DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Cassie Me & You Reggaeton Remix!

dj synystr 1:23 PM - 9 May, 2006
for any of you who play reggaeton this will get them going nuts! check it out if you can use it great if not cool. it has a 20 second intro for mixing it in easier and has a 20 second fade out after the last vocals. its at 256k so quality is good 2 go!

www.djsynystr.com
Revolutionary 3:02 PM - 9 May, 2006
Very nice track, synystr!

I don't know how to describe it, but it sounds like it's in the wrong key.
Revolutionary 3:03 PM - 9 May, 2006
The vocals, I mean.
dj synystr 3:09 PM - 9 May, 2006
thats her voice dude, lol
Revolutionary 3:27 PM - 9 May, 2006
Yeah, but it's still off ;)
dj synystr 3:32 PM - 9 May, 2006
not on my end playboy, just like nina sky off key there too. but still a hit!
eugene 3:37 PM - 9 May, 2006
it does sound pretty offf key
AMF 3:43 PM - 9 May, 2006
Quote:
it does sound pretty offf key

Sorry, I think so too... but that beat iz knockin' tho.
nik39 3:44 PM - 9 May, 2006
Cool beat, but definitly off key.
nik39 3:45 PM - 9 May, 2006
At least mismatching harmonics.
dj synystr 3:51 PM - 9 May, 2006
lol omg its how her cvoice is, its how the original sounds. she sings off key on allllll her cuts.
Dj Ryme 3:58 PM - 9 May, 2006
nah its the track, not the vocals.
dj synystr 3:59 PM - 9 May, 2006
what r u talking about.
shmok1 4:11 PM - 9 May, 2006
the vocals just don't match the beat, harmonically. the intro sounds a lil weird too, like you recorded some warped vinyl..?!
anyway, thx for sharing, appreciate it!
dj synystr 4:13 PM - 9 May, 2006
no problem but again its the original accy, and original instr of two seperate tracks didnt even really have to touch pitch much for it.
mexicannnnnn 4:15 PM - 9 May, 2006
Yeah its sounds good except the intro... its kinda speeding up and slowing down.
dj synystr 4:18 PM - 9 May, 2006
yeah but it stays on beat its odd.
mexicannnnnn 4:26 PM - 9 May, 2006
Was this all recorded from vinyl? Maybe your platter is hitting the bottom... it happened to me. The platter was rubbing so it would slow down when it rubs and then speeds up right after its done rubbing.

It wasn't a huge deal but you get that bit of weird sound flucuations.
dopemc 4:33 PM - 9 May, 2006
sounds like shit dawg...
dj synystr 4:35 PM - 9 May, 2006
lol, anyway. nah it was from a digital vinyl source. im gonna rip it from vinyl and redo it cause now that im listening for it its louder and louder. had do have been a bad file transfer then.
mexicannnnnn 4:47 PM - 9 May, 2006
Use PnT and it will hide those little speed changes.
nik39 4:55 PM - 9 May, 2006
Most likely not a bad file transfer, it wouldnt slow down/speed up, it would play be a broken file.

mex, then you would need to know when the changes apply.
mexicannnnnn 4:59 PM - 9 May, 2006
Right... hmm I was thinking of key lock on a CDJ/TT.
dj synystr 5:00 PM - 9 May, 2006
it was the mp3, will have the new one up in a few
dj synystr 5:10 PM - 9 May, 2006
ok fixed! damn mp3 servers, lol. thanks for catching it.
nik39 5:14 PM - 9 May, 2006
Better. But still the keys/harmonics dont match. Plus I think how you started the acap. is too early, cause the real beat hits in later (1 or 2 bars). But thats only my interpretation.
dj synystr 5:16 PM - 9 May, 2006
ok well its reggaeton and the beat is starting at the 20 secondish mark and thats where the verse starts.
Revolutionary 6:48 PM - 9 May, 2006
Quote:
Use PnT and it will hide those little speed changes.

Exactly...Couldn't you also fix the harmonics with that thing too?
twinsouls 9:54 PM - 9 May, 2006
Give you props dj synystr for posting this song. Sorry though for the negative attention but I agree with the others. I'm gonna post a mix soon on this Forum soon so everyone can tell me how crappy my mix is.But hopefully they point out the exact crappy parts. See how we help keep each other on top of their game here? I Love It!
mexicannnnnn 10:19 PM - 9 May, 2006
HAHA, I liked the remix just thought the flucuation in the initial version was very noticable.

I liked the longer intro before though.
dj synystr 1:24 PM - 10 May, 2006
it didnt do it in this one though now right?
mexicannnnnn 2:11 PM - 10 May, 2006
Right.
dj synystr 2:21 PM - 10 May, 2006
ok cool. now i just gotta learn about harmonics! LOL
Dj Metro 8:27 PM - 10 May, 2006
slow the beat...scrap the vocals.......sound like old skool reggaeton
D-Twizzle 8:48 PM - 10 May, 2006
If you post up the acapella and the beat, I can probably match them in the right key for you.
mexicannnnnn 9:25 PM - 10 May, 2006
Quote:

Me 2! :-)
dj solomon 2:17 AM - 11 May, 2006
Quote:

This is the one of the BIGGEST problems in the masup wolrd, djs who buy themselves simple editing software and assume that because the two tracks are the same tempo they will sound good.
Unfortunately this is usually not the case. Dont worry synystr, its not just you, this is a super common problem in the mashup remix world.
Here is an example of this cassie song mashed with outstanding (by the gap band) and both songs are perfectly in KEY, I am suuuuper feelin' this track:

www.myspace.com
Its the cassie dj g2 outsanding mash (the 1st one in the player)

Here is one i did with Snoop Signs over Patrice Rushen's Forget me nots, big ups to the inhumaz for the instrumental edit of forgetme nots! Totally in KEY.

www.djsolomon.net

Its never to late to learn harmony, I think it would be a good lesson for all djs, just look at what folks like dj enferno are doing with their musical knowledge! You can pick up a basic harmony or jazz theory book, or even better take a music theory class from your local community college.
mexicannnnnn 2:53 AM - 11 May, 2006
Solomon good idea!
Thundercat 3:48 AM - 11 May, 2006
I'll cosign on that solomon. Some people have a natural ear for it, and some have to work at it. Just like anything else. If you never studied music, music theory, played an instrument, etc. it is never too late to learn. A poor harmonic mix is just as bad as an outright trainwreck.

I would highly recommend taking up an instrument like piano or guitar. Even if only as a hobby.
mexicannnnnn 3:55 AM - 11 May, 2006
I tought myself how to play guitar... but I didnt teach myself harmonics. It's something I need to work on.
nik39 10:08 AM - 11 May, 2006
Quote:
This is the one of the BIGGEST problems in the masup wolrd, djs who buy themselves simple editing software and assume that because the two tracks are the same tempo they will sound good.

Exactly. I am not sure about keys either, but it surprises me sometimes how little DJs "hear" and feel wrong keys. You dont have to know the theory to at least feel something is wrong. At least if its obvious wrong, which is the case with many blends (even those pressed on vinyls).