DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Wireless Mic system suggestions

Smoke21 2:54 PM - 2 July, 2014
Hello to all, im looking to upgrade from wired mic to wireless mic system. Any suggestions for mobile dj... Also should i get a wireless system with one mic or a combo of two?. Any help or suggestion on brand or the amount of mics would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance...
DJ Guayo 3:49 PM - 2 July, 2014
What's your budget? I would stay away from the cheap microphones. You should be able to find a decent mic between the $300 to $500 range. Some guys on here have used the audio technica microphones and ev microphones. I've used the Shure and Sennheiser microphones.
Taipanic 3:53 PM - 2 July, 2014
I use the Line 6 V70/V75 Series Mics. Very good sound, haven't had any issues with interference, static, etc...
Smoke21 4:12 PM - 2 July, 2014
My friend told me about the EV re2n but i think thats only one mic ... My other question is should i buy a wireless system with 2 mics or one enough??
Joee 9:31 PM - 2 July, 2014
Quote:
My friend told me about the EV re2n but i think thats only one mic ... My other question is should i buy a wireless system with 2 mics or one enough??

you can't go wrong with the ev re2 i use it, it's a really good sounding mic
imageshack.com

i will say this, it has a lot of settings/adjustments so if your new to wireless mic's it's gonna take you some time to learn all the features

1 vs 2 only you can answer that question, have you ever found your self needing two wireless mic's? you could always keep a wired mic for yourself and have the wireless for everyone else
Laz219 10:17 PM - 2 July, 2014
Always been happy with Shure,
pdidy 2:01 AM - 3 July, 2014
Ok, what im about to say can not be repeated and if you do i will deny all knowledge of this conversation.

About 10 months ago some asshole stole my $400 shure wireless mic at an event. Finally i broke down an had to buy one, i was so pissed off I decided to replace it with some cheap no name brand shit i heard about on another dj forum. Mind you im one of those people who only buys high end name brand. Anyway, i purchased www.amazon.com and i absolutely love it. Im a diehard shure 58 wired mic www.amazon.com user for 20+years and this cheap GTD Audio G-787H sounds just as good to my ears and i get 4 for the price of 1 shure wireless mic at only $329. The capsules are even interchangeable with shure and the distance is excellent.

That being said, im not recommending this mic to anybody. It will be your luck they break and sound like shit.....lol
DJSCIASCIA 2:17 AM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
Ok, what im about to say can not be repeated and if you do i will deny all knowledge of this conversation.

About 10 months ago some asshole stole my $400 shure wireless mic at an event. Finally i broke down an had to buy one, i was so pissed off I decided to replace it with some cheap no name brand shit i heard about on another dj forum. Mind you im one of those people who only buys high end name brand. Anyway, i purchased www.amazon.com and i absolutely love it. Im a diehard shure 58 wired mic www.amazon.com user for 20+years and this cheap GTD Audio G-787H sounds just as good to my ears and i get 4 for the price of 1 shure wireless mic at only $329. The capsules are even interchangeable with shure and the distance is excellent.

That being said, im not recommending this mic to anybody. It will be your luck they break and sound like shit.....lol

You are not the first one I heard to use those mics. I'm debating real hard to make the plunge. I love using wired mics but it's getting harder and harder not to go wireless.
pdidy 2:44 AM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

You are not the first one I heard to use those mics. I'm debating real hard to make the plunge. I love using wired mics but it's getting harder and harder not to go wireless.

and i am the ultimate skeptic.....i dont trust or believe nothin nobody says till i test it myself but in this particular case i was happily proven wrong.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:39 AM - 3 July, 2014
I also have a confession to make....

A few weeks ago somebody asked me to do an event for THAT EVENING for a Black Tie Affair for the Garden State Lawyers and Judges Association....

Something about the original DJ didn't confirm, etc..etc..

Anyway, I DJ'ed a Lawyer's who I knew's Wedding a few years back, and boom he calls me up last minute since the other cat dropped out...

Long story short, there would be a lot of scholarships, slideshows, presentations, dinner, Jazz Band (who was the FUNKIEST I'VE EVER HEARD IN MY LIFE), and me DJ'ing later...

