DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Who is on the fence about the 57?

DJ Yaz 9:45 PM - 22 April, 2006
I am strongly considering getting one but I have reservations. Who else feels me... why?

For me obviously the money is a big issue, but if I really want it I can make that happen. I'm just wondering if it's really going to help me perform better.

Anyone have thoughts?
Thundercat 9:54 PM - 22 April, 2006
I am on the proverbial fence. Yes I want one, but I want more. I have been sitting on my hands about a new mixer purchase but nobody makes one with all of the features I want. And making that decision is just too hard. Give me a cross between the 57SL, Xone 92 & DN-X1500 please. Thank you. All of them have some of the features I want, but none of them have all of the features I want. So I continue to wait...
wakka 9:56 PM - 22 April, 2006
I was on the fence at one point. I was thinking of getting the Pioneer DJM-909, yeah that effects mixer, and i wanted to just hook it up the SSL. But then i thought instead I should just get the 57 and a good effects processor like Kaos or the Pioneer FX1000. That way, I'll have more control over both SSL, and the FX.

Not to mention the effects they added onto the SSL platform that you can control on the laptop of your choice rather than controlling it through a small yellow screen of the DJM-909.

I'd still probably be on the fence if it wasn't for that 57 video demonstration. That just blew me away
DJ Yaz 10:12 PM - 22 April, 2006
Thundercat I feel you. I wish I had the money to buy many mixers and use them each a little bit, depending on the task at hand. It is harder these days I think to pick a mixer. The features are expanding so much and in really varied directions. Firewire, Midi, SSL, effects, footswitch, digital I/O... and the list goes on.

It would be cool if mixers where more modular so you could add what you wanted. Like Legos. :)

Wakka, I know what you mean about the video. That was sick! I was really not that interested until I watched that.

The video demonstrates lots of features that are cool, but more important than being cool I think they will contribute to a better performance. I'm concerned I almost have to buy one because these mixers will be like an unfair advantage. :)

Before I just thought about them as a solution to a minor wiring hassle. They are much more than that.

One big concern I have is that mixers have traditionally held their value well over many years. I don't think the 57 will. Other companies (Rane included) are not going to sit on their hands. Other mixers will come out and make this one obsolete well before it has worn out. That's what bugs me about the price, the $1500 is steep, but it's even steeper when you think about that it might be worth $400 in a year. It's a risky way to throw cash around. That's my feeling anyway...
mexicannnnnn 10:27 PM - 22 April, 2006
I dont think its going to hit $400 an time soon.. it might hit $1000US in a year or 2 but probably not.
DJ MDX 10:52 PM - 22 April, 2006
The TTM 56 and the MP2016 are 2 mixers from Rane that have always held great value year after year of purchase since they came out.

I kind of broke it down to one of my members like this:

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ MDX
Let me see if I can put the price comparison more into perspective so we can see that it really is not that much of a price difference.

I am going to use MAP prices for everything...but know you can get everything at a better price....just do your shopping and you will see.... ;)

Ok here we go:

1. TTM 56 = $749
2. SSL = $539
3. TTM 57 = $1449
4. SSL + TTM 56 = $1288
5. Price Difference = $161

So the bottom line price difference is $161.

Now lets think about what you are getting for that extra $161.

1. An all in one solution.
2. Effects
3. Foot Switch Control
4. User Programable
5. Control from the mixer
6. Free Updates & Effects
7. Sound Card
8. Recording Ability
9. Real Support from a proven OEM

I am sure there are more "Pro's" I could mention but I think you get the point with what I have listed so far..... ;)

I guess the way I look at it is...there are so many satisfied customers of both products (TTM 56 & SSL) and both products have been proven to be on top of their game and pretty much unbeatable.

So with that said the combo of TTM 56 & SSL merged into the TTM 57 along with real extra's that can be used for our applications in my book is the next logical step.

