Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

A PREVIEW FUNCTION

dj ruckshun 11:20 PM - 25 March, 2009
It would be nice to be able to preview a song before you actually load it.
C. William 2:30 AM - 26 March, 2009
I use this all the time in Traktor (yes I use Traktor as well as Serato).
DJ Unique 3:01 AM - 26 March, 2009
It seems pretty easy to load, play to listen (preview).
You can repeat above step until you find the song you like.

Or you can try 1.9 and use the sample banks as your preview.

Either way, I think it's pretty easy with Serato as is.
WarpNote 10:01 PM - 30 March, 2009
Quote:
I think it's pretty easy with Serato as is.

I agree, with the new history in 1.9, I don't see any need for a function like that.
airdrawn 7:09 AM - 31 March, 2009
Quote:

hmm great idea! must check this out, you can have multiple previews...... wow!
j cue 3:58 PM - 31 March, 2009
good idea if u dont regularly use samples. just means you got to find and load your samples again after if you been using the banks to preview tracks etc... but good idea. i may use that
C. William 7:43 PM - 31 March, 2009
Quote:

I know it's easy with Serato but once you get used to (in Traktor) burning through your crates until you find the perfect track it's hard to go without it. It's really useful, which is what Serato is all about. It's one of the features in Traktor that I use constantly.

Don't knock it til ya tried it ;)
DJ Unique 8:33 PM - 31 March, 2009
Not knocking Traktor. I can't cause I never used it. So in Traktor you can preview songs by clicking without loading?
C. William 9:02 PM - 31 March, 2009
Quote:
Not knocking Traktor. I can't cause I never used it. So in Traktor you can preview songs by clicking without loading?

I know you weren't...I just hear that phrase used a lot on this forum and attempted to make a lame joke about it.

But yea...there's a little headphone icon next to every track in Traktor's browser that allows you to preview it before you load it. There's also a little section where you can scrub through the preview track by clicking along the waveform overview. It's an awesome feature.
djnico 6:09 AM - 2 April, 2009
I think an improved preview function is desirable. One of the big advantages with a DVS system is file management and if you could speed up the process of finding new tracks would make SSL more user friendly. Traktors preview function in the browser is a powerful feature.
C. William 3:44 AM - 27 April, 2009
I was messing around with Traktor last night and I have to re-iterate how useful the browser preview function is. Serato is all about including things that are truly useful in it's software and this is definitely one of those features that is incredibly useful.

When I'm using this feature I can quickly preview 10-15 songs before I choose the next track, which can often be the difference between making a decent song choice and a mind-blowing song choice.

Please, please consider this Serato.
AKIEM 5:05 AM - 27 April, 2009
where do you hear this this preview, through the computer soundcard?
C. William 5:49 AM - 27 April, 2009
Quote:
where do you hear this this preview, through the computer soundcard?

Yep.

I realize that this couldn't be implemented with the SL1 but it definitely could with the SL3.
AKIEM 6:13 AM - 27 April, 2009
so then you plug the headphones in the computer then switch back to the mixer?

so if you sent the preview out of the 3rd channel on the SL3, listen then switch over to the deck to cue?

I dont see what the gain is (unless you dont use headphones to cue, just look at the waves)
WarpNote 7:48 AM - 27 April, 2009
I'm with Akiem, I don't see any real use for this feature.
Don't own Traktor myself, but have been playing with it in my local DJ store. For the internal sound card you would either need 2 pairs of headphones or switch to laptop for previewing/cueing, no good IMO.

Quote:

When I'm using this feature I can quickly preview 10-15 songs before I choose the next track, which can often be the difference between making a decent song choice and a mind-blowing song choice.

When playing a 3 min song out on, say the left deck, you got loads of time previewing/cueing on the right deck, no problem to cue at least 15 songs while it plays. Just leave the right turntable spinning and keep loading songs on it. Remember the keyboard shortcuts people... <shift>+<arrow> load, then <alt>+<s>/<w> for the next in list, <alt>+<f>/<r> fast forward etc. It's the same way you'd do it on a cdj. (and even faster using a midi pad...)

Quote:

It's an option, yes, but I think the regular is way faster, easier and you still have pitch/turntable control. You're not saying you want to listen to all 6 at the same time?

The only scenario I can imagine this to be somewhat useful would be 2 dj's playing back to back on a 2 channel mixer, daisy chained sl boxes. And even then I don't think I would ever us it.