So I figure for this Gala event, I should get a wireless mic, hit up my boy, (who has spares of everything), and asked to borrow a wireless mic for the night...

He asks me if I want a "Dual" one.... Eh, I say "Hell, why not? The more the merrier"...

So I get the mics, and go set up....

It quickly dawns on me that this was the BEST scenario EVER for dual wireless mics.

So they see me rollin' in big azz Vegas (snicker), and everyone is immediately like, "Oh, can we route the presentation through YOUR system instead of the hotel/hotel house system?"

I'm like sure no prob...and they snatch THEIR Wireless mic with the quickness...

Next thing you know, the BAND is wondering if they can pipe through my system, and for that I was like "Nah", only because there wasn't enough time for a soundcheck...

Anyway, I have one wireless mic on the podium, and another wireless one for ME...

Suddenly, I wasn't faced with having a situation of "Dead Air", if someone got shy, or god forbid, the original mics batteries die or a frequency conflict happens....

Mics worked GREAT all night....

Got in touch with my boy later, and he told me he bought them at some knockoff "DJ Store" on a Main Street in Elizabeth NJ....

Lemmie tell you how I found that store and bought these mics...

www.amazon.com

Price I paid? 170.00 for the "Newer" version of it.

The "Original" version (in a different box) was 150.00.

2 WIRLESS MICS....not built really for "sanging" I guess, but they sounded GREAT....

They paid for themselves that night....

And I'm a SHURE MIC PERSON ALL DAY LONG.....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:43 AM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Dude, for 150-170 bucks? You CAN'T pass that up...

And they LOOK like great mics also....

But make no mistake, the "Directions" have misspellings in them, bad translations grammer, etc..etc...

But the *ish works for when you want "Wireless" but don't want to worry about someone dropping your 500.00 wireless Shure.....
pdidy 4:01 AM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

But make no mistake, the "Directions" have misspellings in them, bad translations grammer, etc..etc...

But the *ish works for when you want "Wireless" but don't want to worry about someone dropping your 500.00 wireless Shure.....

I aint even concerned about somebody breakin or stealin these, my replacement mic is only $38.....lol
pdidy 4:02 AM - 3 July, 2014
pdidy 4:17 AM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

wireless mics are pretty much standard at the gigs i do. the few times i didn't have one were very awkward and the long mic wires across the floors were very inconvenience and unprofessional in my eye in 2014.
DJ Reflex 9:56 AM - 3 July, 2014
I use my Audio Technica mics every weekend for outdoor wedding ceremonies. Never had any issues with them.

Horror story time... I got a TTM 57 mixer - only 1 mic input. :(
The only mic I could find that had line level output (for the Aux input jack on the mixer) was a crappy Radio Shack brand mic. It works well for audio levels on the mixer and gives me a second mic for weddings and such, but... the range is crap! One day you can get good reception all the way across the room, and the next day you got to be less than 3 ft. from it to work. Audio dropouts and static at random. I still use it, but it is fussy! I'm constantly tinkering with the antennas to get good reception and God forbid anyone still has a Nokia cell phone!!!

If anyone knows of a good mic that has line level outputs (not just mic level XLR) let me know. I gotta get rid of this thing.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 10:44 AM - 3 July, 2014
PDiddy & Johnny thank you. It's about time people advocate something other than name brand top of the line stuff.
DJ GaFFle 11:07 AM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Mind you im one of those people who only buys high end name brand. Anyway, i purchased www.amazon.com and i absolutely love it. Im a diehard shure 58 wired mic www.amazon.com user for 20+years and this cheap GTD Audio G-787H sounds just as good to my ears and i get 4 for the price of 1 shure wireless mic at only $329. The capsules are even interchangeable with shure and the distance is excellent.

I've seen lots of reference to the newer GTD's being a good mic for DJ's and for me, Karaoke where my patrons are usually past drunk. I run Sennheisers for weddings but had to buy a dual-unit mount and antennae mount to neatly run the pair in a rack. I was thinking about getting the GTD 737 dual-rack unit but see there's another choice in the one Johnny posted. I've gotta do my research to see which would be best for me.