I have been wanting a TTM 56 for so long but never bought one because it did not give me the ability to use the thru's with line level devices because of the lack of all four inputs to be used at line level...now the TTM 57 makes that a thing of the past....I can't wait until this mixer hits the streets and claims its rightfull place next to all the other proven, reliable, and sought after tools us DJ's depend on gig after gig to give us the ability to showcase our talents with out fear of embarrassment from it taking a big crap on us.....like so many out there today.

Sorry so long...peace....gotta run.
DJ Yaz 11:11 PM - 22 April, 2006
I hear you, I don't think it's a bad value. But I already bought SSL and I have a great mixer. So that's a hurdle for me. I know it's a great mixer, and I'm not really that into hearing people talk about how great it is and how I should buy it. I want to hear from the people struggling with the decision a little. What are their thoughts I wonder?
DJ Yaz 11:27 PM - 22 April, 2006
Quote:
I dont think its going to hit $400 an time soon.. it might hit $1000US in a year or 2 but probably not.

I promise you that you will be able to pick up 57's for less that 1K within a year of it coming out. $400 is wild, but it's possible? Technology changes quick, we are tied into Moore's law now ( www.intel.com )
in DJ'ing. Now that DJ'ing is directly linked to improvements in computer technology things are going to change fast. A year from now things will change. I'm not saying I'm not buying a 57, I might? I'm just saying I'm struggling with it because the DJ and mixer world is about to change fast. These other companies are not going to sit on their ass and watch rane sell $1500 mixers faster than they can make them all day long and not respond. They are gonna come back strong with new ideas and equipment. You are talking about smart people who feed their families with the money they make off DJ equipment.

I think a lot of people think the 57 is going to be the tech 1200 of mixers. It won't, it will be very big for awhile and I will probably own one and love it... but Vestax, Pioneer, Mackie, Stanton, Allen & Heath, Etc aren't going to just do nothing. They may be slow to it but this mixer is going to change things, this is just the beginning. Before the 57 Rane had a neat little product that didn't hurt anyone's mixer sales. Now they are using SSL to reassert their dominance in the mixer market. It's very smart of them, and I applaud their work... but in a way I'm kinda pumped to see how everyone else responds.

The moral of the story is I think you can expect to be buying a new $1500 mixer every 18 months from now on if you want to stay on top of the new technology. I just don't know if I want to start down that path??? Maybe what I have is good enough? Maybe not I don't know??? I'm just thinking out loud... (bad habit)
Thundercat 12:01 AM - 23 April, 2006
I'm just waiting for someone to come and say that they are making this: scratchlive.net . This would be the next logical step, right?
mexicannnnnn 12:07 AM - 23 April, 2006
Yaz you make some good points. I'm going bring you back to this thread 1 year after the TTM57 hits the streets as I don't think its going to hit the $999US mark in 1 year.
DJ Yaz 12:09 AM - 23 April, 2006
right. See what I mean. Duel computers or multiple monitor support. That is sick! So I take it back, next year be ready to drop $3K on your next mixer, and another 2K for a second laptop. This is a slippery slope people :)
mexicannnnnn 12:11 AM - 23 April, 2006
..but I do agree about other companies pumping out the newest gear ready to hold a chunk of the mixer market.
DJ Yaz 12:11 AM - 23 April, 2006
Quote:
Yaz you make some good points. I'm going bring you back to this thread 1 year after the TTM57 hits the streets as I don't think its going to hit the $999US mark in 1 year.

I look forward to it :)
DJ Xplisit 12:28 AM - 23 April, 2006
Quote:
I was on the fence at one point. I was thinking of getting the Pioneer DJM-909, yeah that effects mixer, and i wanted to just hook it up the SSL. But then i thought instead I should just get the 57 and a good effects processor like Kaos or the Pioneer FX1000. That way, I'll have more control over both SSL, and the FX.

Not to mention the effects they added onto the SSL platform that you can control on the laptop of your choice rather than controlling it through a small yellow screen of the DJM-909.

