Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Numark NDX500 and Akai AMX

DJ Ed Wong 9:56 PM - 11 November, 2014
People were making assertions on what the NDX500 did or did not do.

In particular, did the NDX500 display the Serato DJ "TRACK TITLE" in the NDX500 screen.

My contention was that there was no documentation that said it did, tho it sure looks like (based on the screen) that if COULD.

The answer - NO

www.dropbox.com
DJ Ed Wong 10:06 PM - 11 November, 2014
other (5minute observations - compared to a Denon DN-S1000)

Its "taller" as well as "deeper"

It has a more "massive" presence, but obviously less so than the large Pioneer decks

the slot in front is "curved"; it loads FAST (that is the CD physically moves into the machine seemingly quicker than then Denon)

The lights and buttons make it (to me) feel like those cheezy early 80s Japanese car's "digital dashboards"

I hate the Cue/Start buttons (compared to the Denon)

No center detent on the pitch slider

its not documented (at least where I can find it), but to get the NDX500 to control a different deck, the machine must be in MIDI mode, pressing the EJECT button will move from D1>D2>D3>D4>D1

The Hot Cue will integrate with Serato DJ - it loads em into the cue screen

The PLATTER works "better" than the DN-S1000 in DVS mode (but its still no 1200)
deejdave 10:17 PM - 11 November, 2014
Sounds to me like things went south huh?

CRAZY about the text thing. IMO they weaseled that one being it says "Text display for quickly and easily navigating media files". They SHOULD have said "not including while using with software" if this is the case.

Quote:
The PLATTER works "better" than the DN-S1000 in DVS mode (but its still no 1200)

One is a TT the other is a jog wheel. How does it compare to Pioneer CDJ platters? Also are you saying you tried the NDX with DVS or just that the NDX platter in HID feels better than the s1000 in DVS?
Quote:

Always been one of my gripes with Numark hardware. Is is the physical buttons or the cue system you do not like. I remember going from Denon to Pioneer was tough as I was used to the Denon cue system.
deejdave 10:24 PM - 11 November, 2014
Time: Press this button to cycle through the available Time Modes, which determine how time is shown in the display: elapsed time (Elapsed), remaining time on the track (Remain), and total remaining time on an entire CD (Remaining).

Press and hold this button and turn the Track Knob to scroll through the ID3 tags of a selected file with available ID3 information. You can choose to view the Title, Album, Artist, or no ID3 tags.

Have you done this already?

Although after looking at the manual again it does say that the text section is for when using a USB thumb drive.
DJ Ed Wong 10:30 PM - 11 November, 2014
Quote:

One is a TT the other is a jog wheel. How does it compare to Pioneer CDJ platters? Also are you saying you tried the NDX with DVS or just that the NDX platter in HID feels better than the DN-S1000 in DVS?

I was comparing the NDX500 in MIDI mode vs the DN-S1000 in DVS mode

The Denon has a "fake CD" which you push down and "feel" some sort of click button (I dunno - maybe 8 or more in a circle) like an older iPod click wheel. Its better than nothing but wonky IMHO. I never even liked it when I used em as a CD player but it was better than nothing so I got used to it.

The Numark is more of a free floating wheel that has some sort of "capacitive" detection.
Physically touching the wheel acts as a brake/stop.
It appears that that touching the edge (rubber) has a different "frame" effect than the platter

Quote:

Quote:

Always been one of my gripes with Numark hardware. Is is the physical buttons or the cue system you do not like. I remember going from Denon to Pioneer was tough as I was used to the Denon cue system.

Its the "chicklet" feel of the Numark compared to the rubber button of the Denon

Also - the Numark has an audible CLICK.
DJ Ed Wong 10:38 PM - 11 November, 2014
The "action" of the NDX500 in DVS mode (to me) is preferable to its action in MIDI mode...
deejdave 10:40 PM - 11 November, 2014
Wow. NO Bueno!! NOT good at all. Here's the big one. Thus far (I won't hold you to it but am just curious) are you satisfied with your purchase?
DJ Ed Wong 10:59 PM - 11 November, 2014
right now

I sure aint rushing out to get a second NDX500

Im new to the "digital DJ" thing, so I have some odd perceptions about how it "ought" to work

I also don't to "beat juggling" or full bore "electronica" type sets

So most of the dance features are not something I care for

I had a Denon "twin deck" at one time that let you save cue points. (2700?)
It was neat. I played with it a few times. But largely I used it as two decks.

The DN-S1000 at least let me set a different "start" cure point when I wanted to cut out the intro on some songs. But that still was far easier to do on Vinyl (you could SEE where the intro ended).
deejdave 11:05 PM - 11 November, 2014
While using the NDX in HID (or midi I suppose in this case) mode you should have far more options than just that when it comes to cue points. You can set temporary or hot cues to recall at your will.

I am hoping the NDX has a similar platter LED warning or visual aid to let you know when the next cue point is coming etc. so you can visually tell when the intro is ending as well.
DJ Ed Wong 11:22 PM - 11 November, 2014
Quote:
I am hoping the NDX has a similar platter LED warning or visual aid to let you know when the next cue point is coming etc. so you can visually tell when the intro is ending as well.

NOPE

In MIDI mode
I set 3 cue points using the 3 buttons on the NDX
It sets the cue points in Serato

I set a loop in/out point using the NDX

I let it loop

It played across some of the cue points

There is info on the Serato SCREEN about what is going on
Nothing on the NDX

Sorry :(
DJ Ed Wong 12:01 AM - 12 November, 2014
Quote:
Time: Press this button to cycle through the available Time Modes, which determine how time is shown in the display: elapsed time (Elapsed), remaining time on the track (Remain), and total remaining time on an entire CD (Remaining).

Press and hold this button and turn the Track Knob to scroll through the ID3 tags of a selected file with available ID3 information. You can choose to view the Title, Album, Artist, or no ID3 tags.

