Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

Pro Tips on Flips

12:12 AM, 28 Aug 2014
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
XclusiveCity 7:06 AM - 2 September, 2014
I can't lie... but, at first I wasn't really too hyped about Serato Flip but, now I'm feeling like it's definitely another dope tool to have on deck.
mdg14 10:33 AM - 2 September, 2014
uh dis is hat (funkmasterflexvoice)
nik39 11:00 AM - 2 September, 2014
In the first two examples you say:

Quote:
Turn LOOP off

But.. you didn't say that one has to enable the loop. ;) What I don't understand.. why do we need loop on in the first two examples?
nik39 11:10 AM - 2 September, 2014
Doh! It enables the loop button as soon as you click on recording. Why is that?
Kid KaboOdle 8:44 PM - 2 September, 2014
I was also not really excited at first but playin around with it got me really stoked.
There's so many cool stuff you can do with this…
Serato the illest !!!
Dj MacMillz 9:05 PM - 2 September, 2014
Can I use 1 flip for the whole track? -->Censor the track in the various points but let the whole track run from start to finish and then save that Flip as (Clean track)

Haven't purchased yet, but very interested (especially for older tracks & cd rips)
Kid KaboOdle 9:55 PM - 2 September, 2014
Haven't tried that yet so not 100% sure but in theory it's possible.
You can make edits of your whole track like skipping verses or whatever parts you don't want… watch the vids above

for 29 bucks definitely worth it :)
Serato, Support
Sam GG 10:09 PM - 2 September, 2014
Quote:
Can I use 1 flip for the whole track? -->Censor the track in the various points but let the whole track run from start to finish and then save that Flip as (Clean track)

Yes, this is definitely possible. We figured this would be a pretty popular user case for DJ's who wanna play tracks with no available radio edits
Dj MacMillz 10:27 PM - 2 September, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, this is definitely possible. We figured this would be a pretty popular user case for DJ's who wanna play tracks with no available radio edits

Thanks!!
Youngtee 7:39 PM - 3 September, 2014
Flip is a real powerful tool I've re-done my intros into songs and also chopped up section for that crowd reaction( ohhhhhhh the ni&&a just FLIPPED that $hit) Good look on the flip serato
TheSilverStreak 9:35 PM - 3 September, 2014
Hey Serato, can we expect some real documentation on Flip? And maybe a real tutorial? Not just a video of someone playing with it?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:35 PM - 3 September, 2014
Hey SilverStreak, what would you like help with?

Have you had a go? Let us know what's tricky and we can help you out.

Also, have you watched this: Watchwww.youtube.com
nik39 7:53 AM - 4 September, 2014
Quote:
Doh! It enables the loop button as soon as you click on recording. Why is that?

Bump..
Serato, Support
Matt P 9:32 AM - 4 September, 2014
Hi nik39,

Yes it is enabled by default so that you can perform flips live without the need to have an extra arm to turn it on ;)

If you would like to see this behaviour change, I would suggest making a feature request with detailed information on how you'd like to see it function. This way we can consider it for review in forthcoming releases.

Holla - serato.com

Matt P
hobbbz 6:35 PM - 4 September, 2014
Same as SilverStreak, I want real documentation in the manual, not a video.

I followed the steps for skipping a verse exactly and cannot get it to actually skip.

It seems like hitting a cue starts the recording but it's not taking into account any bit of where I had the playhead before I hit the cue.

I wish there was a more distinct "start here" action.

I am in offline mode if that matters.
nik39 8:09 PM - 4 September, 2014
Thanks Matt. Thanks for your explanation! Personally the current way (loop) is not the most common use case for me, but who knows - I might be part of the minority.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 11:42 PM - 4 September, 2014
Quote:
Thanks Matt. Thanks for your explanation! Personally the current way (loop) is not the most common use case for me, but who knows - I might be part of the minority.

Yeah, we assumed it would be the minority too. But the live aspect of FLIP needs it to loop like this as time is crucial, and when you're at home making a FLIP you have the luxury of being able to turn loop on/off without any time pressures etc. That was our thinking behind it anyway.