I'd still probably be on the fence if it wasn't for that 57 video demonstration. That just blew me away

Yo Wakka, I was talking to DMC DJ, DJ Grouch, and he told me that the Pioneer DJM 909 is pretty good. If you use it for scratching or turntableism though, get the TTM-57. Grouch told me that he used the DJM 909, but he said that the fader wore off (leaked, bleeded) after a while. So in comparison to the TTM-57, you're getting a way better fader. I dont know how much you use effects though. So that could be a factor in which mixer you end up getting.
Peace
mister iLL 4:42 AM - 23 April, 2006
i will DEFINITELY put a large sum of money up on the fact that the price of the ttm 57 will NOT budge by even $1 in only a years' time...why would there be any reason for it to get cheaper? a year is not a long time. and they're already sold out for a number of months.
vidoona 11:00 PM - 23 April, 2006
I was on the fence, but am leaning towards not getting it now just because the added functionality will most likely be Midi controllable soon allowing you other options more customized to your needs (and less expensive). The time saving aspect is a significant argument for the 57 though.
mister iLL 11:35 PM - 23 April, 2006
mentally i was on the fence...i love the ttm 57 without even having seen or touched one. but as they say: no romance without finance! i bought a 56 instead.
DJ Yaz 12:38 AM - 24 April, 2006
Mexicannn and I have a gentlemen's bet on it and I'm sure who ever wins next year will inform everyone of their victory. Only time will tell.

Just imagine, Pioneer licenses FS from stanton and build's it into the DJM 909 and sells it for $899? What if Vestax licenses it or what if SSL decides to license their porduct? The only thing constant is change.
nik39 9:28 AM - 24 April, 2006
Quote:

Same here.

You cant use Moores law here, if you check how the prices changed for the TTM56 since it came out on the market, then you would see that it has a pretty stable price.
DJMark 10:05 AM - 24 April, 2006
I'd be much happier if they built it (SSL) into an MP-44 and made a rotary-fader version. Maybe sometime soon.
DJVigor 9:54 PM - 24 April, 2006
i Am Thinking Really hard on what to do

The 57

Or

56 with ssl
MusicMeister 10:58 PM - 24 April, 2006
Here's the only thing you have to be concerned with with regards to <mixer>+SSL or TTM57.

If you buy the 57 you're stuck with that mixer.

If you buy <mixer> and SSL you have an extra box but you can swap out the mixer and upgrade. You can't upgrade the mixer with the TTM57.

That's the only real difference.... If you already own an SSL box and just want to upgrade to the 57 you have fewer issues as if you decide to move to the Pioneer 909, Mackie d2, or other mixer in the future.

Personally, I'm thinking of saving the space and going with the 57... it's a real sweet mixer.
Dj Ace 4:41 AM - 25 April, 2006
On the fence...I over the gate sitting on a couch wit a calendar!!!
Spelunk 5:14 AM - 25 April, 2006
Quote:
On the fence...I over the gate sitting on a couch wit a calendar!!!

Word. And the price of the 57 is going to stay high for a long time. Just look at the TTM-56, it's still kickin' it at $650.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see 57's going for $2000 on eBay once people recieve them.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 11:48 PM - 25 April, 2006
if someone donated to me $1500, i would gladly jump of the fence, head first :)
djdsk 4:41 AM - 6 May, 2006
I am on the fence , at the moment i am thinking sell my tt56 sell my ssl and sell my Korg kaos pad2 and then i dont have to add too much . Problem is everytime i buy something i tell myself after i get this thats it i need nothing else , but it never stops .

At the moment tt57 seems like perfect package with everything for me .
romerom 3:24 PM - 6 May, 2006
hey guys you are completely forgetting the added benefit of EXTRA CHANNELS for line or phono.

its still fits the battle mixer form factor.. only with the ssl box, you need to take up those extra two inputs for the serato hookups. with this, the serato hookups are all internal so you get 4 stereo rca jacks you could use for 2 phono, 2 cd players or whatever combo you can make it.. and the jacks aren't dedicated to phono or line.. they have a dipswitch to the right of them that you can set to line or phono.. that for me was the whole reason of going to ttm57sl. I was looking for a battle mixer that had extra inputs in case i wanted to add cd players.

my current mixer is the vestax pmc 05 pro III and I use the external fx loop with a kaoss pad. so the fx loop was another requirement I had for a future mixer and with the ttm57sl, we have the flex-fx loop so BAM.

so really, its the best battle mixer on the market (ttm56 faders), it gives you the extra two stereo analog inputs.. it gives you control of the software right from the mixer and also has a footswitch capability.. also liked that it has three sets of outputs (main/booth/aux) so I can hook it up to my mains, or silence that and have it go to my monitors WHATEVER.. its just really flexible man! oh plus you can record your mixes and the mixer is supposed to act as an ASIO sound card.. damn!
romerom 3:30 PM - 6 May, 2006
Quote:
Same here.

