Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

The controller keeps freezing up and i have no control of anything

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Numark NS7 II
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
tom p 4:40 PM - 28 May, 2014
I start playing music and then i just lose all control of my numark ns7ii. it just freezes up.
Serato, Support
Lucas S 2:48 AM - 4 June, 2014
Hi tom p,

How large is your music library? Do you store your music on an external hard drive?

Do you use iTunes to organise your music library?

Let me know.

Cheers
Dj_Smuve 7:31 PM - 17 January, 2015
My Ns7 does the same thing. My library is pretty big and until last night I never had any issues.I don't whats going on.
mr_ppg 10:54 PM - 21 January, 2015
my software started doing this last week and i have removed everything and installed it again and it is still happening. i have also contacted serato several times and have only recieved a voicemail and a generic email. very poor customer service. i loved this software up until last week now i wish i could get my money back for all of it! im extremely frustrated
Tommy Deem 10:01 PM - 21 February, 2015
What kind of pc/mac ur using first of all??
Dj S.C. (Shreveport La) 9:10 PM - 23 February, 2015
I'm having the same problem... I just lose all controll of my ns7ii... music keeps playing but my controller doesn't respond please help... I'm using a Dell laptop with windows 7 and a external HD.... just got my ns7ii a few weeks ago my n4 never did this
blackrob 10:03 PM - 1 March, 2015
My ns7 2 does the same also gives out a loud distortion thru my speakers. Had my speakers checked even used traitors thru my turntables an speakers help
DJ MoLoToV 11:22 AM - 8 March, 2015
I had the same thing, and the only difference is that my music also starts to go faster and faster.... No control, the only thing I can do is turn of the controller and start it up again. This happened to me a few times now. Always in the middle of people dancing. I do like Serato a lot and I love my NS7II but it is very frustrating to go to a gig and have to think that its gonna happen again. The bad thing here is just that I don't now if it is the software or the hardware? Who says it is Serato, who says its Numark... so no fingerpointing, just hope I can resolve this cause this cant keep going on...
Tommy Deem 2:37 PM - 8 March, 2015
Looked trough this issue with my own and my result is that the problem most likely is numarks firmware for ns7 2, put trough 1.7-1.7.4 beta and the result is allways the same, random freezing at random time, controller freezes up and software keeps playing. My fix for now is that I use headphone out from my mac as bacup, wired it to places mixer so if ns7 need boot up i can open the fader from mixer and music continues to play.
Dj S.C. (Shreveport La) 4:30 PM - 9 March, 2015
I found what the problem was it was my computer wasn't strong enough.. once I redownloaded Sera to to my iMac instead of my dell it ran without a hitch.. my ns7ii has never played this smooth no more stopping and freezing and the latency is spot on.... I figured it would be my computer but this proved it.. check your specs on your laptop or desktop... after using my iMac desktop I'm never going back to pc for djing... just for research purposes I'm now using a 27 inch iMac with an i5 quad core processor and 6 gigs of ram and T hard drive... at first I was using a 2010 dell laptop...
Dj S.C. (Shreveport La) 4:32 PM - 9 March, 2015
Quote:
My ns7 2 does the same also gives out a loud distortion thru my speakers. Had my speakers checked even used traitors thru my turntables an speakers help

It's your computer.. or your speakers are to close
Dj S.C. (Shreveport La) 4:33 PM - 9 March, 2015
Quote:
Looked trough this issue with my own and my result is that the problem most likely is numarks firmware for ns7 2, put trough 1.7-1.7.4 beta and the result is allways the same, random freezing at random time, controller freezes up and software keeps playing. My fix for now is that I use headphone out from my mac as bacup, wired it to places mixer so if ns7 need boot up i can open the fader from mixer and music continues to play.

Its Not the firmware it's the computer...
Dj S.C. (Shreveport La) 4:34 PM - 9 March, 2015
Quote:
I'm having the same problem... I just lose all controll of my ns7ii... music keeps playing but my controller doesn't respond please help... I'm using a Dell laptop with windows 7 and a external HD.... just got my ns7ii a few weeks ago my n4 never did this

It's your computer I had the exact problem until I got a stronger computer.... Trust me that's all you need
Tommy Deem 6:19 PM - 9 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Its Not the firmware it's the computer...

