DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

I'm Not Ready To DJ, But Should I?

twinsouls 1:07 AM - 3 May, 2006
Heres the deal: DJ'd back in the days, stoped to persue other things (in music). Now years(5)later thanks to SSL I'm coming back into the game. This time I'm going mobile as in the past I just took records to the spot to spin. Now it's all on me to set up equipment. I wasn't planning to be ready until this summer (June)mainly cause I havn't got my laptop yet(been using Desktop to practice).I want to pay cash not finance plus debating between old powerbook and new macbook pro. People know I'm a DJ so I always get asked for gigs.I got 4 gigs set for june so far(Grad party's).

I just got an offer to do a Hip Hop Party/MC Battles on memorial weekend this month(or is it Labor Day? I get confused with these two Holidays). Anyway,The last DJ allready flaked it and he was in it for $150. My problem is I was hoping to start with some house party's cause I'm not sure if my stuff would be good enough for this indoor spot. Also I might not have my laptop in time so I was wondering if I should just take my desktop. Ill just take the tower but I could probably get a flat Panel from a friend cause I have a big ass 19" CRT monitor. I am tierd of waiting but what do you guys think I should do? And I know $150 aint much to some of you guys but you gotta start somewhere. I was thinking people would start to hit me up for other gigs too.

Heres some info:
The spot is small, about the size of an empty Denny's Restuarant.
Technics---->Check
Mixer------>Check
Light's-----Check
Two EV SxA250 Speakers(better than Mackie SRM 450's)
www.musiciansbuy.com
---------
www.electrovoice.com
Is this good eough for this spot? I want subs but can't right now

Also, should I take my PC Desktop? Help Please. Thanks Guys
dopemc 2:53 AM - 3 May, 2006
Quote:

Also, should I take my PC Desktop? Help Please. Thanks Guys

HAHAHAHHAHA
Julls 2:57 AM - 3 May, 2006
Yo twinsouls check it: scratchlive.net I've used my desktop for a few gigs with no complaints from anyone. Who honestly cares if its a house party. As long as your rockin' it you should be fine. I'll show y'all more pics when my cases get in this week.
DJMuErTe 4:08 AM - 3 May, 2006
I say go for it! dont worry about what ppl might think :)
once they listen to the music they will forget about the desktop believe me! hehehe.... lets us know how it goes!
ejayian 5:27 AM - 3 May, 2006
desktop is much lighter than hauling a bunch of vinyl so go for it......make sure you have back up be it some vinyl or an mp3 player
punosion 5:49 AM - 3 May, 2006
Do it!!

BTW, Memorial Day = end of May, Labor Day = beginning of September. Think if you got the summer off school, like you were young...Memorial Day = end of school, beginning of summer; Labor Day = back to work, end of summer.
MusicMeister 8:33 AM - 3 May, 2006
I understand your not wanting to finance, but being able to spread the payments out over a couple months - even when you have it readily avaiable is handy.

If you really want to make the move to a laptop consider checking with:

www.zzounds.com

They offer a 3 months ( if under $1000) or 5 months (if over $1000) payment plan that's not really 'credit' per se. They just charge your card 3 or 5 even payments once a month. You'll pay shipping along with the first payment when it ships. Even though I had the money sitting to purchase my mixer I bought through them to help maintain better cash flow for my business(instead of dropping over $800 all at once on a mixer I spread it out over a couple months). I've bought a number of things from them with no problems thus far. You can get some things a little cheaper elsewhere, but I don't know of anyone else offering the same payment plan. And when the other sites are cheaper it's usually not by much.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 12:02 PM - 3 May, 2006
Quote:
Yo twinsouls check it: scratchlive.net I've used my desktop for a few gigs with no complaints from anyone. Who honestly cares if its a house party. As long as your rockin' it you should be fine. I'll show y'all more pics when my cases get in this week.

yah Twinsouls. like Julls says, when i rocked my tower, no one complained. heck, i even dragged around a hella heavy and large 19" Sony CRT!... till i caved-in and bought my Dell on-line-on-credit (still paying fer it though :)

as for subs, at the moment u can consider renting or borrowing at least a single powered 18", 15", or 12". if not, those EV's might be just right (for $150).
twinsouls 9:07 PM - 3 May, 2006
Quote:
desktop is much lighter than hauling a bunch of vinyl so go for it......
Thats True

Quote:
make sure you have back up be it some vinyl or an mp3 player
Check and check

Quote:
as for subs, at the moment u can consider renting or borrowing at least a single powered 18", 15", or 12". if not, those EV's might be just right (for $150).
Now considering renting subs,Didnt think of this

Quote:
BTW, Memorial Day = end of May, Labor Day = beginning of September. Think if you got the summer off school, like you were young...Memorial Day = end of school, beginning of summer; Labor Day = back to work, end of summer.
This is my new reminder.

Well today I have to give the word to my boy about this. I'm gonna tell him "Its good to go". Thanks everyone.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 9:17 PM - 3 May, 2006
tear sh!t up twinsouls!
DJBlisk 9:18 PM - 3 May, 2006
at least you know how to dj. there are some motherf'ers spinning at clubs that don't deserve to pick up a piece of vinyl.
Thundercat 9:19 PM - 3 May, 2006
Quote:
i caved-in and bought my Dell on-line-on-credit (still paying fer it though

Same here
anewsome 9:28 PM - 3 May, 2006
you man,... do that ish! as far as an old powerbook or a new macbook pro,. i'd say spend the money on an old powerbook. my opinion at least. those 2 EVs should be plenty of sound with no subs. and as far about "are you ready or not",.. it's a lot more about reading the crowd and putting on the right song at the right time, more than it is about equipment or skills.