On a side note, if you really need to preview more than about 5 songs before making a decision, my comment would be that you'll need to get to know your own music a little better...?
WarpNote 7:50 AM - 27 April, 2009
ever us it = ever use it....
C. William 2:46 PM - 27 April, 2009
Once again someone chimes in with a mini-insult like "get to know your music better"... this forum is ridiculous...
AKIEM 3:50 PM - 27 April, 2009
Quote:
... this forum is ridiculous...
skinnyguy 6:15 PM - 27 April, 2009
well this needs to be explained further cuz i don't get it. i'm one of the guys who listens to the other deck via the headphones cue thru the mixer. isn't that what it's for? i can listen to tons of songs before the current song playing ends without the crowd knowing what i'm previewing.
AKIEM 6:21 PM - 27 April, 2009
I think its for people who dont use the headphones to mix (and maybe want auto-sync)
DJ Unique 7:34 PM - 27 April, 2009
Quote:
I think its for people who dont use the headphones to mix (and maybe want auto-sync)

LOL
DJ Unique 7:42 PM - 27 April, 2009
BTW
I don't think WarpNote's comments were a mini-insult but more as constructive criticism. If that was directed at me it would not bother me one bit. Since Serato does not have a rating system it might be difficult at times to find the right track. You may want to make different crates to help you out or do what I do. I add rating info to the comments field.
Cheers Bro.
AKIEM 11:50 PM - 27 April, 2009
And I wasnt joking ether. There are people on this forum who dont use headphones.
Joseph Vinoski 4:24 PM - 20 February, 2017
Sooo I see a lot of people stating they would use the second deck as a preview deck until they find the song they want to play next. Okay cool, but then what? So you found the song you want to play next, what about the song after or the one after that? You don't want to keep scrolling through to find those when you have that next track already loaded. Thus the preview function. I suppose the samplers would work too but you would end up losing any samples you have loaded etc. and my feeling that would become a pain to do.
AKIEM 5:59 PM - 20 February, 2017
It's because for 40+ years DJs have simply used the cue switch to listen to the next track without problem. And if they did want to listen to other tracks they would, by just putting the one they want back on when it's time to mix.

And there is there is the prepare crate you can save a track in to remember to play it.
Hanginon 1:53 AM - 21 February, 2017
Quote:
It's because for 40+ years DJs have simply used the cue switch to listen to the next track without problem. And if they did want to listen to other tracks they would, by just putting the one they want back on when it's time to mix.

For years trains used steam engines

For years airplanes only had propellers

They used to remove teeth without anesthetic

What a boring, tired, old argument against something!
AKIEM 2:13 AM - 21 February, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

For years trains used steam engines

For years airplanes only had propellers

They used to remove teeth without anesthetic

What a boring, tired, old argument against something!

It's not an argument against.

I'm just explaining why people don't need or want it. Not everyone would use it, and plenty people think it's more complication than necessary.

I think it's funny how often people claim whatever feature they want is a mater of technological progress.
Hanginon 3:37 AM - 21 February, 2017
Quote:
I'm just explaining why people don't need or want it.

No. Unless you're a mind reader, you're explaining why YOU don't need or want it.
AKIEM 3:42 AM - 21 February, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
I'm just explaining why people don't need or want it.

No. Unless you're a mind reader, you're explaining why YOU don't need or want it.

No, I am pretty knowladgable concerning other DJ's habits and methods besides my own.

No mind reading required at all.
Hanginon 4:07 AM - 21 February, 2017
Quote:
No, I am pretty knowladgable concerning other DJ's habits and methods besides my own.

No again. The correct response is "I am pretty knowladgable concerning other DJ's habits and methods besides my own, WHO USE SERATO".

DJ's who run Traktor, Rekordbox, and Mixvibes Cross, have a dedicated Preview function, and they USE IT.
AKIEM 4:27 AM - 21 February, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

No again. The correct response is "I am pretty knowladgable concerning other DJ's habits and methods besides my own, WHO USE SERATO".

DJ's who run Traktor, Rekordbox, and Mixvibes Cross, have a dedicated Preview function, and they USE IT.

Some use it. Some dont.

I am pretty knowladgable concerning other DJ's habits and methods besides my own, WHO USE SERATO, OR NO COMPUTER, OR PRO AUDIO MIXERS INSTEAD OF MIXING IN LAPTOPS.

not sure why I'm yelling.... lol