Before u state that u should know my laptop specs:
2,2 GHz quadcore Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3,4 GHz)
Memory - 16 Gt 1600MHZ DDR3L
Hard Drive - 256Gt PCle flash
15'4" with Intel Iris Pro Graphics
10.10.2 Yosemite

And tell me how my mac dosen't qualify to run my setup :D??
Tommy Deem 6:52 PM - 9 March, 2015
Btw, allready solved the problem, and u know what... SUPRISE! It wasn't my computer ;) But now all good and NS7 mk2 is kicking good again.
Dj_Smuve 7:46 PM - 9 March, 2015
Tommy Deem how did you fix it?
Quote:
Btw, allready solved the problem, and u know what... SUPRISE! It wasn't my computer ;) But now all good and NS7 mk2 is kicking good again.
Tommy Deem 7:52 PM - 9 March, 2015
Uninstalled ns7 mk2 from midi devices and reinstalled firmware, then mac detected ns7 mk2 again and it works now. And for 1.7.4 beta users 2ms latency has some issues, use 5ms for latency :)
Dj_Smuve 6:51 AM - 12 March, 2015
Ok cool I will try that
Tommy Deem 11:45 AM - 12 March, 2015
Quote:
Ok cool I will try that

But i still prefer u to use 1.7.3, the beta still makes trouble...
Heltino 6:20 PM - 12 March, 2015
I have with the 1.7.4 a strange problem with my NS7II under Windows.

If I try to edit the grid on the fly, means during a set....it refuses.
Sometimes it works ONE time for ONE track...and after this nothing more.

Does not matter if the track is playing or paused, if the platter is active or not....message from SDJ "grid editing is disabled until platter has reached full speed".

Under 1.7.3 no issues at all.

Can somebody confirm this?
Tommy Deem 6:42 PM - 13 March, 2015
u should propably report this where it should be reported, not gonna do much improvement from serato to next release if u state that here.
Heltino 2:16 AM - 14 March, 2015
Quote:
u should propably report this where it should be reported, not gonna do much improvement from serato to next release if u state that here.

I did already.
Just interested if somebody else has noticed this issue or can reproduce it.
Serato so far is unable to reproduce it, I can do it all the time.
A video is requested, not sure when I ´m able to do it...but at the end:
What does it help if they can´t reproduce? You see a video that proofs that I don´t lie.
That´s all :)
Tommy Deem 1:44 PM - 17 March, 2015
serato.com

here is the problem more specific
Heltino 5:30 PM - 17 March, 2015
Quote:
serato.com

here is the problem more specific

that is a total different problem.
Tommy Deem 6:06 PM - 17 March, 2015
did i say that my post was linked to ur problem??
garrybanton 8:18 PM - 24 March, 2015
Oh so I'm having the same problem with my NS7-2 and I'm using a Mac book pro i7, I get distortion from tru my headphones den I loose sound in the line Thats in cue in order to fix it I'll have to restart the whole unit or if I load up a song it freezes the program and I kno the file isn't to big. Nex problem I'm havin is my lights on my pad if I'm jumping from loops to cue points the pad stays on the green which belongs to the loop. I don't kno if it's the software or the hardware...

Can someone help please
westell54 2:10 AM - 31 March, 2015
There seems to be a common problem among NS7II users. I'm trying to look at what the we all have in common, and what makes the NS7II unique to other controllers. The NS7II has rotating platters which send high res midi data to the computer. While there are other controllers that also send high bit rate midi, this only happens when you touch the platters, whereas the NS7II sends high bit rate data constantly whenever the platter is in motion. It has been suggested that this puts a lot of demand on the USB data connection which maybe causing some of these issues.

I have been communicating back and forth with Serato on this and it seems to be coming mostly from users with NS7II's. Aside from computer specs, it seems to be a common problem with Pitch n' Time, instant start, or platter rotation. Deleting the midi studio file is one good suggestion to try, as it does remedy some issues if your controller was working perfectly fine previously.

Assuming your computer specs are adequate, and you had no problems previously:

- First, try disabling Pittch n' Time. It seems to be the common cause of distortion/loss of audio.

- Try increasing your latency (5ms is the highest I can go without sacrificing too much performance).

- As a test, turn the platter motors off to see if it helps to keep the CPU light from coming on.

Serato suggests to try disabling instant start, although I don't see any changes in system performance by doing this. Do this by simply increasing the "Start Time" knob up to about the minus line.