Quote:

Hey man we've got a good article on how to make them, that is pretty much a manual entry : support.serato.com

If that doesn't help let me know what's confusing you and I'll try explain :)
nik39 11:59 PM - 4 September, 2014
Quote:
Yeah, we assumed it would be the minority too. But the live aspect of FLIP needs it to loop like this as time is crucial, and when you're at home making a FLIP you have the luxury of being able to turn loop on/off without any time pressures etc. That was our thinking behind it anyway.

Gotcha, makes sense :) Thanks for the explanation too.
hobbbz 2:48 PM - 5 September, 2014
Quote:

Hey man we've got a good article on how to make them, that is pretty much a manual entry : support.serato.com

If that doesn't help let me know what's confusing you and I'll try explain :)

When I try to do the most basic "skip a verse" flip, I hit rec, I put the playhead where I want to start the skip, I hit the cue to the end of the skipped section, I hit save.

This doesn't do any skipping when I play it back, though it does act different when I unload this track, load a new track, and reload my flipped track.
DJ Noumenon 3:17 AM - 6 September, 2014
Loving this so far guys. Being able to take original funk and soul tracks, cue point em up, and flip the cues to reflect the sampled version of that song is incredible.

Would be really dope if you could adjust the automation in the same style that you can shift beat grids (Option+Click/Drag).
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 11:25 PM - 7 September, 2014
Quote:
When I try to do the most basic "skip a verse" flip, I hit rec, I put the playhead where I want to start the skip, I hit the cue to the end of the skipped section, I hit save.

This doesn't do any skipping when I play it back, though it does act different when I unload this track, load a new track, and reload my flipped track.

Sounds like you're doing everything right. Just to be sure, try this exactly :

• Load track, press REC and move the playhead to the exact position you want to jump from
• Press the cue point of the position in the song you want to jump to
• Turn LOOP off, and press SAVE
• Reload the song

Once it reaches that point in the track, does it jump?
Dj Diamond Lee 9:33 PM - 8 September, 2014
Just wish we had full access to Serato so we could actually record the song we remix. As of now we have to plug in our DVS or Midi Controller set up. There has to be a way to give a code to all people who have paid for Serato DJ to use everything in the program OFF-LINe
swift807 4:19 AM - 9 September, 2014
Quote:
Just wish we had full access to Serato so we could actually record the song we remix. As of now we have to plug in our DVS or Midi Controller set up. There has to be a way to give a code to all people who have paid for Serato DJ to use everything in the program OFF-LINe

i'm feelin using everything off line but NO more codes or authorizations please.
1. Another issue that can go wrong.
I bought serato dj AGAIN cuz i wanted the ddj We Go just for back up and have a small unit . Now i'm having issues getting to the My Serato link for expasions , it's not seeing that i paid for serato dj . I wish they just included the price of serato dj into ALL the controllers so u can just download the software and plug and play without authorization issues.

2. makes it hard to be compatible w other dj's with different controllers or computer. For example, your controller or laptop is messing up and you could use your friends but nope,his wasn't authorized.
Remember the good ol dayz of Serato Scratch when u just plug and play no matter what computer or box you where using?
DJ Shash'U 1:27 PM - 9 September, 2014
one thing I noticed, is that the track we wanna flip, has to be playing for flip to work properly, I like playin with cue points in "int"ernal mode, it adds control,but imagine if we can record cuepoint's press & releases, maybe in the future..
djbigmark 12:11 PM - 10 September, 2014
can i use the reloop or akai with a ddj sx to add the flip feature.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 10:45 PM - 10 September, 2014
Quote:
can i use the reloop or akai with a ddj sx to add the flip feature.

