DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DJ Contracts...

DjWoody 12:05 AM - 23 April, 2006
Who here uses them? Who made it for you?

I was pretty much forced into making one after some issues came up from a gig. I made it my self, it's pretty good compared to others, but I ain't no lawyer... NOT YET! ;) I'll upload it later. Do you guys find them useful? I rarely use it to be honest.
DJ Yaz 12:27 AM - 23 April, 2006
Post it. If I remember some of the members on here are lawyers? At least one?
sixxx 2:00 AM - 23 April, 2006
I use them. You can download it if you want to look at it and compare. Mine is very simple. I did it myself too a few years back. It has saved my ass a couple of times.

www.2illegalaliens.com

Go to the contacts page.
sixxx 2:00 AM - 23 April, 2006
Btw, if you're DJ'ing and don't have a contract - you're gambling.
DJ Yaz 2:41 AM - 23 April, 2006
I like your site Sixxx.
DJ XTURNAL 3:07 AM - 23 April, 2006
Quote:
I like your site Sixxx.

yeah me too, where's it from and what'd u use to customize?
sixxx 4:10 AM - 23 April, 2006
Actually, I bought the template and customized it myself. I know how to do flash but don't have the time to do a complete website. So, I took the easy route and got the template.

Thanks guys.
CMS 9:16 AM - 23 April, 2006
I use a contract, it's pretty basic. If you want a copy of it for your use let me know, I'll be more than happy to send you a copy which you can edit for your own use.
Julls 12:10 PM - 23 April, 2006
Well here goes my contract, feel free to change it around and use it:

Mobile Sounds DJ Service Entertainment Contract

AGREEMENT made this ____ day of __________, 20__, by and between _______________________________________, hereinafter referred to as the Purchaser, and Mobile Sounds DJ Service, hereinafter referred to as the DJ.

WITNESSETH
NOW THEREFORE, in consideration of the promises and the agreements herein contained and intending to be legally bound hereby, the Parties do agree as follows:
1. The Purchaser hereby engages the DJ to provide a DJ Service. The service to be performed at Event Location:

(Venue): ___________________________________________________________

(Address): _____________________________________________________

(Phone #): _____________________________________________________

2. Mobile Sounds DJ Service hereby agrees to provide a DJ Service for the Purchaser at the above-mentioned location.
3. The said DJ Service shall consist primarily of providing musical entertainment by means of a recorded music format.
4. Mobile Sounds DJ Service hereby agrees to render professional services and is at all times to have complete control of the program.
5. The Parties hereby agree that the DJ Service shall be provided and accepted on the following date(s) and time(s) of the engagement:

Date(s): ___________________________________.

Start Time(s): ______AM/PM

Finish Time(s): ______AM/PM

6. The Purchaser in consideration of the DJ Service to be rendered by the DJ, and the mutual promises contained herein, hereby agrees to pay to the DJ the following consideration:
A non-refundable reservation fee of $__________, is required to secure the services of Mobile Sounds DJ Service for the engagement. This amount shall be applied toward the Performance Fee.
The Performance Fee is $__________ for the time frame outlined above.
Services requested that exceed the time frame will be charged at the rate of $100.00 per hour, payable the day of the engagement. It may not always be possible to provide additional performance time. However, when feasible, requests for extended playing time will be accommodated.
Purchaser Initials _________ Mobile Sounds DJ Service ______

Additional Terms and Conditions
The agreement of the DJ to perform is subject to proven detention by accidents, riots, strikes, epidemics, acts of God, or any other legitimate conditions beyond their control. If such circumstances arise, all reasonable efforts will be made by Mobile Sounds DJ Service to find replacement entertainment at the agreed upon fees. Should Mobile Sounds DJ Service be unable to procure a replacement, Purchaser shall receive a full refund. Purchaser agrees that in all circumstances, Mobile Sounds DJ Service liability shall be exclusively limited to an amount equal to the performance fee and that Mobile Sounds DJ Service shall not be liable for indirect or consequential damages arising from any breach of contract.
All deposits are nonrefundable if cancelled within 30 days of the engagement unless the DJ cancels the engagement.

No performance on the engagement shall be recorded, reproduced, or transmitted from the place of performance, in any manner, or any means whatsoever, in the absence of a specific written agreement with Mobile Sounds DJ Service relating to and permitting such recording, reproduction, or transmission. Pictures and videotape of the event are permitted for the private use of the contracting party only.

The purchaser and DJ agree that this contract is not subject to cancellation unless both parties have agreed to such cancellation in writing. In the event the Purchaser breaches the contract, he or she shall pay the DJ the amount set forth above as "Wage agreed upon" as liquidated damages, 6% interest thereon, plus a reasonable attorney's fee.

It is hereby further agreed; that the Purchaser shall be held liable for any injury or damages to the DJ, or property of the DJ, while on the premises of said engagement, if damage is caused by Purchaser or guest, members of his organization, engagement invitees, employees, or any other party in attendance, whether invited or not.

It is understood that if this is a "Rain or Shine" event, Mobile Sounds DJ Service compensation is in no way affected by inclement weather. For outdoor performances, Purchaser shall provide overhead shelter for setup area. The DJ reserves the right, in good faith, to stop or cancel the performance should the weather pose a potential danger to him, the equipment, or audience. Every effort will be made to continue the performance. However, safety is paramount in all decisions. The DJ's compensation will not be affected by such cancellation.

