DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

BEHRINGER DDM-4000 DJ MIXER (MY REVIEW)

Henry GQ 6:09 PM - 12 March, 2009
ok... it fuckin sucks!
yeah.... u pay 300 some odd dollars for this thing, u think its well worth the money. its got some cool effects. it has a nice design. they say it can do midi.

but all that doesnt matter, when the mixer shuts down on u in the middle of the night..... FUCKIN TWICE!
i call tech support and u treat me like shit.

BEHRINGER U FUCKIN SUCK ASS I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER PRODUCT FROM U WEAK ASS BITCHES AGAIN.... BLOW ME!

everyone told me about how behringer mixers are, and i refused to believe them.

DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT.

and that is my "official behringer ddm-4000 review"
DJ JAMES E 6:12 PM - 12 March, 2009
I've had one now for almost 2 months and never had that problem and I use it regularly. Sounds like Behringer's quality control is an issue. Either you get a good mixer or you get a dud like yours.
Jesus Christ 6:12 PM - 12 March, 2009
I read as far as BEHRINGER in the title and I already knew what this thread was about.
The Notourious B.K.S. 6:16 PM - 12 March, 2009
Quote:
I read as far as BEHRINGER in the title and I already knew what this thread was about.

Well yeah, but your Jesus, so you already knew before it was thought of being typed.
Jesus Christ 6:26 PM - 12 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Well yeah, but your Jesus, so you already knew before it was thought of being typed.

Yeah... true... but still. Seriously. You get what you pay for. Why do you think that Behringer mixers are 1/4 the price of any other competitive product with the same features? They are notorious for reverse-engineering competitive products, coming up with a way to make a similar product in the most cost-effective way possible, then treating you like ass when you call to complain.
DJ_Quirk 6:39 PM - 12 March, 2009
I've a ddm4000 for about 3 months now and I love it. I love that I can do everything from the mixer and never have to reach for the laptop. Never had to take out and gig with it though. I definitely doesn't feel like it could take too much abuse.
DJ Jonasty 6:45 PM - 12 March, 2009
I wonder if the mixer turned off bcuz some dude was dancing with your girl again. Could happen...

Pioneer djm 800 ftw
DJ Young Herrera 6:47 PM - 12 March, 2009
I think almost everybody has had a behringer buyer's remorse experience. Taught me to never buy crappy gear again.
DJ Strike It Up 7:54 PM - 12 March, 2009
Ive heard similar horror stories about behringer
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:09 PM - 12 March, 2009
Quote:
I wonder if the mixer turned off bcuz some dude was dancing with your girl again. Could happen...

Pioneer djm 800 ftw

lol!
Kadilac 9:19 PM - 12 March, 2009
I got this mixer when it first came out
www.scratchlive.net
here is an old post:
Quote:
This thing is huge, it won't fit in a UDG bag. I just put it back in the original box to transport it. Funny thing happened the other night, I wanted more volume in the club, so I turned it UP! I had the Ultramizer at Full Pump and pushed the max volume into the red! The damn thing let out a loud high pitched noised and locked up! I had to turn it off then back on to reset everything.

Do any of you guys use the Ultramizer settings?
I noticed that the EQ is pretty much useless when I use it at full pump.

I'm thinking about selling it and my SL-1 for the NS7 when it drops.

I felt it had poor build quality and the knobs and faders felt funny, everything worked but it just felt weird! Maybe because I already had a 57. I think the 4000 would be great if it was the first mixer you ever used, then you wouldn't know what a real tank feels like! Sort of like a GMC Jimmy VS an Escalade.
DJ JAMES E 9:55 PM - 12 March, 2009
Quote:

I felt it had poor build quality and the knobs and faders felt funny, everything worked but it just felt weird! Maybe because I already had a 57. I think the 4000 would be great if it was the first mixer you ever used, then you wouldn't know what a real tank feels like! Sort of like a GMC Jimmy VS an Escalade.

I agree, if you go into this purchase after using a $600+ mixer, you will not be happy. But I have never owned an expensive mixer and for me, it fits my needs perfectly. I have used my friends ttm57sl and of course it feels / sounds better than my Behringer, but then again it did cost 4x of my Behringer.
Henry GQ 9:56 PM - 12 March, 2009
haha kadilac.. i liek the comparison

but this mixer might be fine to play around with in ur bedroom, but what fun is it when u cant take out on the road with u ?
because after 2 hours of palying on the mixer in the club... it shut down.. and then abotu an hour later it shut down again!
serious ?

this mixer blows, i dare anyone to take it out and play on it for hours upon hours.
DJ JAMES E 10:49 PM - 12 March, 2009
Quote:

this mixer blows, i dare anyone to take it out and play on it for hours upon hours.