Have you done this already?

Although after looking at the manual again it does say that the text section is for when using a USB thumb drive.

In MIDI / Controller mode

The TIME button toggles between Elapsed and Remaining
The ">>>>>>" bar shows relative position in the track

The SINGLE button toggles between single and continuous

The PROG button cycles though "[blank - nothing is visible]", "<title>", "<album>", "<artist>", but no text changes on the screen

The FOLDER button toggles between the different library screens (depending on what you have open), the track will scroll up/down in the selected screen.
DJ Ed Wong 12:05 AM - 12 November, 2014
Off the cuff, other than the jog wheel and that it will play a CD (and MP3 from the USB), the AFX is probably more useful....

For now, as far as I can tell, its the cheapest "Serato DJ Midi Mapped ACCESSORY jog wheel device"?
deejdave 2:06 AM - 12 November, 2014
Until they add the 350 it seems that way.
DJ Ed Wong 2:50 AM - 12 November, 2014
Pioneer CDJ350 is like $500

The Numark NDX500 is 1/2 the cost.

I'd prefer to see a DN-S1300 (i.e. and upgraded DN-S1200)

Then again - its really a question of what do you "want"

I'd like a CD player
With a jog wheel
That also controlled Serato DJ in MIDI/HID mode.
Buttons on the player should be ONLY those relevant to playing CDs
So - the Hot Cues - those should be done via another "pad" / accessory.

BTW - the NDX500 is physically sized to be "bridgeable" with the AMX/AFX

So, after thinking about it, I don't see Denon making a DN-S1300 sized like the DN-S1000 / DN-S1200

I kind of see InMusic making
Denon the "high end" controller / CD player to compete with Pioneer.
Akai the dance music controller to compete with Native Instruments
Numark - the entry / mid level DJ company - Mixers, Controllers, basic CD players

And I really don't see a market for a "small" form factor DJ CD player, to say nothing of one that integrated with Serato DJ.

The market wants simple solutions; and what I want to do, is to "complex" for most DJs.

Ideally Id get
-- Unlock the Rane MP26 (and MP25) to act as a SL box
-- DN-S1000 sized units that also had a jog wheel that interacted with Serato DJ
-- A 19" rack box that had the Hot Cues (tho I suppose I could use an AFX for that?)
DJ Ed Wong 3:02 AM - 12 November, 2014
OK

I take some of it back

The Jog Wheel wonkyness is due more to the use of "SCRATCH" mode versus "standard" mode

Pitch slider is too close to the right of the jog wheel....am I gonna have to turn these things "sideways" (lol)
deejdave 3:21 AM - 12 November, 2014
HOLY F I didn't realize the thing was only $250. I am officially purchasing two ASAP now. These will literally be the cheapest Serato DJ devices I will have purchased to date! Thanks for that as I have no idea how I missed this.................

BTW I can see some of your points but in all honesty I feel like InMusic bought Denon to slow their role and remove the competition for Numark. By sales alone Numark would be their flagship DJ brand. Even though I feel Marantz, Denon & Akai ALL have them beat in terms of quality.

Also in regards to anything 19" I believe that ship has sailed. There are two maybe three other users on these forums (one in particular LOL) who still have the deep love for 19" setups but in terms of the masses you are correct in saying "the market" as a whole is leaning far in the other direction.
DJ Ed Wong 3:41 AM - 12 November, 2014
I dunno

A Numark MixDeck Express appears to have a street price of $475
And has a Mic In
(but no hot cue buttons and no DVS capability unless it can be turned on for the CD drives - which IMHO is kinda crippling but hey - if ya want to pay for it)

Also - unless you really need to mix CD to CD, or need to jog wheel BOTH tracks at the same time, I don't see a real need for TWO of the NDX500

Two NDX500 and a single AMX is $750 plus $100 for the DVS...
Thats getting into upper end controller costs

I mean
-- Denon DJ MC6000MK2 has a street price around $700
-- Numark NS7 II has a street price around $1300
-- Pioneer DDJ‑SX2 has a street price around $1000

Tho personally - I HATE the "symmetrical" layout for the pitch slider (to the "outside)
(at least Pioneer seems to agree based on the picture of the DDJ-SX2)
deejdave 4:20 AM - 12 November, 2014
Quote:
Also - unless you really need to mix CD to CD, or need to jog wheel BOTH tracks at the same time, I don't see a real need for TWO of the NDX500

Two NDX500 and a single AMX is $750 plus $100 for the DVS...
Thats getting into upper end controller costs

LOL Needs and costs are two things I tend to disregard. It's all about want here :)
Quote:
-- Denon DJ MC6000MK2 has a street price around $700
-- Numark NS7 II has a street price around $1300
-- Pioneer DDJ‑SX2 has a street price around $1000

I hear ya but I got two out of these three and a lot more to go along with them. I guess it's safe to say I collect these things at this point.
Quote:
I dunno

Quote:
Tho personally - I HATE the "symmetrical" layout for the pitch slider (to the "outside)
(at least Pioneer seems to agree based on the picture of the DDJ-SX2)

Couldn't agree with you more here. My main setup is either my CDJ-2000Nexus's (with Rane 64 or 900SRT) OR my PLX-1000's/1200's so I full appreciate the familiar layout of Pioneer controllers. Not only that in terms of buttons, faders, platters etc they come closest to the real thing which is why I stick with the for the most part ONLY making exceptions with the NS7II and the AMX/AFX combo thus far.
DJ Ed Wong 1:06 PM - 12 November, 2014
well - don't run out at get TWO...

