DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Recording with Serato DJ

ozfrombk 12:03 AM - 3 June, 2014
Maybe I am bugging, but when I go to the record tab, the "Mix" option doesn't come up for me. I just get the option to record my individual channels. Anyone else having this issue?

Serato DJ 1.6.3
Ulrich von Hurtem 12:52 AM - 3 June, 2014
What hardware?

I can't record sets with my SL2 alone. For that to be possible, Serato would have to magically know what I'm doing with my mixer. Well, or have a third stereo input, just for recording.
ozfrombk 1:20 AM - 3 June, 2014
I have an SL3 so with the aux in/out I should be able to record no?
Ulrich von Hurtem 1:43 AM - 3 June, 2014
Looks simple enough.
serato.com

Perhaps I should have splashed out on an SL3
ozfrombk 3:47 AM - 3 June, 2014
That's for Serato Scratch Live. I can record my mix fine in SSL but in Serato DJ the "Mix" option is not coming up. It only gives me the option to record Channel 1, 2, or 3
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:07 AM - 3 June, 2014
Hey ozfrombk,

There is no "Mix" option in Serato DJ or Scratch Live. Its named "aux" in Scratch Live and was renamed "Deck 3/Channel 3" in Serato DJ.

Regardless of the name change the principle is the same, so follow the instructions in article above and you should be ok. You basically need to send a MASTER output from your mixer back into the spare input of your SL3. You can then choose this input on your SL3 as the recording source.

I hope that helps :)
ozfrombk 1:22 PM - 3 June, 2014
Martin C,

Ok thanks. I didn't realize "Mix" was changed to "Channel 3." I was reading the manual and it mentioned that in the drop down menu in the recording tab, there would be a "Mix" option.

Silly me for not using common sense tho bc once all set up correctly then Channel 3 would be my Mix lol

Thanks!
Dj-Handy 7:46 PM - 1 July, 2014
I was having the same problem, it didn't call it 3 in the tutorial either! Thanks Martin
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:53 PM - 1 July, 2014
No problem guys :)
WizzKidJD 2:29 AM - 15 February, 2017
Im using TTM57 for SSL recording works perfectly fine. Serato DJ (Denon DJ) doesn't give me the "Mix" option it only displays channel 1 & 2. When I record i only hear static just a continuos tone no audio. I have tried changing channels on my mixer still nothing. Help needed, Thanks.
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:42 AM - 15 February, 2017
Hi WizzKidJD,

When you say you are using Denon DJ with Serato DJ, what hardware are you using exactly?

It sounds like a DS1 from your description of the options available - because the mixing is performed on your hardware mixer (not in the DS1) then Serato DJ has no access to a "mixed" signal (the sum of both of your channels).

The two options you see currently simply allow you to record the two separate inputs on the DS1, and this case, you are inputting control vinyl/CDs, so thats what you'll be hearing.

Unfortunately this is a limitation of the hardware design - the 57SL solves this by passing the mixed audio back to Serato Scratch Live over USB.

The only suggestion I have for you is to check out the method of recording mixes with a Rane SL2 here: support.serato.com as this has the same issue. If your computer has some type of input, you should be able to use it.
WizzKidJD 3:13 PM - 15 February, 2017
Thanks mate, precisely my issue. All I'm hear is my vinyl spinning, looks like I need Audacity or Ableton.
Serato, Support
Martin C 3:16 AM - 16 February, 2017
Audacity is muchhhh cheaper... by that I mean, free :)
WizzKidJD 2:04 PM - 21 February, 2017
Not hearing any sound, nor seeing any sound waves. Even with the RCA to 3.5, mac not recognizing the input from the headphone jack, "line" option isn't available in preferences. Is there any thing to purchase to bypass the issue or a solution in general? Thanks
Serato, Support
Martin C 5:11 AM - 22 February, 2017
Ah I see you are using a mac, and if you are using a fairly new one, you'll be out of luck because they removed the line input option a few models ago (which I'm pretty gutted about personally). The only default "record in" is via the mic, which isn't going to help I'm afraid.

Aside from upgrading your Serato interface to something with a spare input (SL3/SL4) you can run the RCA from your mixer into your phone. Depending on what phone you have of course.. iPhones require an adaptor, but then you can use the standard sound recorder app. I'm not too familiar with what your options are for other phones, but I'm sure there are some.

Its detailed here on DJ Tech Tools: djtechtools.com

Another kind of wacky idea I have is, if you happen to have another interface with an input and you have a spare USB, you could then use this input and interface to record into audacity. If you go this route I suggest you do a little research, but here is an example of a cheap USB interface that has one input and one output: www.fruugo.co.nz

Let me know if you need any other help/advice man!
Relley Rozay 6:08 PM - 21 August, 2017
I have two Reloop RP8000s and a Denon DS1 Mixer. When I try to record, all i hear is static as well. I only see channel 1 and 2 Can someone please help me ASAP
Mr. Goodkat 10:04 PM - 21 August, 2017
wiretap pro doesnt work on my computer since i upgraded to yosemite, but it might work on yours. its really dope if it it works

www.ambrosiasw.com
Serato, Support
Martin C 12:41 AM - 22 August, 2017
Hi Relley Rozay,

Please check out this article on Denons website: www.denondj.com it may help you.

The Denon DS1 is some what limited in this regard, it doesn't have an extra input to capture the mix. Also because you are blending the two tracks via your hardware mixer, Serato DJ does not have an opportunity to record this.

Please refer to my replies above for more detail.

Martin
Jens1404 3:07 PM - 3 December, 2017
Hi,

I have a question about recording with my Serato SL3. I have all the hardware connected en know i have to select channel 3 but this isn't possible for me. Every time i click on it the 3 channels appear en disappear so quickly i can't switch from the standard channel 1.

Is there something else i have to do?

Thanks
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:51 PM - 3 December, 2017
Hi Jens1404? So do you mean you've been unable to DJ because you don't get to see the 2 or 3 decks? Or is this just preventing you from recording?

Have you been in touch with our support team about this? support.serato.com
Jens1404 2:25 PM - 4 December, 2017
I am perfectly able to dj and everything works fine.

Only the record bar is not functionning proper. I want to choose channel 3 to record the master output, but this isn't possible... It always flickers and the options disappear before i can choose channel 3...

Thank you
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:55 PM - 6 December, 2017
Oh ok, I've not heard of that before :S It sounds like an issue with the user interface part, rather than the recording audio part not working correctly.

I recommend starting a help request by going here: support.serato.com

If you can, I'd suggest taking a video of the issue with your phone or something, then attach it to the help request. Someone from the technical support team will be more equipped to help you out :)