I've done about 7 gigs on it each being 4hrs + with zero problems.

I've done practicing at my house for 1-2 hours probably like 20+ times and never had that problem either.

Sorry you got a dud.
DJ JAMES E 10:51 PM - 12 March, 2009
BTW, I'm not saying that it will never happen to me but it hasn't happened yet.
Kadilac 10:58 PM - 12 March, 2009
I did play 2 of my biggest gigs with the 4000.

Q-Dog Party
i244.photobucket.com
i244.photobucket.com
i244.photobucket.com

Then I flipped the script

Navy Day Ball
i244.photobucket.com
i244.photobucket.com
i244.photobucket.com
i244.photobucket.com

So it can be done.
DJ JAMES E 11:12 PM - 12 March, 2009
Kadilac, that first party looks like the events that I love to DJ.
Henry GQ 11:30 PM - 12 March, 2009
hahaha
doods with their shirts off, yup thats party alright ahha
DJ Strike It Up 2:46 AM - 13 March, 2009
all them dude with their shirts off and no one had baby oil?
no homo!
Kadilac 3:01 AM - 13 March, 2009
You're "out of line" man! Nawl, I kid, I kid!
DJ Strike It Up 3:02 AM - 13 March, 2009
LOL
im changing my dj name - DJ Outta Line!
djbabyboy 4:44 AM - 13 March, 2009
Kadilac, that look like a Paine College event... lol
Kadilac 2:15 PM - 13 March, 2009
Yes Sir!
Kaceyx 10:59 PM - 22 April, 2009
guyz can anyone telll me which is the best midi cable/interface work with the DDM 4000 because i bought the M-Audio UNO and it didn't work and I Already Changed the mixer from the dealer here :( sooo helpp please with one good MIDI cable work with this Mixer
Henry GQ 7:54 AM - 23 April, 2009
dood, the uno works fine. it worked with mine..

u gotta go and program the mid section in the mixer.

only use midi out. nothing else.
Kaceyx 10:08 AM - 23 April, 2009
mate i even tried the midi out only and it send midi msgs as shown from the Software or the midi adapter in the UNO but it in the Software ihe moves of the faders or the knobs looks sooo slow or even sometimes not working :( , I google the internet and read some forums many people doesn't work with them using the UNO so that's why i tried to change it .... IM not Ameture I have A lot of Midi contollers and Many DAWS to control them the Cable seems to work Perfect with M-Audio Stuff LIke Axiom-25 or the Evolution UC33e Midi controllers ....

AND I CHANGED THE MIXER TWICE FROM THE DEALER SO I DON'T THINK BOTH MIXERS HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM :( ...

Sooo DIssappointed
Dj BuddyLove 10:05 PM - 23 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

I've done about 5 gigs on it each being 5hrs + with zero problems.

I've done practicing at my house for 1-5 hours probably like ????+ times and never had that problem either.

Sorry you got a dud.

^^
farrell 11:03 AM - 18 July, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Pioneer djm 800 ftw

lol!

+1
Neutrik 11:57 PM - 20 January, 2013
I just bought one yesterday...
The buttons felt funny, like they weren't working properly.
I plugged the thing in and the display was glitching out so I turned it off then back on and all the lights lit up, stayed on and the display just continued to glitch out. That's all it does now.. Lights up and bugs out. I'm seriously reconsidering the purchase of this mixer and think I may be better off going with anything else at this point.
DJ Reflex 2:05 AM - 21 January, 2013
No further experience with Behringer after DJX-700 years ago. I liked it and it DID take a beating for several years with no issues. I even fried out one channel at a crappy bar once, but the thing kept on playing (right channel only). Had it repaired and worked like a champ. I don't know anything about the DDM-4000, but it sounds like when you ask Behringer to so something that Pioneer or Rane should be doing, it craps out on ya.
dj80hd 8:03 PM - 11 September, 2014
I've had three DDM4000s. One completely crapped out such that when I turned it on there was no display or sound - only blinking lights. On another one, the channel 4 fader became useless. The third one seems to be doing alright ... for now.