In the event of circumstances deemed to present a threat or implied threat of injury or harm to Mobile Sounds DJ Service staff or any equipment in Mobile Sounds DJ Service possession, Mobile Sounds DJ Service reserves the right to cease performance. If the Purchaser is able to resolve the threatening situation in a reasonable amount of time (maximum of 15 minutes), Mobile Sounds DJ Service shall resume performance in accordance with the original terms of this agreement. Purchaser shall be responsible for payment in full, regardless of whether the situation is resolved or whether Mobile Sounds DJ Service resumes performance. In order to prevent equipment damage or liability arising from accidental injury to any individual attending this performance, Mobile Sounds DJ Service reserves the right to deny any guest access to the sound system, music recordings, or other equipment.

Purchaser shall provide Mobile Sounds DJ Service with safe and appropriate working conditions. This includes a 6-foot by 6-foot area for setup, space for setting up speakers and lighting stands. Mobile Sounds DJ Service requires a minimum of one 15-20-amp circuit outlet from a reliable power source within 50 feet (along the wall) of the set-up area. This circuit must be free of all other connected loads. Any delay in the performance or damage to DJ's equipment due to improper power is the responsibility of the purchaser. Two circuits are preferred, where possible. Additional outlets on SEPARATE circuits for lighting (if contracted for) are required. Purchaser shall provide crowd control if warranted; and furnishing directions to place of engagement. Purchaser is responsible for paying any charges imposed by the venue. These charges may include, but are not limited to, parking, use of electric power, and fire marshal if necessary (for use of fog).

The Purchaser shall at all times have complete control, direction and supervision of the performance of Mobile Sounds DJ Service at this engagement and Purchaser expressly reserves the right to control the manner, means and details of the performance of the services of Mobile Sounds DJ Service. A written event/music planner or music request list must be received from the Purchaser and forwarded to Mobile Sounds DJ Service at least two weeks prior to the date of the engagement for it to be included in Mobile Sounds DJ Service programming guidelines. With or without the aid of an event/music planner or music request list, Mobile Sounds DJ Service shall attempt to play Purchaser's and Purchaser's guests' music requests but shall not be held responsible if certain selections are unavailable. Mobile Sounds DJ Service will make an extra effort to have music requests available if they are received IN WRITING at least two weeks prior to the engagement.

In the event of non-payment, Mobile Sounds DJ Service retains the right to attempt collection through the courts. Purchaser will be held responsible for all court fees, legal fees, and collection costs incurred by Mobile Sounds DJ Service. Purchaser shall be charged $25 for each bounced check plus a $7.50 service charge for each collection notice.

This agreement guarantees that Mobile Sounds DJ Service will be ready to perform at the start time of the engagement. No guarantee is made as to Mobile Sounds DJ Service time of arrival; however, Mobile Sounds DJ Service requests that they be permitted ________ minutes before the engagement and ________ minutes after the engagement for setup and takedown. Mobile Sounds DJ Service also requests ramp or elevator access between the parking/service entrance and the setup area. If the venue requires setup or takedown in less time, or if equipment must be carried up stairs or lifted onto a stage to reach the setup area, additional labor will be charged at the rate of $50.00. If Purchaser or venue requires Mobile Sounds DJ Service to complete setup more than one hour before the start time, or to postpone takedown more than hour after the end time indicated, the additional time will be charged at the rate of $50.00 per half-hour.

Engagements within Okaloosa County will not be assessed a travel charge. Services requiring travel outside of this area will be charged at $0.50 per mile in excess of 20 miles. Engagements in excess of 200 miles will require accommodations be made for an overnight stay in a local hotel/motel for Mobile Sounds DJ Service to be provided by Purchaser.

Special provisions & Additional Services Requested

By executing this contract as Purchaser, the person executing said contract, either individually, or as an agent or representative, represents and warrants that he or she is eighteen (18) years of age, and further, if executing said contract as agent or representative, that he or she has the authority to enter into this agreement and should he or she not have such authority, he or she personally accepts and assumes full responsibility and liability under the terms of this contract.

All attached riders are an integral part of this contract. This contract will supersede any other contract. If any part of this contract is illegal or unenforceable, the remaining provisions of this contract will remain valid and enforceable to both parties. This contract contains the entire agreement between the parties and no statement, promises, or inducements made by any party hereto, or agent or representative or either party hereto, which are not contained in this written contract, shall be valid or binding. This contract shall not be enlarged, modified, or altered except in writing by both parties and endorsed hereon.

The laws of the State of Florida shall govern this agreement. In the event of suit involving or relating to this agreement, Purchaser agrees that venue will be in Okaloosa County. Purchaser agrees to defend, indemnify, assume liability for and hold Mobile Sounds DJ Service harmless from any claims, damages, losses and expenses by or to any person, regardless of the basis, which pertains directly or indirectly to Mobile Sounds DJ Service performance. In the event that a civil action arises in an effort to enforce any provision of this agreement, the losing party shall pay the attorney's fee and court costs of the prevailing party. Purchaser may not transfer this contract to another party without the prior written consent of Mobile Sounds DJ Service. This agreement is not binding until signed by both parties (Purchaser and DJ) and Mobile Sounds DJ Service has received it. Any changes must be written and signed by both the Purchaser and Mobile Sounds DJ Service. Oral agreements are non-binding. If any clause in this agreement is found to be illegal, the rest of the agreement shall remain in force.

