crisper. though I have to admin it was really hard to tell they both sounded so good and had very good gain. I like the 909 for the features, espcially the touch screen controls..

My last note is not to slam the Allen and Heath, but they started as a mixing console company and it that world they are mid range at best.. even more like the lower end. they are not well known for GREAT sound. yet they come to the DJ world and they are so amazing and everyone does backflips.. I just thing this goes to show what level of sound quality all the DJ mixers are at.. we still have a way to go.
just my 2 cents
pgroves 10:30 AM - 18 November, 2004
Quote:
how much are the XONE 92s?

In the UK you can get a X ONE 92 for £965 (about $1800), though I would guess its probably cheaper in the USA, most DJ equipment seems to be...

Paul
DJ Shady 12:23 PM - 18 November, 2004
Best Scratch Mixer
1st: RANE TTM56
2nd: Ecler HAK360

Best Rotary House Mixer
1st: Allen&Heath XONE:V6
2nd: RANE MP2016/XP2016

Best All-Round Club Mixer
1st: Allen&Heath XONE:92
2nd: Ecler NUO:5

Best 19" Style Club Mixer
1st: RANE MP44
2nd: Vestax PMC-CX

RANE really really really need to make a mixer like the A&H XONE:92 or the ECLER NUO:5 because they're becoming the club standard all over the place. I know RANE could make a better product.... but when and will they?
theBrooke 11:41 PM - 18 November, 2004
I just recently sold the djm 600 on ebay and bought an xone:62... Couldn't be happier!

If you are looking for a great deal check out djdeals.com, email them for their lowest price... The owner is a young Buck named Steve, ~really~ cool and he has the best prices I've found. Got the new mixer for $889 shipped =)
dj midas 10:25 PM - 19 November, 2004
Ok this question is for all the rane techs out there. When are you coming out w/ a rane mixer w/ a SSL interface built in?????
?????????????????????????????????????????
Rane, Support
Shaun W 12:10 AM - 20 November, 2004
Steve M wrote
Quote:
Asking Rane if we're working on any new DJ Mixer products is like asking a DJ if she's ever going to work on a new song or mixing technique ever again? And you folks are smart enough to know we won't admit on a public forum like this what, if anything, we're specifically up to. [wink wink nudge nudge]

We have a rule here: we announce nothing about any product until we're under 90 days away from shipping it. We don't have infinite resources to do even 1% of the possible product ideas we've got in our heads, but this shouldn't stop you all from keeping the requests coming. - Peace

:) :) :)

Wur dup!
dj midas 12:47 AM - 20 November, 2004
AWWWWW come on throw me a bone or somethin. At least tell me you guys a thinking about makin 1.
Detroitbootybass 7:37 AM - 20 November, 2004
Best mixer? Bozak CMA-10-2DL... followed closely by the Urei 1620.

Click the link for some Bozak info: www.mickmusicpage.net
DJ Shady 11:41 PM - 21 November, 2004
Quote:

Problem is most of these are very aged and require component replacement and therefore aren't sounding too hot. When compared to an out of the box MP2016 you will soon see what is better.

I have done this myself.
Detroitbootybass 8:01 PM - 22 November, 2004
Quote:
Quote:

Problem is most of these are very aged and require component replacement and therefore aren't sounding too hot. When compared to an out of the box MP2016 you will soon see what is better.

I have done this myself.

So have I... for over 15 years now - but, thanks for your opinion. Tubes add warmth and depth that a flat-response 2016 can't compare with - just my opinion.

:-)
Rane, Support
Shaun W 11:55 PM - 22 November, 2004
As far as I know, the Bosak doesn't use tubes amps :)
J-steez 8:47 AM - 25 November, 2004
does anybody own a tascam x-8? i seen one on sell on ebay, iwas thinking of getting it
feniks 3:39 PM - 25 November, 2004
i've used the x-9 extensively. it's a pretty solid mixer but the effects are hard to use and the layout is not very ergonomic. but it is a fairly good sounding mixer and the eqs are fantastic.
DJ Shady 4:34 PM - 25 November, 2004
Quote:
As far as I know, the Bosak doesn't use tubes amps :)

You'd be right Shaun
Supagee 6:50 PM - 25 November, 2004
the company that owns the rights to UREI 1620 is re-releasing it with the exact same specs but with a new model name. should be release in jan 2005
seratosnatch 5:21 PM - 14 July, 2005
Radio Shack make some pretty snazzy mixers..
DJ Irv 7:04 PM - 14 July, 2005
Mixers are all different with different features. To say 1 mixer is the best difficult. If you are going to have this discussion you need to compare battle mixers to battle mixers, club vs. club mixers and etc.
AlexRage 9:21 PM - 14 July, 2005
Quote:
Best Scratch Mixer

Best Rotary House Mixer

RANE really really really need to make a mixer like the A&H XONE:92 or the ECLER NUO:5 because they're becoming the club standard all over the place. I know RANE could make a better product.... but when and will they?

