Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Serato analyzation - Revolutionized?! You must read this one. Seriously...

DJwhizkid 12:46 AM - 9 December, 2014
I thought about an idea that can change some aspects of using Serato in a dramatic way.

Picture this:
1. You're buying new tracks and add them to your Serato library.
2. You analyze the songs with Serato, however some songs are incorrectly analyzed and you get some bad BPM/Grids/Key.
3. You pick the songs you want to fix and drag them into the new feature box called "SeratoPeerSync" (or something like that).
4. Serato searches in a database for the selected songs and fix them accordingly with the right BPM/Grids/Key.
5. You're done.

Well… you're probably asking right now how does it work?

Imagine a huge database (Wiki style) of songs that is being updated constantly by us ,serato users, with advanced songs analyzation.
This database contains details about songs like BPM/Grids/Loops/Cues/Tags etc - again, info that has been updated by Serato users.
When you sync your songs with it, the "PeerSync" looks for the songs in the Serato database and update the chosen songs info by it.

Think about it for a minute - this kind of a database engine can be very effective in many ways and can replace so many other tools:
Key Labeling
Live music Beat grids
Correct BPMs
"Ideal labeled Cues" - sure we wanna set our own cues but if you got a nice set of cues as a first suggestion than why not.

Of course its pretty complicated and demand some deep serious thinking about how exactly it will work, but i think It is possible and worth the time and resource investment.

In my opinion, it can be a powerful system that can significantly improve the way we use Serato, and can be a huge advantage of Searto and a serious move towards a bigger and happier Searto community.

What do you think…?
Heltino 9:10 AM - 9 December, 2014
the idea is awesome!

my only question here is how to validate the db entries.

for example: a track is gridded by me incorrectly, I´ll upload it to the database.
result would be: everybody is receiving the incorrect grid.

another example:
a track is already in the database. how to differenciate if the existing track is better in grid or the requested new upload?

there would be some validation inside of the database needed.

and this seems a hard job....at least I have no technical idea how to solve that without a manual revision.
DJwhizkid 10:11 AM - 9 December, 2014
You are right, it has some points that need to be worked out.

Maybe the database can store multiple versions of the same track, and when using the sync you can choose between several versions when such are needed.

Another thing, it is possible to implement a "report" function to report poor analyzing/analyzers or "certified" for ,well, certified versions.
/
Or a rakning system that will rank the different analyzing and "throw out" poor analyzing results.

Lets think about the scenario you've mentioned.
You upload some bad analyzing.
The database check if there are previous versions to this song.
If there are certified versions- than it can store your version as 2nd or 3rd option.
Now lets say I'm syncing this song - The database will automatically give me the better versions, but if I want to see some other versions than i can look for other versions.
If I bump into your bad version i can report/flag it as a poor analyzing.

Something like that…

Again, It is complicated and demand some creativity and deep thinking but it will be worth it for sure.
Heltino 7:32 PM - 9 December, 2014
Quote:
The database will automatically give me the better versions, but if I want to see some other versions than i can look for other versions.
If I bump into your bad version i can report/flag it as a poor analyzing.

Something like that…

Again, It is complicated and demand some creativity and deep thinking but it will be worth it for sure.

how should a database decide what is "the best version"?
you'll receive the first uploaded version, or the newest uploaded version....anything else would require some intelligence behind that can decide what is good or not.
here I see the issues.

I like the idea...but to realize?
hm....
DjSyndic8 7:50 PM - 9 December, 2014
Your talking about a program like "Tune up" (www.tuneupmedia.com) but for remixes and dj edits these programs are 85% correct, Ive never seen a software that is spot on after songs have been analyzed
DJwhizkid 8:09 PM - 9 December, 2014
Not the database decide what is better…. The users decide.
Like sellers in E-bay. Its about "reputation" of users.
The database give you the highest ranked analyzations, it doesn't decide whats better .
Its an evolving database, where the users do the job.
DJwhizkid 8:13 PM - 9 December, 2014
With this kind of a system one user that analyze the song correctly will save the trouble for everybody else. If its bad then users will flag it as such and the database will use better (higher ranked) analyzation.
Pitt R 4:58 PM - 12 December, 2014
I think it would be better how it works scan or (beatgrid), Serato is the only djsoftware which give strong fail in this aspect. Even VirtualDJ works better in this aspect, and not synchronize with any database ...
DJwhizkid 5:03 PM - 12 December, 2014
Can you give a concrete example. name one song that serato analyze worse then vdj. Im curious…
Pitt R 5:51 PM - 12 December, 2014
j balvin ft. farruko - 6am (prod. by infinity music).mp3 88 bpm in both but bet grid works well in virtual dj. in serato need of adjustment...
DJwhizkid 6:43 PM - 12 December, 2014
well if it gets the right BPM, its only a matter of slipping the grid for the 1 down beat. sot such a big deal...
Pitt R 6:53 PM - 12 December, 2014
agree, but as long as other software works correctly as possible, Serato why it would not work the same way? Frankly are very disappointed with Serato, I used VirtualDJ & TraktorDJ but I did not expect that Serato is so stupid.
DJwhizkid 6:58 PM - 12 December, 2014
Im sure other softwares miss the grid as well sometimes. :)
Pitt R 9:43 PM - 12 December, 2014
a yes! but Serato is the champion, and so much more are nervous that for Numark ns7ii not find maping...no problem I create one for traktor already, so these topics seem rather strange (expecting suggestions in this forum) I found this forum move dj who complain of these things in 2010, SERATO !! WE 2015 and have not deigned to fix things up this year, which I trust? How can I be so stupid to think that will quickly resolve even 5 of my list? I think it is a big lie to this forum, we write here and they do what they want, I do not think anyone really stand to read to take into account the ideas and issues that we relate. Good luck SERATO!
Mr. Goodkat 11:13 PM - 12 December, 2014
it takes such a short time to get it right, and like heltino said, it would be hard to get it sorted to right or wrong.

SDJ allows for flexible grids so some people could be doing different setups for songs depending on user.
Heltino 10:32 PM - 16 December, 2014
what I would see as real improvement for the beat gridding topic:

please give us a deeper zoom into the track as for example Traktor does.
full zoom level in SDJ is like the bird view within Traktor.

a deeper zoom allows much more accurate gridding and helps as well on tricky tracks.

simple, but effective!
DJwhizkid 9:28 AM - 22 December, 2014
Quote:
it takes such a short time to get it right, and like heltino said, it would be hard to get it sorted to right or wrong.

Well you're right when it comes to steady constant BPM music, But if you'll try to beat grid a classic rock song you will find it quiet challenging. And for the right and wrong - the users themselves will decide for themselves what is good or wrong. Whats right will be right for everyone, and vice versa.