Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

crates / columns disappearing in 1.7

TheSilverStreak 12:21 AM - 9 September, 2014
Last night I copied some crates (from my Windows 7 machine) onto a usb drive so I could use them on my other (Mac) workstation. No issues. I was very careful to "copy" and not "move" the files.

Tonight, I opened Serato DJ on my Windows 7 machine only to find that all of the crates I copied are now empty. (That was not the case last night.) Also, all the remaining crates (that I did not copy) are now only populated with two columns: "#" and "song." (I had been using about 10 columns.)

If I try to create a new crate, it has a generic six field columns. Every new crate I subsequently create has the same generic six columns - not the way I had set them up. This is not how Serato DJ behaved in the past. It used to be that each subsequently created crate was laid-out just the way I set up the previous one.

I've been using SDJ since pretty much the beginning and have never had these issues before. I uninstalled and reinstalled SDJ and there is no improvement. I have no idea what is going on here, but I can say quite certainly that I'm not very happy with this. (The actual music files are thankfully intact.)

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. TIA.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 3:46 AM - 12 September, 2014
Hey TheSilverStreak

Have you got 'Custom Crate Columns' switched on in Setup > Library + Display? If this doesn't help, open a help request at support.serato.com and one of the team will troubleshoot with you to try and figure out what's happening.

Cheers
Aaron
TheSilverStreak 12:04 PM - 12 September, 2014
Thanks Aaron. I opened a help request four days ago. So far, no response.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 10:49 AM - 13 September, 2014
Yeah, sorry man, the team is really busy right now after the release last week.

Have you got custom crate columns on in the setup screen? This would explain the generic six field columns in all your new crates.

Aaron
TheSilverStreak 12:26 PM - 13 September, 2014
The custom crate columns turned out to be the column culprit, although I did not knowingly change the setting. (Is there a keyboard shortcut that I may have accidentally hit?) Still don't know why my crates disappeared...
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:17 AM - 15 September, 2014
Good to hear the column thing is sorted man. There's no shortcut for that option so I'm not sure what happened there. Occasionally, the files that control your options can get corrupted in some way, but it's very rare. Definitely let me know if it happens again.

With the crates disappearing, are you saying that they copied over fine, but then weren't there when you opened back up later? If so, this would suggest a saving error on closing Serato DJ.

There may have been a permissions or fragmentation issue so it's probably a good idea to go to;

Control Panel/All Control Panel Items/Administrative Tools/Defragment and Optimize Drives

... and run a disk scan to see if there are any issues with your drives.

Once again, definitely let me know if you have a consistent saving issue with Serato DJ. Hopefully it was just a one-off, possibly related to the mounting/unmounting of the USB drive.

Cheers
Aaron