Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Fail To Connect Audio

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Rane SL3
Computer
PC
OS
Windows 8.1
Platform
-
DJDARKSHADOW - #TW13 9:41 PM - 28 April, 2014
Everytime I Connect My SL3 To My Computer The Interface Changes For A Second & Then Says ' Fail to connect audio '
Serato, Support
Rui K 11:00 PM - 29 April, 2014
Hi DJDARKSHADOW - #TW13,

Thanks for get in touch with us.
It sounds like you may have the incorrect Windows audio setting selected.

Try following the below steps.

1. Close Serato DJ.
2. Plug in your hardware directly to your computers USB port and power it on.
3. Click the Windows START button and search "SOUND".
4. Open the SOUND preference window.
5. Navigate to the PLAYBACK tab.
6. Make sure your LAPTOP/SPEAKERS are set as the DEFAULT playback device.
7. Launch Serato DJ.

Please let me know how it go.

Kind Regards
Rui
10:09 PM, 10 Jun 2014
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
DJDARKSHADOW - #TW13 6:53 PM - 16 July, 2014
I'm Still Having This Problem... Nothing Different Has Happened
paparonio 5:51 PM - 7 October, 2014
Did this issue get resolved? I have the same issue. Tried what Serato said to do, still not working.
DJ Charlie Spriggs 5:14 PM - 4 December, 2014
I've been having this issue for months...Finally said screw it and went back to SSL...I found by clearing the %temp% files helped...Something was locked up in there that helped once...Try creating a new user profile on your computer that fixes it some times...Also if you go to your Rane driver in control panel flip it from USB to AUX I believe I'm at work so I can't tell you exactly what it was, When I did that it fixed it temporarily....

But I've been dealing with this for months...They blamed it on the Rane drivers...Called Rane they couldn't help...

Another note is SL3 or the Rane boxes don't support USB 3.0 so turning your USB 3.0 to 2.0 in the bios helps.

Serato you should hire me for tech support I've helped tons of your customers with this issue...Still no fix but just a work around until you can tell us what fixes it!

Thanks
Love
Charlie
DJ Charlie Spriggs 5:16 PM - 4 December, 2014
Note I have an i7 with 16gbs of ram...I know my computer can run this software...If it worked right...I'm having multiple drop outs and all kinds of stuff....Pitch N Time slows stuff way down...Don't try using FX with it on...Might crash your software...
paparonio 5:23 PM - 4 December, 2014
I have called serato and rane. Neither could help me. This issue sucks. I cannot use my new laptop with my sl3. Its weird because the screen flashes with the 2 decks and disappears in a second with the error message. I created a second user and it worked for about a week before the error message started to show again.
DJ Charlie Spriggs 5:32 PM - 4 December, 2014
Same here...For a temp work around try flipping the rane drive from USB to AUX close it open SDJ see if it changes anything then if it does try flipping it back to USB...I would not recommend anyone using the Rane Boxes use SDJ...Which is BS because I bought the DDJ SP1 and I can't even use it right because I can't use it with SDJ...I have a midi map for scratch live and it basically does the trick...But it's being used the way it was supposed because I can't use SDJ...Not to mention the plugins I've bought and can't use...Thanks Serato...
paparonio 5:47 PM - 4 December, 2014
I'll try that out DJ Charlie Springs. Temporary fixes scare me when it comes to gigs. They told me there was a new SDJ beta out. Haven't tried it. Only thing saving me is my DDJ-SX. No issues with that at all. Honestly, I don't want to use that all the time. What's the point in having SL3 of you can't use it.
DJ Charlie Spriggs 5:51 PM - 4 December, 2014
Yeah I don't even use SDJ for gigs anymore and I hardly even play with it anymore unless I'm bored...I'm waiting on the new final release...I doubt there will be a fix for this though...Because all of the prior versions of final versions have the same issues. I think its a driver issue really. Something to do with the Rane drivers...But Rane hasn't helped out very much
paparonio 5:54 PM - 4 December, 2014
I agree with you. Driver issue for sure. Are you able to use a older version of SSL? You might have already said that. If so, what version?
DJ Charlie Spriggs 6:01 PM - 4 December, 2014
SSL works fine for all versions that's why I've been using SSL instead of SDJ, totally stable! They did a great job with SSL...But with SDJ...I just don't think for the Rane users it was ready...I haven't seen anyone using a Mac have this issue...So it might be directly tied to Windows...What version of windows are you using?
paparonio 6:09 PM - 4 December, 2014
I can't use SSL either. Damn it. Im seriously out of commission with my turntables. Says failed to install drivers.
DJ Charlie Spriggs 6:11 PM - 4 December, 2014
Uninstall all of it, SDJ, SSL and the Rane Drivers. Then reinstal SSL
paparonio 6:12 PM - 4 December, 2014
Tried It already. I'll try it again.
paparonio 6:15 PM - 4 December, 2014
I have no idea why it will not work. My computer says it works, but SSL and SDJ say otherwise.
DJ Charlie Spriggs 6:20 PM - 4 December, 2014
Try another user account on windows and tell me what it does
paparonio 6:28 PM - 4 December, 2014
I've done that before also. It worked... for a week.
I'll tell you how it stopped. When I first bought the laptop I installed sdj and ssl to make sure both my sl3 and sx worked. They did. Month goes by, in the garage spinning, and to leave for a minute, closed the lid to my laptop. Came back and nothing.

