Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Moving library to Rekordbox / Traktor

JeXX 12:16 AM - 22 May, 2014
I know this has been discussed before but the answers aren't typically clear and I can't find exactly what I'm looking for with searches, especially up to date answers.

I use Serato DJ, use wav files, and I have a huge meticulous library with cue points, etc.

Have some CDJ's and Traktor set ups in my future, reluctantly, and need to prepare the rekordbox crap. (sigh...) This wouldn't be a problem but transferring that library...

With the .wav files and Serato's management of meta data I'm hoping there's some solution to transferring everything into Rekordbox. I mix quick as hell and without cue points and key information I'll be crippled. I understand rekordbox doesn't support shit for cuepoints but at least it'd be a start getting my top 3 and all my metadata, notes, key info, la di da.

Annnnnyone?
JeXX 9:30 PM - 1 June, 2014
Just read that CDJ2000s can be plugged into Serato DJ. Problem solved! Anyone use this?
Mr Wilks 10:38 PM - 1 June, 2014
I use other CDJs (2000/900/850) and they work a dream. You'll be impressed (I'm actually running SDJ on 850s as I type this).
JeXX 10:40 PM - 2 June, 2014
Serato just shames rekordbox in terms of record management. I'm so happy to hear this. Any catches? Have a show coming up with no room in the booth for my controller and have no time on CDJs
deejdave 3:30 AM - 3 June, 2014
Serato > Traktor - N.I. SSL database importer (free from Native Instruments)

Traktor > Rekordbox - Rekordbuddy ($7.99 from Rekordbuddy.com and obviously only for Mac)

Problem solved. Cue points, beat grids, keys, comments, EVERYTHING!! As Rekordbox only has three hot cues it stores the rest as memory cues being SDJ & Traktor support up to 8 "hot cues".

Pretty much a pro at this and is one of my claims to fame locally as I have a 85,000+ library 100% SYNCed between all three professional DJ applications - Serato (all versions, Traktor & Rekordbox.
Mr Wilks 3:38 AM - 3 June, 2014
Quote:

Traktor > Rekordbox - Rekordbuddy ($7.99 from Rekordbuddy.com and obviously only for Mac)

Problem solved. Cue points, beat grids, keys, comments, EVERYTHING!! As Rekordbox only has three hot cues it stores the rest as memory cues being SDJ & Traktor support up to 8 "hot cues".

Pretty much a pro at this and is one of my claims to fame locally as I have a 85,000+ library 100% SYNCed between all three professional DJ applications - Serato (all versions, Traktor & Rekordbox.

Does your Traktor/Serato importer still work as it's been reportedly broken since the database V2 came out? I could only get one level deep converting crates when I tried it the other year.

On the NI forum people say it's broken as Serato changed something in the database a few years ago.
deejdave 3:40 AM - 3 June, 2014
Nah still works 100% as intended for me I do it every month. Just did my last one three days ago as a matter of fact. I have a little trouble with FLAC files sometimes but even those eventually go for me.
deejdave 3:42 AM - 3 June, 2014
What specifically is not working for you?
Mr Wilks 3:44 AM - 3 June, 2014
Ahhh. I never got it to work as I wanted to move to Traktor with a T1 that is at work but after a fail with it back three years ago I just left it.

There seems to be a long thread on NI saying they haven't had much success with it recently with some reports saying it's deleted cue points and corrupted files. I may give it a whirl and see what happens.
deejdave 3:45 AM - 3 June, 2014
Also I should mention I do folder by folder now as the collection as a whole is already done. So I will go into DJDM (Main Drive)>Hip-Hop>2014> then select "May 2014" folder and do that folder specifically then move to the next. Remembering which folders I just did then transfer all at once to Traktor.
Mr Wilks 3:46 AM - 3 June, 2014
If I converted I for about 10% of crates imported and no real data. It was just the top level crates that came over (and not all of them).
Mr Wilks 3:46 AM - 3 June, 2014
**it converted about
Mr Wilks 3:47 AM - 3 June, 2014
Ahhh. I may try that way then.
Mr Wilks 3:48 AM - 3 June, 2014
www.native-instruments.com

This was the thread. By page 4, bearly anyone has it working.
deejdave 3:48 AM - 3 June, 2014
Quote:
Ahhh. I never got it to work as I wanted to move to Traktor with a T1 that is at work but after a fail with it back three years ago I just left it.

