Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Please point me to MIDI mapping for Loop Roll Defined Lengths

inverse 5:20 PM - 3 September, 2014
In SSL, you used to be able to map loop rolls of specific lengths to MIDI buttons. Can this be done in Serato DJ 1.7? I know you can map loop roll size to a knob. Last I heard, my request wasn't supported.

Any word on this? I tried pressing "MIDI", clicking the desired "Auto Loop Desired Length" button, pressing CTRL+ALT, and clicking the MIDI hardware button I want to map. No dice.

Thanks all.
yeahdef 5:26 PM - 3 September, 2014
It's simple. In midi mode, click the loop length you want and then press the button to want for that length.
inverse 5:37 PM - 3 September, 2014
Thanks. I did that, but it sets a loop, not a loop roll.
inverse 5:45 PM - 3 September, 2014
This is the manual's reference to the functions I am referencing.
-----------
Loop roll performs a standard Auto Loop, but when the loop is turned off the playback position is returned to the position where it would be if it had not entered the loop (much like censor).
The Loop Roll Lengths are determined by the range selected in the Auto Loop Tab. The range of values available for loop roll are 1/32 through to 32 bars.
Use short loop lengths to create “stutter” type effects. The other difference between loop roll and standard Auto Loop is the “roll” button is momentary (ie. The loop is engaged when the button is pressed down, and disengaged when the button is released.)
To activate loop roll use the keyboard shortcuts.
• control + alt + 1 through 5 for the left deck (or the active left deck when using 4 decks).
• control + alt + 6 through to 0 for the right deck (or the active left deck when using 4 decks). (i.e the same as the Auto Loop controls with the additional ‘control’ key as a modifier).
Konix 8:50 PM - 3 September, 2014
Unfortunately you cannot MIDI map individual loop roll lengths like you could in Scratch Live.
Mr. Goodkat 9:23 PM - 3 September, 2014
Quote:
Unfortunately you cannot MIDI map individual loop roll lengths like you could in Scratch Live.

konix, you actually seem to get everything. what is really going on with this mapping situation in comparison to ssl? im confused, since i did a mapping a couple years ago for the X1 and it worked fine. now im confused, maybe im not putting the right control or midi channel. i can't even get INT mode button to map.
inverse 9:36 PM - 3 September, 2014
Thx Konix. Nice to see your name around. It's been a minute since I've been here.
inverse 9:41 PM - 3 September, 2014
Hardware buttons only for loop roll for me then. Thankfully the NS7ii supports loop roll via pads.

I imagine we will continue to see certain navigational buttons like the Track Control buttons remain unmappable, except for newer native hardware. We saw this with the 57SL hardware panes. It is a shame to not be able to map to toggle between viewing cue points and flips.

But I'm happy to have what we've got. I'm happy to not have to piece meal the SSL/MIDI world as much as we used to.
Marv Incredible 1:15 AM - 4 September, 2014
Here's a far-from-ideal workaround. Since loop roll is essentially auto loop + slip mode, if you turn slip mode on before pressing loop, when you let go again the track will continue playing where it would have been had you not pressed anything--or, exactly as if you'd pressed loop roll.

The only snag (and it's a big one) is that with loop roll, as soon as you release the pad/button, the loop disengages and playback resumes (as said in the manual quote above). But when using autoloop+slip mode, you have to toggle the pad/button to release the loop. This is easy enough to do for simple loop rolls but anything more intricate and it starts getting tricky to pull off.

Crude and nasty but it would allow someone to get some kind of loop roll mapped to pads if they didn't have native support.

Quote:
I imagine we will continue to see certain navigational buttons like the Track Control buttons remain unmappable, except for newer native hardware. We saw this with the 57SL hardware panes. It is a shame to not be able to map to toggle between viewing cue points and flips.

I hear that. :(
hobbbz 6:46 PM - 4 September, 2014
Here's my fix, set button for loop roll and buttons for 1/2 : 2x you can turn Roll on/off and then adjust the size as needed.
Maven Lore 7:25 PM - 6 April, 2015
Guys, I figured it out! While trying for 6 hours to manually code the midi script, I stumbled on an old video for scratch live telling us that control+ alt clicking the preset loop length values and then assigning a midi pad to it works. However, that didn't work. I altered it slightly:

1. In Midi Mode, ALT+CLICK the Loop Length desired
2. Box will appear light grey telling you that you have alt clicked
3. At that point press the desired pad you wish to assign the loop roll to
4. Do this on all desired pads with various loop lengths, they will all translate into loop roll lengths, hence: Loop roll pads!

I just loaded up my Numark Orbit with usable loop rolls and they work perfectly. I hope this helps everyone!
Mr. Goodkat 11:43 PM - 6 April, 2015
1.72 kinda fixed it and 1.74 beta has pretty much completely fixed any midi mapping problems.

only thing i miss is that the reverse track doesnt backspin it just loads the last track if midi mapped.
lindsaymar 9:25 PM - 1 November, 2018
Maven Lore, nailed it. Thanks!
Is there a video by Serato explaining this? It seems very odd that there isn't.

Quote:
1. In Midi Mode, ALT+CLICK the Loop Length desired
2. Box will appear light grey telling you that you have alt clicked
3. At that point press the desired pad you wish to assign the loop roll to
4. Do this on all desired pads with various loop lengths, they will all translate into loop roll lengths, hence: Loop roll pads!