Mobile Sounds DJ Service may elect not to exercise their rights as specified in this agreement. By doing so, Mobile Sounds DJ Service does not waive their right to exercise those options at a future date.

THE PARTIES hereto promise to abide by the terms of this agreement and intend to be legally bound thereby.

Purchaser:

Street Address: __________________________________

Daytime Phone: __________________________________

Evening Phone: __________________________________

Mobile Sounds DJ Service:

Dj K.Smith 5:23 PM - 23 April, 2006
Gotta have a contract. It also helps to seal the deal when people know they are dealing with a professional...
twinsouls 6:19 PM - 23 April, 2006
For Those who are feeling lazy or hungover,Found These. Hope there helpfull----->
www.northtexasdj.com

DJ Contract Long
www.sistersf.com

DJ Contract Short
www.sistersf.com

www.aperfectdj.com

www.musiclegalforms.com

www.tjsusan.com

northmo.com
twinsouls 6:23 PM - 23 April, 2006
On a side note: Do you have to be a "lisenced" DJ for these contracts to be legaly binding? Meaning you pay taxes and pay royalties to play your music?
vidoona 9:53 PM - 23 April, 2006
Interesting question, but I think a contract is a contract regardless. Probably depends on how good your lawyer or their lawyer is. As far as taxes, I think I heard once that if you make more than $6,000/yr on a cash business, it needs to be reported to the IRS and taxes need to be paid.

As far as royalties, I'm under the impression that since how you are charging for you DJ Services and not the music, that it falls under the fair use media recording/playback acts of the early 90's.

Is there anyone who has a definitive answer on these topics.......I'd love to know for sure.
Julls 9:59 PM - 23 April, 2006
Quote:
On a side note: Do you have to be a "lisenced" DJ for these contracts to be legaly binding? Meaning you pay taxes and pay royalties to play your music?

I would think so. Just go out and get a license, its not that expensive.

From what I understand, if you play at like a convention center or something, they must carry a blanket license for music or something like that.
vidoona 10:10 PM - 23 April, 2006
Ok, just called a lawyer friend.

Under the Trinidad and Tobago act, the venue must own the "Cott" license (the bar or club); however, a DJ or cover band must obtain a "Cott" license for places like house parties, outside performances, or any other venue (convention centers, wedding halls) that does not own lecense.
Julls 10:11 PM - 23 April, 2006
I wonder how much the Cott license runs?
vidoona 10:39 PM - 23 April, 2006
I wonder how many DJs actually own it.......may be worth a poll in a separate thread.
DjWoody 3:56 AM - 24 April, 2006
I know my friend's venue pays $750 for their Cott License.
vidoona 4:35 AM - 24 April, 2006
$750/yr?
vidoona 4:36 AM - 24 April, 2006
PS
I actually started another thread with that poll.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 7:35 AM - 24 April, 2006
wow Julls, did you type that all out? or did you cut n paste :)
Julls 9:35 AM - 24 April, 2006
Quote:
wow Julls, did you type that all out? or did you cut n paste :)

You mean did I cut and paste into the thread? Yes. There is no way in hell i'm going to type all that. I just thought someone else could use it to.
Sim 3:44 PM - 24 April, 2006
Heres mine, I can email the word doc if anyone wants it, the word doc is obviously formatted right, this is how it looks copy and pasted.

Event Contract
This agreement is for personal services of 2 Disc Jockeys (DJs) and 0 additional personnel (as described below in section 16 - “Special Provisions”) for the event described below made this day of October 2005, between the undersigned Purchaser of entertainment and KV Records. Please read this contract in full, and sign at the bottom.
Venue: X
Address of Venue: X
City: X Postal Code: x Phone #: x
Type of event: USC Scream
Date(s) of event(s): November 5, 2005
Setup start time(s): 8:00 p.m. Event start time(s): 9:00 p.m. Event finish time(s): 2:00 a.m. Takedown finish time(s):
Total performance fee agreed upon: $ All payments should be made payable to:
A non-refundable reservation fee of: $ is required to secure KV Records for the event. This amount shall be subtracted from the performance fee.