There seems to be a long thread on NI saying they haven't had much success with it recently with some reports saying it's deleted cue points and corrupted files. I may give it a whirl and see what happens.

Oh for Fuk's sake!! That would be a tragedy and I don't know what i would do if I lost the ability. Yeah man lemme know how you make out but PLEASE back up. I know you to be an intelligent guy and I'm sure you know this already LOL. If I can help in any way don't hesitate. Use option "By folders" instead of "database" or "crates" then select "process sub crates" and de-select "overwrite cues/loops".

May not mean much now but if/when you go for it it is golden info.
deejdave 3:51 AM - 3 June, 2014
Quote:
If I converted I for about 10% of crates imported and no real data. It was just the top level crates that came over (and not all of them).

Are you sure you had the "process sub folders" selected? and. Also for me I do it by folders so this may be a defining difference as well. I also keep my folders the same as crates and I have NEVER used alchemie Zinc which (I reluctantly say around here as I know a few peeps have a fiscal interest in them around here) I have seen cause some issues of its own.
Mr Wilks 3:52 AM - 3 June, 2014
Sounds good. I'll give it a test on a backup I have and see what happens. If all goes well I'll do it folder by folder and ease it in.

I want a unified library like yourself and admire how you've got it meticulously sorted. Hopefully one day!
deejdave 3:54 AM - 3 June, 2014
Quote:
meticulously sorted

Putting it lightly!! LOL as good as it is it kind of takes over your life to keep it this way haha

It's all for the cause!!!! LOL

lemme know how you make out.
Mr Wilks 3:56 AM - 3 June, 2014
I think I did had the sub crates folder checked but it didn't seem to work. Other users have had success so I'm a little unsure on the pattern.

Either way I'll do it with the backup and hope for the best. It's a very useful tool if I get it working 100%.

Thanks for the help deejay. I'll try it again over the coming days.
Mr Wilks 4:01 AM - 3 June, 2014
It was post #93 that got me worried after post #82 trashed his collection. www.native-instruments.com
deejdave 4:06 AM - 3 June, 2014
LOL # 93 is like exactly how I am and what I say!!! Too funny. Got luck though as this is not a trial by error thing I stepped into and by luck have just been doing it this day since day one. Never even know folks were having issues with this until today...........
JeXX 10:10 PM - 5 June, 2014
Ahhh!! Did it work? All my buddies use Traktor set ups and would love to be able to go jam with them, with my collection, on their set ups.

I just downloaded the program and will back up and give it a try tonight.
deejdave 10:27 PM - 5 June, 2014
Don't go to crazy. Damien will be releasing Reord Buddy 2.0 very soon which will offer 100% SYNCing between all three Pro DJ software applications.
Mr Wilks 11:20 PM - 5 June, 2014
Quote:
Don't go to crazy. Damien will be releasing Reord Buddy 2.0 very soon which will offer 100% SYNCing between all three Pro DJ software applications.

LIKEY!
938MyDJ 4:34 AM - 6 June, 2014
Quote:

Three Pro Softwares:
1. Serato DJ
2. Traktor
3. Rekordbox... or Virtual DJ ???

LOL!
JeXX 12:31 PM - 6 June, 2014
VDJ!! *flex*

When is this program getting released? My interest is definitely sparked.
JeXX 12:34 PM - 6 June, 2014
For anyone else watching this discussion...

-----------
Rekord Buddy™ 2 is not just a syncing too but complete track collection management tool for DJs. Not only can you import and export your track info and meta-data from Traktor and Rekordbox, you can also use it to arrange/edit your tracks and playlists in ways you’ve never been able to before. This is probably one of the features I’m the most excited about as I know this will make your life and preparing gigs a lot easier.