You cant use Moores law here, if you check how the prices changed for the TTM56 since it came out on the market, then you would see that it has a pretty stable price.

well nik, since you like to call people out so often.. i'll call you out for not knowing what moores law is.

moores law has nothing to do with price. and i quote...

The observation made in 1965 by Gordon Moore, co-founder of Intel, that the number of transistors per square inch on integrated circuits had doubled every year since the integrated circuit was invented. Moore predicted that this trend would continue for the foreseeable future. In subsequent years, the pace slowed down a bit, but data density has doubled approximately every 18 months, and this is the current definition of Moore's Law, which Moore himself has blessed. Most experts, including Moore himself, expect Moore's Law to hold for at least another two decades.

lol playin nik's game!
nik39 4:05 PM - 6 May, 2006
I know moores law. You can also tranfer this to the prices, as prices are connected to how much power computers have. If you know the market, you also know that for an up to date PC you're gonna pay the half after 18months. Thats what I am referring to.
romerom 6:13 PM - 6 May, 2006
lol i just realized that you called out djyaz for usin moore law incorrectly !! DOH!! my bad i surrender!!
vidoona 8:24 PM - 6 May, 2006
Quote:
lol i just realized that you called out djyaz for usin moore law incorrectly !! DOH!! my bad i surrender!!

well at least you aren't stubborn lol
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 11:43 PM - 6 May, 2006
I expect it to hold value as we will adding a lot of new functionality as time goes on (just like the SL 1)
mexicannnnnn 4:54 PM - 7 May, 2006
Sam can you make sure the prices stay above $1000US for at least 1 year so I can win the bet me and Yaz has going on. ;-)
DJ Yaz 5:25 AM - 8 May, 2006
Romerom, thanks for catching my back. It's all good though. I'm not really trying to argue with Nik or anyone else. I only want to provoke interesting conversation... and at the end of the day Nik and everyone else are entitled to their opinions.

Sam, thanks for the info. ...and Mexicannnn that's cheating!! :)
mexicannnnnn 5:29 AM - 8 May, 2006
Okay okay... I was going to tell Sam that i'll split half of the winnings, but I remembered half of zero is zero. :-)
grrillatactics 3:10 PM - 26 May, 2006
This thread trips me out, b/c Yaz is now a huge 57 supporter...

Looks like he loses the bet by default, and in less than 2 months, too.

:-)
mexicannnnnn 4:12 PM - 26 May, 2006
Quote:

Nah, we have to go the full year. I'm sure he is right about competition coming out with stuff soon, but I doubt the mixer is going to hit $1K in a year.
nik39 4:13 PM - 26 May, 2006
You guys are talking about MAP I assume? Aynthing else wouldnt be fair.
mexicannnnnn 4:18 PM - 26 May, 2006
Quote:
You guys are talking about MAP I assume? Aynthing else wouldnt be fair.

Yes.
nik39 4:19 PM - 26 May, 2006
Hm.. what are the bet rates? I am with mex :-D
mexicannnnnn 4:24 PM - 26 May, 2006
Quote:
Hm.. what are the bet rates? I am with mex :-D

Just the pride of being right. ;-)
concorde_pilot 4:41 PM - 26 May, 2006
i want a ttm57 very hard and i´ll do everything to get one... :D
the ttm57 is nearly my dream mixer... they should fix some things and add a few features (aux cue ,...) and then... :))
nik39 4:45 PM - 26 May, 2006
Well, offer some good money to one of the owners :-D
concorde_pilot 4:48 PM - 26 May, 2006
i´ll wait until its awailible here in germany.. don´t even have the money yet..
DJ Yaz 2:12 AM - 4 June, 2006
Wait who said anything about MAP? :-)

I say street price. MAPs never change. It's the street price that floats around. I will negotiate for the best price I can get that day and see what I can get. :-) No dirty tricks I promise, I won't try to group it with a 10K order or anything.