I ended up getting it to work by creating a new user account on the same laptop. Same thing. In the mix and had to leave for a few. Closed the lid and now this.

I didn't think anything of closing the lid because i did it a 1000 times with my mac.
DJ Charlie Spriggs 6:43 PM - 4 December, 2014
BINGO! Finally someone else is having the same thing happen...It's a lock file...I've been telling them that....I did the same thing at a gig I was done DJing for a while and let another DJ take over...I shut my lid and went back to the software and I got the error...Luckily SSL worked for me...Try clearing your temp flies on windows... Stop, save and close everything your working on when you get a chance. Go to Windows key>Run>%temp% Delete everything in there. You might get an error saying something can't be deleted thats because their running..But that fixed it one time for me...I swear its a lock file thats not being deleted
paparonio 7:04 PM - 4 December, 2014
Wow, what a trip! I briefly mentioned that to seraro and rane when i was on the phone with them. They never mentioned anything about that. I'll try what you said when I get home today. Might even give rane a call again. Still odd that you can use ssl and I can't.
DJ Tracy G. 6:26 PM - 10 December, 2014
not sure if this is your issue...
I could use my USB 3.0 port on SSL. Since I moved to SDJ, I can only use one of the USB 2.0 ports on my Windows laptop. SSL doesn't care which USB port I use.
DJ Charlie Spriggs 6:37 PM - 10 December, 2014
I've switched from 3.0 to 2.0 in the bios but it didn't change anything for me.
Deejay Rich 4:57 PM - 4 August, 2015
I have this same problem with the 62 mixer I get a failed connect audio and it happens only when I connect SDJ first and then connect the 62 to my mac. plugin my 62 mixer first then open SDJ it works fine I don't what's causing the problem.
slyxdevil 4:52 PM - 7 October, 2015
Ok I just bought a pioneer ddj sx2. And my computer windows 7pro service pack 64bit I 7,processor 8 gb ram dell... Won't see the sound card in the ddj. Every other crappies pc I have tried it on it has worked! Help been working on this since Friday morning.
stanlee 4:43 PM - 2 November, 2015
I've just had this happen at the weekend with my SL3. Working okay one minute & then lost my virtual decks & it's been saying "failed to connect to audio" since.
Nothing has changed in my set up.
The only thing that has changed is that I updated to 1.8 last week.
mooncutz 2:58 PM - 9 November, 2015
Quote:
I've just had this happen at the weekend with my SL3. Working okay one minute & then lost my virtual decks & it's been saying "failed to connect to audio" since.
Nothing has changed in my set up.
The only thing that has changed is that I updated to 1.8 last week.

i have a same problem too..please help me
JAMES TSAO 2:31 AM - 11 November, 2015
help me! i got the sam issue
slyxdevil 3:22 PM - 11 November, 2015
I had to buy a new pc to fix the problem. Same model number I have already!
DJ Little Nemo 12:17 PM - 18 November, 2015
This is fuckin insane

i have the same problem with my brand new latptop - Windows 10 fresh install
Serato DJ 1.8
Rane SL3 updated with the latest firmware (2.5)

And IT DOES NOT WORK ! Serato DJ recognized the SL3 'connected' but i have this f*** error: failed to connect audio.
I have several gigs this weekend and can't use my laptop

this is just ridiculous to spend all this money and years in serato to come to this point;

As i am not alone, i guess this is a serious problem with Rane and Serato. Obviously each one says it is the fault of the other
great job, guys.