Good list, but lay off the DJ deals.com site quoting. I've NEVER EVER EVER seen an ecler mixer anywhere but there. How are you gonna say that the Pioneer DJM 600 is not 2nd to the Xone when it comes to all around club mixers?
BassChamber 9:32 PM - 14 July, 2005
Pioneer 600 is made of plastic and is quite weak. i owned one, you know...

but i agree the layout is really comfortable, maybe the most confortable one (club mixer of course). anyways, i dont recomend it because it breaks easily.
Detroitbootybass 11:07 PM - 14 July, 2005
All the Pioneer mixers are crap (sound and durability)... The HAK 360 isn't too bad either. Turntable Lab sells 'em...
BassChamber 11:34 PM - 14 July, 2005
mmm Pioneer 707 is NOT crap at all... for the current price of course. but it cant beat Rane TTM 56 quality, no doubt.
skutch 1:08 AM - 15 July, 2005
909 will squash you;0
capo di exmixah 7:31 AM - 15 July, 2005
what the hell is this?. None of you cats never heard of the vestax samurai series of mixers? The best mixer ever made methinks
nik39 9:24 AM - 15 July, 2005
The samurei mixer is a piece of over priced crap just like almost all the vestax stuff. Methinks.
skinnyguy 10:45 AM - 15 July, 2005
pyramid mixer....with the sexy fake wood grain panels on the side.
earwolf 12:33 PM - 15 July, 2005
lol nik39 absolutely true

allen & heath aren't known for good sounding consoles?? LOL!!! you little joker!
CS-80a 1:11 PM - 15 July, 2005
hak 360 is very, very over-rated.

sa-5 or xone 2 are better 2nd place mixers then the ecler.
s42000 2:21 PM - 15 July, 2005
Vestax was an option at some time ... but now we have seen better.
concorde_pilot 10:13 PM - 15 July, 2005
best mixer? ttm56 , no doubt
RiceCube 12:37 AM - 16 July, 2005
Black and Gold Rane Empath Special Edition is my little baby...

Only problem with my TTM-56 is that it doesn't have split cueing so when I'm doing gigs where I have to put my speakers far away from me, it's difficult to hear the beats matching up. That's where SSL's GUI comes and saves my day! Don't even need to use my ears sometimes...hah hah

But I always take the Empath to gigs. TTM-56 is for home use =]
djgreg1200 6:04 AM - 17 July, 2005
I'm currently saving for a Rane TTM-56 but for now, I'm using the Pioneer DJM-707 and I couldn't be happier.
DJ Shady 8:36 AM - 17 July, 2005
Quote:
Quote:
Best Scratch Mixer

Best Rotary House Mixer

Good list, but lay off the DJ deals.com site quoting. I've NEVER EVER EVER seen an ecler mixer anywhere but there. How are you gonna say that the Pioneer DJM 600 is not 2nd to the Xone when it comes to all around club mixers?

The DJM600 aka the Squaremaster 600 is a poorly designed woeful sounding hunk of s#!t. Hence the NUO:5 is better. In terms of clean signal and audio clarity, you can't beat Rane or A&H. I've put them on a scope and they're the least likely to square wave by a mile, even with an idiot using them. Ecler aren't too bad either.
DJ MDX 1:08 PM - 17 July, 2005
Oh yes, I have to admit I love my Xone:92

Best sounding mixer I have heard.
Pete 2:09 PM - 17 July, 2005
I had a DJM 600 for two years and now a xone 92. The xone is another class, but the pioneer made a good work the two years without any problems. Taked it to different gigs. When you take care of the level-meters so the sound is ok. I can´t say it´s a bad product. Liked it.
Dj KaGeN 5:53 PM - 18 July, 2005
DJM 600 - I've had mone to the shop a couple times. One channel just quit working. I've also had to replace the crossfader, the itty bitty metal sticking up sheared off....