x
Name / Signature Of Purchaser KV Records Signature

Address

City Postal Code

Phone Fax Email

1. The Purchaser shall at all times have complete control, direction and supervision of the performance of services by the DJs at this event and Purchaser expressly reserves the right to control the manner, means and details of the performance of the services by the DJs. A written event/music planner or music request list must be received by KV Records at least two weeks prior to the date of the event for it to be included in the DJs’ programming guidelines. With or without the aid of an event/music planner or music request list, the DJs shall attempt to play Purchaser’s and Purchaser’s guests’ music requests but shall not be held responsible if certain selections are unavailable or are not played. KV Records will make an extra effort to have music requests available if they are received by KV Records in writing at least two weeks prior to the event.
2. This agreement of the DJs to perform shall be excused by detention of the DJs by sickness, accidents, riots, strikes, epidemics, acts of God, Force Majure or any other legitimate condition beyond the DJs’ control. If such circumstances arise, all reasonable efforts will be made by KV Records to find a replacement DJ at the agreed upon fees. Should KV Records be unable to procure a replacement DJ, Purchaser shall receive a full refund. Purchaser agrees that in all circumstances, KV Records liability shall be exclusively limited to an amount equal to the performance fee which will already be returned and that KV Records shall not be liable for indirect or consequential damages arising from any breach of contract.
3. Purchaser is responsible for paying any charges imposed by the venue. These charges may include, but are not limited to, RIAA fees, parking, use of electric power, fire marshal, time before and after the event utilized to set up and/or take down equipment, clean up fees, broken or damaged equipment.
4. Purchaser shall provide KV Records with safe and appropriate working conditions. This includes, but is not limited to, providing a secure and sturdy 6-foot set-up table and a 120-volt outlet (3-prong grounded with at least 15 amps available) from a reliable power source within 25 feet of the set-up area; providing a facility that completely covers and protects KV Records equipment from adverse weather conditions (i.e., direct sunlight, rain, excessive winds); providing crowd control if warranted; and furnishing directions to place of event and free parking. Purchaser accepts full responsibility and is liable for any damages, injuries or delays that occur as a result of failure to comply with this provision and holds KV Records completely not responsible.
5. The amount agreed upon and shown above applies to the performance times set forth in this agreement. Performance time added after this agreement has been signed will be provided at the rate of $60.00 per half-hour. Overtime is billed in half-hour increments. There is a 10-minute grace period before overtime is incurred for any half-hour period. It may not always be possible to provide additional performance time. However, when feasible, requests for extended playing time will be accommodated. This agreement guarantees that the DJs will be ready to perform at the start time of the event. No guarantee is made as to the DJs’ time of arrival; however, KV Records requests that the DJs be permitted 30 minutes before the event and 30 minutes after the event for setup and takedown which will count as a complete hour per an hourly rate. KV Records also requests ramp or elevator access between parking/service entrance and setup area. If the venue requires setup or takedown in less time, or if equipment must be carried up stairs to reach the setup area, additional labor will be charged at the rate of $60.00 per half-hour. If Purchaser or venue requires KV Records to complete setup before the start time indicated in this agreement, or to postpone takedown after the end time indicated in this agreement, the additional time will be charged at the rate of $ per half-hour.
6. KV Records, during performances will be allowed a guest list of maximum 10 persons. These persons will be allowed free entry. All members, artists, and partners are exclusive of this guest list and are guaranteed entry for no cost. All media reviewers and sponsors of KV Records are allowed free entry.
7. Purchaser will take steps to protect KV Records equipment, music and personnel during the contracted period. Any damages incurred due to a lack of reasonable protection on your part (except in the case of gross negligence on the part of the DJs) will be payable by Purchaser to the extent of repair or replacement of damaged music and equipment, and all costs of medical and/or psychological treatment.
8. In the event of circumstances deemed by the DJs to present a threat or implied threat of injury or harm to the DJs or any equipment in the DJs’ possession, the DJs reserve the right to cease performance. If the Purchaser is able to resolve the threatening situation in a reasonable amount of time (maximum of 15 minutes), DJs shall resume performance in accordance with the original terms of this agreement. Purchaser shall be responsible for payment in full, regardless of whether the situation is resolved or whether the DJs resume performance. In order to prevent equipment damage or liability arising from accidental injury to any individual attending this performance, the DJs reserve the right to deny any guest or event staff access to sound system, music recordings, or equipment. In the instance a guest, purchaser, an uncontrollable instance, etc.; not in the hands of KV Records, ruins any equipment owned by KV Records, the purchaser shall be held responsible and will have to replace the equipment based at its appraised price before the accident occurred.
9. KV Records may elect not to exercise their rights as specified in this agreement. By doing so, KV Records does not waive their right to exercise those options at a future date.
10. Purchaser shall be charged $20 for each NSF check in addition to a $7.50 service charge for each collection notice. In the event of non-payment, KV Records retains the right to attempt collection through California courts. Purchaser will be held responsible for all court fees, legal fees, and collection costs incurred by KV Records.
11. Purchaser agrees to defend, indemnify, assume liability for and hold KV Records harmless from any claims, damages, losses and expenses by or to any person, regardless of the basis, which pertains directly or indirectly to KV Records performance. In the event that a civil action arises in an effort to enforce any provision of this agreement, the purchaser party shall pay the attorney’s fee and court costs of the prevailing party.
12. This agreement is not binding until received and signed by KV Records. Any changes must be written and signed by both the Purchaser and KV Records. Oral agreements are non-binding. If any clause in this agreement is found to be illegal, the rest of the agreement shall remain in force.
13. This agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of California. In the event of a legal suit involving or relating to this agreement, Purchaser agrees that the venue of the legal proceedings will be in California.
14. This agreement cannot be canceled except by mutual written consent of both the Purchaser and KV Records. If agreement cancellation is initiated by the Purchaser in writing and agreed to by KV Records in writing, Purchaser will be required to pay only 25% (within one week), or 50% (within 2 days) of the total fee agreed upon. Otherwise Purchaser shall be obligated to make full payment of the total fee agreed upon.
15. Purchaser may not transfer this contract to another party without the prior written consent KV Records.
16. KV Records refers to its current members, any action taken against KV Records will stop at the entity and/or its assets. In the case KV Records no longer exists as an entity and/or members do not affiliate themselves action can not be taken against individuals.
17. Special provisions: A minimum of one (1) security guard is required to be stationed at the D.J. booth at all times. There are no exceptions for this provision.
djrocket 5:38 PM - 24 April, 2006
Here is mine:
s2kdj.com
click on downloads then contract
DjWoody 6:19 PM - 24 April, 2006
Here's mine...