I put an innofader PNP in one of them and an innofader Pro in another one of them. They are a ton of fun but as people have said here - they are pretty much disposable. Too bad. I would gladly pay double the price for a reliable version of this.
soulman67 10:57 PM - 14 February, 2016
I have found this site due to a DDM4000 issue. I bought one 6 weeks ago and looks lovely when set up. After a short time my right speaker stopped working so I eliminated slowly. The first thing I did was gently touch the slider on channel 1 on the mixer and the speaker kicked in. 5 minutes later it did it again so I touched the slider again and it sorted it so that told me it's not the amp or speakers etc. Sent it back and now have a replacement. I don't use it a lot but it's on tonight and guess what's happened?? yep you have it, I have a right speaker issue problem AGAIN. This time I turned the balance on the amp to the right speaker and the sound was low and distorted so I left it there and put a DVD in the player. I then selected the amp input to DVD and the sound kicked in so that eliminated any speaker wire issues in the amp. I touched the slider again and nothing happened so wasn't the slider this time. I also fiddled with the output on my PC and it didn't change anything. I then quickly turned the main volume knob on the mixer up and down a few times and the sound came back. This eliminates all of my gear so it's obviously another problem with this mixer which is sad as I like it. I have read other problems and now realise that this mixer looks better than it's built. If it continues it's going back and I will get the Pioneer DJM900 NXS2 but the price difference is £1500 which is a MASSIVE amount so I pray the DDM4000 will be ok.
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:08 PM - 14 February, 2016
what you are describing is a bleeding fader, it needs to be replaced,

if you ask me behringer products are shit
soulman67 11:12 PM - 14 February, 2016
I am sure you know your stuff being a DJ but the fader hasn't given me any hassle. It's the slider on channel one on the first mixer and the master volume on the second one. Can you please explain how it's the fader and also how you know as this would be helpful if I send it back. Looks like it's the Pioneer then lol
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:21 PM - 14 February, 2016
Quote:
please explain how it's the fader and also how you know

This nice lady informed me

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Val-BKNY11203 7:38 PM - 15 February, 2016
I had mine since it's been out and have not had one single issue. Even after being dropped 4 times.
soulman67 7:43 PM - 15 February, 2016
Well it's not my year for luck mate. Half hour ago the right speaker stopped again so I twisted the volume button on the mixer and it came back to life so the mixer is obviously at fault here and yet this is the second one. I have read many reviews on this mixer and it's been slated quite a bit. I will give a a few more days and decide what to do. I don't really want to pay £1700 for a Pioneer but if I have to you can get it for £64 a month lol.
DjBishop7 2:38 PM - 31 March, 2017
Like many fellow Dj's I have kids and it's tough to buy an expensive mixer that we all want to be rockin. I'd kill to have a Pioneer or Rane, I settled for a Ns6 that I've been using for 6 years, also I reversed my gear and also purchased a DDM 4000 and some pioneer turntables, I use both set ups hours upon hours at Mobile gigs all live club gigs. It's midi Mappable and works great with serato or scratch live. I know they have a crossfader replacement the X1 by beringer that helps fox that strange feeling we all feel. I've played with various other mixers that my uncle my Mentor owns, yes it has a different sound and feel overall when scratching. Looking into the X1 upgrade that runs about 30 dollars. If your a mix dj I think it has everything you need, for scratching maybe it can do better. For the price we can't expect it to live up to our friends and families pioneer or ranes.
Unity 9:34 PM - 24 May, 2017
Good Day I have a Behringer model DDM4000 for the last three years. With in less than a year this model seems to have a problem. The issue I'm having with it is that it freezes ( all the lights come on and the audio fluctuates at different levels). Is this a common issue that customer have? And how can the matter be fixed?

I guess its time for a better mixer. It looks so pretty though.
Unity 9:44 PM - 24 May, 2017
Quote:
I just bought one yesterday...
The buttons felt funny, like they weren't working properly.
I plugged the thing in and the display was glitching out so I turned it off then back on and all the lights lit up, stayed on and the display just continued to glitch out. That's all it does now.. Lights up and bugs out. I'm seriously reconsidering the purchase of this mixer and think I may be better off going with anything else at this point.

This is the same issue Im having. The Technical support was no use. They said they never had that issue so contact Behringer directly.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:32 PM - 25 May, 2017
Quote:
I had mine since it's been out and have not had one single issue. Even after being dropped 4 times.

Still rolling with zero issues
Krate Digga 3:22 PM - 17 August, 2017
All I can say is that I bought this mixer in 2009 and used it weekly (at the minimum) til April 2016 with NO issues. It's not a 57 or an S9 but it's not trash IMO.

I midi-mapped sections to control Serato Live & Serato DJ looping & loading features. It only was taken out of rotation because I purchased an s9. The way I used my DDM, Dicers & MPD24 for live shows was all encompassed in an S9.

Sorry u had a bad experience ... but I def didn't share in it. Behringer is a solid brand, far from perfect but solid.