Anyway, SERATO : is there a way to bypass activation serato Dj with Rane SL3 , i guess it could be a problem with an activation or smthg, because sderato DJ sees my Rane SL3 as connected.

Hope you have a solution guys, because you are losing a LOT OF customers, this is so ridiculous !
DJ Little Nemo 12:22 PM - 18 November, 2015
HEY GUYS

*** PROBLEM SOLVED HERE ****

as i tried many stupid things to make things work :
on my laptop (lenovo), i switch the power management to 'Low performance' to 'Full performances';
and now it's working !

I guess on some laptops, windows must change the way it manages the USB port
On 'Full performances', it might be that the USB port are full powered or do not switch off .

i doin't know why, but it works fine now.
Samuel Andres 1:02 PM - 18 November, 2015
Thanks DJ Little Nemo....question though:

Did you mean to say "switch FROM Low Performance TO High Performance?"

And I assume you mean power management in the Control Panel options, correct?

I have a Lenovo as well so this might help me.

Let me know.

Thanks.

Samuel
slyxdevil 2:19 PM - 18 November, 2015
My computer was a desktop unit. No fix. Bought a new pc same model worked fine. Won't work on my other pc though very odd
lacedj 3:05 AM - 21 November, 2015
I was having problems getting serato scratch live to recognize my sl3 in windows 10.

Sometimes I would either get the "failed to connect message" and my soundcard would not light up or my soundcard would show to be connected but the decks would not pop up and the program would remain in preview mode.

What I found to work was to uninstall the driver, then launch the serato scratch program in administrator mode and let it find the interface which it seems to only do when running in this mode. It then reinstalled the driver correctly and now it works.

I don't have to launch the program in administrator mode every time I use it. Just that first time to let scratch install the driver. Now I just launch it normally and it finds my interface every time.
PSA 11:12 PM - 26 November, 2015
I'm having this issue too; Win 10 64 bit, SL3, Serato 1.8.

Everything worked fine until a few hours ago, now SDJ "fails to connect". SSL working, very odd.
PSA 11:14 PM - 26 November, 2015
Incidentally, tried everything suggested on this thread. Still no luck.
slyxdevil 2:19 AM - 27 November, 2015
Serato had no answer so I left now using rekordbox dj
paparonio 11:38 PM - 27 November, 2015
I bought a new laptop. the laptop i had was a Lenovo. got rid of it and bought a new macbook pro. no issues with the mac. i had a hell of a time trying to diagnose the problem. i tried everything.
Samuel Andres 4:27 PM - 28 November, 2015
The only thing that fixed the issue was using an odd suggestion from the online forums: open the SL3 device control panel and increase the buffer size to the maximum amount and reopen SDJ. THAT IS WHAT WORKED! I have no idea why. After getting it to work again, I have since decreased the buffer size to a normal amount 10ms and it continues to function normally.

This is a concern though because I'm not confident that the issue won't happen again.
ystokes54 2:27 PM - 30 November, 2015
I've tried a few of these suggestions and nothing has worked. I thought maybe something was wrong with my sl3 at first. I too have gigs coming up and depend on SDJ along with my SP1...now I can't use it. I really hope this isue is fixed really soon
Bana 8:41 AM - 4 December, 2015
I have Windows 10 and SDJ with Rane SL3
Everything was working fine but all of the sudden just before I had to mix I got the same audio fail.
I switched to Scratch Live and got the job done.
After getting back and trying to figure out why SDJ didn't work, I tried a few things and upgrading my SL3 did the job. I just fixed it so I don't know if it will keep on working but so far so good.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:22 PM - 7 December, 2015
This isn't sounding like an issue with the SL3 but rather something on Windows or Serato's side. I would suggest posting this in the SDJ help section to get it in front of Serato.