Overall thoughts, it's a nice mixer, you can take it home to momma. If you want a real mixer, get yourself an A&H, feels better, plays better and sounds better. I'll keep my DJM600 around, to play at mobile gigs. Not gonna let the A&H out of my house.......
dj midas 6:34 PM - 19 July, 2005
black and decker...... mixes the best cake batter ever!!!!!
ReleaseYourself 6:52 PM - 19 July, 2005
DJM 1000! I've tested it and... its awesome.
ReleaseYourself 6:53 PM - 19 July, 2005
But I think the most balanced is the DN X1500 (the one I have)
J rock 10:54 PM - 19 July, 2005
First off. The allen and Heath mixer is almost twice as much as the DJM600. I've not used the DJM600 but have had the DJM500 for more than five years and have never had a problem. (I first used it when I used to DJ thursday nights in the Tapioca room at Centro Fly) I just sold my DJM500 for $500bucks and was going to get the DJM600. I've haven't heard of any problems with it in fact I'm told it's cleaner than the 500. I've yet to see an Xone 92 in person but it looks cool. (I like the knobs) Is it really $900's better than the DJM600???
I have used A&H mixing consoles before and they are SWEET. EQ is really warm, and was very dependable. Makes me want to see the xone in person.
djkenace 11:34 PM - 19 July, 2005
by far the best mixer i have ever owned is a Rane MP 44.
DJ Shady 1:48 AM - 20 July, 2005
All Pioneer mixers provide WAY too much gain on both input and master output. They also seem to square wave badly wether this is due to the enthusiastic use of the crazy gain or poor quality AtoD/DtoA converters (The DJM500/600/3000 do a complete analogue to digital conversion of audio signal then convert back to analogue) &/or crappy op amps perhaps.

On a big, high quality system they sound woeful especially when replaced by a Rane or A&H then you realise how bad they do sound. They are the limiting factor on any serious audio system.
Detroitbootybass 3:52 AM - 20 July, 2005
Quote:

On a big, high quality system they sound woeful especially when replaced by a Rane or A&H then you realise how bad they do sound. They are the limiting factor on any serious audio system.

I couldn't agree with you more...
Dj KaGeN 4:59 AM - 20 July, 2005
I feel alot of people get stuck on the 500/600 because it is a well laid out mixer and it has all the built in effects. Will I get rid of my 600, probably not. I must admit I'm attached to it in some weird way. But after installing the A&H in the home setup, I will say that there is a slim chance the 600 will get play time at home, it's road-time only for the Fry-n-ear.

And on a side note: I'm starting to get sick of the use of noticeable use of effects that DJ's are using in their mixes that are derived from the Pioneers mixers.
DJ Shady 8:08 AM - 20 July, 2005
Quote:
I feel alot of people get stuck on the 500/600 because it is a well laid out mixer

Correctomundo.

They got the ergonomics of it right. Hence DJ's request them. *MOST* DJ's are clueless albeit deaf when it comes to high quality audio systems and the first thing that concerns them is a DJ mixer with good ergonomics and you can't knock the DJM's for that. You can knock them in every other area though.

If Rane made a similarly laid out mixer, it would absolutely kill it. Most club installations have ventured away from using 19" mixers (and 19" rackmount DJ CD players) as there is no need for it and DJ's prefer something like a Pioneer DJM, A&H Xone 62/92, Ecler NUO:5 and alike rather than a 19" mixer sunken in a bench. All Rane need is an Empath with one more channel and perhaps filter effects or an MP44 in the same form factor as the Pioneer's/Ecler/A&H mixers and that would easily become the standard "all round" club mixer to get.

All the others have shortcomings...
XONE:62 Feels like a lighting desk and the channel faders, no symmetry in fader layout and crap crossfader curve adjustment making it virutally useless DJ's that want to have a cut. It has great features and sound quality however.

XONE:92 Almost right. Still have to work on the crossfader cut-in.

DJM500/600: Aside from ergonomics, hunk of junk now Made In China.

NUO:5 Feels good, good crossfader, good sound but something leaves you with the suspicion it's not as robust as it could be

I've worked in the pro audio industry for last 8years doing nightclub installations and design primarily. Before the majority of installations I did incorporated either a Rane MP22. MP24 or MM8z in the installation. Just about every nightclub here in Sydney had one of these mixers. Now it's just a sea of Pioneer DJM500's/600's (and bad sounding Nightclubs) with not so many A&H XONE's and a smattering of Vestax PMC50/55's. Very few Rane's are left in nightclubs apart from some clubs that are geared towards specific genre's of music/DJing eg Hip-Hop (TTM56's) or House (MP2016).