I may do some testing to see how much I REALLY want that jog wheel versus the DN-S1000 click wheel in DVS mode. And for that matter - I should get a set of Serato records; that way I can compare a REAL 1200 "nudge" versus a wheel (and NOTHING I have played with - including the Numark Moving platter thing - does a finger drag the way I recall a 1200 does with a record on a slip mat)

The AFX has the cue buttons and MORE of them (as far as I can tell)
The AFX also has that touch strip for scrub and nudge
deejdave 2:55 PM - 12 November, 2014
The AFX is decent but I haven't been using it I would have to get an additional for real time control of multiple decks like my SP-1
DJ Ed Wong 3:29 PM - 12 November, 2014
This review is MY OPINION based on MY NEEDS as a DJ
Most of my issues are related to MY workflow as a DJ, and are not criticisms of the NDX500 hardware

www.dropbox.com

Side By side testing of the NDX500 (Midi/HID) compared to the DN-S1000 (DVS)

Normally I turn the cross fader off, but having it on here, helps with fast comparisons.

Mainly I'm looking at - does it make sense to KEEP the NDX500, get a second NDX500 (for a pair) or ditch the NDX500

NDX500 advantages as a AUX controller
-- will play USB (tho I haven't testiest it at all, I assume it works)
-- will play CDs (but so will the DN-S1000)
-- has Hot Cue buttons
-- Has Loop In/Out
-- The CUE and Start/Stop buttons interact with Serato
-- The Jog Wheel interacts with Serato (Midi/HiD)
-- the "Scratch" mode adds a second mode of "platter" manipulation speed (touch to stop, spins move the track at a "higher" speed than the edge does; the edge is set up for "nudging" the track)
-- wider variance of pitch control

Comments

-- USB
Well, I'll probably have the Serato with me. So unless I'm really worried about viruses from a USB drive, I can load the USB direct to Serato and play it there

-- Loop In/Out/ReLoop
The DN-S1000 has it too. Its also a royal PITA to use on a CD. Much easier to use in Serato DJ, and if Im doing that, a dedicated controller makes more sense anyway.

-- Hot Cue
I assume these can be midi mapped, the NDX500 has only 3. The AFX has these and more cues. The AMX has the fine control necessary to set up the cue points while "sitting in an airplane", so setting them on the fly is not something I really do anyway (thats not the kind of DJing that I do)

-- Pitch
The DVS running as a CD only goes +/- 10% (thats a DN-S1000 hardware issue I presume). A DVS record (I'm guessing here) does whatever you can do to the LP...(I assume if you turn the platter off and manipulate the LP by hand, you can get "100%" pitch control?)
deejdave 3:51 PM - 12 November, 2014
I would say NDX all the way no?
DJ Ed Wong 10:22 PM - 12 November, 2014
Other than the jog wheel - not really feeling the NDX

its a great CD player if its your first unit; in my case it isn't.
The buttons are neat - esp if you are on a budget; but Im thinking AFX (even 2)

The question is - how much do I need/want the jog wheel?

I am sort of surprised (tho I expect to see one soon - probably from Akai) that there isn't a "modular" jog wheel / pitch slider box that is an official Serato Accessory

As far as playing CDs, eh - with the way things go now - I highly doubt I will need "on the fly" CD jog wheel manipulation of a CD.

If I have Serato with me, put the CD in the Mac, steal the track to the "desktop" and pull it into Serato and manipulate with (that yet to exist jog wheel , or the DVS and a real 1200)
deejdave 3:17 AM - 13 November, 2014
Quote:
Other than the jog wheel - not really feeling the NDX

its a great CD player if its your first unit; in my case it isn't.
The buttons are neat - esp if you are on a budget; but Im thinking AFX (even 2)

The question is - how much do I need/want the jog wheel?

I am sort of surprised (tho I expect to see one soon - probably from Akai) that there isn't a "modular" jog wheel / pitch slider box that is an official Serato Accessory

As far as playing CDs, eh - with the way things go now - I highly doubt I will need "on the fly" CD jog wheel manipulation of a CD.

If I have Serato with me, put the CD in the Mac, steal the track to the "desktop" and pull it into Serato and manipulate with (that yet to exist jog wheel , or the DVS and a real 1200)

Keep in mind they are two different animals. Although ALL accessories the AFX falls into the SUB controller category along with the DDJ-SP-1, Reloop Neon, Denon HC-1000s, etc. The Numark falls in line with the CDJ's. MOST people will purchase the NDX and combine with the mixer of choice as well as their sub controller of choice as will I when I pick them up. They will most likely go along with my AMX to no coincidence.
DJ Ed Wong 1:52 PM - 13 November, 2014
Quote:
Keep in mind they are two different animals. Although ALL accessories the AFX falls into the SUB controller category along with the DDJ-SP-1, Reloop Neon, Denon HC-1000s, etc. The Numark falls in line with the CDJ's. MOST people will purchase the NDX and combine with the mixer of choice as well as their sub controller of choice as will I when I pick them up. They will most likely go along with my AMX to no coincidence.

Understood

The question I am asking myself is "are the extra bells a whistles on the NDX enough to warrant a switch out form the DN-S1000 in a realistic examination of how I DJ?"

And the answer right now is "not really"

This is not the question a DJ is asking who does not already have a pile of gear.

Like the MIC question - I have a way to deal with the lack of a mic on the AMX that is preferable to my workflow. If you didn't have all that gear already, then yeah - it might be a show stopper for you.

In the case of using CDs, I rarely use the "platter" capability on the DN-S1000; the jog wheel on the NDX500 "works a tad better" for a function that I hardly ever use.

The DVS capability (tho I haven't tried it with Technics 1200s) promises to have that "vinyl feel" that none of the controllers I've tried has even come close to. So in gigs where I might be tempted to use the jog wheel in action, I'd also likely have the 1200s in action as well - thus making the access of the jog wheel - moot.

The only time it comes into play is if I wanted to jog wheel a real CD; and in those cases, Im seriously leaning towards just pulling the track into Serato and manipulating it using the DVS...