It's made with Promoters in mind and it's based in real life experiences. I'm sure you'll relate to a lot of the fine print as I just tried to cover my ass.

--------------------------------------------------------------
djwoody.com
Spin Dr's 6:33 PM - 24 April, 2006
Quote:

Being a "licensed" DJ adds to your credibility. It also protects your DJ company name just in case someone esle comes and decides to use the same name you have and will be denied should they try and register the name b/c it's already been taken. I doesn't cost to much to get your business license which you will have to renew every year or depending on how it is set up in each state.
djransom 6:40 PM - 24 April, 2006
Very professional contract DJ Woody.
DjWoody 6:46 PM - 24 April, 2006
Quote:
$750/yr?

Yes...

Thanks Ransom.
DjWoody 6:48 PM - 24 April, 2006
Where do you guys get your "LICENSE" from? I have a Business License but that's only valid in the city I got it. I wish there was some sort of "Blanket" license that covers the state or something, but there isn't. It's my understanding you have to get a business license in every city you play at.
Julls 7:07 PM - 24 April, 2006
I got mine from the State of FL Woody, the same place you get your tags and title for your car aka Tax Collector.
DjWoody 7:08 PM - 24 April, 2006
oh that's different here, cuz the place we get our tags is the DMV!!! hahaha that's all they do, Car Registrations, Tags, Drivers License, IDs! haha
ochoppin 8:40 PM - 24 April, 2006
Quote:
Here's mine...

It's made with Promoters in mind and it's based in real life experiences. I'm sure you'll relate to a lot of the fine print as I just tried to cover my ass.

djwoody.com

Man, you know there has to be a few stories behind the last paragraph in that contract. Right, Woody?
DJ Nick Lee 8:44 PM - 24 April, 2006
The following agreement is made between Nick Wilkerson/ DTM Productions Disc Jockey Service and
______________________________________________________ herein referred to as “Employer”.
1. DTM Prod. Disc Jockey Service agrees to provide __________________ service using our equipment.
*A. Date:___________________ *Time: From______________ am/pm to _________________am/pm.
B. Location:________________________________________________________ (Please provide map)
C. Set Up: 45 minutes prior to engagement. (Additional fee for early set up) ________________________
D. Indoors or Outdoors (circle one) Please provide one 8 ft. table. Please explain special circumstances. (i.e. stairs, stage, electrical considerations, etc.) _______________________________________________
** Please book all the time you need. If you do not, we have the option of making other commitments prior to or following your engagement. In the event that the Disc Jockey is requested to begin early, billing will commence at music start time.
2. Compensation: Employer agrees to pay Nick Wilkerson the sum of _________________________ for
_________________ hour/s, payable by a minimum deposit of _________________, with the balance due
________________(10 days prior to contracted date) Late Fee charge of ___________ will be added if
not paid in full by contracted date. We are reserving this time slot specifically for you. Payment for contracted time is due regardless of whether or not all time is utilized.
3. Additional time: Employer agrees to pay ________________ an hour for each hour over base time listed above, under compensation, or ___________________ for each ½ hour over base time to be paid in CASH prior to start of over base time. (Min. add. Time is ½ hour)
4. Cancellation: If Employer cancels by written notice 30 days prior to anticipated engagement, Employer shall not be held responsible for total due. Deposits paid are not rufundable.
5.Indemnity: Employer agrees to indemnify and hold Nick Wilkerson, DTM Prod. Disc Jockey Service/Employees harmless of any and all liability including providing legal defense and attorney’s fees, not caused by the fault of Disc Jockey.
6.Damage: Employer agrees to compensate Nick Wilkerson for any damage to Disc Jockey equipment which is not the fault of the Disc Jockey. (i.e. Guest out of control, faulty electrical conditions, etc.)
7. Termination of services: DTM Productions Disc Jockey Service/Employee reserves the right to terminate services at any time the job is deemed unworkable by the Disc Jockey. Controlling guests, power failure, etc... remain the Employer’s responsibility. Full payment is due in the event of a premature stop in which the Disc Jockey is not at fault.
8. Please return white copy of contract by________________________________ to avoid cancellation.
Employer
Address:___________________________

X___________________Date:_______________ X___________________Date:______________
Employer DTM Prod. Disc Jockey Service Nick Wilkerson

Here is mine and I only use it for weddings, school dances/ events and corporate functions. I basically just added to it over the years when things would go wrong or issues would come up. Having the part in there about the venue providing a table has been invaluable. It's nice to be able to drive my car to a really classy wedding instead of pulling my beat up pick up truck in front of the venue.
DjWoody 9:29 PM - 24 April, 2006
Quote:

Man, you know there has to be a few stories behind the last paragraph in that contract. Right, Woody?

