DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Yamaha dxr15 vs ev elx115p

JDforKing 5:59 PM - 23 June, 2014
Has anyone had a chance to compare the yamaha dxr15 and the ev elx115p? I can get the elx115p for almost $200 less than the yamaha dxr15. I'm looking for an inxpensive powered 15 that I can do weddings for 150 without a sub. I've owned the yamaha dxr15 and own the 12s and the 8s. I love the sound but I'm wondering if the dxr15s are worth the extra money when being used as a alternate system.
Joee 6:06 PM - 23 June, 2014
you back to this?.........lol

you used to own the dxr15 why did you sell them? since your pleased with the sound they put out

so you never heard the elx115p?
Joee 6:08 PM - 23 June, 2014
o and two answer you question, for it's intended purpose it does not matter witch one you chose

but the yamaha does have nice bass response when being used with out a sub, as i'm sure you already know
JDforKing 6:13 PM - 23 June, 2014
Quote:
o and two answer you question, for it's intended purpose it does not matter witch one you chose

but the yamaha does have nice bass response when being used with out a sub, as i'm sure you already know

The Yamaha dxr15 have nice bass response, but if the bass response of the elx115p are comparable, i wouldn't be against getting those because they are $200 cheaper.

My main wedding system is 2 yamaha dxr8s and 2 yamaha dxs12s. I coupled the subs this weekend and damn it sounded really good. I was able to couple the subs underneath my table so they didn't show and i really liked the look. I'm use to mounting the speakers on the subs but i think i like the sound of the subs coupled better.
JDforKing 6:14 PM - 23 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

The Yamaha dxr15 have nice bass response, but if the bass response of the elx115p are comparable, i wouldn't be against getting those because they are $200 cheaper.

Against getting the yamaha dxr15
Joee 6:17 PM - 23 June, 2014
Quote:
I coupled the subs this weekend and damn it sounded really good

this is the only way to do it, forget about placing subs on the side and pole mounting speakers

coupling them gives you a 3db boast in bass that you would not see otherwise

heres another idea for you, you have your small system why not get two dxs15 & two dxr12 as your bigger system?
JDforKing 6:25 PM - 23 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

this is the only way to do it, forget about placing subs on the side and pole mounting speakers

heres another idea for you, you have your small system why not get two dxs15 & two dxr12 as your bigger system?

I already have a pair of jbl prx718s sub and a pair of yamaha dxr12 that i use if i need more output. The problem is i rarely get to use my jbl prx718s subs. I've had them for 5 years and have only used them a total of 10 times. In my market the venues aren't really that big. I do lots of weddings but the average attendance size is 120 people.
Joee 6:30 PM - 23 June, 2014
Quote:
I already have a pair of jbl prx718s sub and a pair of yamaha dxr12 that i use if i need more output. The problem is i rarely get to use my jbl prx718s subs. I've had them for 5 years and have only used them a total of 10 times. In my market the venues aren't really that big. I do lots of weddings but the average attendance size is 120 people.

i see , well either will serve it's purpose , but i like the horn on the ev better than the yamaha, smoother warmer highs

but it seems like you a big fan of the dxr why not spen the extra $200 and get what you like? it's gonna make you that $200 back
JDforKing 6:37 PM - 23 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

i see , well either will serve it's purpose , but i like the horn on the ev better than the yamaha, smoother warmer highs

but it seems like you a big fan of the dxr why not spen the extra $200 and get what you like? it's gonna make you that $200 back

I've gotten great deals on my other Yamahas. I was on them when they first came out. They have gained more popularity and companies aren't really budging on prices anymore, especially the dxr15s. I also like the EV sound. I had a pair of the zxa1 tops, but they didn't have enough output so i got the yamaha dxr8s. I also had a pair of the zlx12s. I loved the way they sound, but they didn't have enough output. The reason why the yamaha dxr15s are an option is if i get them then im going to sell my dxr12s.
Joee 6:40 PM - 23 June, 2014
save the money get the elx keep your dxr12's, just remember white nob all the way up it's just a internal mixer red knob is your gain
Taipanic 7:07 PM - 23 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would not do even a wedding without a sub. You know there is a night and day difference in sound quality when adding one, why not use one. I feel my paying customers deserve it. I would bring one of those prx718 subs and just stick to the 12" cabs you have. It's really not that much more effort to bring a single sub out.
Dj Rehab 8:56 PM - 23 June, 2014
Weddings deserve a sub! They're paying for it!
JDforKing 9:12 PM - 23 June, 2014
Quote:
Weddings deserve a sub! They're paying for it!