Know that Scratch Live is not compatible with Windows 10.
Kennerve 3:44 PM - 10 December, 2015
Just tried using my spare Lenovo Laptop, on Windows 10, SDJ 1.8, SL3. Managed to get it work after the initial problem "fail to connect to audio". Here's the solution.

1) Download the SL3 driver from Rane's website - SL3 ASIO Driver for Windows 1.3.5f2 (8.06MB) 05 September 2014

dj.rane.com

2) Go to "Hardware and Sound" on your control panel.

3) Select and click on "Rane SL3". You should see the SL3 Audio Driver Panel pop-up small windows. It will prompt you to connect to SL3.

4) Then connect your SL3 device through the USB port.

4) Update the device firmware version if you haven't. It should be version 2.50.

5) On the right side, you can control the buffer size. Move to 30ms or more.

6) Open SDJ. It should work fine now.
bobby noodlez 7:38 PM - 22 December, 2015
this el capo is doing my nut in
i can't roll back my macbook as its brand new with el capo bull on it
my sly don't work I've been using record box for 2 weeks now
help
PSA 11:11 AM - 23 December, 2015
Never got the Windows 10 machine back up and running with the SL3, so reformatted my old MBP, and tried to get the SL3 working with El Capitan. Again, loads of problems, I really don't think Serato have tested extensively with the new OS's. Serato support hasn't managed to help, and just points us to all of the stock documents, which obviously we tried on day 1 of having issues and have repeated several times since to no avail. Last night we had 3 laptops and 3 different interfaces, we could only find one permutation that worked (MBP on 10.10 & SL3), even then it's using the DVS 14 day trial so it'll clap out on us. Serato problems now take up a significant amount of time and make shows difficult, on the same system if we switch to Mixxx everything works fine with the DVS and SL3.

After years of happy DJing with Serato we're now considering our next move, the platform no longer seems reliable.
bobby noodlez 6:43 PM - 23 December, 2015
Quote:
Never got the Windows 10 machine back up and running with the SL3, so reformatted my old MBP, and tried to get the SL3 working with El Capitan. Again, loads of problems, I really don't think Serato have tested extensively with the new OS's. Serato support hasn't managed to help, and just points us to all of the stock documents, which obviously we tried on day 1 of having issues and have repeated several times since to no avail. Last night we had 3 laptops and 3 different interfaces, we could only find one permutation that worked (MBP on 10.10 & SL3), even then it's using the DVS 14 day trial so it'll clap out on us. Serato problems now take up a significant amount of time and make shows difficult, on the same system if we switch to Mixxx everything works fine with the DVS and SL3.

After years of happy DJing with Serato we're now considering our next move, the platform no longer seems reliable.

What's mixxxx tell me more
EMBE Classic 3:55 PM - 27 December, 2015
#push. Have the same Problem !

Lenovo W10, SDJ, Failed to connect audio !
To change Windows sound driver to default doesnt help !!!
All drivers updated and reinstalled !

YOU CANT FIX THIS PROBLEM FOR OVER A YEAR ?? WTF SERATO???
Frank smooth 11:00 PM - 30 December, 2015
Moving The buffer to 30 ms worked!!!!!!!
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:47 PM - 31 December, 2015
Everyone having this problem should downgrade SDJ to 1.7.6.
Please report back once you have.
AYANX #234 10:36 PM - 3 January, 2016
i`ve downgrade to 1.7.6 but still failed connect with SL3
but my ddj-sx work on SDJ 1.7.6 - 1.8.1

what should i do ??
Serato, Support
Aaron E 9:01 PM - 5 January, 2016
Hey all

If you are having connection issues with Serato DJ, please try the steps in the appropriate article below:

Windows: support.serato.com

Mac: support.serato.com

Connection issues can happen for a wide variety of reasons; from hardware and cabling, to OS, computer hardware, and software. As each case can be happening for a different reason, it's best to troubleshoot individually.

If you continue to have an issue after trying all the steps in the troubleshooting article, please open a help request by clicking the green button at: support.serato.com

Thanks, Aaron
ninjagaijin 9:06 PM - 16 January, 2016
Quote:
This isn't sounding like an issue with the SL3 but rather something on Windows or Serato's side. I would suggest posting this in the SDJ help section to get it in front of Serato.

