Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

serato video stops recording after 5-10 seconds

Product
Serato Video
Version
Hardware
Numark NS7
Host
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
DJ_iMIx 1:36 AM - 25 April, 2014
I am trying to record a video mix but i can't get it to record any longer than 10 seconds. It just stops recording out of no where. I have tried to lower the quality of the video. I have tried recording to an external device. Nothing is working. I am also getting MIDI dropout signals. Maybe this is part of the problem. I'm not sure. Please help!
Serato, Support
Matt P 5:51 PM - 29 April, 2014
Hi DJ_iMIx,

Have you read this guide? -> serato.com

If you can post your graphics card info and computer specs I'll try and help with your issue.

Its also possible you are having these problems in relation to the files. What file format are you using and where did you get them?

Matt P
DJ_iMIx 9:49 PM - 6 May, 2014
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB graphics
Processor-2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory-4 GB 1400 MHz DDR3

I tried recording again today. It keeps stopping around the 21 second mark. Over and over. I am using mp4s that i downloaded from video pools.
Serato, Support
Matt P 10:12 PM - 8 May, 2014
Hi DJ_iMIx,

I'm sorry i realized i didn't paste the link in to the last reply. I've edited that now. here is the link again -serato.com

What I would like to know is are you recording to a diferent drive than the one your videos are stored at and what quality are you trying to record at? We recommend 480p.

Also how much remaining space do you have on your drive that you are recording to?

Matt P
DJ_iMIx 11:45 PM - 8 May, 2014
all of my videos are stored on my internal hard drives and yes i am recording to the same hard drive. i tried recording to an external but the same problem exists. i have about 88 gigs of available storage left on my mac.
Serato, Support
Matt P 1:18 AM - 9 May, 2014
DJ_iMIx,

Ok, recording to the external is recommended if it can keep up with the data transfer. If you could tell me the quality and frame rate you are trying to record this will help me understand your issue better.

Thanks

Matt P
DJ_iMIx 2:31 AM - 15 May, 2014
i've tried recording to an external hard drive. i've lowered and raised all of the settings. i've tried everything. it just flat out doesn't work. seriously, when can we expect an update because it seems like no one is satisfied with the software.
Serato, Support
Matt P 1:08 AM - 22 May, 2014
DJ_iMIx,

We will always be making updates, but we will need to figure out what your problem is first before we can fix it.
Can you tell me a bit more about the external drive you are using? How much space does it have remaining and what quality is it that you are recording at?
We recommend 480p and a powered (with an adapter) External that spins at 7200rpm or is solid state.

Matt P
DJ_iMIx 1:50 AM - 22 May, 2014
i have 100s of gigs of space left on my harddrive. i have tried recording at 480p and 360p. nothing is working. nothing will record past 1 minute. i have tried mulitiple different options.
Serato, Support
Matt P 1:20 PM - 27 May, 2014
Hi DJ_iMIx,

What is your video buffer set to? Clearly you have a good graphics card, it would be good to know if you have your video buffer in the setup menu adjusted to 1gb or below?

Matt P
DJ_iMIx 2:00 PM - 27 May, 2014
yes its at about 300MB.
Serato, Support
Matt P 8:09 PM - 2 June, 2014
Hi DJ_iMIx,

And the external drive is it self powered? how long does it record for before shutting down?

It would be good to know as much about the external drive and how its connected to help identify if there is any issue with that.

Matt P
DJ_iMIx 8:12 PM - 2 June, 2014
yes its a self powered external. has a ton of space left on it. 100s of gigs of available space. with the external it records longer but only for about 50 seconds.
Serato, Support
Matt P 6:29 PM - 3 June, 2014
Hi DJ_iMIx,

And the files you are using to VJ with is this affecting all of them? Can you upload one or two of them to this thread?

How is the external connected to the computer? Thunderbolt, Firewire or USB?

Matt P
alcrespo 7:15 PM - 28 October, 2014
salut Matt P
J'ai exactement le même PC et j'ai exactement les memes soucis que DJ-iMix.Je ne sais plus quoi faire et j'ai suivi a la lettre les recommandations de serato
milestighe 2:30 PM - 5 November, 2014
I'm having the same issue, using a brand new macbook pro ( 2.8 GHz i5, 510GB SSD, 8GB ram) with 150 GB spare on the drive.