One thing I'm hoping is that their dual units don't require wall worts for power supplies. I'd rather one that uses a typical IEC-type computer power cable.
DJ GaFFle 11:20 AM - 3 July, 2014
^^^ GTD 733 dual-rack unit.
DJ GaFFle 11:24 AM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:

www.amazon.com

I've read that you can't adjust the frequency on these (the display is just for looks) so has that been a problem for you as far as frequency conflicts/interference?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:34 AM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
I'd rather one that uses a typical IEC-type computer power cable.

The one I posted fits that bill. Another additional plus that is underrated....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:37 AM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

www.amazon.com

I've read that you can't adjust the frequency on these (the display is just for looks) so has that been a problem for you as far as frequency conflicts/interference?

This is true. That frequency range indicator is nothing more than something to make it look "More Professional".

Truth be told, I THOUGHT it was adjustable when I first used it, but it's fixed.

I only used it that ONE NIGHT, but you couldn't tell me it didn't sound better than the Shure 58 I have....

I'm saying, for 170.00 bucks? 2 WIRELESS MICS?

OOHHH and get this, it has either dual XLR outputs or a MIXED 1/4 OUTPUT to go right into the LONELY MIC input of the 56s, or whatever Rane mixer....

Separate volume controls on the front....

Man listen....
DJ GaFFle 11:43 AM - 3 July, 2014
LMAO...

Another question... are those antennae fixed on the back? I have a 3RU gator case and I'm afraid a racked unit like this won't allow the antennae to be extended (via extender cables) or mounted up front.
Joee 11:45 AM - 3 July, 2014
NOOOO

just say no to $170 units spend the extra $170 and get this
www.shure.com
that mic can be had for $340

you can get this for $250
www.shure.com

*****THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT*******

just say no to cheap wireless mic, friends don't let friends rock out with cheap mic's

have a nice day :)
DJ GaFFle 11:57 AM - 3 July, 2014
I hear you but I already own a couple 'quality' and 'proven' brand wireless mics. Sometimes, you don't want to risk your expensive gear on certain crowds. This is my case for the cheap wireless + the ones you posted aren't dual units and they have no rackmount options that I can see.

Now I'd be wary of any cheapo units for weddings or any event of high importance..
Joee 12:01 PM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
I hear you but I already own a couple 'quality' and 'proven' brand wireless mics. Sometimes, you don't want to risk your expensive gear on certain crowds

if you already own quality mic's than the above statement does not apply carry on

if your doing karaoke and a bunch of drunk wannabe singers are using said mic's than a cheap mic it the way to go

now if you are buying your first wireless mic NOOO, stay away from cheap mic's
Joee 12:10 PM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
PDiddy & Johnny thank you. It's about time people advocate something other than name brand top of the line stuff.

this is very true as not everyone has endless supply of money to buy gear

BUT…

something just doesn't seem right to me……

pdidy comes to a event and hooks up his new $15,000 jbl vrx system & then pulls out his $38 mic
Smoke21 1:15 PM - 3 July, 2014
Which one is better than the other joee the blx or pgx??
Joee 1:33 PM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
Which one is better than the other joee the blx or pgx??

the blx is there newer model it can be has for less than $300 with a beta mic
www.shure.com

the pgxd is a older & digital model i also use on and have no complaints, to my ears they sound alike, where the difference comes in is i believe the blx allows you to use more units at one time than the pgxd

you could have i think 12 separate box's running at the same time, i think
Smoke21 2:29 PM - 3 July, 2014
Ok thanks joee
pdidy 2:32 PM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
pdidy comes to a event and hooks up his new $15,000 jbl vrx system & then pulls out his $38 mic

crazy aint it...lol

but i also have a few of the legendary shure sm58's.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:51 PM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
LMAO...

Another question... are those antennae fixed on the back? I have a 3RU gator case and I'm afraid a racked unit like this won't allow the antennae to be extended (via extender cables) or mounted up front.

