Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Two OSX versions using the same library and files?

BleedR 12:30 PM - 19 November, 2014
As having problems with Yosemite I downgraded to Mavericks. Now I have a lot of problems because of syncing stuff and options I want to use in Yosemite.
Now I had the great idea, to put back my Yosemite backup and create an additional partition where I would install Mountain Lion as this one is supposed to work perfect with 1.7.x.
My question is if it works or how can I make it work that I can use my library and files from the Yosemite Partition under Maintain Lion.
I mean I would create exact the same user in 10.8 so from root the location would be the same, but on another drive (partition). Can I easily change the root data in the library file or do I have to reimport all tracks? And will I be able to access those, as I'm using FileVault for the whole drive and my Yosemite user is an admin user.

Tnx!
BleedR 1:04 PM - 19 November, 2014
Alright I can answer this myself, if someone else is interested!
You just need to be able to change the homefolder to the one of the other user and partition (which should be possible). Then you can user it on the other OS X. This should be a great alternative for everyone who wants a stable working SDJ! Will try it out and report if it doesn't work out!
DJ Remix Detroit 3:25 PM - 19 November, 2014
BleedR,

i did some trouble shooting myself by using separate partitions to run SDJ with different OS's.

I have to agree that running a separate partition dedicated strictly to SDJ/SSL is the way to go that way it can eliminate most chances for conflicting app/programs to cause problems with SDJ/SSL.

I know it's been suggested before to just create a new profile, but i think installed programs/apps can still creep into the new profile and run in the background.
DJ Remix Detroit 3:28 PM - 19 November, 2014
i have a dual drive setup in my MBP, so all of my tracks and _serato_ folders are stored on the secondary drive and automatically show up in the new partition.

but it would be interesting to find if it's possible to use your root data on a new partition without having to re-import everything.
BleedR 5:29 PM - 19 November, 2014
I'm just trying it out, if it works out I will post the solution, so everybody using Yosemite will have a way of using Serato DJ without messing their gigs up!
BleedR 5:37 PM - 19 November, 2014
Well 10.8 can't be installed on my new MacBook Air... this sucks and not in a good way :(
BleedR 6:50 PM - 19 November, 2014
It does work! Just having problems with encrypted partitions ;)
deejdave 3:42 AM - 20 November, 2014
Interesting idea's. Would probably work. My work laptops have nothing BUT Serato, Traktor & Rekordbox on them which obviously only one is ran at any give time so it is similar to what is being attempted here. As a matter of fact I don't even connect them to the internet unless I am updating software, firmware, or activating an expansion or something.

BTW I have Yosemite on one, Mavericks on two and Mountain Lion on the last.

Nice stuff. Interested to see how it plays out.
BleedR 6:48 AM - 20 November, 2014
I got it to work, but there are some Library bugs that Serato DJ has :(
So you mainly have to update or relocate your files to /Volume/HD Drive/User...
Then it works on both partitions, (usually SDJ does its library starting from /User...)

Unfortunately it messed up after relocating and deleted all found files :(
I'm getting bored to fight with bugs, solving one and getting 5 in return :(
DJ Remix Detroit 11:22 AM - 20 November, 2014
Quote:
Well 10.8 can't be installed on my new MacBook Air... this sucks and not in a good way :(

why not?
monchi 11:40 AM - 20 November, 2014
Want to install 10.9.5 but need to install 10.9 first. remix do you know where I can DL app store does nit carry it anymore (on line)
monchi 11:42 AM - 20 November, 2014
Remix should I go from 10.6.8 straight to 10.10 thanks
deejdave 3:46 PM - 20 November, 2014
The OSX does not really matter. Use which ever runs then download the newest Beta version (which will be similar to final release) of 1.7.2.

Why not just wipe the HDD. Give it a fresh install then use the laptop strictly for DJing. If you can swing this (which I know is not always possible) your chances are all the greater at having success IMO.
DJ Remix Detroit 4:04 PM - 20 November, 2014
Quote:
Want to install 10.9.5 but need to install 10.9 first. remix do you know where I can DL app store does nit carry it anymore (on line)

i'll hit you up with my email in PM

Quote:
Remix should I go from 10.6.8 straight to 10.10 thanks

to be honest with you, I would just create a separate partition on your hard drive and just do a clean install of OS X mountain lion. From what i've been researching on this forum and from my own personal troubleshooting, OS X Mountain Lion seems to be the most stable across from the majority of MBP's and is probably your safest bet for stability.

And it's always a good idea to back up your hard drive and do a clean install when doing Major OS X updates. A lot of people run into performance issues when they just 'upgrade' instead of wiping and doing a 'clean install'
DJ Remix Detroit 4:10 PM - 20 November, 2014
Ive been using Snow Leopard for the longest with SSL but decided to upgrade OS X because of the sync capabilities with IOS 8 and my iPad/iphone. So it's up to you whether or not you want to go with 10.10 or 10.95.

As far as everyday computing, i haven't had any issues at all with Yosemite.
monchi 4:56 PM - 20 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

i'll hit you up with my email in PM

Awesome, thanks Remix