The Serato / NDX integration is nice, its plug and play, but as you point out - there are lots of things that could be done far DEEPER.
-- track text in the window
-- LED around the platter synch to to the LED in Serato Platters

I suspect that the higher end Pioneer decks integrate that "deeply"?

For a $250 table top CD player - the NDX is great.
Im thinking what I want (and I doubt any one else wants) is a Pioneer CDJ2000nexus that is "smaller".

Maybe I should take a closer look at a MEP-7000?
Ragman 2:58 PM - 13 November, 2014
Quote:
[...]
I kind of see InMusic making
Denon the "high end" controller / CD player to compete with Pioneer.
Akai the dance music controller to compete with Native Instruments
Numark - the entry / mid level DJ company - Mixers, Controllers, basic CD players [...]

The only problem with that theory is that Numark have been making DJ gear across the entire spectrum depending on your budget.
I just purchased the NV and (along with the NS7II) it's a premium quality deck that's a little higher then mid-range IMHO. That's based on build grade. The V7s still have no peers and is one of the best built controllers ever constructed to date.
deejdave 3:46 PM - 13 November, 2014
V7's? In terms of construction alone sure. For me being built like a tank does nothing but add weight. What I need is capabilities.
WarpNote 3:55 PM - 13 November, 2014
The V7 is nice, buddy of mine brings 1 to ALL his gigs.
Main buttons are totally worn out though: play, cue, pitch bend, cuepoint 1....
deejdave 4:07 PM - 13 November, 2014
Yeah it's ONLY the metal parts that are "tank like". Again useless for me but I know others rely on this. I feel like peeps need to start taking better care of their gear LOL.
deejdave 4:07 PM - 13 November, 2014
Plastic bodies honestly ARE the answer for my needs as long as they are durable/
Ragman 5:08 PM - 13 November, 2014
Quote:
Plastic bodies honestly ARE the answer for my needs as long as they are durable/

Then you might want to check out the NV. The construction is very tight. I'm not saying Numark is the bees knees but they have made some strides on their build quality. Which was crap in the past.
deejdave 5:11 PM - 13 November, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Then you might want to check out the NV. The construction is very tight. I'm not saying Numark is the bees knees but they have made some strides on their build quality. Which was crap in the past.

Absolutely agree. I wrote them of FOREVER. Then I was convinced into giving the NS7Ii a chance. The NV is a little small for m tastes (jog wheel-wise) but is a solid piece of hardware it seems.
Ragman 8:40 PM - 13 November, 2014
The workflow of the NV is pretty dam good. The jogs like you said are small, but I can't believe how responsive they made them. The resolution is phenomenal for that size. So good in fact that I'm about the sell my Pio XDJ-Aero (which I love by the way, but the jogs on that are very stiff). :-)
raedonquan 10:15 PM - 28 November, 2014
just got this today.... HID is excellent..... the units face has a high gloss finish making it look sort of a legit looking piece of gear..

Ed is right no real info like track data only elapse time and time remaining...

pushing the eject button makes you select different decks ... so a person can literally use one ndx.

there is some nice resistance to the jog wheel (a lil too much for my liking (im used to pioneer cdj jogs) )

platter spin backs are only one revolution....nothing like HId spin back on a pionneer cdj or the sz (the only static platter i have used)

pitch bend is good on the platter sides and also the (plus) and (minus) buttons

pitch resolution that is written on the unit is 4 8 16 and 100%
on SDJ 6 8 16 and 100%

the buttons what can i say there buttons nice hard click sound (not rubberized buttons)

once the unit is plugged in usb cable connected hit the source button when usb and cd led light is on both at the same time it connects as a HID controller instantly.

do i wish the jog wheel is bigger.... no its perfect for what this unit does for my use (small portable player to bring my gigs that already have a setup.... (or for reality sakes i walk up to a djbooth and see maybe a dual cd setup and a mixer.... equipment not maintained..... no fear i have a AMX and NDX on hand.

ill delve into the cd player and usb stick later on...

this unit is a definate go for me..... if i need a cd player when an artist give me their performance track on a cd or on a usb no problem....

when im done for the night pack it up in a lil back pack or gym bag an go home.
DJ Ed Wong 10:40 PM - 28 November, 2014
Its a real nice unit @raedonquan

My reasons for returning it had very little to do with dis-satisfaction with the NDX500 in and of itself.
It had more to do with if it ADDED enough over my existing DN-S1000 for what **I** needed it for...

BTW - the AFX as a "Needle drop to the middle of the track" capability... nice
djbigboy 5:40 PM - 10 December, 2014
Anyone else have experience with the NDX500 unit. I have a chance to buy 1 or 2 at a pretty good price...
deejdave 6:48 PM - 10 December, 2014
Heard from the two peeps I know who got one that they are solid units. Not quite Pio CDJ's but for the price........................ GREAT purchase IMO. Go for two I think............
raedonquan 8:28 PM - 10 December, 2014
I paid 200... Out the door.... Its a very good sdj controller.....the platter has some decent resistance... Pitch bend is good....

