Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Filter Library by BPM Range

lindsaymar 10:34 PM - 29 April, 2014
Above the library window it would be *very* useful to have a BPM Filter button that when enabled will show only tracks in your library between a certain BPM range.
That way when you search or order your library with the BPM filter enabled every track that is displayed will be within a mixable BPM. Then you can concentrate on searching for more suitable songs to play. This BPM range could also be updated automatically by SDJ as you load tracks and change tempo.

To take it a step further the new Beatport Pro has a *choice of filters* that can be selected by drop down menus above the library window. Each 'filter drop down menu' giving you a choice of what you wish to filter your list by. That way you can choose filter 1 to be a BPM range and filter 2 to be Harmonic Key. Right there you are positively narrowing down your choice of tracks tremendously.

Traktor has had a BPM range filter for so long. I'm surprised that Serato hasn't done it yet. It's something that almost every single dj would use.

What do you think?
Dj MacMillz 12:09 AM - 30 April, 2014
Smart crates can do just that.

Also just sort by bpm in the library and you will have the results you require. As for an automated selection for you, NO, the closest thing to that is indeed smart crates with the specific rules...

I actually have some bpm range smart crates and with a combination of code method I use, I can narrow down my selection (by genre and bpm range) to have enough of a variety without getting stale or playing the same thing over & over.
Rob J 2:59 AM - 30 April, 2014
I keep all my club tracks in BPM order, from slowest to fastest (top to bottom). I'll second that just a click on the BPM header does the trick to sort them for you. Give it a shot!

- Rob J
lindsaymar 1:50 PM - 30 April, 2014
Hey MacMillz

I also use smart crates (actually itunes smart playlists) to organize by bpm range and then I have sub-smart-playlists within the bpm-smart-playlists for genre groups. It's a great work around but it's still a work around. It does create a long list of crates/folders that I have to scroll through. If we had a BPM range filter we could then use our smart crates for a little more depth in our narrowing down of our library. BPM is just such a crucial element I'd like it to be a click of a button, not a scroll and find. It would just be such a quicker work flow.
lindsaymar 1:13 PM - 24 May, 2014
Hey Rob J

Rather than 'wasting' a search function (ordering my list by bpm), I'd rather use list order on ordering by genre, key, energy other more feeling based catagories. And have something as rudimentary as bpm be a library filter. I may be crossing more genres/bpm's in my mixes which makes every little search function that I can take advantage of important.

Also I saw Cross DJ or Mixvibes has the ability to change the colour of your tracks, in your library, that are harmonically compatible with your current playing track. That sounds like a great idea to me. As well.
DJ Compiler 1:47 PM - 24 May, 2014
I think the browse tab can be revamped to do what you're asking. Currently it only lets you select a single parameter as a filter but I think the ability to select a range would be a bigger improvement
Jumbo Boogie 2:20 PM - 24 May, 2014
I'm not sure what exactly what you mean. Are you asking for something like the BPM range drop-down menu similar to the offline player....only instead when the Serato is online this BPM range type menu is used to display only the BPM range selected?

Personally I prefer to do a search as I'm usually only looking for tracks within a +/- 3 bpm of the current song that's being played...so a drop down menu for me would not be very usefull if the range is more then +/- 3. If that range could be customizable to any value and we can map buttons to scroll through that range without having to touch the laptop

+ all in
DJ Tony-Mac 4:42 AM - 5 June, 2014
In SL all have to do is highlight BPM and type in the count. Why not in SDJ?
lindsaymar 6:53 PM - 23 July, 2014
Hey Jumbo Boogie

I was thinking it would be great to have the amount of BPM range (whether +/-3 bpm or +/- 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 BPM or whatever) be selectable within the Setup menu. That way there will be a [BPM Range] button at the top of the library window. When selected it will only show tracks within that range pre-selected in your setup menu (I personally would like a +/-4BPM.). That way you can then use whatever searching technique you have without having to worry about tracks you're searching being within a mixable BPM range.