Rekord Buddy™ 2 will not just support Traktor and Rekordbox though. More info will be announced at WMC but I can already say that the first release will add 3 more programs to the list with even more to come down the road.

Windows support has been one of the biggest requests I’ve been getting and I can confirm that Rekord Buddy™ 2 will also be available on Windows. It will not be a straight port of the Mac version but a native Windows app developed from scratch specifically for the Windows environment. For this reason, it will not launch at the same time as the Mac version but I’m hoping it won’t be too long thereafter.
--------
--Rekord buddy website
JeXX 12:23 AM - 7 June, 2014
Just kidding about the VDJ thing, only use that monster of a program when I'm headlining
deejdave 3:44 AM - 7 June, 2014
Quote:
Just kidding about the VDJ thing, only use that monster of a program when I'm headlining

LMAO!!
sinesthetix 4:30 AM - 1 September, 2014
Hopefully there's a Windows option soon. I'll keep an eye on Rekordbuddy's site. Cheers!
HackneyOG 7:16 PM - 6 October, 2014
Hey, do I need Traktor for this? Or can it be done with the SSL Importer alone?

Thanks
deejdave 11:11 PM - 6 October, 2014
Quote:
Hey, do I need Traktor for this?

This = ?
Kristian Valdini 7:24 AM - 9 October, 2014
Still waiting patiently for Damien to fire out Rekordbuddy for SDJ - soon :)

K
The Black President 10:18 PM - 13 May, 2015
Quote:
Still waiting patiently for Damien to fire out Rekordbuddy for SDJ - soon :)

K

Yeah, me too. He promised to have it out in 2014 :[
DJ Sidies 4:53 PM - 2 August, 2015
Can anyone send me this please djsidies@gmail.com I need to use it to use record buddy
mr187 5:15 AM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:

Does your Traktor/Serato importer still work as it's been reportedly broken since the database V2 came out? I could only get one level deep converting crates when I tried it the other year.

On the NI forum people say it's broken as Serato changed something in the database a few years ago.

Don't use the traktor importer before backing up all your mp3's. I used it a while back like in 09 and it fuwked up a lot of my mp3 files and back in serato they had lightning and when i played them sounded like somebody was scraping chalk on a chalkboard and pitching drinking glasses on the sidewalk in the lightning tracks.
deejdave 2:18 PM - 4 August, 2015
I have heard of this myself. Have not been able to duplicate though and believe me I have tried. I make sure I re-analyze all files every so often just to ensure nothing goes wrong. I have had random files go "corrupt" out of the blue but this was WAY after I had imported and I only import each file once.

Best bet though is to always have multiple backups of your library.
deejdave 2:19 PM - 4 August, 2015
Quote:
scraping chalk on a chalkboard and pitching drinking glasses on the sidewalk in the lightning tracks.

BTW this sounds extremely uncomfortable LMAO!!
mr187 10:37 PM - 11 August, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
scraping chalk on a chalkboard and pitching drinking glasses on the sidewalk in the lightning tracks.

BTW this sounds extremely uncomfortable LMAO!!

yes it is when you have a full floor and play one people start ducking until they realize it is a bad song.
deejdave 11:11 PM - 11 August, 2015
Quote:
start ducking

LMAO. "I'm Hit!!"
Gleb Budilovsky 1:29 PM - 7 January, 2016
I'm trying to convert my Serato Library to Rekordbox via Traktor. Unfortunately the N.I. SSL Importer is no longer up on N.I.'s site. Anyone have a link to where I could download it?
deejdave 5:22 PM - 7 January, 2016
I have it at home and can send u directly. Just be careful with wav files as that is where it messes up royally i found out.
DJ Sidies 9:12 PM - 7 January, 2016
Deejdave can you please send it to me
deejdave 12:24 AM - 8 January, 2016
I sent you both the links. Let me know if it worked. This is obviously for Mac only though sorry.
Gleb Budilovsky 3:39 AM - 8 January, 2016
You are the man!
Johnny H 1:25 PM - 8 January, 2016
hi guys

has anyone tried....