Do these in steps to see if any (or all) of them give you better results and also create help tickets with Serato. The more that they see this as a wide spread problem, the more priority they will give it. This is a problem that has no real workaround right now unless you completely cripple the system. This is unacceptable, but they won't think it's a big deal unless lots of users report it.
DJ Verbal 6:06 AM - 31 March, 2015
I replaced the NS7 with the NS7II last Friday. Needless to say, I was amped about the upgrade. Only to find out ... on the same gear the worked so flawlessly with the NS7, the NS7II was a total abomination. I was so frustrated, I contemplated returning it on several occasions. I was victim to the "on the way to notorious" NS7II freeze/unresponsive behavior. The only way to remedy it was to power down the NS7II mid-song and power it back on. This was unacceptable for such a high end controller. I google'd the hell out of the issue ... ending up here amongst many other forums. Every post that had a suggestion, I immediately went to try it on my system. I have an HP DV7 with an Intel i5 2.27GHz, 8GB RAM and Nvidia GE Force G105M ... Call it what you want but it is above the min specs and worked just fine with the NS7. After a combination of suggestions applied to my laptop, I believe I came upon the solution for my setup. I performed all Windows "optimizations" suggested in various posts. I even bought an A/C powered USB hub to aid in powering the NS7II. I installed my iolo System Mechanics Pro, did a deep analysis of my system, cleaned it thoroughly, updated all my drivers, uninstalled/re-installed the most current Numark NS7II drivers (2.9.55), disabled my WiFi and Anti-virus (and my Dropbox because it was hogging processor power in the task manager), powered up the NS7II, plugged the USB cable in, started up Serato DJ 1.7.3 and began to put it through its paces. Previously, a half hour into any session, the problem would occur. I'm proud to say that I've been mixing, looping, scratching all day without any freezing whatsoever. Maybe it's a fluke but it seems solid so far. If any of these tips or courses of action helps another NS7II/Serato DJ user, I'm honored. I struggled with the freezing so anyone on this forum, in this section, I hope your luck changes for the better. Peace.
DJ Verbal 10:26 PM - 31 March, 2015
UPDATE!!!! I don't understand why the tech gods chose to allow me to prep and record two whole mixes yesterday without so much as a hiccup but today ... It's wreaking the same havoc as before. Apparently, all of my "workarounds" didn't really mean squat. I can't have my productivity stifled by praying that my setup will 'behave' on any given day. I'm done with Serato DJ. I wish I could literally materialize it into some paper ... I'd wipe my a** with it. I'm heading over to Virtual DJ. It may look cheesy as hell but the end justifies the means. I have to complete several mixes by April 2nd for a college radio show and I just don't have time for the BS! To paraphrase the late Pac: "F**k Serato as a staff, a software developer and as a motherf***ing crew!" And an extra shout out to Numark for staying in bed with these lame-o's. And don't hop on the end of this discussion with your high horse, Macbook Pro talk. I've seen several posts relating to this issue from Apple owners. The weight is on you Serato. Get it right! For now, you've lost one!
COJX 8:11 AM - 3 April, 2015
same happens to me! i'll expose out of fullscreen to search in finder for tracks that i've recently downloaded because you can't sort via artist name, date added etc. out of serato when you're searching in the files tab(should be added tho!!) and the bpm will jump like crazy fast..

i've noticed when it happens that if i hit the eject button on the track thats playing that is messed up and reload it, it's fixed.. next time this happens i will try doubling the track to another deck and see if the audio is still messed up (if the audio is still fine then you can eject the messed up track and keep the good track playing) i don't play a whole lot of house so i'd be able to switch out to decks 3&4 if decks 1&2 are mashing together..

i just optimized my mac per your instructions except for the hard drive sensor (i dont trust myself to remember to turn it back on).. but i think the spotlight disable and app nap might do the trick..

hope this gets fixed soon! luckily i'm still raging in my bedroom and haven't been out to parties recently to trainwreck with this issue :(

NS7II
SDJ 1.7.3

MacBookPro 13" Mid 2012
2.9GHz i7
8GB 1600MHz DDR3
daws 11:42 AM - 9 April, 2015
i'm also getting the distortion, speedups, dropouts and loss of all responsiveness with the ns7ii, serato dj 1.7.3 on win7 x64 8GB i7-4700 and SSD. I don't know how to reproduce the issue, but it keeps happening by itself
2:00 AM, 24 Apr 2015
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.