DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

MusicV2 is DEAD...

DJ DennisJ 4:12 PM - 29 March, 2009
For all those that use(d) www.musicv2.com, the site has gone offline as of 3/29/2009.

Does anyone know of a similar portal that allows you to have a profile, and upload long mixes for others to play/stream as well as download? Most won't let you upload anything past a couple megs!
Dj Shamann 4:34 PM - 29 March, 2009
Can't say that i'm not surprised, I'm pretty sure you all got the same email about dude's wif and divorce and the whole 9.
Dj Shamann 4:36 PM - 29 March, 2009
LOL..can't sat that I AM surprised

(just woke up, booze rot brain)
DJ DennisJ 4:39 PM - 29 March, 2009
Yeah, but that was a seriously useful service when you wanted to promote a mix or have an easy way for someone to check out your style, etc. It was the only one I know of that didn't require the listener to register in order to stream or download mixes, and let you upload mixes up to 200mb. I've looked around but can't find anything even close to it.
sixxx 5:33 PM - 29 March, 2009
Well, that sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

:(

I loved this site to be able to stream my music over myspace. Oh well, time to move on.
sixxx 5:34 PM - 29 March, 2009
OH yeah, it's still streaming my music so for now I won't modify my page I guess. lol
mutley 5:40 PM - 29 March, 2009
CRAP I DINT RECEIVE AN EMAIL.....

www.xstreamist.com

i need n accout too now
Liquidice 9:51 PM - 29 March, 2009
waxdj.com
DJ Prinvale` 9:54 PM - 29 March, 2009
never used it, anything remotely innovated in the music industry fails.

horray for draconian bigwigs and business models (/sarcasm)
Swizzle 11:30 PM - 29 March, 2009
Damn. I caught on to this site from sixxx a few years ago. Back to podOmatic.com :(
sacrilicious 12:00 AM - 30 March, 2009
soundcloud.com
pt spinna 2:45 AM - 30 March, 2009
Damnit!
DJ DennisJ 11:08 AM - 30 March, 2009
From the owner:

As most of you know, the site is no longer online. This situation happened as abruptly for me as it has for you and it has resulted in a lot of confusion and concern.

Obviously the first concern for most of you is having access to your music and getting as much of it off the servers as possible. At first that didn't look like it would be an option, but I have been able to work out a deal with our datacenter to allow access to most of the servers for the next 2 days.

There is still one server that is offline, but most of you should be able to get most of your files off at this time. I am also working with them to get that one server back online for 2 days as well so that everyone has a chance to get their files if possible.

Seeing this I have turned the artist pages back on and will leave them on until the servers are taken offline permanently. If you have files you want to get, now is the time.

This is not how I would have wanted things to go, but at this point, getting you guys access for the next few days is the best I can do.

Take care,

Chris
DJ CISC0 3:19 PM - 30 March, 2009
No wonder they were pushing that $15/Lifetime membership sale. HA-HA- My "Lifetime" membership lasted like 2 months. Oh well.
MK 1 3:40 PM - 30 March, 2009
I registered lifetime on the 17th :(

Wondering whether i should claim on a refund..

Yes, i dj so bad :)
djsample 4:18 PM - 30 March, 2009
so anyone know of a good site... I used demostreams.com for the longest while I was in the Chi but that fell and then I used esnips.com for awhile then they got rid of auto play on their streaming players and you had to be a member to download peoples mixes....
AMF 4:29 PM - 30 March, 2009
Where does everyone upload their podcasts to? Sorry I don't know much about them (I'm slow). But I guess it's time for me to learn.
DJ CISC0 5:10 PM - 30 March, 2009
Quote:
I registered lifetime on the 17th :(

Wondering whether i should claim on a refund..