The BPM range filter could be used by everyone without any negative.
DJ Compiler 8:50 PM - 23 July, 2014
Or instead of an actual bpm do + or - a percentage of the bpm
lindsaymar 1:49 AM - 24 July, 2014
Dj Compiler, that's not a bad idea. I'm mainly going by what Traktor has which I imagine would be the easiest way to implement it (Traktor shows a magnifying glass symbol/button above their library for filtering by bpm range.) But I would have no issue if I could filter the library by a bpm range set by a certain percentage between your currently playing deck.
lindsaymar 6:45 PM - 3 August, 2014
This link is to a pic of the Beatport Pro library filtering system. It's showing Genre, Mood, BPM, and Key all being filtered at the same time. Now that would be my dream scenario!
Being able to add from a selection of filters like that would be great... I'd still be really happy with just bpm.... and maybe key :)

cloudjockey.me
djchrisL 11:43 PM - 27 December, 2014
+1
lindsaymar 8:05 PM - 19 March, 2015
Pioneer's Rekordbox 'Related Tracks' function with the 'customize criteria' ability is also a good example of library filtering. Although I'd still like the BPM to be separated from the Key filter.
And for the Key section of the GUI to allow to filter whether you want to see *all keys*, *exact keys* or next key *up* or *down*.

About halfway down this djtechtools article is a good pic of the "Customize Criteria" window:
www.djtechtools.com
Entro 6:00 PM - 20 March, 2015
Quote:
I think the browse tab can be revamped to do what you're asking. Currently it only lets you select a single parameter as a filter but I think the ability to select a range would be a bigger improvement

+1 on this. The Browse tab is almost useless as it is. It should be Genre > BPM Range > Compatible Keys.

That way you can quickly filter from your entire collection instead of creating long unruly lists of smart crates. (Of course, being able to nest smart crates would help too).
lindsaymar 9:25 PM - 20 March, 2015
Hey NDKelly
Does your name stand for Ned Kelley? That's great (That's my mums nickname for me :)
Am I missing something about the browse window. How would you ask for a bpm range? I do sometimes use the browse to search for key. It works OK except 1) I'd like to have the choice for the library to show everything in the key *range* and 2) When searching, say, 2A Serato will show tracks tagged with 12A as well as 2A which isn't the cleanest way of searching.
Entro 2:51 PM - 24 March, 2015
Quote:
Does your name stand for Ned Kelley?

No, it's Nathan. :)

Quote:
Am I missing something about the browse window. How would you ask for a bpm range?

You can't. That's what I'm asking for. Currently you can browse by Genre, then it just gives you all the BPMs you have in that Genre. You can only select one at a time to browse. It would be more useful to have a range, like 120-125 and so on, so you can see tracks that are close to your currently playing one.

Quote:

I'd like to have the choice for the library to show everything in the key *range*

Precisely. Same as having a BPM range. Showing you compatible keys to the currently playing track would be awesome. Or they could go the Mixvibes route and highlight tracks in the library view that are compatible.
lindsaymar 12:33 AM - 31 March, 2015
Hey NDKelly

I understand what you mean by the bpm range. We're on the same page.
The way Mixvibes highlights tracks for keys may also be a good option. I like that.
... And Ned Kelly was an Australian outlaw that used a steel armor suit for robbery's back around 1900 :)

Lindsay
lindsaymar 6:55 PM - 19 February, 2017
If I'm going to be using Smart Crates for bpm ranges I think another way of making that system work easier would be the *first* time you hit Command+F (Find/Search) Serato searches within your current Crate. The *second* time you hit Command+F Serato (kicks you out of your current crate &) searches your entire library.

As it currently works Command+F only searches your entire library. If you want to search in your current crate you have to click in the search field.

I know it sounds trivial but I'm an avid searcher as I play and I need the search process to be as quick as possible.

... Of course a BPM Range option would be the preferred route.