Here's hoping Rane come out with something equivalent. I will hold my breath...
bush 1:27 PM - 20 July, 2005
Im not saying sound quality doesnt matter but do you really think the normal joe soap in a nightclub would notice the difference between a pioneer and a xone. The djm 600 is well laid out and easy to use, hence its the standard.
SpinThis! 1:53 PM - 20 July, 2005
Quote:
The DJM500/600/3000 do a complete analogue to digital conversion of audio signal then convert back to analogue

afaik, the a/d to d/a conversion on the pioneers only happens when you use the effects, not the entire time.

that still doesn't excuse their shitty pot and fader quality which imo is partly to blame for the sound quality (or lack thereof).
DJ Shady 3:00 PM - 20 July, 2005
Quote:
Im not saying sound quality doesnt matter but do you really think the normal joe soap in a nightclub would notice the difference between a pioneer and a xone. The djm 600 is well laid out and easy to use, hence its the standard.

Would you buy a Ferrari and put retreads on it?

You wouldn't spend $50,000+ on an audio system and put a DJM600 in front of it either.
DJ Shady 3:02 PM - 20 July, 2005
Quote:
Quote:
The DJM500/600/3000 do a complete analogue to digital conversion of audio signal then convert back to analogue

afaik, the a/d to d/a conversion on the pioneers only happens when you use the effects, not the entire time.

that still doesn't excuse their shitty pot and fader quality which imo is partly to blame for the sound quality (or lack thereof).

Go have a look at DJM600 schematic.
J rock 3:53 PM - 20 July, 2005
If all you DJ on is 50,000 dollar sound systems you are quite lucky.
Besides the DJM mixers are far from retreads. If you max the gain on any mixer you will sound like crap. I agree that there is to much gain but I try to take that into account and don't just crank the thing. and also leave the master output gain knob also at a resonable level. It's not a gemini. That Ferrari with retreads will still get you home.

so back to my original Question. Is the A&H really $900 dollars better?? (so far it doesn't sound like it.)
earwolf 3:57 PM - 20 July, 2005
go shady go!! great input (scuse the pun)
DJ Shady 4:10 PM - 20 July, 2005
Quote:
If you max the gain on any mixer you will sound like crap.

The Pioneer has several design flaws and shortcomings. It can induce at least +14db over unity gain on inputs and at least +14db on master out. That combined with poor quality componentry, it's no wonder they sound like shit and make any thing else down the audio chain clip it's arse off!

Ever wondered why there is a lack of red lights on Rane and A&H DJ mixers. Input gain on A&H's only go upto a max +5db on inputs and max +8db on master output. Rane's go +10db and even when driven into red constantly, EQ's flat they still don't square wave and still sound audibly fine.

Sounds like a classic case of good VS bad design.
Dj KaGeN 4:28 PM - 20 July, 2005
I own a 62. I couldn't justify the extra cash to pony up for the 92. I will say that the A&H feels WAY better, the knobs are solid and the 4 band EQ, tricky at first gives you great musical leverage after you get the hang of it. Channel faders are extremely accurate and fuggin blow away the DJM's. I give credit for the DJM's crossfader, it has a lighter faster feel, and it's accurate, where the A&H is super smooth, it lacks quickness and sharp cut ability. It does have a 3 or 6 db cut option so you can crossfade smoothly without a volume spike for having 2 channels at full till. The 62 has some effects on it, so you are not left out, I will say that you have great control with them and they have a natural sound over the DJM's. Overall the A&H feels better, sounds better and is laid out very well. SOoooo much better in the OVERALL quality that it will REPLACE your DJM if you give it a chance.
J rock 4:39 PM - 20 July, 2005
thank you!

Quote:
I give credit for the DJM's crossfader, it has a lighter faster feel, and it's accurate, where the A&H is super smooth, it lacks quickness and sharp cut ability.

Are the cross faders propriatary. in other words, Could I drop a DJM cross fader into the A&H?
SpinThis! 2:22 PM - 21 July, 2005
yuck, why would you want to do that? (maybe the reverse)
J rock 2:30 PM - 21 July, 2005
have you been reading the discussion???

Talking about great mixers. Anyone still rocking there DMC-PMX2.
Stiil one of the best battle mixers ever!!! Mine still works great after 10 years!!
J rock 2:32 PM - 21 July, 2005
So Spinthis, does this mean you vote for the DJM-600??
SpinThis! 2:35 PM - 21 July, 2005
no, i was replying to this...