No, they are able to be screwed in, thus extendable...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:07 PM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
friends don't let friends rock out with cheap mic's

have a nice day :)

Man, I smell you ALL day long on that...

However, there are enough LOW PROFILE events that wouldn't require a wireless mic of 3 miles range, or crystal clear clarity....

Those backyard BBQ's, charity events, the dreaded MC contests and talent shows, and other jobs where you cringe at the thought of a dude ending his performance by "Dropping the mic to make sure it's broke"....

There is a time and a place for EVERYTHING.....

Shure is the Gold standard, but when you don't want to worry about that adorable kids who sang his heart out, and dropped the mic when everybody clapped, this is what you do...

How many times have you RUN up to whoever had your mic and they simply LOOKED like they were gonna drop it?

Man listen....nobody said these mics were the "The Bomb", but when you have Wu-Tang wanna be's and 50 cats on stage all wanting a mic.....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:07 PM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
I hear you but I already own a couple 'quality' and 'proven' brand wireless mics. Sometimes, you don't want to risk your expensive gear on certain crowds. This is my case for the cheap wireless + the ones you posted aren't dual units and they have no rackmount options that I can see.

Now I'd be wary of any cheapo units for weddings or any event of high importance..

^^^^This this this!!!!^^^^^
dj_JM 3:18 PM - 3 July, 2014
These are all great suggestions for wireless mics! Especially the GTD and Technical Pro models...

Does anyone have suggestions for lavalier wireless mics? I need it for both indoor and outdoor wedding ceremonies.
JDforKing 3:35 PM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
These are all great suggestions for wireless mics! Especially the GTD and Technical Pro models...

Does anyone have suggestions for lavalier wireless mics? I need it for both indoor and outdoor wedding ceremonies.

This is the lavalier handheld combo i have. www.amazon.com

Its worked well thus far, for wedding ceremonies.
Joee 5:11 PM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
How many times have you RUN up to whoever had your mic and they simply LOOKED like they were gonna drop it?

never, i have a clause in my contract if anyone at any event other than my self brakes anything the client is responsible to replace said item

Quote:
Man listen....nobody said these mics were the "The Bomb", but when you have Wu-Tang wanna be's and 50 cats on stage all wanting a mic.....

this is true, they do there rhyme than drop the mic to look cool
ametia.files.wordpress.com

only big daddy kane can drop a mic and make it look good
Watchwww.youtube.com
Joee 5:12 PM - 3 July, 2014
^ 2:30 in
Ulrich von Hurtem 6:13 PM - 3 July, 2014
I've been happy with Audio Technica, wireless mics. Reliable, and sound good.

Audio Technica customer support is excellent. They replied to my email in under 30 minutes, and sent two, internal grill foam, at no charge.
DJ GaFFle 8:56 PM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
only big daddy kane can drop a mic and make it look good
Watchwww.youtube.com

He ain't the only one... don't forget the legenday Randy WATson! Watchwww.youtube.com
Joee 9:07 PM - 3 July, 2014
Quote:
He ain't the only one... don't forget the legenday Randy WATson! Watchwww.youtube.com

man he dropped the mic and all you heard was silence……..lol

kane had the go off…….
Smoke21 3:26 PM - 6 July, 2014
hello guys well i would like to know what u guys think about the shure PGX4 receiver… at my job they were throwing away some stuff and i came across the receiver so i went put and bought the mic which is SM58 .. any experience with this unit?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:58 PM - 22 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I aint even concerned about somebody breakin or stealin these, my replacement mic is only $38.....lol

Ha! Not anymore!

www.amazon.com , <- Same link you put up 2 years ago too....lol.

Hey, they increased the price of my whole system from 170.00 to 225.00...

Some of y'all must have told...
pdidy 6:09 AM - 6 June, 2017
Update: 3 years later my 4 mics are still working like new with zero issues and the replacement mic is back to $38 DJJOHNNYM_vSL3....lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:24 PM - 27 October, 2017
Quote:
Update: 3 years later my 4 mics are still working like new with zero issues and the replacement mic is back to $38 DJJOHNNYM_vSL3....lol

Update: 3 years later, my DUAL Wireless mics are working STILL like new - Yesterday, I had ONE SMALL physical issue with the On/Off/Mute button seemingly sticking on one mic. I called technical support, and WHY is the company located in Edison NJ, no farther than 10 miles from where I live?

