Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Load next track ICON does not exist in Serato Dj 1.6 Why?

LuisBeyra 4:25 PM - 18 June, 2014
Load next track ICON does not exist in Serato Dj 1.6 Why?

Here is the Example from Serato 1.2 where it had this particular feuture.

Scroll down to:
Playback Controls
serato.com

i understand that we can press SHIFT and left or Right to load a new track but why take off the VISUAL ICON ?
Serato, Support
Jamie W 1:31 AM - 30 June, 2014
Hey LuisBeyra,

Thanks for getting in touch,
You are correct this button has been removed. The keyboard shortcut is your next best option.

If you feel this button is really important and should return. The best thing you can do is create a feature request forum thread. If enough other users out there support you, it may be something we look at bringing back / changing in a future update :)

Here is a link to create a feature request -> serato.com

Thanks,
Jamie
Hanginon 10:14 PM - 23 February, 2016
I am new to Serato DJ. Browsing the forums, I frequently see these kind of responses -

Quote:
You are correct this button has been removed. The keyboard shortcut is your next best option.

No accompanying logic for the decision. Were there hoards of DJ's clamoring for the "Load Previous Track" button? What?? Anything???
Serato, Forum Moderator
Phil C 4:34 AM - 24 February, 2016
Hi Luis,

It'd help if you could explain why this is important to have on the GUI. Like, in your DJ workflow how does having this button available help you?

We're always open to these ideas, it just helps if we can understand your use case.
Marv Incredible 6:54 AM - 25 February, 2016
I have to say I remember noticing the next track button disappeared ages ago and meant to say something but never did. I think it was because I didn't think it'd make much difference at the time (or maybe I just forgot to), but I did and do still miss it.

It was handy when loading tracks quickly in offline mode (file prep) as you could do it with one click of the mouse and not have to move out of that area. And I'd midi-mapped the button so that I could use it in routines to quickly load the next song or sample. Since you can't midi-map a keyboard shortcut I can no longer do this.
Plus, you could be searching or scanning a different crate and still load tracks from the playing crate without having to switch in and out of crates to do so. It definitely had its uses.

I've kinda got used to its loss now but since I rarely ever need to skip backwards through previous tracks, I don't really use the button at all any more. If it went forward instead of backward I probably would. And if you brought it back to where there were two of them I wouldn't complain. But I did like all the other GUI improvements you made at the time so I understood the sacrifice. Just would have preferred to have lost 'Back' rather than 'Next'.

Anyway, you asked for use cases so I figured I'd speak up this time. :)
Taipanic 2:52 PM - 25 February, 2016
Quote:
I have to say I remember noticing the next track button disappeared ages ago and meant to say something but never did. I think it was because I didn't think it'd make much difference at the time (or maybe I just forgot to), but I did and do still miss it.

It was handy when loading tracks quickly in offline mode (file prep) as you could do it with one click of the mouse and not have to move out of that area. And I'd midi-mapped the button so that I could use it in routines to quickly load the next song or sample. Since you can't midi-map a keyboard shortcut I can no longer do this.
Plus, you could be searching or scanning a different crate and still load tracks from the playing crate without having to switch in and out of crates to do so. It definitely had its uses.

I've kinda got used to its loss now but since I rarely ever need to skip backwards through previous tracks, I don't really use the button at all any more. If it went forward instead of backward I probably would. And if you brought it back to where there were two of them I wouldn't complain. But I did like all the other GUI improvements you made at the time so I understood the sacrifice. Just would have preferred to have lost 'Back' rather than 'Next'.

Anyway, you asked for use cases so I figured I'd speak up this time. :)

For me, it's the opposite. If I use either, it's the back button. Most often listening to different mixes of a song to which one fits best and then want to reload the previous track.
Very rarely do I have a crate prepped where I'm pulling track after track in where the Fwd button would be useful. I can see it's use for doing megamixes and such but the kb shortcut is good enough for me though being able to MIDI map it would be better for sure.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Phil C 2:45 AM - 29 February, 2016
Thanks guys,

I see what you mean Marv - especially for quickly previewing a bunch of songs in a crate. I'll bring this up with the team.

Phil