Quote:
Could I drop a DJM cross fader into the A&H?
SpinThis! 2:40 PM - 21 July, 2005
to elaborate, not all p&g faders are the same... why would you settle for a substandard DJM fader when you might be able to get another quicker cut p&g/a&h one?
J rock 2:45 PM - 21 July, 2005
Quote:
Are the cross faders propriatary.

well that was the first part of the question.
J rock 6:51 PM - 21 July, 2005
Nobody had a DMC-pmx2???
damm I can't believe it.
s42000 7:39 PM - 21 July, 2005
I remember that .... but back then I was rocking a RadioShack Realistic .... it sucked all round .. just everything about everything on it sucked really really bad :)
DJ Revenge! 7:50 PM - 21 July, 2005
The Realistic mixer! hahaha That was my first mixer... kewl thing was that it had 3 mic inputs. I know a bunch of people that started off with that mixer.
J rock 7:55 PM - 21 July, 2005
I was rocking a Gemini pmx15. the DMC was my big deal step up back then!!!
bush 8:38 PM - 21 July, 2005
I had a kam25 back then
skinnyguy 8:55 PM - 21 July, 2005
i still got a dmx-pmx2 PRO (the one with the 2-band eq) and it still works!
skinnyguy 8:55 PM - 21 July, 2005
oops...i meant dmc-pmx2 PRO
J rock 10:11 PM - 21 July, 2005
I even have a new replacement cross fader. The replaced it once and got two replacement but it never went bad again!
DJ Shady 10:49 PM - 21 July, 2005
Aren't they a GLi PMX-2.

I repaired one for a guy about 5yrs ago.
Brandon Fisher (BLF DJ Supply) 9:25 AM - 22 July, 2005
Quote:
mmm Pioneer 707 is NOT crap at all... for the current price of course. but it cant beat Rane TTM 56 quality, no doubt.

Play with the DJM 1000 before making that statement.
DJ Shady 9:59 AM - 22 July, 2005
Quote:
Quote:

Dude, how about you compare apples with apples instead of comparing apples and oranges before making a ridiculous statement like that. The guy is comparing two scratch mixers and you come up the the DJM1000. Anyone wanting a DJM707 or TTM isn't even going to look at the DJM1000. From it's appearance, it looks like DMX lighting controller.

In any case, based upon Pioneer's previous efforts I'd rather play with my TTM56.
theBrooke 5:59 PM - 22 July, 2005
First mixer : Radio Shack job, with no eqs! (paired with some crap belt driven tables)

Next mixer I bought was the DJM600, I was a promoter at the time and a lot of the talent that we brought in specifically requested it. I didn't even consider another mixer. That was it from 2000-2004. Even had it stolen and replaced it with the exact same one.

In 2003 I played at a club here with some great djs from Cali, one guy brought his own mixer and made the club hook it up... The x:one 62. I opened for him, and fell in love with it. I lusted after that mixer for two years after that. I've never been big on effects, so this mixer felt more me than the 600.

Earlier this year I finally bought my x:one. I have never looked back. The filters are amazing, I love using them for mixing, cut the low freqs or highs very cool... 4 eqs is nice of course, that was a major selling point for me... another big plus for me is the levels. You really have to crank EVERYTHING on the mixer to get some distortion. I have a couple of dj friends that don't know when to say when and I gotta tell you these guys sound way better on this mixer. It's like it's idiot proof almost. Love it.

The 600 had it's day, and still has it's place I guess.. but anytime I have the choice I will be on an x:one.

(btw this wasn't 600 more dollars than the Pio, matter of fact, i ebayed the Pio, added $250 and viola!)
J rock 12:32 AM - 23 July, 2005
which one, the 62 or 92?
theBrooke 7:34 PM - 23 July, 2005
J rock 11:40 PM - 23 July, 2005
I guess I ment the 92 when I said $600 more dollars.
DJ MDX 12:29 AM - 24 July, 2005
Quote:
I guess I ment the 92 when I said $600 more dollars.

I have a question how much are saying the Xone:92 is in total. In U.S. Dollars.

I see some saying $600 - $900 more than a DJM-600 but what price does that put the DJM-600 at?
J rock 6:32 PM - 25 July, 2005
I have seen the DJM 600 for just over a grand. So far I have only seen the Xone 92 with the VCA faders for like $1,700 and the Rotary Knobs for $2,000. If anyone knows where these products can be bought cheapper please let me know. With this price difference I would expect that the Xone 92 be much, much ,much better than the djm 600.
Dj KaGeN 6:48 PM - 25 July, 2005
DJM at a store is a touch over a grand, find them on EBAY all day long much cheaper around 850 with buy it now.