Hahahahaha... You bet there is! That's why it's all based in my experiences.

Here it is....

------------------------------------------------------------------

Client shall contact the event facility in advance to confirm that the event venue meets or exceeds all the required city, county, state and federal permits; fire and safety codes; police, city and county regulations; and that the venue meets all the city, county, state, and federal applicable laws to host such event. It is the responsibility of the client to provide all of the proper security personnel, search staff (if needed), and to make sure that the event doesn’t violate any city, county, state, or federal laws. If any violations occur, the client will assume all responsibilities and shall pay for any citations that arise as a result of the event. If the event gets shut down early, the Client shall pay the entire agreed amount to WLM. This includes early termination due to LOUD MUSIC. If the police or fire department are called, including due to a loud music complaint, or if the police or fire department show up and asks the DJ to terminate the event, the event shall be stopped immediately and all remaining balances shall be paid at once. No further obligation shall exist. If the event is to move locations after the original event has been broken up or ended, an additional fee shall occur and be paid at once. However, WLM reserves the right to continue on with the event at a new location. If the event is to be moved to a new location, WLM is not required to provide its services. However, this will be at the discretion of the DJ on duty, and only after all appropriate fees are paid. If a citation is issued to the DJ, the Client shall be responsible for any fines and fees that shall arise as a result of. This contract releases WLM from any and all liability and responsibilities from the event. The client shall be responsible for paying for any equipment damage that occurs as a result of the event. This includes fights, liquids thrown at equipment, flying objects, rude guests, etc. In the rare case that the sound system and/or equipment (including records, music, computer, and/or other WLM property) gets confiscated, in part or in full, the client will be responsible for replacing the confiscated property immediately. The client shall make sure that peace be maintained through out the event.
Audio1 12:21 AM - 27 February, 2007
^reminds of when cholos used to go to jungle raves in la in the late 90's. Damn those were fun days of junglism!
dj_KaSE 5:58 AM - 29 June, 2007
Excellent thread!

You NEVER know when you'll be in a situation where you end up being fucked, no matter how nice the client seems.

I need to have a lawyer look over mine.

I'm not sure how other cities work, but here in L.A. I have a Tax Certificate that's good for L.A. and most surrounding cities, which is where I do most of my business anyway.

Last but not least, you gotta have insurance! I use the ADJA group insurance, FYI.

By the way, I have found that some clients were told before by other DJs that said DJs were "licensed." Clients assumed it meant that there is some sort of state department that grants licenses to DJs, but obviously does not exist. So I'm not sure what the hell these DJs were talking about when they claim to be licensed.

I get the feeling they try to make it seem like they're "licensed" and therefore have more credibility over DJs who are not "licensed," which is complete bullshit.
sixxx 6:03 AM - 29 June, 2007
They mean they have a business license.
djivanlopez.com 11:59 AM - 29 June, 2007
Business license +1
dj_KaSE 6:51 PM - 29 June, 2007
Coolio.
DJBlisk 7:56 PM - 29 June, 2007
coming from the Legal side of things.

These contracts sound all good, but you guys better understand that if shit happens that contract ain't gonna do shit if you don't go balls out and try to sue the motherfuckers. Hopefully, small claims court will cover your damages, but remember that actually getting your money is going to be like "passing a fucking stone".
DJ-A 8:38 PM - 29 June, 2007
Quote:
coming from the Legal side of things.

These contracts sound all good, but you guys better understand that if shit happens that contract ain't gonna do shit if you don't go balls out and try to sue the motherfuckers. Hopefully, small claims court will cover your damages, but remember that actually getting your money is going to be like "passing a fucking stone".

i got screwed 2 weekends ago... i had a contract signed for 5 hours, i they kept me for 3 extra hours. i said i would charge $100 per hour... after its all said and done she threw a fit saying that she only agreed to $100 total and she said i was trying to scam her...

i replied the amount she paid (that was in the contract) was more than $100 per hour, so how she could think i would charge 100 for 3 hours (30 per hr) was beyond me. i then expressed that my time is more valuable to me than staying at her house till after midnight for $30 per hr

so, with that said, what do you think if i took her to small claims court?
DJBlisk 9:02 PM - 29 June, 2007
Go ahead and do it A. She hasn't paid you anything yet right? go ahead and take her to small claims court. I'm serious about this. People talk big shit until they know that you're serious about it.

You have the contract for 5 hours so you're fine for that much. Just prove that you were there however long you were there.

Now as for the extra oral modification of contract for the extra 3 hours. Just argue that logicially you were there for an additional 3 hours on top of 5 and that you orally agreed with her. She sounds like a dumbass so she won't argue something called "parole evidence" (says that whatever is in the contract is what is agreed upon, nothing else). But I don't think she will.