For my use one is good for now... As you can select decks on it..
DJ Ed Wong 8:53 PM - 10 December, 2014
The NDX500 is a great CD player

In my case, I already had a pair of DN-S1000
So the question for me became - is it great enough to make me want to REPLACE what I have - and in my case - NO|

The platter control was very very nice.
But I'm typically an A/B type DJ (yeah - boring - whatever)
musiclee 10:59 PM - 10 December, 2014
Long live the 19" rack gear!!! LOL
deejdave 12:10 AM - 11 December, 2014
Lived Long Ago.............. 19" Rack Gear!! haha. musiclee will be listed throughout history when people look up 19" in Wiki etc. in the future. Nuttin wrong with preferences. Just become few & far between these days which I am sure he can vouch for.
raedonquan 12:47 AM - 11 December, 2014
Only 19" worth using is a bozak, urei, dope real I so, rla iso, gsa iso, SBS iso.
deejdave 1:28 AM - 11 December, 2014
Will ALWAYS keep the Urei but the only rack it will be seeing is the rack it is sitting on in my closet where it sits in the box LOL.
J.A.Y 11:32 PM - 2 January, 2015
hi i did not no were else to post on here as iv just made an account so sorry if its no ok to post here.. but i really need help. iv just got a pair of numark ndx500 they are mapped to serato DJ. but serato DJ will not recognize them iv tryed every thing. iv tryed other DJ programs like virtual DJ and my ndx500 work with virtual DJ but need to be mapped and i cant do that find that to hard to do. i just don't no what to do because i bought the numark ndx500 because its a midi controller and is mapped to searto DJ but searto DJ wont connect to them.. iv got the free download version of serato DJ. do i need to buy the full version of serato DJ for my ndx500 to work ???? if someone could hep that wood be gd.. i will keep checking back here for a reply.. or you can email me at. jamie.mccoy2013@hotmail.co.uk
deejdave 2:15 AM - 3 January, 2015
You need a controller, mixer or interface. The Numark NDX500's are Serato Official Accessories (OA's) which offer native mappings which make them plug and play when combined with above mentioned Serato DJ interface.

So again in a nut shell you have yourself two fine accessories for Serato DJ (or VDJ etc.) but will NOT be able to use with Serato DJ (NOT even the 14 day free trial) without a supported controller serato.com or mixer / interface serato.com furthermore if you have any other questions or need any further assistance feel free to open a help request here support.serato.com
J.A.Y 11:35 PM - 3 January, 2015
hi deejdave thanks for your reply but im new to the DJin. so what your saying is i cant ues my ndx500s with serato DJ till i get a controller support by serato DJ.? if i bought a Akai AMX
Controller for Serato DJ with DVS Control wood that then let me ues my ndx500s with serato DJ as well as uesin that control.? and wood i still have to buy serato DJ or just ues the downloaded version of serato DJ?
DJ Ed Wong 11:41 PM - 3 January, 2015
if you buy the AMX (or other approved Serato DJ controller), when you plug in the controller via the USB, the controller "unlocks" the Serato DJ software.

You still have to download the software (which it appears you already have done)

In theory, you do not need the DVS to use the NDX500
HOWEVER
Unless you buy the DVS, you can not play an AUDIO CD in the NDX500, control the AUDIO CD via the NDX surface AND have the volume of the CD controlled via the AMX.
deejdave 11:51 PM - 3 January, 2015
Quote:
hi deejdave thanks for your reply but im new to the DJin. so what your saying is i cant ues my ndx500s with serato DJ till i get a controller support by serato DJ.? if i bought a Akai AMX
Controller for Serato DJ with DVS Control wood that then let me ues my ndx500s with serato DJ as well as uesin that control.? and wood i still have to buy serato DJ or just ues the downloaded version of serato DJ?

Your NDX-500's will not connect to the software until you have one of the devices I already linked. The AMX is clearly one of the devices on that list so obviously would work. You do NOT need the DVS to use the NDX-500's to control the software. You DO however need the DVS expansion with the Akai AMX (along with a few other devices) in order to use the THRU option which would in turn allow you to use the NDX-500's to play audio CD's or USB source music from the player through the software.

As far as the SDJ software itself the Akai AMX includes the activation for SDJ within the unit so there is further unlocking or purchase needed. This is only necessary when dealing with supported Seratro DJ Intro controllers........ serato.com
J.A.Y 11:58 PM - 3 January, 2015
hi dj ed wong. so if i just buy the Akai AMX
Controller for Serato DJ i will be good to go with uesin the ndx500 with serato DJ? and dont need to purchase any think else
DJ Ed Wong 12:02 AM - 4 January, 2015
YES

a) you can buy JUST the AMX and be able to use SeratoDJ (what I first did)
b) you can add on additional controllers (NDX500) and have "more control"
c) DVS is useful as it allows you to use a CD player to play an AUDIO CD (or a turntable) AND use the AMX as a "mixer" (tho, the AMX has to be connected to the computer running Serato, its not a stand alone mixer)

BTW - the NDX500 and AMX is a sweet combo!
raedonquan 12:02 AM - 4 January, 2015
i have the ndx 500 amx and afx w/dvs expansion.. work wonderfull... make sure you laptop is in spec i5 or i7 processor
J.A.Y 12:13 AM - 4 January, 2015
ok thanks for all your help im going to go for the amx for now and get the afx later because iv just spent out on a pair of ndx500s with the numark m101 mixer for £400 thinking i can just plug it all in and start uesin serato DJ but maybe not lol
raedonquan 12:16 AM - 4 January, 2015
500 & amx will do fine.... dont for get a powered usb hub.....remember no mic input
DJ Ed Wong 12:40 AM - 4 January, 2015
In theory - you only need ONE NDX500
The NDX will support up to 4 decks...

If I recall, it wasn't to bad to toggle between between decks on the NDX500

If you do NOT need a microphone, you will NOT need the Numark M101
(the AMX has no mic input)
J.A.Y 1:01 AM - 4 January, 2015
i wood rather have the 2 ndx500s tho mate. and ner dont need a mic. just want to do some mixing but with serato DJ so i can record my mixing and get the full ues out of the ndx500s cuz i got the ndx500s cuz there mapped to serato DJ but did not no that i needed a serato DJ controller to ues the ndx500 as im just starting out its just for at home ues for now. but thanks to every on i now no what i need to do lol.. i bin trying to get it to work with serato DJ for days and think y the F**k is it not connecting now i no y lol
DJ Ed Wong 1:07 AM - 4 January, 2015
two NDX500 platters make the workflow "easier" for sure

But it looks like, based on what you stated (no mic) that you can return/sell the M101

(why I love B&H - returns!)
J.A.Y 1:14 AM - 4 January, 2015
i dont think i can return the m101 because i bought it all as a package. because the ndx500s were £367 for a pair or £388 with the m101 so i went for the package. do you no if the amx has a master output so i can plug my amp in to get it through my speakers?
DJ Ed Wong 1:29 AM - 4 January, 2015
Quote:
do you no if the amx has a master output so i can plug my amp in to get it through my speakers?