The DDJ-SX already has flip controls mapped to the parameter buttons whilst in hot cue mode. However if you wanted to map the Flip functions differently you could do this on a secondary MIDI controller.
TheSilverStreak 10:46 PM - 10 September, 2014
Could you please elaborate on which buttons perform which flip functions on the DDJ-SX? TIA
Serato, Support
Sam GG 10:53 PM - 10 September, 2014
Logan explains the mappings in this video here from 1:45: youtu.be

Basically, if you have a DDJ-SX and you enter hot-cue mode the parameter buttons become Flip controls.

The left parameter button will arm the flip recording, the right parameter button will start playing the flip from the first recorded action. With Shift, the left parameter button toggles Flip looping and the right parameter button will turn the loaded Flip on/off.
Dj Diamond Lee 2:31 AM - 11 September, 2014
Let me ask. If I buy serato as DVS does that mean I use serato dj offline.
Serato, Support
Matt P 9:52 PM - 14 September, 2014
Quote:
Let me ask. If I buy serato as DVS does that mean I use serato dj offline.

No, there is still no way to use the offline player with multiple decks etc.
DJ 1 Man Band 7:14 PM - 16 September, 2014
Here is my question. I am in offline mode currently. I want to make a flip where I loop a section at the end and come back to another cue point at the beginning, similar to what was done in the tutorial video, but here is where I am stuck.

On the video, he (1) armed the flip recorder then (2) pressed (not held) a hot cue button and the track just started playing from the stopped position. I can't seem to duplicate that.

Second, when he loads the track after recording the flip, it starts right on the flip. When I load the track after recording the flip, mine goes to the beginning of the track. What am I missing?
Dj Diamond Lee 7:39 PM - 16 September, 2014
Quote:
Here is my question. I am in offline mode currently. I want to make a flip where I loop a section at the end and come back to another cue point at the beginning, similar to what was done in the tutorial video, but here is where I am stuck.

On the video, he (1) armed the flip recorder then (2) pressed (not held) a hot cue button and the track just started playing from the stopped position. I can't seem to duplicate that.

Second, when he loads the track after recording the flip, it starts right on the flip. When I load the track after recording the flip, mine goes to the beginning of the track. What am I missing?

I have having the same problem. I am afraid that when I want the song to edit it will play the edited version. I just think you have to click on the loop button and it will just play the flip portion then unclick the loop to play through. But I could be completely wrong.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 11:49 PM - 16 September, 2014
Hey guys,

So there's two things to note when doing this :

1). When you arm the Flip recording, make sure the playhead is right at the beginning of the track before you trigger the first cue point to jump to the bit you want to start your Flip with. This will mean that when you load up your Flip, it will instantly 'hit' this first action and jump you to the place you want to start (the end of the song). That's what I did in the video.

2). When a triggered the cue point I held it, then pressed start so it played. This doesn't matter at all, in fact I didn't even notice I did it. Flip recording doesn't care about the playing state of the track so all you need to do is make sure you hit the cue point where you want it to jump. You can start/stop the track playing whenever you want.

Let me know if that answers your question :)
nik39 11:58 PM - 16 September, 2014
Quote:
1). When you arm the Flip recording, make sure the playhead is right at the beginning of the track before you trigger the first cue point to jump to the bit you want to start your Flip with. This will mean that when you load up your Flip, it will instantly 'hit' this first action and jump you to the place you want to start (the end of the song). That's what I did in the video.

Hey Logan, I think this does not work, when "play from first cue point" is enabled. Can you confirm?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 12:04 AM - 17 September, 2014
Yeah it won't work with 'Play from first cue point' on because the playhead will not start at the beginning of the track - unless your first cue point is there in which case it will be fine.

It's not really a 'feature' of Flip, it's just that if you make it so your first Flip action jumps from where ever the playhead loads to, then you can make it so that the track basically loads at your first Flip action. So if you have 'play from first cue point' on just do the same as above but do it at the your first cue point instead of at the start of the song.

We'll likely add a 'load from first flip action' option in the future so this is just a nice way of achieving that until then.
nik39 12:27 AM - 17 September, 2014
Quote:
We'll likely add a 'load from first flip action' option in the future so this is just a nice way of achieving that until then.