You have to be kidding me.

I asked the guy how much for a replacement/repair, since it should be a simple fix - Get this, a REPLACEMENT MIC was $19.95 - the guy gave me back a nickel from a $20.00, and I used it last night.

19.95 REPLACEMENT MICS and it sounds like a Shure? C'mon son, that's a win.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:31 PM - 27 October, 2017
Quote:
Hey, they increased the price of my whole system from 170.00 to 225.00...

Some of y'all must have told...

Ha, the price of mine (1201) went DOWN to - 129.95 -> www.amazon.com

There is a newer model (1302) tho - @ 170.00 -> www.amazon.com

You can't beat that....
DJ Val-BKNY11203 5:27 PM - 3 October, 2019
What's the new meta on wireless mics?
pdidy 5:44 PM - 3 October, 2019
Im still using the cheap GTD Audio G-787H i posted about in 2014 lol
siroc5 11:04 PM - 4 October, 2019
Quote:
Im still using the cheap GTD Audio G-787H i posted about in 2014 lol

Copped that quickly. Very good investment.
deezlee 2:54 AM - 5 October, 2019
If you get a level mic get the sennheiser w the body pack receiver. Then you can also use it as a wireless speaker setup.
deezlee 2:54 AM - 5 October, 2019
Lapel mic.
DJ Nexus2000 4:30 AM - 16 October, 2019
Shure SLX is what I use and I love them. They are well built, have good sound reproduction, and they have many options for different configuration types. Also, the price is worth the quality of the product.
Chino 1:56 PM - 16 October, 2019
Quote:
Shure SLX is what I use and I love them. They are well built, have good sound reproduction, and they have many options for different configuration types. Also, the price is worth the quality of the product.

+1!! I just upgraded to a pair of Shure SLX mics. I ABSOULTELY LOVE 'EM!!!
577er 4:47 PM - 16 October, 2019
Another vote for Shure SLX systems
JDforKing 1:54 PM - 22 October, 2019
What's the biggest difference between the Shure BLX and the Shure SLX?
bumbo08 2:37 PM - 22 October, 2019
BLX
- Can't choose specific frequency
- Receiver scans and sets best frequency but doesn't sync with the mic
- Offers a bit more entry-level packs

SLX
- Choose frequency
- Has interchangeable capsules
- Can feature a bit more advanced mics
deezlee 3:31 PM - 22 October, 2019
Blx is really easy to sync though.
If you are not using a whole lot of wireless mics at the same time and you don’t want to switch capsules, then the blx is the same quality but cheaper.
I think :)
JDforKing 6:25 PM - 22 October, 2019
Quote:
If you are not using a whole lot of wireless mics at the same time and you don’t want to switch capsules, then the blx is the same quality but cheaper.

I was waiting for someone to say this. The biggest difference is the amount of units can be used at one time.
JDforKing 6:25 PM - 22 October, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

I was waiting for someone to say this. The biggest difference is the amount of units can be used at one time.

*that
577er 9:01 PM - 22 October, 2019
The BLX are nowhere as reliable in rooms with lots of interference. You are much better off with an SLX syetm. Especially if you are doing weddings or other high stakes events where dropouts can cost you a bad reputation which will cost you much more than investing in a better mic system.

There is a reason the BLX is roughly half the price of the SLX.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:26 AM - 1 December, 2019
Quote:

Ha, somebody must have dropped one of my wireless joints, got that replacement ON THANKSGIVING DAY before they closed at 1pm.

2 years later ....26.00 bucks...

Man, you STILL can't beat that...
pdidy 12:36 AM - 6 December, 2019
Quote:
Quote:

Ha, somebody must have dropped one of my wireless joints, got that replacement ON THANKSGIVING DAY before they closed at 1pm.

2 years later ....26.00 bucks...

Man, you STILL can't beat that...

Still an amazing price, ive never broke or lost one but neither do I really care at that price lol.