Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Tricky was to import files faster as normal!

pueblofunky 4:09 PM - 10 July, 2014
Hi DJs,

here is a tricky way how to import the files into SSL or SDJ faster as normal:

The reading or analyzing which files are behind the main and sub directories
takes very long in SSL/SDJ. After all file names are in "memory" SSL/SDJ starts
importing them by reading the tag infos.

To avoid the first part of this process I create a .m3u8 file which includes all
files names with the absolute full path I want to import.

In SSL/SDJ I select "files" and select the .m3u8 file - and SSL/SDJ has the
complete list in one fast way and the reading of the tags starts immediately. :-
)

The .m3u8 file I create with e.g. a file manager (e.g. with Directory Opus,
Total Commander, etc.), I make a flat list of all files of the root directory
(which is very fast with these file commanders), copy path + file names into an
editor and save the .m3u8 file (in UTF-8 format).

If you are able to write small scripts you can e.g. create the .m3u8 files every
hour or whatever.

E.g. my directory structure runs from 1983 to 2014 and behind every year I have the release of each CD.

Finally more then 5000 directories and SSL/SDJ is very slow when reading all file names in all directories. Reason unknown. But with another software and a created .m3u8 file this process can be avoided.

You can pre-create .m3u8 files from sub-dirs (or automatically create when sub-dir content changes). And select all .m3u8 files and import them ...
Culprit 4:35 PM - 10 July, 2014
with this process your totally avoiding the file scan process which is highly not recommended, good tip though!
pueblofunky 10:15 PM - 10 July, 2014
I also recommend this:

Instead of pressing "rescan id3 tags" you should delete the whole library and re-import all with the .m3u8 logic, because

when you re-scan - you only re-scan the actual files in your library. You then have to find all missing files in the library or select the root again and the process takes again a longer time.

Delete all (strg+del) in the library, and re-import with .m3u8.

BUT: Be carefull when you delete all tracks in the library - all normal crates will be deleted too when you exit - also the tracks inside of normal crates are away. Only use smart crates! .. Write a short cut of the crate name into the grouping tag, and re-create smart crates from the grouping tag. nobody need normal crates anymore. ;-)
Culprit 12:22 AM - 11 July, 2014
you also will lose the date added function
pueblofunky 4:29 PM - 12 July, 2014
No problem - I don't need it.

I wish SSL/SDJ would have the file creation and file modification timestamp. SSL/SDJ could update this info in the database when the file is selected or the line has a focus. Maybe with an option if this should be done.

However - thanks for the info for the others.

btw: I've just imported 30.774 WAV files from my external 4 TB harddisc via USB 3.0. Generating the flat file list in a .m3u8 file has taken 25 seconds. In SSL/SDJ it would take min. 3 - 4 minutes or longer. Then I selected the file in Serato - and Serato immediately started to read the tags. However - it has taken 22 minutes for 30.774 files! ;-)
pueblofunky 8:33 AM - 13 July, 2014
I would never do anything based on "date added" in SSL/SDJ database. Whenever it is corrupted and you need to re-import them or I want to use the info in other software - you don't have it anymore.