Quote:

Grillatactics... Come on man, read the thread more carefully. Mexicannnn is right that we have to wait one year.

and also...

Quote:
I'm not saying I'm not buying a 57, I might? I'm just saying I'm struggling with it...
mexicannnnnn 3:04 AM - 4 June, 2006
Hmm.. street price might be doable at $1000 in a year... if some venders were selling pre-orders for $1250 then a move of $250 wont be that much in 1 year.

Lets keep waiting.
DJ Yaz 3:21 AM - 4 June, 2006
yeah we'll wait... I think we have an interesting bet going. :)
mexicannnnnn 3:33 AM - 4 June, 2006
How about the loser has to buy the winner a Rane T-Shirt? ;-)
Idlemind1999 6:06 PM - 4 June, 2006
If i could find one.. I'd buy a few... Any one know where I can get one?
mexicannnnnn 6:12 PM - 4 June, 2006
Quote:
If i could find one.. I'd buy a few... Any one know where I can get one?

A ttm57 or a t-shirt?
Idlemind1999 6:29 PM - 4 June, 2006
T-Shirt
mexicannnnnn 6:47 PM - 4 June, 2006
Quote:
T-Shirt

rane.com

Check the bottom of that page. :-)
DJ Yaz 7:25 PM - 4 June, 2006
I liked the idea of a gentlemen's bet but if you would like to buy me a Rane T-shirt to signify your public humiliation I would accept. LOL :-) JK
mexicannnnnn 7:30 PM - 4 June, 2006
Quote:
I liked the idea of a gentlemen's bet but if you would like to buy me a Rane T-shirt to signify your public humiliation I would accept. LOL :-) JK

I already have 2 serato shirts... I could always send you one of those if I loose, but if I win I want that "My mixer beats your mixer" one. ;-)
mexicannnnnn 7:31 PM - 4 June, 2006
I have a new one in a girls small (which is the one I would send ;-))... I gave it to my girl but she never wears it so its brand new.
DJ Yaz 11:35 PM - 4 June, 2006
What!?! ...your giving me a girls tiny T-shirt that's used?!? Haha.

Let's just leave it as a gentlemens bet.
mexicannnnnn 1:10 AM - 5 June, 2006
Unused... but yes a tiny girls t-shirt ;-)
DJ Yaz 4:24 AM - 5 June, 2006
I'm 6'1" 220 man. Tell you what, who ever looses has to take a picture with the shirt on and post it.
SpinThis! 4:54 AM - 5 June, 2006
hahaha... * thinks of the "girls" in the The Longest Yard*

Sounds like a bet to me...
mexicannnnnn 5:07 AM - 5 June, 2006
Quote:
I'm 6'1" 220 man. Tell you what, who ever looses has to take a picture with the shirt on and post it.

5' 11"
156 lbs

I'm getting my bodyfat down right now which is why i weight so little but I'm sure by the time the bet is over i'll be around 180-190lbs and the shirt would have a hard time fitting over either of us ;-)
DJ Yaz 2:09 AM - 6 February, 2007
Quote:

The day approaches.
mexicannnnnn 2:49 AM - 6 February, 2007
lol!
DJ Yaz 5:01 AM - 14 February, 2007
Tunetyme 8:46 AM - 15 February, 2007
Just got this...$1450 out the door.
And that was my discounted price.
I usually get stuff just a hair about cost..if that.
This item is currently locked in at 1450 at GC.
Which means my guy can't change the price regardless of his position.
DJDLO 415 8:55 AM - 15 February, 2007
which one did you go to, van ness? all my homies work there and i never even though of getting the 57 over the 56 b/c of that price lol
treeo730 7:06 PM - 18 February, 2007
Yeah GC did put a lock on all their merchandise. But I got mines before the lock!!!!! needless to say I got mines at a super pimpy price. Sorry Yoda asked me not to reveal.