Yes, i dj so bad :)

I think they are refunding everyone who joined within that last 3 weeks. You should be go though.
djsample 6:01 PM - 30 March, 2009
soundcloud looks to be pretty solid
Boba Tha Hut 6:10 PM - 30 March, 2009
Was there any legal issue that caused the downfall of this site or was is just not making enough money?
AMF 6:17 PM - 30 March, 2009
Yeah, the legal issue was a DIVORCE. I think it took it's toll on him, plus not enough money coming in to keep the site up and running (no sponsors for advertising). He sent a long email out sometime around the beginning of the year saying what was going on in his life. I kinda felt sorry for the dude. But he vowed to press on...
eder 7:56 PM - 30 March, 2009
soundcloud is solid. nice integration to facebook and myspace too.
djbigboy 8:12 PM - 30 March, 2009
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have been on musicv2 for like 3-4 years and now I am like what?!?!?
DJ DennisJ 3:30 AM - 31 March, 2009
Please guys (and gals), return to this thread once you've tried other sites, and let's see if we can find one with the features (and price) we need!

Here's my wants in order of preference:

1) Free or very inexpensive
2) Allows others to download without signing up for an account
3) Allows long mixes
4) Allows several gigs of mix storage
5) Allows streaming, or previewing a mix before downloading
6) Allows high quality mp3s

MusicV2 did all of these, there's got to be something else that comes close!
Swizzle 3:41 AM - 31 March, 2009
^^ I was messing with www.podomatic.com along with musicv2.
it comes close even with a free basic membership. Then there's the "PRO" membership that will include all of your preferences and more.
DJ DennisJ 3:47 AM - 31 March, 2009
Quote:
^^ I was messing with www.podomatic.com along with musicv2.
it comes close even with a free basic membership. Then there's the "PRO" membership that will include all of your preferences and more.

Going there now. Thanks!
Audio1 3:55 AM - 31 March, 2009
Soundcloud is a good option and they allow both tracks and full DJ sets.... They got neat waveforms so people can leave comments on parts of mixes and tracks for feedback + nice integration to facebook. The Pro account is cool.

If your looking for streaming options with fiture downloads, One of the homies from SSL Forum has this website which is still in BETA mode. DJ Sketchy from the UK...

www.mixcloud.com

Use invite code:
beta1

You have to register tho... Test it out. Kinda neat. Read more about them at blog.mixcloud.com
DJ DennisJ 5:46 AM - 31 March, 2009
From my tests, both podomatic and mixcloud require accounts before you can listen or download a mix. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Swizzle 7:03 AM - 31 March, 2009
Quote:
From my tests, both podomatic and mixcloud require accounts before you can listen or download a mix. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope. Click on this person's mix/podcast fmonday.podomatic.com

Next Click on Download Link to dl Episode 48 to your computer

or

Click on to Play Episode 48 to listen to it.

Try it. I just did.
DJ DennisJ 8:01 AM - 31 March, 2009
Thanks for the clarification. So it seems you have to post an 'episode' to give others the ability to download and listen to your mix. Not bad, but the 100mb max file size, 500mb total mixes and 15gb bandwidth download limit are deterring me still.

I'm testing soundcloud now. From what I see so far, it's got everything I need and is very easy to use! It's limited to 5 uploads per month, but that's enough for me. And it doesn't seem to care what the size of the tracks are, but I'm sure there's got to be a limit. Can't find the FAQ though!
blackavenger 4:27 PM - 3 April, 2009
Damn, I just checked my mailbox today and got the bad news. I was wondering why my mix wasn't working on Myspace. At least I got 2 years out of my "lifetime" membership. Still though, there was a plethora of dope talent on there.....it's a shame to see it go.
DJ DennisJ 6:16 PM - 3 April, 2009
Yeah, I enjoyed searching around and finding other DJ's mixes that were good to listen to. Found some cool 70's mixes. Those are rare on mix hosting sites.
WuaKeeN 6:29 PM - 3 April, 2009
70's mixes here... =>www.xstreamist.com
djtripp 7:18 PM - 3 April, 2009
It's called web hosting.

Try www.Hostmonster.com. Unlimited bandwidth and storage. $120 for 2 years. Very reliable.
DJ DennisJ 8:39 PM - 3 April, 2009
Quote:
It's called web hosting.

Try www.Hostmonster.com. Unlimited bandwidth and storage. $120 for 2 years. Very reliable.