YES

The AMX was designed so that you could DJ with the AMX (and a computer running SeratoDJ) and go straight to the amp or powered speakers.

The AMX is a "mixer" when its connected to a computer running SeratoDJ.

The only "quibble" is that the AMX does not have a MIC
(but many of us, who do events where we need a mic, have other sub mixers to manage the need for a mic or multiple mics)
J.A.Y 1:38 AM - 4 January, 2015
ok thanks for helping me out with what i need to no i appreciate it. do you no how much the DVS expansion is? or dose the AMX unlock it for free? like it dose with serato dj when you plug the AMX in it unlocks the full version
DJ Ed Wong 1:46 AM - 4 January, 2015
DVS expansion is $99

You go into the SeratoDJ software and purchase it
J.A.Y 1:56 AM - 4 January, 2015
wow did not think it wood be that much because the full version of serato dj is £85 but i suppose i get the full version for free when i purchase the AMX.. do i have to purchase DVS to be able to ues the AMX and ndx500s with serato dj.? sorry about all the questions just dont want to buy the AMX then not be able to ues it because i wont be able to afford to buy the DVS
deejdave 2:15 AM - 4 January, 2015
Quote:
In theory, you do not need the DVS to use the NDX500

Quote:
c) DVS is useful as it allows you to use a CD player to play an AUDIO CD (or a turntable) AND use the AMX as a "mixer" (tho, the AMX has to be connected to the computer running Serato, its not a stand alone mixer)

Quote:
so if i just buy the Akai AMX
Controller for Serato DJ i will be good to go with uesin the ndx500 with serato DJ? and dont need to purchase any think else

Quote:
YES

Quote:
You do NOT need the DVS to use the NDX-500's to control the software.

Quote:
do i have to purchase DVS to be able to ues the AMX and ndx500s with serato dj.?

I think it is about that time ................. serato.com
DJ Ed Wong 2:18 AM - 4 January, 2015
You can use the NDX500 and the AMX w/o purchasing the DVS

The NDX will control the DECKS that are in SeratoDJ

I'm not sure, but I believe that the AMX can only control TWO decks and NOT four decks

If you have TWO NDX500 units, you can set one to control deck 1 and the other to control deck 2

HOWEVER, you can NOT play an audio CD in the NDX500 and "mix" that CD via the AMX, unless you buy the DVS expansion
J.A.Y 2:37 AM - 4 January, 2015
ok thats agen dj ed wong.
J.A.Y 3:09 AM - 4 January, 2015
thanks i meant
Karloff 1:35 PM - 28 February, 2016
guys!
have you check the (lcd panel) track titles on ndx when using in hid mode?
just wandering. if you're loading a song in deck 1 (d1) you can see the same title song on deck 2 (d2). whether it is playing or not.
deck 1 only change song title while loading on deck 2 doesn't change the song title.
it is done when you power up the ndx before connecting the usb to pc..
but the way around. when i connect the usb to pc first then powering-up the ndx. it will just say "connect" on the lcd panel. but you cannot see the song title on both deck.
raedonquan 2:42 AM - 2 March, 2016
ive never seen track title on the ndx in serato mode
siroc5 10:39 PM - 2 March, 2016
May want to check with Numark for the latest update to the firmware for NDX500
deejdave 10:45 PM - 2 March, 2016
Quote:
May want to check with Numark for the latest update to the firmware for NDX500

Are you saying it does display track info? I was under the impression this was not an available feature of the NDX-500. Can't find any info on any updates on Numarks site regarding the player either.
raedonquan 11:49 PM - 2 March, 2016
i have the ndx and it doesnt display track info in serato mode.. in usb or cd mode yes...
deejdave 12:08 AM - 3 March, 2016
That's what I thought. The limited function of the NDX-500's are what's keeping me from picking up a pair so I was hoping this changed.
raedonquan 12:38 AM - 3 March, 2016
dave i got the ndx because it was cheap... and the small foot print.....i no longer need to bring my full size cdj when there is a performing artist that brings me a cd or usb stick..

the ndx and the amx is a killer setup i use one amx and instant double... infact im using it this weekend for a 18th birthday party... guest dj for an hour.. didnt want to bring the sb
deejdave 1:08 AM - 3 March, 2016
Oh no doubt. The effectiveness of having a unit with such capabilities is awesome. I am just saying that the non display is a deal killer for me. Would be like using a CDJ with timecode for me at this point. Just got used to it is all :)
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:31 PM - 3 March, 2016
Damn that is some doodoo considering both my Mixdeck & Mixdeck Quad show the titles & artists name.

Definite oversight by someone I'd say.....
raequan 4:17 PM - 3 March, 2016
Price point or numark may make a full size version with display...

Hmmm wait a minute.... its the numark dash board
Karloff 7:37 AM - 5 March, 2016
what can you say about this?

youtu.be
deejdave 5:31 PM - 5 March, 2016
Hmmm What's goin on there???? LOL
the smooth operator 5:26 PM - 9 May, 2016
So i just purchased the NDX500. I am using it as a third deck on my Rane 64. The update says the track name but when i cycle the decks to have the NDX control deck 4 it only says the Song title and info of deck 1. any solution?
DJ Lalit 4:24 PM - 17 June, 2016
I'm thinking of either purchasing the NDX 500s or MixDeck Quad. I already have a SL3. I love the option of HID functionality. I had the Pioneer CDJ 400s and love the tactile feel in HID mode with SSL. I also own the Denon HC1000s and I understand this controller has full support in SDJ.