Know that Scratch Live is not compatible with Windows 10.

SSL works fine on Win 10. SDJ isn't working on Win 7, or Win 10. This stupid failed to connect hardware crap, you seem to be ignoring. 1.8 + 1.81.FIX IT FFS.
ninjagaijin 10:12 PM - 16 January, 2016
Changing Rane control panel setting for latency + USB/Audio helped for a minute. Restart program and issue persists. Fixed a couple of times with control panel. Now it won't work at all.

Seems to be a temp file issue too maybe. I'll try clearing everything, although ccleaner didn't help.

Although SSL always works and I have a dual boot, so it's not a user/temp issue. I mean, apart from being an *SDJ* issue.
Serato, Support
Aaron E 2:28 AM - 18 January, 2016
Hey ninjagaijin

Sorry if you've already stated this, but is this a persistent issue for you? By that I mean, you almost always can't bring SDJ online, and sometimes you can using the driver utility, but not often?

It may also seem really basic, but you have the issue on all available USB ports? Have you updated your USB drivers to be sure there isn't an issue there?

Aaron
Qbaas 8:10 PM - 28 January, 2016
Bought a second hand SL3 and had same problem after instal on windows10, increasing buffer size, remove temp nothing worked. Someone here mentioned buffersize at 30 and that fixed it for me
ninjagaijin 2:26 AM - 29 January, 2016
Quote:
Hey ninjagaijin

Sorry if you've already stated this, but is this a persistent issue for you? By that I mean, you almost always can't bring SDJ online, and sometimes you can using the driver utility, but not often?

It may also seem really basic, but you have the issue on all available USB ports? Have you updated your USB drivers to be sure there isn't an issue there?

Aaron

Hi Aaron

Persistent - it never works, apart from the rare time I set buffer to 20 or 30 and it worked. Once or twice. Then as soon as restart the software or o/s it happens again to not connect. Then, the buffer thing doesn't work after that. Have tried different ports. I have latest drives for my laptop (Asus K52F, latest from Asus support - www.asus.com ) and have tried all three of my USB ports. I can't update the USB drivers as they are the latest. I heard to try version 1.7.6 again and will try this. It did work previously with older versions before 1.8. But not since. SSL still works fine. SSL works on Win 10 + Win 7 (dual boot), SDJ works on neither
ninjagaijin 2:27 AM - 29 January, 2016
I've also been given the runaround by a support guy called David White - it's been two weeks with three replies from myself without any help for this program except after a lot of detail to be told 'it's a known issue'
Serato, Support
Aaron E 1:26 AM - 2 February, 2016
Thanks for that info, that helps our investigation for sure.

Apologies for any feeling of getting the run around, we're still trying to get to the bottom of what is going on here and it seems like there may be two separate issues with the same symptom.

For you, it is clear that something we've changed in SDJ 1.8 has broken the audio connection. It's also clear that it's not broken for everyone so there is something happening between SDJ 1.8.x, the device driver, the utility, and your computer (and possibly others) that is leading to a misalignment not allowing the audio connection to work.

It's interesting that re-setting the buffer did work for you a couple of times but hasn't been reliable. Most users report that if moving the buffer works, it is then fixed for good. Can I ask you to confirm you are on the latest version (1.8.1)?

I'm going to talk to a few more people about this as I'm unclear what the root cause might be. Once I have more information, or steps to try, I'll get Dave to get back to you in your ticket.

I totally understand that this is really frustrating for you, but can I ask that you keep it civil in your communication with him. We are listening and trying to help.

Cheers, Aaron
C-Nice 7:21 AM - 7 February, 2016
I had the same issue pop up tonight. Tried a bunch of what is on the forum, but the steps below fixed it after I changed the settings. Only tested a few tracks, not sure if it's a permanent fix.

Changed the buffer size - was still not working
Changed from usb to analog in the sl3 sound system settings and back- fixed after this change
wartroniks 9:15 PM - 8 February, 2016
I am having a issue with my rane 62 making a huge white noise sound!!
Please check this link and help me!!!!

Watchwww.youtube.com
ninjagaijin 4:32 AM - 9 February, 2016
Quote:

Apologies for any feeling of getting the run around, we're still trying to get to the bottom of what is going on here and it seems like there may be two separate issues with the same symptom.