My real advice? - Find a lawyer buddy and tell him to write you a letter and to give her a call. She'll pay faster than you can say, "give me my money bitch".
DJ-A 9:16 PM - 29 June, 2007
she has paid for the 5 hours
DJDLO 415 9:18 PM - 29 June, 2007
dam im gonna have to read this thread over and over again....im in the works of creating a contract of my own
dj cubicle 9:19 PM - 29 June, 2007
man, i need to get into (and out of) law school fast. screw djing, you guys are my cash cow!
DJ-A 9:20 PM - 29 June, 2007
Quote:
dam im gonna have to read this thread over and over again....im in the works of creating a contract of my own

be sure to include, if ______ (place for initials) is an ass hole at any time the all fees double, and are due immediately. failure to pay will result in legal action for the entire amount + 20% and all legal fees
DJ-A 9:22 PM - 29 June, 2007
^^ and DJ_____ is not responsible for loss theft or damaged items, even if as result in losing temper because of _______ or any other persons weither present or ont at the event
dj cubicle 9:24 PM - 29 June, 2007
blisk, is it parole evidence if it was discussed AFTER the contract was signed? i thought parole only dealt with he said / she said prior to agreement on the contract.
DJ-A 9:26 PM - 29 June, 2007
I did it for a company, she wasnt even on the contract, just the person who paid for it.

She was the person though who had wanted me to stay after and keep playing.
dj cubicle 9:30 PM - 29 June, 2007
^ that makes things a bit stickier.
DJ-A 9:33 PM - 29 June, 2007
the bitch even tried to get me to credit her credit card saying i charget too much, i wrote back and said, i dont even have your credit card number. dumb hoe.. <----that last part was not included on the e-mail
DJBlisk 9:33 PM - 29 June, 2007
Quote:
blisk, is it parole evidence if it was discussed AFTER the contract was signed? i thought parole only dealt with he said / she said prior to agreement on the contract.

The actual definition is "Evidence of prior or CONTEMPORANEOUS negotiations and agreements that contradict, modify, or vary contractual terms is inadmissble if the written contract is intended as a COMPLETE AND FINAL EXPRESSION of the parties."

That being said you're right Cubicle. It could also be argued that the extra 3 hours was a new orally agreed contract since the written contract with DJ-A was completed. He can argue detrimental reliance, prommisorry estoppel, and oral contracts are valid now becuase of the whole Kim Basinger (i think thats the one) case.

I only said she "might" stupidly try to argue it if she srews with the facts and said they agreed to everything before anything was signed. She sounds like a jackass.

How much shit are you willing to do for $300 DJ-A. Thats the real question.

P.S. - Take my advice with a grain of salt. Lawyers can argue facts and the law for fucking days.... I don't mean to make it more complicate than it should be.

She owes you $300 bucks. take her to small claims and explain yourself fully and clearly. You'll be fine. How much are court fees? you may wanna think about that also.
DJBlisk 9:34 PM - 29 June, 2007
I meant to say "you're mostly right Cubicle"
DJ-A 9:36 PM - 29 June, 2007
i'm just pissed... she called the company after the last e-mail and said i was harassing her and making degrading comments... i'll post the e-mails so ya'll can see what a bitch she is
dj_KaSE 4:26 AM - 30 June, 2007
You should change your DJ name to DJ Slap-A-Hoe, and make good use of it.

But on a serious note, I feel for ya bro. Hopefully things work out.
DJ-A 4:56 AM - 2 July, 2007
Quote:
You should change your DJ name to DJ Slap-A-Hoe, and make good use of it.

But on a serious note, I feel for ya bro. Hopefully things work out.

i think i'm going to drop it... i dont feel like seeing or talking to her ever again
MusicMeister 2:39 PM - 2 July, 2007
I have a great contract that's 3 pages long. I'm working on adding a few things to it and I'm going to have a lawyer look it over when I'm done. Why? Because I don't want there to be any doubt about the fact I'm serious.

My clients understand I'm serious about my business when they see the contract. It is very clear about power requirements, space, fees, start/stop times, and more. I try to not leave a lot to doubt when they hire me as to what they have to pay.
Deejaysk 4:44 AM - 12 November, 2007
I just want to thank to everyone here sharing valuable knowledge. You guys are the best.
latindj 5:50 PM - 12 November, 2007
don't forget to bring a copy of the contract to each gig...if they want extra time, have them initial the change. saved my butt a few times...(drunk fuckers never remember agreeing to anything the night before)
DJ Panik 1:31 AM - 16 August, 2013
I know I'm coming in with my post damn near 6 years after the last one, lost my contract format recently so I had to see if there was anything pertaining to contracts on this site, and wanted to big up Julls for an outstanding, yet simple to understand, contract layout for me to copy! Thanks for posting that 7 years ago! It's very helpful to me at this present time.
Dj G cue 5:26 PM - 1 October, 2013
Here you go guys. There's tons of them here:

www.docstoc.com

Believe me, these things come in handy. I was going to do a gig for a friend of mine for $350, my friend calls me later and tells me if I can lower the price because she got a band and I was going to be playing less. I told him that I was already giving him a "friend" price and is not about the total hours you play, is the fact that you have to be at the event from start to finish. to make a long story short, he canceled me 5 days before the event, I didn't get a deposit because we were "friends" and I lost out on a gig for the same day. Lesson learned, from now on i have contracts and I pick up 1/2 of the fees in advance. If they cancel on me, within a timely manner, i return some of their deposit. if not, i keep the deposit.
XCAKID 5:22 PM - 2 October, 2013
Quote:
Who here uses them? Who made it for you?