Did you really just off a hosting facility as a substitute? Do you even know what we're discussing? Tell me this, let's just pick one feature: Tell me how hostmonster is going to help me find other DJs mixes that are of a certain genre, and show me tracklistings, allow me rate them, and submit them for real-time updated top 10 list by genre.
House-Mixes.com 10:10 PM - 9 April, 2009
Hi everyone,

I'm the owner of www.House-Mixes.com (it's not just house music!).

I started the website 12 months ago, and everything I done on the site was based around MusicV2.com (because it was such a good site).

I have solid financial backing and ample server capacity so my website isn't dying any time soon, that a promise!

It's completely free, no limitations what so ever, meaning you can upload / stream / download as much as you can handle!

I try to keep everything on a personal level, if you think you have a good idea for the site then let me know and I normally have it up and completed within a week.

Come over and have a look, most of the other MusicV2.com members are already there and praising the life out of it.

Cheers all.

Paul Hinett
www.House-Mixes.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:16 PM - 9 April, 2009
ummm ibtl
DJ DennisJ 11:43 PM - 9 April, 2009
Quote:
ummm ibtl

Normally I frown on advertising, but in his defense, his site is 100% free...

Dude, where were you several weeks ago?! LOL. I've already signed up and started uploading my mixes. Sheesh, what did you do? Hack his website and steal the code? Your site is almost a mirror image!

@Paul: How about a genre that captures mixes such as those by DJ AM or DJ Vice? I'm not sure what genre that would be, but I don't think any of your current genres listed cover it.
DJ DennisJ 12:46 AM - 10 April, 2009
My review:

house-mixes.com is pretty non-intuitive, much like the original musicv2, I guess.

After a bunch of stumbling around I did finally figure out how to make it work for my needs but I have some comments about the player. Well, basically my comment is "WTF?!" because it's horrible. I think it is trying to open in a small window, but in both Firefox and IE8 it opened full screen and looked like a**. Once I got it to open in a smaller window, but I'm not even sure how I did it. If someone knows the secret, please tell me because the maximixed player is just awful looking!

For those that want to see a demo without going through everything I did, here's a mix I've posted using the site:

filesa-10tb.house-mixes.com

Feedback is always welcome
Swizzle 1:14 AM - 10 April, 2009
This site is pretty mirror image of musicv2 and i never really have a reason to complain about 'free'. I'll check it out....who knows if it'll be $39.95 next month, like many sites that start off $Free99.

Nice mix DennisJ....my kinda music!
Malcolm Masters 5:49 AM - 12 April, 2009
www.urban-mixes.com. It's free and it allows you to create a profile for yourself. It interfaces with all the networking sites. They are also starting to carry live internet radio shows. I have 2 mixes up on the site now. www.urban-mixes.com
DJ DennisJ 3:56 PM - 12 April, 2009
Quote:
www.urban-mixes.com. It's free and it allows you to create a profile for yourself. It interfaces with all the networking sites. They are also starting to carry live internet radio shows. I have 2 mixes up on the site now. www.urban-mixes.com

ummm wtf? This is a mirror image of house-mixes.com, right down to the funky mix player! Won't accept my house-mixes.com login though.
DJ DennisJ 4:06 PM - 12 April, 2009
Hah it is the same site, I had my passwd wrong. Interesting how he segregated it.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:48 PM - 13 April, 2009
So DennisJ, you can use the same password and log in for both www.urban-mixes.com and www.house-mixes.com

Sounds like what I need checking it out now....
House-Mixes.com 2:56 PM - 8 June, 2009
Hi all again.

I wasn't aware of an issue in firefox when opening the player window i will go check that out, first time i've heard a complaint...are you sure it wasn't a setting you had set on firefox??

I'm open to suggestions on genres, if you would like a new one just send me a message on the site.

And yes i own Urban-Mixes.com too which runs off the same code but keeps your mixes seperate on each site, house-mixes.com is the most popular at the moment but i'm working on urban mixes all the time to increase it's traffic.

In terms of traffic / people signing up I am probably exceeding what MV2 was achieving, and my service is just over 12 months old compared to MV2 which was around 6 years old i think.

Any more questions / issues please get in touch!

Paul