Interested in scooping up a Allen & Heath, get your money worth in a really well buily and soundign mixer....
Xone 62 PSSL.com $900
Xone 92 PSSL.com $1700

You can haggle the PSSL gang a little to knock shipping off or down.
DJ MDX 8:14 PM - 25 July, 2005
I think you can do much better than that, in regard to pricing on both the DJM and the Xone:

Those are all MSRP

Think about it as a car sale. Who ever pays MSRP for a car?
Detroitbootybass 10:38 PM - 25 July, 2005
You can routinely get the Xone 92 for $1300 - $1400 if you take the time to compare.
DJ MDX 11:58 PM - 25 July, 2005
Quote:
You can routinely get the Xone 92 for $1300 - $1400 if you take the time to compare.

Yes Sir, that is a lot more realistic. So if you do your shop comparison you will find that, yes, it is more expensive than the DJM but not by that much.

And from a current Xone:92 owner.....if you are willing to shell a grand or a little over a grand for a DJM600, you certainly can save some more to get Xone:92 if it suits you.....they are not out of reach....from a DJM-600 perspective.
J rock 4:34 PM - 26 July, 2005
where are you finding these great prices?
DJ 3pm 5:08 PM - 26 July, 2005
froogle.com is a good place to start after you've decided on the model
theBrooke 10:07 PM - 26 July, 2005
djdeals.com will hook that up.
DJ Mikefury 3:38 AM - 27 July, 2005
Its the Dj thats makes a mixer good...isn't that why we buy the mixer in the first place?
DJ MDX 4:00 PM - 27 July, 2005
Quote:
Its the Dj thats makes a mixer good...isn't that why we buy the mixer in the first place?

You are correct to a certain degree.....but put any Indy 500 Race Car Driver in a Yugo against the other drivers in their regular race cars and......well you get the picture....lol

I goes back to the old cliche, "You are only as good as your weakest link."
s42000 4:49 PM - 27 July, 2005
Quote:

NO.

While I am encouraged to see your thirst for knowledge, I am saddened to see you make a hasty (and incorrect, in this case) assumption.

I have seen many a DJ in the past trying to "make" a RadioShack Realistic mixer into an Urei to no avail. I will bet my left testicle that you wouldn't want to walk in a situation where someone asks you to "make the mixer good". It would ruin your night :) if the mixer was a Yugo and you are more familiar with BMW.
DJ Mikefury 7:43 PM - 27 July, 2005
yea thats a good point. Well I'll answer the original question anyways. The best mixer would be the Rane TTM 56. What do you guys think of that pioneer DJM-909 mixer?
s42000 7:53 PM - 27 July, 2005
Quote:
The best mixer would be the Rane TTM 56.

It could not have been better said. I agree and please forgive me for what would seem like my bias towards the 56. She has been my workhorse since inception without fail. No other mixer has served me in the same way. She derserves a purple heart.

Remove the effects on the 909 and it becomes an 707 ... nothing to call home about. But they have really tried to be "RANE like". Props to them for the attempt ... like they always say"Imitation is the best kind of flattery"
DJ Mikefury 8:03 PM - 27 July, 2005
lol..It's really great to finally have a mixer that you know will never give up on you. Think about you can pass this mixer down to your kids..the 56 will be a legacy in my family. Now i'm really excited to what the future would bring..well if you take out the effects and screen from the 909 and put it in the 56 we have now the best mixer in the world.
Revolutionary 8:10 PM - 27 July, 2005
Quote:
She derserves a purple heart.

Why give her a purple heart? Is she WIA or KIA? ;)
s42000 8:16 PM - 27 July, 2005
She went to the mixer war, convincigly won every battle,
razzled and dazzled the enemy in every skirmish, mesmerized the opposition combatants with her guile and skill, peerless in every way, came back victorious and has not lost a stride ...

surely ...
skinnyguy 8:44 PM - 27 July, 2005
i hear the channel faders in the pioneers tend to die quickly
skutch 2:19 AM - 28 July, 2005
but there is an effects screen on the 909.

that arguement is like saying "what's a 56 after you take out the faders?"

sayin
DJ Shady 6:32 AM - 28 July, 2005
Quote:

sayin

An audibly better sound DJ mixer.
DJ Shady 6:32 AM - 28 July, 2005
Quote:

sayin

An audibly better sounding DJ mixer.
Brandon Fisher (BLF DJ Supply) 7:38 AM - 28 July, 2005
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Dude, how about you compare apples with apples instead of comparing apples and oranges before making a ridiculous statement like that. The guy is comparing two scratch mixers and you come up the the DJM1000. Anyone wanting a DJM707 or TTM isn't even going to look at the DJM1000. From it's appearance, it looks like DMX lighting controller.