As far as value it'll stick, both rane and serato don't budge. The mixer can be upgraded via the software. Yes the hardware wont change but for what it is intended i say intended loosley the hip hop dj... loosely people. Rane has the rotary mixer for the house dj's....Loosely people so don't yell at me. i mix house more than hip hop these days.

Now serato, just look at pitch'n'time. That pluggin has had the same price for sooo long, and they just released a LE version to help with the price.

So no the price won't drop....Plus no other company can intergrate Serato...
dj disturbed 7:49 PM - 18 February, 2007
Im on the fence too about this... right now i have a 909... i lub my 909 great f-ing mixer... but with the video soon comming to SSL and seeingthe vid of the 57 contolling the video mixing while you are audio mixing made me start leaning to getting a 57. But I do like the FX on the 909... easiest FX unit i have ever used... and the x-fader controll.. curves and the feeling of it are awsome! I know i can sellsome of my equiptment i dont use and get a 57... but i still dont know if i wanna give up the 909
ICYBLUE1203 10:23 PM - 21 February, 2007
I just picked one up this Moday for the Presidents Day Sale at Guitar Center. I got it for pretty cheap as Tunetyme mentioned. I am just starting out, but deciding if I should invest time and money into a hobby that might not take me anywhere. I got the 2 year warranty along with it, but if I end up keeping it, is it worth having?
mexicannnnnn 3:14 AM - 22 February, 2007
2 year warrenty!! lol! Rane gear comes with a 3 year warrenty direct from Rane... and they have the greatest service!
ICYBLUE1203 4:31 AM - 22 February, 2007
really? wow, i didnt know that. in that case i should return the warranty if i decide to keep it.

my last semester in college sure makes your decisions much harder...
D-Twizzle 5:00 AM - 22 February, 2007
how much more did they charge you for the warranty?
boabmatic 9:49 AM - 22 February, 2007
I think you have to send off the registration card thats in the box to get the 3 yrs warranty.
Thundercat 12:22 PM - 22 February, 2007
They allow you to register online
ICYBLUE1203 3:10 AM - 23 February, 2007
yeah, i went on the website and its 3 for rane when you register. guitar center charged 170 for two years on top of the supposed 1 year rane warranty. i assume they think its one year, or atleast the employees did. if i keep the mixer, im going to get a refund on the warranty.
dj disturbed 4:01 AM - 23 February, 2007
I have always gone by the advice to NEVER buy an extended warranty from retail stores... they are worthless when you can get some credit cards that give you up to 2 years extra warranty on top of the one that come with the product you buy with the card for free.
Plus b/c electronic have become more reliable... you genraly will not have an issue b4 the extended waranty runs out (you are more likely to have one while the regular warranty is still in effect). This advice is comming from the "Clark Howard" talk show on the radio... for anyone who ever listens to him... he knows what he is talking about!!
SpinThis! 3:20 PM - 23 February, 2007
^^ what disturbed said.

