DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Using the Hercules RMX with scratch Live

DJPanos 11:59 PM - 16 April, 2009
Guys I bought the RMX to use on the go with serato live and I am seeing other dj's being successfull at it. I can map different things on it but the source buttons I cannot get to work.
Using VDJ they work fine but without vdj they are not an option. How do you control the sources on serato?

Is it possible to use the RMX with the SL1???

Thank you
dj_soo 12:41 AM - 17 April, 2009
oh boy.

Scratch live is not designed to be a controller-only program. You still need turntables or CDJs and a DJ mixer to actually use it.

You can assign the midi controller to control functions, but you will not be able to mix using only the program and the controller.
Thanasis 1:11 PM - 22 April, 2009
You can assing every button of the console to almost every function of scratch live including library. Even the pitch sliders. You cannot assing the jog wheels,the mixer sliders and the crossfader. You can use Scratch Live in internal mode, you can assing play to the play button, the set cue to the cue or stop button, the pitch slider and you can also assign 2 button for pitch bend. This will help you beat match the 2 tracks. I tried it and it worked. It is not the most comfortable way to perform in a gig but since scatch live has the best sound ever i think it is worth to try to get used to this way of mixing
DJ LTIZZZLE 1:42 PM - 22 April, 2009
You need to hit the ITCH forum bruh.. SSL is for professional Dj's. ITCH is for midi controlers.
skratchworx 1:59 PM - 22 April, 2009
ITCH doesn't work with MIDI controllers, just dedicated hardware designed with ITCH as a core software component. ITCH will not work with the RMX.

If you use a WIndows XP based PC, you may be able to use the SL-1 as a sound card via ASIO drivers, but it won't work on a Mac.
DJPanos 12:37 AM - 27 April, 2009
I should've explained that I am using the SL-1 for the timecode I just wanted to use the RMX for the video fading :). Was curious since I had the RMX if I could save some money from buying another Midi mixer :)
DJ Terry Moran 2:15 PM - 8 June, 2009
Hi kids,
I am also looking to run my SSL1 with Vinyl and use the video plugin and the Hercules RMX as a mixer/midi box to control the software. I had a late night attempt the other night, but was not successful.
Has anyone used the RMX as a mixer/midi box to control the video plugin? I know I can run a regular mixer and use a Korg, but I am looking to have control over the crossfader for video mixing.
I appreciate any insight, these boards have helped me a lot.
Regards,
-T
www.Myspace.com
[]v[] u z ! K 10:38 AM - 13 December, 2010
Ok..

I'm a vinyl user with the SL1 and have been for years but I understand the need for portability and turntables are sometimes a bit clunky for say background music in a pub etc.. fair enough, controllers werent really the intended purpose for SSL but cdj400's etc work perfectly using HID control/midi, so its versatile.

say for instance you have a midi controller that doubles as an audio mixer...
isnt it possible to control scratch live in internal mode whilst at the same time mixing the outputted audio from the SL1 box?

if the RMX also alows the mixing of inputted audio & usb midi control then its entirely feisable that you could use it as both controller and mixer.

anyone using this configuration or similar?
RnBDJkb 11:40 PM - 14 December, 2010
ITCH will not work with the RMX.
Not true..I have used the RMX with Itch, I just had to open/configure the supplied software VDJ prior to opening Itch.Run both programs at same time,just minimize VDJ software because all you use it for is the soundcard. The RMX will act as your soundcard and works well. I just don't like VDJ for mixing audio/music.
Has anyone used the RMX as a mixer/midi box to control the video plugin?
Yes as I mentioned earlier I have used it but not to control video through SSL.
I used RMX to control video in the VDJ software flawless.
I have purchased the SSL video but have not successfully configured to work w/o dropouts. I don't think it is ready yet but that is my personal 2cents.
if the RMX also alows the mixing of inputted audio & usb midi control then its entirely feisable that you could use it as both controller and mixer.
This scenario while true would mean using the RMG jog wheels to mix or mix on SSL internal mode. Jog wheel mixing sucks and I don't mean any harm to the jog wheel DJs out there...