Yay!! :)
nik39 12:27 AM - 17 September, 2014
+thanks for the clarification.
DJ 1 Man Band 12:29 AM - 17 September, 2014
Thanks Logan D. I am going to try this.
DJ 1 Man Band 12:41 AM - 17 September, 2014
Logan, I watched the vid again a bit more closely, and I saw what you meant about the button presses. I also followed your instructions about arming the recording at the beginning of the track (in my case, the 1st cue point, since that's how my tracks load). It works perfectly. THANKS for the clarifications, and YES a 'load from 1st flip' action would be outstanding, but not always practical. Either way, I can work with this. THANKS!!!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 1:19 AM - 17 September, 2014
Awesome man that's good to hear!
Let me know if you have any other questions :)
Sikwidityo 10:57 PM - 25 September, 2014
Logan D,

I'd like to do censor edits with FLIP in Off-line mode. Is that possible? And how?
Sikwidityo 11:43 PM - 25 September, 2014
Disregard. I was able to figure it out on my own. I didn't see any documentation mentioning using the U or J key for censoring.

Thanks.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 9:50 PM - 30 September, 2014
Hey Sikwidityo,

Yup just use those keyboard shortcuts! Also the new keyboard shortcut for Flip REC is the \ key which is the key directly below the Delete key.

Logan.
DJ TeeOh 3:10 AM - 30 November, 2014
Can you guys make Serato midi mappable WITHOUT being plugged into a Serato interface?

Some of use would like to use controllers to make FLIPs offline.
RayKayne 4:10 PM - 29 December, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Sounds like you're doing everything right. Just to be sure, try this exactly :

• Load track, press REC and move the playhead to the exact position you want to jump from
• Press the cue point of the position in the song you want to jump to
• Turn LOOP off, and press SAVE
• Reload the song

Once it reaches that point in the track, does it jump?

Same problem here. after doing that i can see a flip with the timestamp of the cue point. but i can't turn it on.
DJ Chris Anthony 9:33 PM - 16 September, 2015
What is wrong with flip. I simply cannot get it to work. Having the same problem as above. Why is it so difficult to work out? Can anyone help?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 9:36 PM - 16 September, 2015
What's the actual problem Chris? I'm sure we can help.
DJ Chris Anthony 9:39 PM - 16 September, 2015
Hi thanks for the contact. I have been trying to get flip to simply skip a section of track, but everytime i create an edit, the edit will not turn on. Even when I press the "ON" button it does not switch on!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 9:51 PM - 16 September, 2015
I'll give you some steps to follow just to check you are doing things correctly first :

• Press Flip REC
• Turn Flip LOOP off (you don't want this Flip to loop)
• Go to the section of the track that you want it to jump from. Align the playhead exactly where you want it to jump from (the track can be paused remember)
• Now press the cue point that you want the playhead to jump to (this skipping the unwanted section)
• Press Flip REC to end
• Press Save

Now when you reload this track, once the playhead hits that jump point it will skip the unwanted section. All you need to do is make sure it's set to ON in the saved Flip area. Clicking ON will just toggle it on/off, it doesn't actually jump anywhere.

Let me know how you go.
DJ Chris Anthony 10:09 PM - 16 September, 2015
Hi Thanks, I tried everything exactly and whilst the flip records, and I can save it, I am unable to turn it on. It just will not turn on even when I reload it and even when I press the on button. very strange.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 10:16 PM - 16 September, 2015
Are you sure? So you can see the Flip saved in the slot, and it says ON - but when you play the track from the start all the way through it doesn't jump? Can you see the Flip jump maker? Can you see any greyed out waveform in the area that it is jumping over?

If you're sure of the above then send me the file : Logan@serato.com and I'll take a quick look to see if there's anything wrong.
DJ Chris Anthony 10:40 PM - 16 September, 2015
So you can see the Flip saved in the slot, and it says ON - THE FLIP IS SAVED BUT IT DOES NOT SAY ON AND YOU CANNOT TURN IT ON WITH THE MOUSE.

but when you play the track from the start all the way through it doesn't jump? - CORRECT

Can you see the Flip jump maker? NO

Can you see any greyed out waveform in the area that it is jumping over? NO

There is no point sending the file because it happens with any file.