open both serato and rekordbox

create in rekord box a play list the same name as a crate in serato

in serato, hi-light all the tracks in the serato crate and then drag and drop them in to rekord box

in rekord box anyalise and you should be good to go.

the only thing rekord box does not show is tags and cover art stored in wav files, this should be fix in future releases so say poineer

the above solution is not 100% ideal but its a quick way to get a large amount music from serato crates in to rekord box

regards john
deejdave 5:10 PM - 8 January, 2016
Yes dragging from Rb to sdj obviously works as it is literally the same as simply clicking and dragging from folders or anywhere else for that matter.

What I am discussing is what I do. It enables you to have not only the same crates (folders) & sub crates (playlists) but also syncs the beat grids, keys, cue points, loops, comments.......... Literally just about everything. Not the easiest to do (at first) and it is obviously possible with Mac.

To be able to open traktor, ssl, itch, sdj, sdj intro, rekordbox, rekordbox dj, mixvibes, cross, virtual dj......... And a few others at any time and literally have the same exact library (cue points, loops, beat grids and ALL) is priceless imo.
katmoda 10:54 PM - 15 September, 2016
Hi, whomever has had success with the tractor DB exporter, may I ask what version of OS X are you running it on as when I use this method discussed in this thread:

"Use option "By folders" instead of "database" or "crates" then select "process sub crates" and de-select "overwrite cues/loops".

The tool runs for a second and completes but nothing is done. It doesn't error, but says complete... Obviously it hasn't really done the folders...

Now if I choose to do the "by crate" option, it will work, but I have a lot of them and would be such a tedious task to go through them 1 by 1.... less grief than re tagging but still.......

TIA
katmoda 10:56 PM - 15 September, 2016
I actually mean the program "Traktor SSL Database Importer" & not "tractor DB exporter"

Apologies
Kristian Valdini 6:20 AM - 16 September, 2016
Check out RekordBudy 2.0 - works perfectly for me since the mid beta's for moving between SDJ and RBDJ.

Mid size Library (15k), all with Cues / Loops carried over.

No need to mess around with the other options out there any longer.

K
katmoda 7:23 AM - 16 September, 2016
Quote:
Check out RekordBudy 2.0 - works perfectly for me since the mid beta's for moving between SDJ and RBDJ.

Mid size Library (15k), all with Cues / Loops carried over.

No need to mess around with the other options out there any longer.

K

Thanks

Will do ;-)
katmoda 2:13 PM - 16 September, 2016
Ok I took the advice and within a short time everything has been migrated to Recordbox apart from 20 or so AIFF files which is not such a big deal ;)

Great software is all I can say and certainly cuts out the messing about... Highly recommended.

Thanks
Kristian Valdini 5:56 PM - 17 September, 2016
Damien is the MAN... he took his time, but always kept people in the loop and looks like he is finally ready to drop this super handy tool for pretty much every DJ out there!

K
katmoda 6:05 PM - 17 September, 2016
K

Thanks for your advice - I am very pleased I took it :D
The software works as advertised and no complaints from me!

:D
mr187 7:50 PM - 15 November, 2016
Quote:
I actually mean the program "Traktor SSL Database Importer" & not "tractor DB exporter"

Apologies

stay as far away from that as possible or you'll be sorry if you don't have a backup of all your music. been there done that had a backup of 97% of my library.
dj_spark 9:08 PM - 18 February, 2018
Quote:
stay as far away from that as possible or you'll be sorry if you don't have a backup of all your music. been there done that had a backup of 97% of my library.

You obviously did something wrong because the "Traktor SSL Database Importer" is only reading the crates files, it doesn't write or modify them. Just did a 9000 songs databases without issues.

Here is a tutorial I've made : youtu.be
deejdave 2:23 PM - 19 February, 2018
While he certainly did something wrong the database tool was indeed messing up libraries (specifically file paths) for some. Easily avoidable though and prior to Rekord Buddy 2.0 it was essential.