SoundInsurgent, how has the MixDeck Quad been so far? Have you had any problems with it? Only thing that I don't like about the MixDeck Quad is there are no individual meters for each channel, only master. So if you are listening to one track in your headphones, you dont know if you need to turn the gain up to match the same volume level as the one to mix into.

Ed Wong, I was also considering picking up a second hand used set of Denon S1000s. I would utilize SSL timecode cds. How is the functionality with SSL timecode cds with the S1000s? I've read that there is a cue problem, not sure if that has been resolved.
DJ Ed Wong 5:25 PM - 17 June, 2016
Quote:

Ed Wong, I was also considering picking up a second hand used set of Denon S1000s. I would utilize SSL timecode cds. How is the functionality with SSL timecode cds with the S1000s? I've read that there is a cue problem, not sure if that has been resolved.

I only played around with it a little bit.
All I wanted to find out was if the TimeCode on a CD in a DN-S1000 operated similarly to the NDX-500.

I did not notice a cue problem; but I dont do much "mixing" or turntable-ism

I was able to cue tracks similarly between the DN-S1000/timecode and the NDX-500

NOW - the key thing is that the DN-S1000 does NOT "operate" like an NDX-500
The NDX has a jog wheel that "floats
- spin it and move the "needle"
This is very very similar to most controllers I have played with
The DN-S1000 has a platter "above" a button
- you have to PRESS DOWN on the "CD" looking disc and then SPIN with the FINGER down

About the ONLY thing this feels like is that Michael Keaton Batman movie where he scratches a CD (this was long before such things existed!)

So the Denon "action" is very unlike a Jog Wheel
and very unlike a Technics 1200 with vinyl

In that sense - you ought to try a DN-S1000 before you buy one or two
You may find you HATE how the "wheel" operates
DJ Lalit 6:23 PM - 17 June, 2016
Actually I use to own (2) Denon S1000s with a Denon X120 mixer. This was my setup when I first began. It was a great setup but I barely used it and at that time I did not have SSL. You can pick up a pair of used Denon S1000s for fairly cheap nowadays. I understand what you mean by pressing down on the disc of the Denon S1000 compared to the likes of a Pioneer CDJ 400. How long have you had your S1000s? I figure with my Denon HC1000s, I could utilize all the functionality of SSL or SDJ using that controller rather than the laptop. On the other hand, if I utilize HID with the NDX 500s it frees up the CD slots should I ever need to use them as backup. With timecode cds, I would have to eject the CD each time when I need to play a audio CD and there is a 15 minute limit on each timecode CD.

Ed, how is the pitch using timecode CD with the S1000s? I liked the fact in HID with the Pioneer CDJs that you could see the title and track names and everything was one to one synchronized between the CDJs and SSL. I'm guessing the same would be said for the NDX500 except for the track/title name discussed earlier in this post and the fact that the track name duplicates for each player when loaded.
DJ Ed Wong 7:12 PM - 17 June, 2016
Quote:

Ed, how is the pitch using timecode CD with the S1000s? I liked the fact in HID with the Pioneer CDJs that you could see the title and track names and everything was one to one synchronized between the CDJs and SSL. I'm guessing the same would be said for the NDX500 except for the track/title name discussed earlier in this post and the fact that the track name duplicates for each player when loaded.

Off the cuff, I've owned the DN-S1000 from around the time they were released - 2006?

The pitch worked fine with the TimeCode and the DN-S1000
It works no different, that I could discern, than using the pitch on the NDX-500

On a side bar, I found that the "tiny" disc on the DN-HD2500 to be really hard to use in practice

From a "workflow" perspective - I reset the Timecode CD to the beginning of the track every time I cue'd the next song up. Thus the 15min time to me was moot, as I operated as If I had slotted an audio CD in.

BTW - I use an AKAI-AMX with Serato DJ
So this means that I really DONT use the DN-S1000 in my typical DJ work.

I do mostly broadcast radio, so I'm doing cue/play/fade out other
The Optimod handles the level "mis matches" on the broadcast side.
Even the mobile gigs I do, I'm not doing much "blending/mixing"
Thus I dont need to use the pitch capabilities much.
Therefore I usually have the DN-S1000 for CD playing.

And yeah - the "thru" capability is there on the AMX, but its really easy to "forget",
Thats why I prefer to use a larger board (4 channels) and keep the CDs as physical faders.
Of course - for small parties and such - the AMX small foot print and THRU capability saves me load in/out
DJ Lalit 6:20 PM - 20 June, 2016
Thanks. I'm getting a good deal of a pair of Denon S1000 with Denon X100 plus case. I have the Denon HC1000s controller for SSL so I would use that to control aspects of SSL. My concern was how the pitch reacts to the software as well as the other capabilities. I understand the effects will not work but I really don't care for them. Did you use SSL in ABS or REL mode? When you moved the pitch slider on the S1000, did it move it SSL?
WarpNote 5:42 AM - 21 June, 2016
The pitch will work just fine, it is "slower" in DVS mode compared to HID, as the track needs to be playing, and the software needs a small amount of time to catch up the tempo display when reading the control signal. However, the jogs on the S1000 are not much fun Imo, and the mixer is very limiting. Id strongly consider another setup tbh, but each to his own.

Quote:
Did you use SSL in ABS or REL mode?
Always REL, in ABS you will not be able to loop, roll or use cues in software.
DJ Lalit 12:46 PM - 21 June, 2016
In that case would it be correct to say the pitch in most if not all CDJs will be "slower" in DVS mode compared to HID. I used my Pioneer CDJ 400s in HID mode and everything was on point. Sometimes I look back and think I should have not sold them since the hardware/software integration was flawless.