Ill see if I can send you a video of me doing it via we transfer
DJ Chris Anthony 11:00 PM - 16 September, 2015
video on its way
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 11:39 PM - 16 September, 2015
Hey Chris sorry man I just realised I missed the crucial step. Once you've hit record you need to trigger a cue point at the very start of the song (right on the 1st downbeat market), and then proceed with the next steps of finding the place you want to jump from etc. This is so that the Flip starts from the start of the song.

That should work!
DJ Chris Anthony 12:49 AM - 17 September, 2015
Hi thanks for this. I tried it and it worked, but i have played it back and after several successful attempts it the flip went right back to the beginning of the song instead of preceeding onto the flip. I will leave it for now. I dont think it is ready for publication because it is clumsy and unreliable.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 1:00 AM - 17 September, 2015
It's certainly a more advanced feature of ours and there are some usability improvements we'll make in the future. But it sounds like you aren't creating the Flip correctly. You need to make sure Flip loop is off, and then your first Flip cue point is right on the first downbeat of the song, and then fast forward to where you want to jump from and then trigger the next cue point from there. That should work perfectly.
DJ TeeOh 12:44 PM - 17 September, 2015
It must be a setting. I've been using it since it came out with no issue. Could you do a video and post the link?

Logan is correct. I experienced the same thing until I watched a tutorial on it and realized how to properly use it. Check one out on Youtube. If that doesn't help, I'm sure one of us can help sort it out.
Mr. Goodkat 12:03 AM - 8 June, 2016
its typical serato add on, ok, but not great or full featured. should be free within SDJ.
Sether 2:00 PM - 23 June, 2016
Just wondering if there is anyway to adjust flips? Like loops and Beat Grid TIA!!
Jaywoo 11:15 AM - 30 June, 2016
Quote:
Hey Serato, can we expect some real documentation on Flip? And maybe a real tutorial? Not just a video of someone playing with it?

This fo sho!
greenleaf 6:43 PM - 17 April, 2017
How do you enable multiple flips? Like if i wanted to skip two parts? When I do this as one giant flip, the first part skips, but the second doesn't. I tried to make two separate flips, but only one will stay on. I can't activate both.
DJ.Productions 2:14 PM - 5 May, 2017
Greenleaf, did you figure out how to enable multiple flips? Cuz I would also like to know
Thx
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 11:09 PM - 10 May, 2017
Hey guys,

Currently you can only enable one Flip at a time. So you'll need to make sure all the Flip actions you want to do are recorded in one Flip instance.

Logan.
max_imus 4:00 PM - 14 July, 2017
I have a couple questions about Flip:

1) I'm not quite sure I understand exactly what Loop Snap does, especially when Quantize is on (anyway.) Can you please give an example?

2) Similarly, I don't quite understand what exactly LOOP does. For example, let's take the easiest example where the flip just skips from some point A to a point B later in the track. In this example, the first cue point is at '1', point A is after 4 bars, the flip then skips another 4 bars to point B, and 2 bars after point B it goes back (loops) to the first cue point. What exactly is the logic behind these 2 bars?

3) Say we use a part at the end of the track as an extended intro, and set the first cue point there so the track loads there. The flip is then recorded so that it starts there and then after some bars skips back somewhere near the beginning of the track. Loop is turned off here. Now, I load the track and it correctly jumps as it should, then plays the whole track and once it hits the 'jump' point it does not jump a second time, as expected. However, any time you hit the first cue point again the flip is once again 'armed'. What exactly is the reasoning here? (It makes sense I guess because if you are beat matching and then go back to the beginning you want the flip to be activated.)

Thanks for your help!
Lexronn 8:49 PM - 5 February, 2018
Get a detailed explanation of how flip works watch my video
youtu.be