In any case, based upon Pioneer's previous efforts I'd rather play with my TTM56.

I quoted the wrong post. I was responding to the "all pioneers sound like crap" comment.
bush 2:04 PM - 28 July, 2005
Quote:

Remove the effects on the 909 and it becomes an 707

Well duh, that what makes it a 909, not a 707.
s42000 8:44 PM - 28 July, 2005
Why I ever got into this I'll never know.
Eradicating ignorance is a much more difficult task than I imagined.
s42000 9:18 PM - 29 June, 2006
Now that we have the 57 .. I thought to revisit this ...

The 57 is the best Mixer :)
djtonypsalms 9:35 PM - 29 June, 2006
Best Mixer?

3 channels inputs.

Each channel has:

TUBE pre-amp, Gain, 3-Band EQ, pan, aux send, channel insert, Phono/Line & ability to change Phono input to line.

Headphone:

All the options of the Empath

Output:

1/4" (un/balanced) & XLR balanced, and RCA.

Meters:

One for each input channel & one for the Main output in stereo.

EFX:

Same as the Empath.

Mic

Same as Empath
The Little Trooper 10:06 PM - 29 June, 2006
No one has mentioned the Urei 1620. This is the mixer that set the club installation standard. I have seen them still in use to this day.

I have been a professional sound engineer/technician for over 5 years and after checking out many different DJ mixers and hearing reviews, compliments, and complaints from all different types of DJs, here are some general thoughts...

Pioneer - I own a 500. I want to get an 800. They revolutionized the market with the 500 and its ease of use, layout like a live sound console with meter bridges, and features. The construction is not as sound as Rane or A&H, but the extra bells and whistles of effects are there. The preamps are not as high of a quality either, but any preamp can be overloaded by turning the gain knob up too high.

Allen & Heath - The picked up where Pioneer left off. They dropped the flashy effects in favor of better construction and components. Besides, how many times a night can you stand to hear a DJ flange the sound or use echos?

Rane - Been in the DJ mixer market longer than either of the above. They introduced some great products that other companies advanced on. The MP24z is an engineer's dream club mixer, but not a DJs. Engineers love that it has no gain knobs and channel EQs which leads to great sound quality all night. Rane has taken over the battle mixer market from Vestax with the 54, 56, and 57, and even the Empath. But they need to discontinue the MP44z and build their own all-around club mixer in a smaller format like A&H and Pioneer, and put SSL in that too. After all, because Rane and Serato produce SSL as a team, they have exclusive rights to integrate their products. They could seriously dominate the market. A&H and Native Instruments already have some integration.

Vestax - Where have these guys been? They've been turning out some new products worth checking out, but they just aren't of the quality that Rane, Pioneer and A&H have. And they need to totally re-vamp their product line. The PMC-05 was a great mixer - 20 years ago. I also heard somewhere they now have their products made in China, not Japan.

Ecler - Sorry I can't say too much about them. Have never touched one or seen anyone use one. Heard great things though. And looks awesome on paper.

Denon - Played with a couple models. I feel the same about every Denon product I have ever used. They're awesome, but too many buttons and too complicated to figure out. When I walk into a club to spin, I don't wanna have to listen to the house engineer explain how to use the mixer for 15 minutes. Or have to give a lesson to the DJ when I'm the house guy. Keep it simple.

The list...

Battle/Scratch:
1. Rane TTM-57SL
2. Rane TTM-56

Rotary:
1. Allen & Heath X:One V6
2. Urei 1620

Best All-Purpose:
1. Allen & Heath X:One 92
2. Pioneer DJM-800

Best Special Purpose:
1. Allen & Heath X:One 3D
2. Allen & Heath X:One 464

Best 19 Inch:
1. Pioneer DJM-1000
2. Rane MP-44z

Best Mobile:
1. Stanton RM.404
2. Numark CM200

Honorable Mentions:
1. Pioneer DJM-909
2. Urei 1603
3. Vestax PMC-CX
4. Vestax PMC-08
5. Rane MP-24z

Just my .02
Detroitbootybass 10:41 PM - 29 June, 2006
Quote:
No one has mentioned the Urei 1620. This is the mixer that set the club installation standard.

