Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Question to DJs. Usage of Serato DJ Loop Behaviour

Neil Cutler 7:22 AM - 13 November, 2014
I came across a loop behaviour in Serato DJ that Serato Staff has verified has been there for most of Serato DJ's history. But neither I nor the staff member knows if this behaviour is actually used by any DJs when using loops.

The behaviour:
-Make a loop and shift it beyond the current playhead position
-1/2x it.
-Loop starting point suddenly shifts to the current play position (instead of maintaining itself where it was in the future)

I've found that this doesn't effect my playing, until I am preparing songs with saved loops. Then all of a sudden this behaviour causes a lot of extra steps when I'm shifting the loop around to find the best section that I like.

I'm now curious if any DJ actually uses this behaviour in their playing to their advantage?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 1:59 AM - 14 November, 2014
Hey Neil,

There's no right or wrong answer it's more just a preference thing and making sure this workflow caters to the majority. We're quite interested in getting some feedback on this too. Personally I think halving the active loop (that is ahead of the playhead) should not jump the loop back to current playhead position, purely because it's quite hard to execute precisely and see what's going to happen until you do it. You're kind of going in blind and hoping it does what you think. If you half or double a loop it should half or double the active loop not change it's position, I think.
Neil Cutler 7:39 AM - 14 November, 2014
That's been my exact thought too, but this question is actually because I'm genuinely interested if a DJ uses this behaviour for an advantage.
&Midge 8:20 AM - 15 November, 2014
Hey Neil and Logan,

Just my thoughts on looping in general.

I find the play ahead function ready hard to deal with if I loop roll inside a loop (and at other times if i'm not fully switched on).

For example:

Set an 8 beat loop and loop 4 times, then loop roll. The play ahead works off this data 8 x 4 + length of loop roll = being jumped so far ahead (32+abit beats) it's mostly impossible to keep track of.

Long loop rolls can sometimes catch me out if I'm not completely on it, as the play ahead might jump further or shorter then expected.

Play Ahead Marker This was suggested by another user on the forum and could really help in many situations. I thought that was a great idea.

Another function I would really like to see.

Half loops by end point not start point.

This option would allow users to save an 8 beat loop, during the last 8 beats of the build up of the main section just before the breakdown. Then half the loop on each time to stall the break point in the track and to create a more dramatic build up to the break.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 12:51 AM - 17 November, 2014
Hey &Midge,

A little off-topic from the looping scenario we're talking about, but good examples nonetheless.

Quote:
I find the play ahead function ready hard to deal with if I loop roll inside a loop (and at other times if i'm not fully switched on).

I'm a little confused by this one. Loop rolling when a loop is active will just turn the current loop off, perform a loop roll at the current playhead position, and then jump the playhead to the position it would have been in had the loop roll not being engaged.

Quote:
Play Ahead Marker This was suggested by another user on the forum and could really help in many situations. I thought that was a great idea.

Yup, great idea. This concept already exists in Slicer mode when triggering a slice, you'll see the actual ghost playhead carry on playing. I'll double checked this is logged as a feature suggestion.

Quote:

This could be cool, especially for the example you've given. I think most people still prefer the basic way it works now (end by start point), so it would probably need to be a Setup option. Do you think DJs who would use this, would just leave this option on, or would they toggle it on and off during a performance? As that could be quite annoying.
Neil Cutler 6:22 AM - 18 November, 2014
Quote:

Quote:

This could be cool, especially for the example you've given. I think most people still prefer the basic way it works now (end by start point), so it would probably need to be a Setup option. Do you think DJs who would use this, would just leave this option on, or would they toggle it on and off during a performance? As that could be quite annoying.

I thought this idea was well worth looking at. One of those features that could really open up new ways of using a loop, but hard to know until you actually try it. I saw this as a toggle much like Slip Mode is now, turn it on and it jumps to end, easily MIDI mappable.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 8:28 AM - 27 November, 2014
Actually now that I think about it, the way we're looking at implementing Beat Jump will allow you to achieve exactly this. When you're editing the IN or OUT point of a loop you can Beat Jump that IN/OUT point by the beat jump value. So in order for you to do the above, you'll just need to hit IN then beat jump -> and you'll be able to do it.

That's the plaaaaaan anyway.
&Midge 12:48 PM - 27 November, 2014
Hey Logan,

Arrhh right, I think I follow what your saying and if it would work as I understand the loop could be reduced by 1 beat ever time everytime IN and Beat Jump are pressed together?That would great and simply way to implement this.

Sure it could be done in setup menu (this might be restrictive), or a midi mapped button as Neil suggests (this is better in my mind than a setup menu option). There are many ways to skin a cat but the fact you see the potential of this is great and the possibility I might be able to loop like this is even better :)

Quote:
I'm a little confused by this one. Loop rolling when a loop is active will just turn the current loop off, perform a loop roll at the current playhead position, and then jump the playhead to the position it would have been in had the loop roll not being engaged.

My bad on this one SDJ works exactly as you say it should and I had not checked. However, go back to SSL and this doesn't behave the same. The roll exits the loop at the current to the current playhead position + the number of loops. Check it and you will see what I mean. Start a track with a 8 beat loop, stay in that loop 4 times and now exit with a loop roll. The exit isn't just outside the loop it is 32 beats forwards. The fact the SDJ no longer does this is great because I mostly loop in and out of the mix and it now works as it should.

Quote:
I'm now curious if any DJ actually uses this behaviour in their playing to their advantage?

Neil, I've not really experienced this myself as I only really use loops at the start and the end (I can't get them to do what I want the rest of the time) and I don't really x2 function, but I can't this being an advantage to anyone either.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 9:58 PM - 27 November, 2014
Quote:
Arrhh right, I think I follow what your saying and if it would work as I understand the loop could be reduced by 1 beat ever time everytime IN and Beat Jump are pressed together?That would great and simply way to implement this

Yes, except you don't need to press IN and Beat Jump together. You just press IN once to enable Loop adjust mode, then you can perform the beat jump and it'll work how you want it to.

Quote:
My bad on this one SDJ works exactly as you say it should and I had not checked. However, go back to SSL and this doesn't behave the same. The roll exits the loop at the current to the current playhead position + the number of loops. Check it and you will see what I mean. Start a track with a 8 beat loop, stay in that loop 4 times and now exit with a loop roll. The exit isn't just outside the loop it is 32 beats forwards. The fact the SDJ no longer does this is great because I mostly loop in and out of the mix and it now works as it should.

Oh right I see what you mean now. Yeah we changed that on purpose in SDJ for that exact reason. A lot more functional now :)
&Midge 10:29 PM - 27 November, 2014
cool, that sounds nice and simple :) I guess the beat jump would limited to a 1 beat value and it wouldn't be possible to cut down further 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 etc? I will look forward to the Beat Jump feature being released soon to have a play about with this .

The functionality of the loop roll exit out of a loop is so much better now ;)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 11:27 PM - 27 November, 2014
Nope you'll be able to beat jump any value you like. Well...all the available loop range values.
&Midge 7:52 AM - 28 November, 2014
Right, that sounds super sweet! :)