Good luck Bro.
KYLE SMILE 11:57 PM - 14 December, 2010
Hi guys, i use the Denon DN-HC4500 with a Macbook + SL1. I run in internal mode and the controller is plug and play with the software. This controls all 5 hot cues, looping, the jog wheel and scratching, pitch control and more. It also shows the track details on the denon screen.

I've been using this around a year now and it works brilliantly.

So, you could use the RMX to do almost all the same - just not the jog wheel as this only works with a HiD compatable controller.
damehype 5:03 AM - 15 December, 2010
Quote:
You need to hit the ITCH forum bruh.. SSL is for professional Dj's. ITCH is for midi controlers.

Laughable at best. I use Itch and I get paid for every gig I do. I think I qualify as a "professional". GTF outta here lol
Doctorjon 6:17 AM - 15 December, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Laughable at best. I use Itch and I get paid for every gig I do. I think I qualify as a "professional". GTF outta here lol

I've seen djs with scratch-live that aren't even close to being pro. Don't think just cause you got the best tools your a pro dj. Are we talking about DJ GEORGE?
Chineit 4:04 AM - 8 March, 2011
Hi guys,
I'm about to buy the RMX and I like the idea of mixing house/electro/techno music, but I have never mixed before and I wanted to know if I could have some help. I would really appreciate it. I'm currently in college and would like to start making some money out of college parties, and not just that but for fun too. I do not know what else to buy, I just thought that by buying the RMX I would mix, but I don't know what else I need. Is there any way you guys could help me?
Thanks in advance.
-fDg
[]v[] u z ! K 12:08 PM - 8 March, 2011
for the RMX use either ITCH TRAKTOR or VIRTUAL DJ
Dj Farhan 7:37 PM - 8 March, 2011
^ how is itch gonna work with rmx?
KYLE SMILE 8:18 PM - 8 March, 2011
Quote:
Hi guys,
I'm about to buy the RMX and I like the idea of mixing house/electro/techno music, but I have never mixed before and I wanted to know if I could have some help. I would really appreciate it. I'm currently in college and would like to start making some money out of college parties, and not just that but for fun too. I do not know what else to buy, I just thought that by buying the RMX I would mix, but I don't know what else I need. Is there any way you guys could help me?
Thanks in advance.
-fDg

Depends how serious and far you want to take it. To be honest, you could easily buy a cheap $100-200 controller, link it to a laptop and virtual dj and you're away doing stuff the pro's can do.

In more recent years i've taken a wider view on using controllers and moved to midi 6mths ago after 10years of club and festival djing.

Lots mock midi, but it's mainly because they're scared they can't move with the times and improve their own skills to be better than the systems that make djing easier by the day.
DJ Deebar 10:55 PM - 8 March, 2011
Depends how serious and far you want to take it. To be honest, you could easily buy a cheap $100-200 controller, link it to a laptop and virtual dj and you're away doing stuff the pro's can do.

yeah! true! I started with VDJ before hopping in to serato.. I started using this one..

I start with this cheap Controller..

www.numark.com

Then after I master everything and I start using CD's, I upgrade to this..

www.numark.com
KYLE SMILE 11:17 PM - 8 March, 2011
Yep, to be honest. Apart from added loop buttons and fx, there isn't much difference between cheap controllers and expensive ones.
DJ Deebar 11:59 PM - 8 March, 2011
Quote:
Yep, to be honest. Apart from added loop buttons and fx, there isn't much difference between cheap controllers and expensive ones.

Indeed.. VDJ has a lot of stuff that serato don't have.. ^_^
When I was starting to DJ, I just used VDJ and a Laptop. without having any hardware.. hahaha...
KYLE SMILE 1:01 AM - 9 March, 2011
VDJ is the best software by far for features, so long as you have it on a computer with a top spec.

It's ease of mapping and features is way ahead of the rest.

Problem is, it's not so good when stretching beats and its library system isn't so good in my opinion. Serato beats the rest by a mile on that one.
DJ Deebar 5:08 PM - 9 March, 2011
Yeah! exactly! VDJ has a lot of features and for effects.. it's just that, serato has a good library system.. hehehe...