For you, it is clear that something we've changed in SDJ 1.8 has broken the audio connection. It's also clear that it's not broken for everyone so there is something happening between SDJ 1.8.x, the device driver, the utility, and your computer (and possibly others) that is leading to a misalignment not allowing the audio connection to work.

It's interesting that re-setting the buffer did work for you a couple of times but hasn't been reliable. Most users report that if moving the buffer works, it is then fixed for good. Can I ask you to confirm you are on the latest version (1.8.1)?

I'm going to talk to a few more people about this as I'm unclear what the root cause might be. Once I have more information, or steps to try, I'll get Dave to get back to you in your ticket.

I totally understand that this is really frustrating for you, but can I ask that you keep it civil in your communication with him. We are listening and trying to help.

Cheers, Aaron

I was using 1.81 but have removed it since no help getting it to work. I got 1.76 to work on WINDOWS 10 - but it insta-crashes windows 7. My support ticket that is getting no attention is: support.serato.com - it's been about a month since I started it with no help to fix this issue. Getting really, really upset about this. Serato DJ has NEVER worked and when putting in my support request, of course David White the first thing he does is ask me a question which I already answered in the first post/question I submit. I hate when people script or automate like this, to the point of not being able to read what you ask. Apparently he had 'no idea' what I was talking about with hardcore not connecting. I stick to SSL and get annoyed that you won't update or fix the bugs in that. SDJ has NEVER worked for me. It's a POS so far. Maybe 3.x version will worK!?
ninjagaijin 4:32 AM - 9 February, 2016
Quote:
I am having a issue with my rane 62 making a huge white noise sound!!
Please check this link and help me!!!!

Watchwww.youtube.com

The topic here is 'failed to connect to audio' not 'white noise sound'
ninjagaijin 4:34 AM - 9 February, 2016
I feel like if I had some bigger DJ name you would jump to help me. But because I am not publicly denouncing your company for hardware failure after being giving the runaround, I feel you do not care to fix this issue in a timely manner. No one should buy expensive hardware to then be unable to use it for months due to faulty software/driver. I feel like I wasted my money buying an SL3 5 years ago, considering I only got a couple of years of patched SSL usage and since then SSL has had no support and SDJ has never worked properly. Getting so fed up!
ninjagaijin 4:34 AM - 9 February, 2016
P.S. I got my SL3 serviced in August last year. So it's not the unit.
ninjagaijin 4:42 AM - 9 February, 2016
Quote:
Everyone having this problem should downgrade SDJ to 1.7.6.
Please report back once you have.

Aaron - I downgraded as suggested so I am not on 1.81 now. But it would not work whatever I did. The buffer/USB to Analog thing only worked ONCE.
ninjagaijin 4:43 AM - 9 February, 2016
Quote:

Cheers, Aaron

I don't think a buffer setting change would be a 'permanent' fix to this issue - there is a reason it happened, it will surely happen again
ninjagaijin 4:44 AM - 9 February, 2016
Like many others in this thread I am looking at alternatives now that this issue has dragged on so long. At first I thought I must be doing something wrong but that is what this SDJ software does to us - makes us question on sanity and bang our heads against the desks. Please stop marketing 'reliability' (I think you use some terms like 'rock solid reliability') until you get a build that does not have any issues...
wartroniks 6:08 AM - 9 February, 2016
HOW DO I START A NEW THREAD ABOUT MY WHITE NOISE ISSUE ON MY RANE 62 ?
ninjagaijin 2:19 PM - 9 February, 2016
ninjagaijin 2:19 PM - 9 February, 2016
Quote:
HOW DO I START A NEW THREAD ABOUT MY WHITE NOISE ISSUE ON MY RANE 62 ?

support.serato.com
Serato, Support
Aaron E 10:36 PM - 10 February, 2016
Hey ninjagaijin

Like I say, I can completely understand how frustrating this is for you, but we need to stay focussed and try and get to the bottom of what's happening for you.

I think it would be best if one of the team set up a remote session with you so they can get in and have a look at what's going on.

Can you please get back in the ticket with Dave, with your contact details and a good time to call.

Cheers, Aaron
2:00 AM, 25 Feb 2016
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.