What i think you guys in this forum fail to realize is different markets require different things. If a place is 2500 sq ft with 75 people a sub isn't always required. I have many set ups i use and based on the venue and the amount of people attending an event i assess whether or not a sub is needed. Sometimes a sub isn't necessary. In no way do i feel like i'm cheating a paying customer if i don't bring a sub.
Al Poulin 1:52 AM - 24 June, 2014
I bring out the subs for bigger weddings that pay well, but lately most weddings have been really small (125 or less) and so many people are cheap lately... so for these a pair of DXR15s on stands does very well and sounds great. My bigger wedding system is also a pair of DXR8s over a pair of DXS12s and it sounds fantastic with power to spare - even with the tops pole mounted over the subs - which I prefer because it eliminates the tripping hazard of speaker stands.

Have you considered a pair of DSR115s? They outperform both DXR15 and Live-X 15 and have a MUCH BETTER finish. I love my DXR8s and15s, but the finish is seriously fragile considering these are meant to be mobile DJ speakers. I do have covers for mine, but still..

Al
JDforKing 2:22 AM - 24 June, 2014
Quote:
I bring out the subs for bigger weddings that pay well, but lately most weddings have been really small (125 or less) and so many people are cheap lately... so for these a pair of DXR15s on stands does very well and sounds great. My bigger wedding system is also a pair of DXR8s over a pair of DXS12s and it sounds fantastic with power to spare - even with the tops pole mounted over the subs - which I prefer because it eliminates the tripping hazard of speaker stands.

Have you considered a pair of DSR115s? They outperform both DXR15 and Live-X 15 and have a MUCH BETTER finish. I love my DXR8s and15s, but the finish is seriously fragile considering these are meant to be mobile DJ speakers. I do have covers for mine, but still..

Al

I'm not interested in the dsr115. They are heavy and if I want something comparable I'll use my dxr8 dxs12 combo. I have the elx115 on the way. It should be here on Friday. I'll give it a listen, compare it to my current set-ups and let you guys in on my opinion.
Joee 2:26 AM - 24 June, 2014
Quote:
I'll give it a listen, compare it to my current set-ups and let you guys in on my opinion.

remember white channel all the way up, adjust your red gain as needed, i think you will be happy with them
DJ Remy USA 9:33 AM - 24 June, 2014
Always bring a sub. You want the best sound possible for your client regardless if its absolutely necessary or not. Bring a sub even if it's 20 people. They will always remember how great it sounded
JDforKing 12:16 PM - 24 June, 2014
Quote:
Always bring a sub. You want the best sound possible for your client regardless if its absolutely necessary or not. Bring a sub even if it's 20 people. They will always remember how great it sounded

How many weddings do you guys do a year? During consultations ive find wanting a sub isn't high on the priority list for my clients. Many people in this forum fail to realize that many things are based on your market.
Taipanic 2:44 PM - 24 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

How many weddings do you guys do a year? During consultations ive find wanting a sub isn't high on the priority list for my clients. Many people in this forum fail to realize that many things are based on your market.

I disagree. Market is irrelevant to sound quality. Just because the sheep don't know any better doesn't make it right. A system with a sub will always sound better and be more balanced than a system without. I just don't think it is that much extra effort to wheel in a sub. I use ZXa5s and still lug a Yorkville sub or two to every gig - most of the time by myself. When not using a sub, I see more complaints of the music being too loud, as the sound usually gets harsher as it is turned up.
To each their own but I have enough pride in what I do to put a little extra effort in to make it sound right. If we were doing parties side by side, which one would would most people rather be at?
JDforKing 3:01 PM - 24 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I disagree. Market is irrelevant to sound quality. Just because the sheep don't know any better doesn't make it right. A system with a sub will always sound better and be more balanced than a system without. I just don't think it is that much extra effort to wheel in a sub. I use ZXa5s and still lug a Yorkville sub or two to every gig - most of the time by myself. When not using a sub, I see more complaints of the music being too loud, as the sound usually gets harsher as it is turned up.
To each their own but I have enough pride in what I do to put a little extra effort in to make it sound right. If we were doing parties side by side, which one would would most people rather be at?

