Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Memory Upgrade

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
Dj Strap 5:15 PM - 6 March, 2009
I must first say that this forum has been very helpful for me....as I'm no computer wizard but with everyone here help I've been good. Now, I currently have for memory 512mb I just ordered 2gb of memory....before I install the new memory how do i ensure i dont lose any of my crates or music or the serato program. I plan to let a professional install the memory but is there anything I should do before i get there
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:20 PM - 6 March, 2009
If you have an external HD or a flash drive, make a copy of your ScratchLIVE and your ScratchLIVE Backup folders. Those tell the software how to populate the information.
Anonymo 8:28 PM - 6 March, 2009
A side note, it seems that you are upgrading your memory (RAM) and not your storage (HardDisc) so you would not lose any saved information whatsoever. So no worries!

(RAM depends on your computer to be on and powered to store information so when you turn off the power your RAM is always deleted, where your HardDisc does not require a power source to retain your data)
Rane, Support
Chad S. 9:12 PM - 6 March, 2009
cool, thanks for the clarification. I'm not that savvy on adding / replacing computer parts. When in doubt BACKUP! ;)
Laz219 12:08 PM - 7 March, 2009
Never hurts to back up huh? :)

Anyway, RAM is barely ever an issue. Installation is quite literally as simple as finding the empty port and pushing the RAM into it, that's all there is too it. Although if you are uncomfortable playing around inside your computer you may as well get it done for you. You certainly won't lose any music by upgrading RAM- RAM is a 'live' memory used to store information for programs to run, nothing is ever permanently saved in the RAM.