Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato Remote vs. DDJ-SP1

DJ FreddyO 3:30 AM - 18 May, 2014
Hey guys. Currently running NS6, Akai LPD8, Windows 8. Was looking at the SP1 but saw that alot of the same functions you can do with serato remote. Plus all the features of having an iPad as well. After researching Remote more it seems to have a little more flexibility. What say you guys?
mixxinmel 4:23 PM - 23 May, 2014
Remote is always gonna evolve DDJ-SP1 what you got is what you got, that is my take on it.
thorissr 4:22 AM - 5 June, 2014
Quote:
Remote is always gonna evolve DDJ-SP1 what you got is what you got, that is my take on it.

True statement...although I luckily ended up getting a deal on a SP1 that I couldn't pass up although I didn't want one or wasn't looking to buy one. Anyway...some may look at it as overkill with 2 devices practically serving the same purpose. My SP1 sits centered above my mixer and Remote on the side of my left deck. I tend to keep my Sampler player open on the Remote because the buttons are labeled and provides me with quick info that I would otherwise have to memorize (24 changing samples/drops).

The SP1 is more centric to my setup due to being able to scroll through my library and access to all 6 effects at one time. BTW...this is with a mixer/TT setup. When I spin with my controllers I solely use Remote.

To sum it up, it all depends on a person's needs/setup. The more information the better, however if I were on a budget and already own a ipad I would jump on Remote in a heartbeat. If you dont own a ipad it would be a hard choice because ipad + Remote app equals if not exceeds the cost of the SP1 alone.
Jacques Lavoisier 9:43 AM - 2 August, 2014
I use them together and love it.
My set up is 2 x Numark V7 + DDJ-SP1 + Remote
Carlo_Dj 2:54 PM - 5 August, 2014
I also opt for Remote and is still happy with my purchase.Plus using my I-Pad all around.
armed98 4:08 PM - 19 August, 2014
I have both and SP1 is great but it can be a tight fit in certain DJ booth configurations and I don't like that I have to press sift to get to my saved loops (very minor gripe).So I use Remote on my Ipad mini if there are space constraints in the booth setup.It would be great if Remote would allow for scrolling subcrates which I don't understand why that hasn't been added.All in all if you have an ipad you may just be better off purchasing Remote if it suits most of your workflow needs.
djcaba 6:31 AM - 23 January, 2015
I have Remote on my iPhone 5s running alongside my SP1 and Rane 61. I really only use the remote for the loop rolls - it has a nice GUI for the roll beat/counts with a combo effect as well. However, I noticed that if i use Remote to control cues, it will sometimes miss my mark if i'm pressing the cue buttons in 1/4 beat intervals. So i stick the the sp1 when it comes to cues. I also stick to the sp1 when it comes to effects, library scrolling, and sp6. The sp1 gives a dedicated sampler volume fader so i can add some cutting with the samples (nice effect). Also i just recently unlocked flip functionality with the sp1 (it should have been a free firmware upgrade and not cost additional fees imho.. Pssh serato dj "in-app" purchases. Stop milking me...)

Like someone said earlier: the Remote will have updates for free hopefully, while the sp1 is limited to itself.

There's a rumor that the sp2 is coming out soon, too! Though i hope one day remote will accomodate all the features of the sp1 - including flip.

Until then, I'll stick with my sp1. Possibly upgrade ti the sp2.