The only time I ever bought an extended warranty was on car subs at Best Buy. I ended up "cashing in on it" to get new speakers for free twice—well worth the small price I actually paid for the warranty.
ICYBLUE1203 3:53 PM - 23 February, 2007
yeah, it depends on the item.
LightFighter 9:05 PM - 26 February, 2007
GC warranty is a ripoff!! since you can't just take it in and get a new one on the same day if its more than 30 days old. Which is crap you have to send it into rane, Pfffft which is not going to help you if your giggin, My homeowners covers any of my electronics with no deductible for 16 more dollars a year up to 10,000... do the math
DJ Yaz 4:28 AM - 12 March, 2007
I agree, I purchased the warranty on two different headphones that died within a year and I got nothing. GC ext warrantee is bullshit.
latindj 10:43 PM - 21 March, 2007
A year is almost up....just got mine for 1200.00 and GC still won't budge for less than 1450.00...Sorry Yaz but I'd start sweatin' if I were you! :)
mexicannnnnn 11:56 PM - 29 May, 2007
Oh Yaz, I forgot to say "I Won!".
I am Bounce 8:30 PM - 2 June, 2007
Hmm, I don't know what you guys are talking about...I got mine for a little under $1200 @ GC -- make sure your guys aren't playing you
nate_nasty 6:29 PM - 6 June, 2007
Just got mine for $1289 out the door at GC. They price matched another quote I got.
vidoona 10:22 PM - 6 June, 2007
$1,166 out the door at GC right now.
Deejay Z 6:22 PM - 8 June, 2007
ya that is the price i got at GC yesterday.....I have the DJM-600 and a SL1......What Should I Do....It seems that your gonna need the 57 for Video....Correct?
vidoona 1:49 AM - 11 June, 2007
Well, you don't need it. Any mixer with a midi crossfader is gonna be able to do the trick.
DJ Yaz 2:29 AM - 19 June, 2007
Quote:
Oh Yaz, I forgot to say "I Won!".

You did, congrats.
Deejay Z 10:29 PM - 19 June, 2007
Quote:
$1,166 out the door at GC right now.

Just got the same price from GC....I jumped the fence and picked it up.....Now if only i had time to play with it :-/
Kidkotch 11:08 PM - 20 June, 2007
Can you guys help us out and let us know where and how you got those prices from GC. I'm getting quoted $1449 out here in CA. I'd love to buy one now but being that I already have Serato that's a bit steep. Any help is appreciated....JC
vidoona 4:11 AM - 21 June, 2007
GC Chicago, $1100 plus 6% tax. I don't know what their deal is now because I sent my buddy there with that info and they quoted him $1200 + 6% tax and claimed that they never sold to me for my price and that it wouldn't even cover cost. AGI Pro DJ practically called me a liar when I tried to get them to match cost because they claimed to know the chicago manager and that there was no way I got that quote. Well AGI Pro DJ, I did get that price and it's in my house. Needless to say, after years of purchasing from them, I won't do it again. I used to be a huge fan, but you don't call your customers liars.
Deejay Z 5:35 AM - 21 June, 2007
I got it at the GC in Highland Park, IL for 1100 plus tax
AdamJay 6:57 AM - 21 June, 2007
i just pushed 2 more DJs over the fence towards the 57... set up a nice little "clinic" of sorts at the club, syncing my Macbook Pro's screen mirrored to our 42" LCD TV showing the hardware panel...

another thing that helped get some folks off the fence, how truley lightweight the mixer is compared to others on the market ( ::cough:: DJM-909 ).
dj disturbed 7:17 AM - 21 June, 2007
Quote:
Well, you don't need it. Any mixer with a midi crossfader is gonna be able to do the trick.

not at first.... to do video when it first comes out you will need the 57.... but once they get it working with the SL1 box then the the midi mixer will work.
Kidkotch 3:59 PM - 21 June, 2007
Vidoona: Seems like you could shut them up pretty quick if you produced your receipt.

Thanks for the input guys. I actually called the Highland Park one yesterday and they said no way could they do even $1200. Lucky me.....still lusting after a 57!

On this note I think they really should offer an upgrade path for those of us that already have the Software with the SL1.
vidoona 5:26 PM - 21 June, 2007
Quote:
Vidoona: Seems like you could shut them up pretty quick if you produced your receipt.

The AGI Pro DJ guys are good people, but it only takes one bad experience like mine to turn me off to shopping their. I don't need to go through the effort to prove them wrong - I got the mixer anyway, so I'm not worried about it.