I agree, a system sounds much better with subs, but not every wedding reception requires a sub. I know for a fact not 1 of the 20 weddings i've done this year did the people leave the venue feeling they were short changed on sound quality. I always use the correct system for the job.
DJ GaFFle 3:44 PM - 24 June, 2014
Quote:
...When not using a sub, I see more complaints of the music being too loud, as the sound usually gets harsher as it is turned up...

This is a good point.
Joee 3:47 PM - 24 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
...When not using a sub, I see more complaints of the music being too loud, as the sound usually gets harsher as it is turned up...

This is a good point.

i also had complaints go the other way when doing events for older crowds

"can you please town down the bass it's too much bass"
Joee 3:47 PM - 24 June, 2014
by older i mean when theres 60/70 year olds at a event
DJ Val-BKNY11203 4:16 PM - 24 June, 2014
Quote:
I see more complaints of the music being too loud, as the sound usually gets harsher as it is turned up.

That's usually the case for people who run 10s or 12s as solo tops. Not so much for 15s as the bass response is much better.

And he is correct you need to know your market & crowd and expectation. At weddings people still need to talk and socialize. They don't want to be completely drowned out.
Joee 4:19 PM - 24 June, 2014
Quote:
That's usually the case for people who run 10s or 12s as solo tops. Not so much for 15s as the bass response is much better.

when not running sub this is the only way to go

Quote:
And he is correct you need to know your market & crowd and expectation. At weddings people still need to talk and socialize. They don't want to be completely drowned out.

this is 100% correct
Taipanic 5:40 PM - 24 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is a good point.

i also had complaints go the other way when doing events for older crowds

"can you please town down the bass it's too much bass"

I don't have a problem that way as I am the one in control of the levels to each speaker - the bass can always be turned down to an acceptable level for the situation. I also center the sub(s) to the dance floor, which focuses the heavy bass there and away from the tables, mostly.
I'm not calling anyone out here, I know a lot of people don't use subs and many of the clients don't ask for them or seem concerned if there is one. The people I play for seem to enjoy the dancing portion of the night more as they can feel the music rather than just hear it. They would be happy and have a good time with no sub too, just maybe not as much energy in the room and maybe not dance quiet as hard. I am sure going forward they will not hire someone who doesn't use a sub.
Even at home, I enjoy mixing in my studio way more since I added a ZXa1 sub to my Mackie MR8 monitors. Before, 30 minutes into a mix my ears would be fatigued, now I can play for hours (and enjoy it) if I want.
It's not life or death for sure, I'm just of the opinion that it's worth a little extra physical effort (which is really the issue here) for the sound to be better.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 6:35 PM - 24 June, 2014
Bottom line is whatever works for you continue to do it.
Joee 6:42 PM - 24 June, 2014
Quote:

api.ning.com
JDforKing 8:38 PM - 24 June, 2014
Quote:

agreed
DJ NoNseNse 9:48 PM - 24 June, 2014
Quote:

I totally disagree with this. Two dxr15's is totally fine for small events. It depends on your gig. I used two k12's with no sub's on deep mode and it was perfect for the event I was doing.
pdidy 11:56 PM - 24 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

I totally disagree with this. Two dxr15's is totally fine for small events. It depends on your gig. I used two k12's with no sub's on deep mode and it was perfect for the event I was doing.

well you cant "totally" disagree with it.....lol

I see what the problem is, many of you are debating 2 very different topics.
Preference and or need for a sub vs the fact that a sub provides superior sound quality.

The fact that a sub provides superior sound quality is not debatable.

Now if you are debating preference, need, "depends on" and so on... then that is a debate that cant be won because there is no right answer.
JDforKing 12:12 AM - 25 June, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The fact that a sub provides superior sound quality is not debatable.

Now if you are debating preference, need, "depends on" and so on... then that is a debate that cant be won because there is no right answer.

I agree
Taipanic 2:08 PM - 25 June, 2014
^^
Of course, as I stated I was just expressing my personal opinion, not saying it has to be done my way. I'm of the mindset of always bringing a sub because it will always sound better.
Carry on... ;-)
Taipanic 2:10 PM - 25 June, 2014
Quote:
^^
Of course, as I stated I was just expressing my personal opinion, not saying it has to be done my way. I'm of the mindset of always bringing a sub because it will always sound better.
Carry on... ;-)

Meant to say, I agree of course...
MarqSimeon 5:48 PM - 24 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Al

I'm not interested in the dsr115. They are heavy and if I want something comparable I'll use my dxr8 dxs12 combo. I have the elx115 on the way. It should be here on Friday. I'll give it a listen, compare it to my current set-ups and let you guys in on my opinion.