The other setup I was thinking is going for a pair of Numark NDX 500s with a Reloop rmx 33i or Allen and Health Xone 23 mixer. I know the NDX 500s are HID with SDJ but wonder if I ever wanted to use SSL with the NDX 500s will the pitch be "slower."
WarpNote 10:32 PM - 22 June, 2016
Yep, the HID pitch will always be more "precise" and "quicker" than the DVS pitch. True for both programs, Im sure its exactly the same in rekordbox and traktor too.

Remind me again, why did you sell your setup?
DJ Lalit 1:16 AM - 23 June, 2016
I sold my setup because I barely utilized the CDJ 400s. I didn't like the messy wires even after trying my best to make my setup look clean. I have a rack with a Denon X500 mixer and HC5000 and I run Serato Itch. The rack also contains a power conditioner. I use this rack for most if not all my events and decided to sell the CDJ 400s. As I'm getting older I wanted a lighter setup and thought maybe getting CDJs in a coffin may be a better route.
DJ Lalit 1:54 AM - 1 July, 2016
I might be able to purchase a used pair of Pioneer CDJ 1000 mk3s. How good are they in DVS mode with either SSL or SDJ? Any problems with pitch "slowness" with the 1000 mk3s.
raedonquan 2:44 AM - 1 July, 2016
those cdj 1000's were the hot shiz with time code ... you should be fine
DJ Lalit 4:03 AM - 1 July, 2016
Is it recommended to calibrate the timecode CD each time? I've seen where some don't calibrate and all is well. I have the Denon HC1000s which I would use for all the controls in SSL or SDJ so I guess it doesn't matter whether I use ABS or REL mode. I'm guessing I would use ABS mode because I can use the cue point and cue on the CDJ 1000.

One of the main reasons why I liked using the Pioneer CDJ 400 natively with SSL anything that I do on the CDJ is mimicked in SSL (aside from effects). I typically would use the stack view in SSL which would give me a exact decimal places in bpm compared to the vertical view in the circle which does not show decimal places, rather whole bpm numbers. If I use the timecode cd would SSL or SDJ be able to show the exact decimal place in bpm under stack view?
deejdave 2:22 AM - 2 July, 2016
Quote:
One of the main reasons why I liked using the Pioneer CDJ 400 natively with SSL anything that I do on the CDJ is mimicked in SSL (aside from effects).

1000% agreed and exactly why I would recommend to NOT get CDJ-1000's. TRUST you will feel like you took ten steps backwards. Will it work? Sure. Who wants something to JUST work though. IMO if you are going to do something do it.................. even the NDX's would be better IMO.
DJ Lalit 3:48 AM - 3 July, 2016
I've seen a few videos on YouTube that show all the functions work in ABS mode. I have a Denon HC1000s that would control most of SSL and SDJ.
WarpNote 6:02 PM - 3 July, 2016
Quote:
Is it recommended to calibrate the timecode CD each time?

No, only for vinyl.
And not you dont wanna run ABS mode: no autoloops or rolls.
Again, I think something like a DDJ-SX or similiar is what you need.
DJ Lalit 6:09 PM - 3 July, 2016
I understand but I would be using a Denon HC1000s in conjunction so all my loops and auto rolls would be performed using the HC1000s. Unless you are stating that I cannot use ABS mode with Denon HC1000s.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:56 PM - 4 July, 2016
You can only use loops from the cdjs themselves when in absolute mode and forget about cue points or rolls when using absolute mode.
DJ Lalit 12:28 PM - 5 July, 2016
Gotcha. Seems like I'm going to go the NDX 500 route paired with a Reloop rmx 33i mixer. Would you recommend separate cases or a coffin?
WarpNote 10:37 PM - 6 July, 2016
What insurgent said, no software loops og cues in abs, no matter what hardware. Personally, I hate lugging coffins.
DJ Lalit 7:42 PM - 18 July, 2016
Thanks. Seems like I'm still trying to weigh my options and I appreciate all of your input and help. Being primarily a mobile DJ, the Denon mc6000 mk2 sparked my interest. With the DVS expansion these would be great with the NDX 500s as they are natively mapped for SDJ. Would anyone know if I purchase the DVS expansion pack with the MC6000 mk2, would I still need my SL3 box to utilize the NDX 500s natively? Basically what I'm asking is could I purchase the DVS expansion pack and not have to use the SL3 box and have the ability to use my NDX 500s in HID mode with SDJ? That way I can rely on the MC6000 mk2 mixer since the mixer is standalone.
i am Dj fLiP 7:45 PM - 18 July, 2016
yeah you should be good as long as the mixer is supported (ie; akai amx).
DJ Lalit 7:47 PM - 18 July, 2016
So Flip are you saying I would no longer need my SL3 box if I purchase the DVS expansion pack? That way I don't have to worry about any timecode and can use the NDX500s to control all functions in SDJ.
i am Dj fLiP 7:51 PM - 18 July, 2016
correct. as long as your mixer supports serato dvs expansion.

so for example, at clubs, i use the 900nxs mixer as dvs, and put the cdj's on hid mode if i'm not using my tables or my V7.
DJ Lalit 8:16 PM - 18 July, 2016
I understand. On Serato's website the Denon MC6000 mk2 is Serato DVS Upgrade ready (Add turntables or CDJs to Serato DVS Upgrade Ready hardware with the purchase of a Serato DVS license). Is there some sort of list so I know for exact?
i am Dj fLiP 10:15 PM - 18 July, 2016
This website is your main resource.
If a device supports Serato DVS, then all you need is the DVS expansion unlocked to utilize it.
deejdave 10:22 PM - 18 July, 2016
There is "Serato DVS upgrade ready" which require the expansion as i am Dj fLiP suggests but there are devices that are "Serato DVS enabled" which are Plug-and-Play Serato DJ supported hardware that does not require a Serato DVS Expansion Pack.

They are ALL marked accordingly on this list serato.com