Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

controlvinyl delay, bad sound (cruckle while slow play vinyl) and more

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Rane SL3
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
jay.needz 8:58 PM - 5 May, 2014
Hey,
I have some problems with the SL 3 (newest firmware).
I was using SL1 with scratch live 2.5 since years. now, I got the SL3 an installed also Serato DJ.

I have 4 Problems:

1. a few times, the delay was about 2 seconds, like a gum. I restarted S DJ and the Problem was gone.

2. in the mid of my set the second dicer controller turned of. I had to quit S DJ, unplug dicer, replug, restart S DJ, it worked again.

3. When playing Musik with Serato DJ, I have sounds like it was a real vinyl (a crackle); When I use Scratch live, the sound is clear and there is no Problem.

Then I thought, OK, I will use scratch live until you fixed the Bugs... but now here is Problem No. 4:

4. I use Garageband for recording. In the Mac prefs I can choose SL3 as Input. No Problem with Serato DJ. But whenever I start scratch live, the SL3 automatically erases and the input switches to internal microphone. So, when I want to record with SL3, it is only possible with Serato DJ, but Serato DJ has a bad sound an some other bugs, that make it bad to use...

can you help me? The biggest problem for me is the bad sound (I recorded it, so if you want to, I can upload it.)

I use:
SL 3 (latest firmware 2.5)
Serato DJ 1.62
Scratch live 2.5
MB pro 13; 10.9.2, 2,7 i7, 8GB, SSD
Dicer

Thank you form germany!
Jay

I also posted my problem here, was not shure how I could reach you better...serato.com
8:59 PM, 5 May 2014
jay.needz attached a file: Jneedz-knistern.mp3
Download· Permalink
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:55 PM - 6 May, 2014
Hey Jay,

Quote:
1. a few times, the delay was about 2 seconds, like a gum. I restarted S DJ and the Problem was gone.

This is a known issue. The workaround is to go to the Setup screen and move the USB audio buffer making sure to press 'apply' once moved.
Serato is aware of this issue and is working on it.
Quote:
2. in the mid of my set the second dicer controller turned of. I had to quit S DJ, unplug dicer, replug, restart S DJ, it worked again.

Not sure why this happened. Simply unplugging and replugging didn't fix it?
Try this:

Shut down SDJ.
Open the Music folder on your internal drive.
Open the _Serato_ folder.
Open the Midi folder.
Delete the Autosave.xml file.
Now re-open SSL and give it a test.

Quote:
3. When playing Musik with Serato DJ, I have sounds like it was a real vinyl (a crackle); When I use Scratch live, the sound is clear and there is no Problem.

This sounds like a simple calibration issue.
Read here on how to properly calibrate your decks --> serato.com (its the same process in SDJ)

Quote:
4. I use Garageband for recording. In the Mac prefs I can choose SL3 as Input. No Problem with Serato DJ. But whenever I start scratch live, the SL3 automatically erases and the input switches to internal microphone. So, when I want to record with SL3, it is only possible with Serato DJ, but Serato DJ has a bad sound an some other bugs, that make it bad to use...

Scratch Live uses a proprietary driver which "steals" the device once the program is open.
At that point no other program can use the SL3 as a sound card.
SDJ does not use this proprietary driver and can be used as a sound card with any other Core Audio compatible software while SDJ is open.
I would suggest using the record feature in SSL if you want to record your set --> serato.com
jay.needz 9:05 AM - 8 May, 2014
Hey Zach,
thank you for your immediately support - thats why I love Rane/Serato, thanks!

1. OK, I will wait for the bug fix

2. I'll try this, if it happens again

3. I calibrated the decks exactly that way before I had the Problem, did it twice with no effect. But it seems like the crackle is gone(or less) when I turn of the "key lock"...

4. Thanks, that was what I thought, my hope was that that could be switched of.So far, I will take an extra cable from my amp and use the Line in on my MB...

Thanx from Hamburg, Germany
jay.needz 3:37 PM - 8 May, 2014
Hey Zach,
sorry, me again:
- I tried again to calibrate, no positiv result; Also the "key lock" function is not the reason.

I recorded a few minutes from the same song
a) with SSL 2.50 (clear sound, perfekt without any cruckle)
b) with SDJ 1.62 (it sounds like an original vinyl cruckle)

please compare both.
I used a new control vinyl (first use) an ortofon djqbert system, used only a few hours. tried also with other control vinyl and with shure m44/7; no difference.

Than you,

Jan
3:37 PM, 8 May 2014
jay.needz attached a file: using ssl 250.mp3
Download· Permalink
3:38 PM, 8 May 2014
jay.needz attached a file: using SDJ 162.mp3
Download· Permalink
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:13 PM - 8 May, 2014
Try boosting the USB audio buffer in both the Setup screen of SDJ and within the SL3's Preference Pane via System Preferences.
jay.needz 7:00 PM - 8 May, 2014
That was helpful - I think its a resource Problem;
When I quit Garageband, it seems, that I have enough Power

Modellname: MacBook Pro
Modell-Identifizierung: MacBookPro8,1
Prozessortyp: Intel Core i7
Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 2,7 GHz
Anzahl der Prozessoren: 1
Gesamtanzahl der Kerne: 2
L2-Cache (pro Kern): 256 KB
L3-Cache: 4 MB
Speicher: 8 GB

Now with Rane SL3 10ms Audio Buffer and SDJ 1 (more than 2 was not possible, when I sized it up, nothing worked) the cruckle is gone(when only SDJ is started) - is my MB to week for using Garageband at the same time?

Anyway, thank you Zach! Maybe the next version of SDJ is a little bit more undemanding :)
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:01 PM - 8 May, 2014
Yes.. SDJ is CPU intensive.
Having other programs open at the same time is not recommended.
Is there a reason why you are using Garageband at the same time?
jay.needz 7:36 PM - 8 May, 2014
Ah ok, yes, I use Garageband for recording Mixtapes - I record every Track / Sound / Scratch as a single Track, so I can edit or replace everything an arrange it later....

My System Monitor says that I have enough CPU Power, maximal 30% in use, the same with the RAM (max 4 of 8 GB in use...)

Maybe it is a special problem with Garageband - because Garageband also uses Core Audio?
7:42 PM, 8 May 2014
jay.needz attached a file: Garageband.tiff
Download· Permalink
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:45 PM - 8 May, 2014
Ok.. right.

Ya.. your computer may just not be able to handle using both programs at the same time.
jay.needz 8:56 PM - 8 May, 2014
Ok... thank you very much for your support zach.

So for recording at home I will use SSL and while I'm just mixing music I'll find out all the features of SDJ :)
Thanx and bye bye
Jan
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:09 PM - 8 May, 2014
Always happy to help:)