Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Crashing

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
Dj Strap 11:45 PM - 24 February, 2009
I recently had my laptop crash on me Two times on two different nights at the highlight of the party. The first time is when the other dj handed me the usb cable from his laptop and i loaded a hype song as soon as I played it BAM! my laptop gave me a message to restart my computer, never happened to me before and I've been rocking for almost a year wit serato. The second time was just last week and right in the middle of my set BAM! Got the same message this time it read Scrathlive quit unexpectly, restart your computer, Why is this happening? I have a Mac powerbook g4 1.67g 512mb, should I add more memory or maybe use a power adapter?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 12:46 AM - 25 February, 2009
Have you built overviews on all of your music?

Your computer is under specs. The RAM is at half of what we suggest for a minimum. Adding some will help. Is it a dual core processor?

Have you had it ever crash on you when putting in or taking out the USB cord before?
Dj Strap 3:06 PM - 25 February, 2009
Yes, Everytime i add music i build the overviews, Always...I was planning to add more memory i think the max for my model is 2gb. No it's not a dual core it's an older model and no It never crashed before i just started having problems when i upgraded to the newer version before that, no problems at all
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:37 PM - 25 February, 2009
What happens if you go back to the old version? Which version was it?
Dj Strap 4:46 PM - 25 February, 2009
I think it was the 1.81 im now using the1.83 and how do i go back to the old version? it's stiil is an lcon on my screen
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:42 PM - 25 February, 2009
try the icon you have or if not you can follow the link below and download it.

scratchlive.net
Dj Strap 5:41 AM - 20 October, 2009
Ok I just began having issues again with the crashing. I was djing a set and in the middle of the set the music just stopped and I recieved a message stating "scratch live quit unexpectdley" and if gave me the option to reopen so I clicked reopen the serato screen came backup but it stated it couldn't find my itunes files so I closed out reopened and everything reappeared then it happened again same deal, reopened and continued then the next day I uploaded new tracks and when I started building overviews scratch live quit with no hardware hooked up so i closed and reopened proceeded with buliding overviews again and it happened again so I didnt finish the overviews and just started practing with the hardware then I noticed when one deck is playing and I load another song to the opposite deck my waveforms stutter real bad and the playing deck is effected, i've always noticed my waveforms were always quaky a friend thinks I may dont have enough virtual memory, Im worried that i may have too much music stored
Rane, Support
Chad S. 3:57 PM - 20 October, 2009
How much free space do you have left on your drives?

Crashing while building ovreviews usually means a bad or corrupt file. If you ignore that and don't finish and decide to play, it could be that bad / corrupt file that is causing it to crash. That is the #1 reason for crashes.

And unless you doubled your RAM, the computer isn't at our minimum specs.
Dj Strap 12:12 AM - 6 November, 2009
i have 36.05gb of free space left how do i go about finding the corrupt files?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:23 PM - 6 November, 2009
Building the overviews will help you find the bad / corrupt files.

If the overview builder keeps crashing, you can check the "overview builder.log" file and see which is the last file it was building. Remove that file and then continue.