I was pretty much forced into making one after some issues came up from a gig. I made it my self, it's pretty good compared to others, but I ain't no lawyer... NOT YET! ;) I'll upload it later. Do you guys find them useful? I rarely use it to be honest.

I use em when dealing with promoters. And all my mobile gigs. Had a lawyer friend draw em up for me a few years back.

Most of my gigs I get booked, I have an email trail or FB message trail that shows, time, dates, address, venue name and price. So I would use that if there ever was a dispute.
GG-D-ROCK 3:27 PM - 7 July, 2014
is your contract still binding without a business license?
lvmez 12:31 AM - 3 March, 2015
Does anyone have a recent contract that has been effective?
Dj Russian 4:50 PM - 19 August, 2015
is there any template for a house dj? just in case any desperate and cheap djs comes and wants to under your price just for them to have the name house dj.
DJ Matty Stiles 5:26 PM - 19 August, 2015
I'm at law school doing my masters. Contracts are useful to cover your ass if you think such a risk exists.
THE DJ DLO 8:38 AM - 12 September, 2017
I need the advice of my fellow djs.

Scenario.

A wedding planner hired me to DJ a wedding social (a fundraiser the couple holds prior to the wedding).

The wedding planner pays me $200 deposit.

The wedding planner is uncovered as a scammer.

In addition, I come to find out that a DJ colleague was supposed to be doing this social. So I gave it to him.

Couple wants the $200 deposit back.

What do I do? Personally I don't think I give back the deposit because:

A: I committed to the date of the social and turned down other potential gigs.

B: I feel the wedding planner should be the one paying the couple back the $200 deposit, not me.

What's your advice?

Sincerely a dude caught in the crossfire
Logisticalstyles 1:20 PM - 12 September, 2017
Quote:
I feel the wedding planner should be the one paying the couple back the $200 deposit, not me.

If the couple paid the wedding planner then I would think they need to get the money back from the planner. Did you have a contract with the couple? Why did you give the $200 to the other DJ? You should always have a contract with the person you are doing business with.
DJTOMinHouston 5:47 AM - 5 December, 2017
I had a long time client this week after 12 years of DJ services provided to them decide they have issues with the damage waiver in my contract that protects me if they or their guests damage my equipment. They are asking me to admit this for a Middle school dance. I told them no and that the issue was a deal breaker because the clauses are standard in DJ contracts. They claimed that the schools attorney had never heard of such a thing in a DJ contract. All this comes after they requested I submit a standard liability contract for their protection. LOL, I am really thinking that they have began to over scrutinize my contract.
DJTOMinHouston 5:49 AM - 5 December, 2017
Correction they are asking me to Omit this from the contract. I told them No,
AddamXavier 4:29 AM - 6 December, 2017
Should have omitted it, but then add the price of all your equipment into the price so they know why you have that part in there. :P
dj j bras 3:44 PM - 24 January, 2018
I know this is an older thread and mainly about contracts, but I wanted to add some information regarding music licensing. ASCAP just told me on the phone, even as a mobile DJ, it is up to the host to obtain the music license and they wouldn't even sell me a license since I'm a mobile DJ. I asked the rep if I needed to include any language in my contact to make sure the person hiring me is aware of this and they said "no". They told me this is basic copyright law and I would not be held accountable.
charlee1985 8:10 AM - 30 July, 2018
Quote:
I had a long time client this week after 12 years of DJ services provided to them decide they have issues with the damage waiver in my contract that protects me if they or their guests damage my equipment. They are asking me to admit this for a Middle school dance. I told them no and that the issue was a deal breaker because the clauses are standard in DJ contracts. They claimed that the schools attorney had never heard of such a thing in a DJ contract. All this comes after they requested I submit a standard liability contract for their protection. LOL, I am really thinking that they have began to over scrutinize my contract.

I had the same with a school dance. Their legal department told them to remove it as any damages should be covered by the insurance that I have
DJ_Dad 3:33 PM - 30 July, 2018
Typically it is on the DJ to provide liability insurance (at a minimum) and also to provide their own equipment issuance if they wish to have their equipment protected. This is my understanding. I would love to hear other opinions.
turst9 4:02 AM - 25 October, 2018
I am a DJ in Trinidad and Tobago and licensed with the Copyright Organisation of T&T COTT. the current license fee as at Jan 2018 is $1,800.00 ttd or approx $265.55 usd.
earthlingsoft 1:17 AM - 16 January, 2019
There are several services and templates out there, though it's always best to have one drafted by an attorney. Can be much cheaper than you'd think. I'd try places like UpWork for that (believe it or not).
earthlingsoft 1:20 AM - 16 January, 2019
Ah, some good starter templates already included above. One more that's on the simple (and easy to read side) from Docsketch: www.docsketch.com
DjKubo 11:49 PM - 13 February, 2019
I just thought about this one,

The dj booth/area is not a locker room or a cellphone charging facility. If guests decide to leave personal belongings near the dj booth, the dj will not be responsible for any missing items or damages to the guests property (ex. cellphone damages, missing chargers, liquid spills, miss placed purses, cameras, jackets, coats.)
HEHE