I should specify that I actually got it from highland park as well - I just said Chicago because people recognize it. I went in and put my cards on the table; I told them I saw what other guys were getting on the SSL forum and produced an Ebay auction to get another new 57 at the same price and said they could have my business or Ebay could. I guess they decided lower profit was better than no profit.
lvmez 9:21 PM - 11 July, 2007
i'm on the fence only because fellow dj's are saying it's more versitle to have serato seperate. i agree to a degree but i like the features of the 57. i'm in the middle of trying to sell my empath and that happens i might just go and get the 57.
AdamJay 10:45 PM - 11 July, 2007
more versatile to have the SL1 seperate... sure.

but its M-O-S-T versatile to have the 57sl, and an SL1 as backup (if you can afford it)
lvmez 12:31 AM - 13 July, 2007
lol. true. i think if i sell my empath i'm going to sell my serato soon after to be able to buy the 57.
2FAST4U 3:55 PM - 13 July, 2007
if you need to record your mix as seperate player one and player 2 mixes in the studio to edit later im not sure you can do that with the 57.
Stuart Ramdeen 10:16 PM - 13 July, 2007
Quote:
if you need to record your mix as seperate player one and player 2 mixes in the studio to edit later im not sure you can do that with the 57.

It's a much-requested feature that will come to the 57 one day (soon, hopefully!)
DJ Yaz 8:05 PM - 14 April, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

I promise you that you will be able to pick up 57's for less that 1K within a year of it coming out. $400 is wild, but it's possible? Technology changes quick, we are tied into Moore's law now ( www.intel.com )
in DJ'ing. Now that DJ'ing is directly linked to improvements in computer technology things are going to change fast. A year from now things will change. I'm not saying I'm not buying a 57, I might? I'm just saying I'm struggling with it because the DJ and mixer world is about to change fast. These other companies are not going to sit on their ass and watch rane sell $1500 mixers faster than they can make them all day long and not respond. They are gonna come back strong with new ideas and equipment. You are talking about smart people who feed their families with the money they make off DJ equipment.

I think a lot of people think the 57 is going to be the tech 1200 of mixers. It won't, it will be very big for awhile and I will probably own one and love it... but Vestax, Pioneer, Mackie, Stanton, Allen & Heath, Etc aren't going to just do nothing. They may be slow to it but this mixer is going to change things, this is just the beginning. Before the 57 Rane had a neat little product that didn't hurt anyone's mixer sales. Now they are using SSL to reassert their dominance in the mixer market. It's very smart of them, and I applaud their work... but in a way I'm kinda pumped to see how everyone else responds.

The moral of the story is I think you can expect to be buying a new $1500 mixer every 18 months from now on if you want to stay on top of the new technology. I just don't know if I want to start down that path??? Maybe what I have is good enough? Maybe not I don't know??? I'm just thinking out loud... (bad habit)

If anyone still reads this thread, I understand now the miscalculations that I made in my predictions for the future of mixers...

A) I underestimated the upgradable nature of the 57, it now has video with no new hardware purchase. The software also in continuously improving. This deserves props to Rane for building a device that can grow, this is a smart long term strategy on their part that makes me more comfortable investing in any/all products they make in this area.

B) I overestimated the speed/ambition/intensity of the rest of the market. The other guys are just not stepping up. Boo! Like Pioneers new ridiculous mixer for Video... just silly.

The Moore's Law factor does play in though. I did upgrade to a much better mac so I can support video. So Maybe we are going to be tied into getting better and better computers while the mixers stay the same? I'm fine with that...
Rebelguy 8:12 PM - 14 April, 2008
Quote:
I overestimated the speed/ambition/intensity of the rest of the market. The other guys are just not stepping up. Boo! Like Pioneers new ridiculous mixer for Video... just silly.

Who's not stepping up? There are mixers from Ecler, Korg, Mackie and Allen & Heath that all support a DVS program without an interface...Traktor Skratch. I know the Ecler and the Korg are software upgradeable as well.

FYI...Pioneers mixer is sold out on and on back order until June so it can't be that silly.
DJ Yaz 8:27 PM - 14 April, 2008
Right, changes are happening... I just expected more. The bottom line is that the 57 is still very relevant and holding a strong price. I frankly didn't expect that, but I'm pleased since I am a 57 owner.
Rebelguy 9:03 PM - 14 April, 2008
I think it really depends on the product. The Allen & Heath Xone 92 still brings in a good price and it is only a straight analog 4 channel mixer. The DJM-800s still command a good resale value as well.