That title and distinction goes to the mixer that the Urei 1620 copied - the original... Bozak CMA-10-2DL.

;-)
brotha reese 11:27 PM - 29 June, 2006
i love the way the bozak sounds,i wish that they made 10 inch mixer with the bozak sound. very warm sounding.
deejayfatcat 11:34 PM - 29 June, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
No one has mentioned the Urei 1620. This is the mixer that set the club installation standard.

That title and distinction goes to the mixer that the Urei 1620 copied - the original... Bozak CMA-10-2DL.

;-)

Correct answer.

All jokes aside, this mixer has a knack for warming up digital sources. Vinyl sound just amazing out of it.

I happen to have a very rare one that has a/b aux's and a booth out, both factory.
Trat 11:48 PM - 29 June, 2006
Allen & Heath CTRL version. Sorry Rane, but this thing is the über mixer if you look at it as a controler and mixer in one.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 2:13 AM - 30 June, 2006
ok, sorry, but all that hatin' on the ol Radio Shack's Realistic mixer with no fader cgi.ebay.com...

... in my book, this is the best mixer in my world. with out it, i would not be who i am, i would not have taken such a path down that road, not have met all these people (including my wife)... i dunno, that's my fav.
Trat 7:37 AM - 30 June, 2006
And for like $2, it's yours!!
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 12:27 PM - 30 June, 2006
Quote:
And for like $2, it's yours!!

i've already got my original (all beat up and crackling)
i just might go for this....say's it's in mint condition and never used. Thanks Trat!
Prime-X 5:30 PM - 29 October, 2006
To me....

1st Place would be Allen & Heath Zone 3D
2nd Rane TTM-57SL
3rd now that is hard...can't think of anything...
DJJOHNNYM 7:46 PM - 29 October, 2006
MAN, all you guys are wrong....

Here's my baby right here....

i7.ebayimg.com

OK, so I'm OLD SKOOL! And yes, I do own a Technics Pro DJ Mixer SH-DX1200, and will eventually buy a Pioneer 4,7, or 9 hundred something....but hey, it is what it is...
DJJOHNNYM 7:47 PM - 29 October, 2006
I just wish RANE would come out with a SPLIT CUE FUNCTION on one of these mixers, so I can do stuff within my HEADPHONES w/out worrying about a monitor....sheesh!
1200LTD 1:55 AM - 30 October, 2006
It depends on where are you gonna use it.... House, Hip Hop, Competition, Club, Mobile or Recording. : )
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 9:03 AM - 30 October, 2006
was sup Johnny! our lil mixers are probly older than some djs here :)

img224.imageshack.us
DJJOHNNYM 1:30 PM - 30 October, 2006
Quote:
was sup Johnny! our lil mixers are probly older than some djs here :)

img224.imageshack.us

OMG!!! That pic is HILARIOUS!

Check this one out....

www.djjohnnym.com
AMF 2:08 PM - 30 October, 2006
Quote:
To me....

2nd Rane TTM-57SL

I'd say the Pioneer 909 is number 3. But DJJOHNNYM is makin' a great case for that radio shack mixer ;-)
DJJOHNNYM 2:57 PM - 30 October, 2006
Quote:
ok, sorry, but all that hatin' on the ol Radio Shack's Realistic mixer with no fader cgi.ebay.com...

... in my book, this is the best mixer in my world. with out it, i would not be who i am, i would not have taken such a path down that road, not have met all these people (including my wife)... i dunno, that's my fav.

YEAH YOU TELL 'EM!....lol That I've found another Radio Shack diehard on here....

Mike you are COOL IN MY BOOK!
AMF 3:15 PM - 30 October, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
To me....

2nd Rane TTM-57SL

I'd say the Pioneer 909 is number 3. But DJJOHNNYM is makin' a great case for that radio shack mixer ;-)

F**K IT. The Realistic mixer is #3!!!!!!!!!!! Period.
djtonypsalms 3:21 PM - 30 October, 2006
DJJOHNNYM... Dope... That the RS mixer I started with too. :)
DJJOHNNYM 3:24 PM - 30 October, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
To me....

2nd Rane TTM-57SL

F**K IT. The Realistic mixer is #3!!!!!!!!!!! Period.

LOL! If you think about it, what other mixers have been around since 1984?
AMF 3:43 PM - 30 October, 2006
Good point. Radio shack was the Guitar Center of '85. That was my only outlet for dj gear.
grrillatactics 6:44 PM - 30 October, 2006
My favorite mixer in the whole wide world:

Rane TTM57SL