What was the outcome?
wicked223 1:33 AM - 17 February, 2015
yes what was the outcome?
JDforKing 6:48 PM - 8 March, 2015
I ended up getting a pair of ev elx115p for a great price. I paid $800 total for speakers and covers in almost mint condition. I definitely like the sound of the yamaha dxr better but these speakers have a place in my inventory.
rayjthedj 8:30 PM - 8 March, 2015
Sometimes you can put up with just a little less sound for a super deal. It is not like the ELX15P isn't a good speaker, I think I would have made the same deal.
DJ 3XOTIC 11:52 PM - 20 March, 2015
How did the ev elx115p sound?
JDforKing 3:03 AM - 21 March, 2015
I like them. I like the sound of the dxr better but I got an incredible price on a pair of elx. I still have a pair of dxr12s and dxr8s but decided against spending the extra cash on a pair of dxr15s and purchased a pair of elx115ps instead.
DJ 3XOTIC 6:25 PM - 21 March, 2015
Do you think it was worth it. Was the money well spent it if u could of, u would put down now money for the dxrs?
JDforKing 2:44 AM - 22 March, 2015
I paid $800 for the pair. The dxr15 would've cost 500 to 600 more a pair. I think the pair of elx were a deal I couldn't pass on. If you have the money go with the dxr15. I have a pair of 8s and 12s and love them.
Al Poulin 2:13 PM - 22 March, 2015
As much as I love my DXR15s, I agree that 800$ for a pair of ELX15s is hard to pass up. The ELX are excellent speakers as well.

Al
DJ 3XOTIC 4:21 PM - 22 March, 2015
Because I'm getting the ev elx115p for $1000 a pair with covers brand new.
JDforKing 4:32 PM - 22 March, 2015
Quote:
Because I'm getting the ev elx115p for $1000 a pair with covers brand new.

Great price with covers. I just checked eBay and the cheapest you can get a pair of dxr15 with covers would probably get $1320
JDforKing 4:33 PM - 22 March, 2015
*get=be
DJ 3XOTIC 4:57 PM - 22 March, 2015
I've been hearing good things about the jbl prx715 also, how would they compare to the ev elx115p in loudness and clarity
JDforKing 8:15 PM - 22 March, 2015
I have no idea I've never listened to them.
Joee 9:20 PM - 22 March, 2015
Quote:
I have no idea I've never listened to them.

the dxr15 sounds better than the prx715
DJ 3XOTIC 9:32 PM - 22 March, 2015
How would that compare to the evs though?
If the yamahas sound better than the jbls, how do the evs sound compared to the yamaha?
rayjthedj 1:33 PM - 23 March, 2015
Yamaha sound slightly better, and that is coming from an EV guy. I bought a set of Yamaha DXR15 tops for all my small stuff as they have the best overall sound of any 15" powered top I listened to under 50 lbs and that are affordable, I paid $1,350.00 for the DXR15s with covers.
DJ GaFFle 2:27 PM - 24 March, 2015
As far as I can remember, Yamaha has always made a solid top speaker. Subs, not so much.
DJ 3XOTIC 10:29 PM - 24 March, 2015
Overall, instead of getting the ev elx115p or the prx715, I should get the yamaha dxr15.
Loudness is one thing I need because I sometimes cover large dancefloors with at least 250, I'm also getting the Yorkville 801p sub.
Joee 10:32 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Overall, instead of getting the ev elx115p or the prx715, I should get the yamaha dxr15.
Loudness is one thing I need because I sometimes cover large dancefloors with at least 250, I'm also getting the Yorkville 801p sub.

two dxr15 & one ls801p……makes a kick ass system on the cheap thats capable of producing loud clear sound with loud chest hitting bass…..more than enough for 250 people
DJ 3XOTIC 11:00 AM - 25 March, 2015
I'm getting the dxr15 for $720 new, is this a good price?
desmorider 5:00 PM - 25 March, 2015
Not bad. They can be found for under $650 each,
DJ 3XOTIC 6:13 PM - 25 March, 2015
Where can I get it for that price?
JDforKing 7:03 PM - 25 March, 2015
Go look on eBay