I've tried using an external drive with 250GB spare on it. I've lowered all the setting, increased the buffer, but as DJ_iMix has said, nothing makes any difference.

Recording stops anywhere between 20-50 seconds.

My conclusion is that this function just doesn't work.

Miles
Jaylen604 1:42 AM - 1 December, 2014
I'm having the same issue, using an external drive as well. However mine stops at random times, usually further into the mix which makes it more annoying.
stimpey 6:29 PM - 2 December, 2014
I have been having this issue for 3 month, Sam was looking into it then got moved to another section.
I use Xtendamix and Promo Only Videos which i pay a subscription, these will not record at the lowest of the low grades, its defo a serato problem.
Im running usb hard drives and lots of space left all i get ..
recording is missing % of frames please lower.
I'm getting sick of it... you pay for this function and it dont work flat out.
Now your injunction with Xtendamix you must have access to vids to get this fixed.
stimpey 11:22 AM - 9 December, 2014
Has any one looked at this problem yet, i wanna throw it out the damn window..

Getting really frustrated now, SERATO sort this please.
djandresantos 7:45 PM - 17 December, 2014
I'm with the same problem. The record stops at a random time.

Macbook Air
200GB free SSD
Yosemite 10.10.1
8GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
Processor: i7
DJ Tecniq 11:15 AM - 18 December, 2014
If you guys are having problems recording with serato video you should check out mix emergency it can do all of that plus more. I doubt it will happen on Mix Emergency. Serato Video is well....shit sorry to say.
dj_old_school wild sound 12:37 AM - 19 December, 2014
I don't know if any of you guys are having issues with the new 1.7.2 and recording with serato video after 8 second stop recording video mix sometimes after 15 seconds or 25 seconds I running all the latest update from Mac Yosemite sl2 audio recording on garage band work perfect soon will update to logic pro x but yes the recording stop a lot any suggestions
DJ MEGA 10:25 PM - 23 December, 2014
I've giving up trying to use Video-Sl Recording. If you have a Mac use Quicktime Player, Use New Screen Recording. It works
DJ Tecniq 11:57 AM - 24 December, 2014
Quote:
I've giving up trying to use Video-Sl Recording. If you have a Mac use Quicktime Player, Use New Screen Recording. It works
screenflow works best for me since I don't have mix emergency yet. Recording quality is great👍
dj_old_school wild sound 9:12 PM - 17 February, 2015
serato 1.7.3 works perfect they have done major improvement except the serato video when you try to record stop too much does any one knows why? serato team do you know why?
DJ Tecniq 9:16 PM - 17 February, 2015
Quote:
serato 1.7.3 works perfect they have done major improvement except the serato video when you try to record stop too much does any one knows why? serato team do you know why?
They don't have an answer nor do they know why. It's just a major flaw in Serato Video. You'll either have to use M.E., syphon recorder or screen flow👍
dj_old_school wild sound 12:24 AM - 18 February, 2015
I just use quick time that is ok so far but yes serato video need major upgrade at least ...but the new serato dj 1.7.3 they improve greatly on the music diagram is more stable and not as jumping that use to be.......but yes seraro video is great but need major improvement for recording music videos mixes......but thanks guys. Hope serato team can work this out
RebelVybzMovement 5:59 PM - 17 March, 2015
Damn this sucks. We should at least get some sort of discount from Serato to purchase screenflow or ME.
djcalio 9:52 PM - 22 March, 2015
well team serato.. let me clear this up first i am a loyal serato user and truly love the software.....BUT after trying to record video mixes with the video plug in on various machines mac and pc i finally got it to work...... here was my troubles... 1st machine i tried on macbook pro i7 (dual) 2.7 ghz 13 in 16 gb ram........ no luck lost frames audio dropouts etc..... 2nd machine windows 2630qm i7 quad processor (intel graphics card ) that was absolutely a nightmare..... 3rd machine macbook pro 15 inch i7 2.6 ghz (quad core)(two graphics cards with one dedicated) (TOP DOLLAR MACBOOK .... and finally it recorded right........ bottom line for saying this is try testing out some of your features on lower spec cpus before releasing it...... or at least advertise this feature will only work correctly with certain cpus ....... because many dis out here may have macs but just don't have have ones that are powerful enough to have this feature. as in my oppinion macs or pcs with i5s or lower are simply not powerful enough for this feature!!!
djcalio 9:54 PM - 22 March, 2015
Quote:
well team serato.. let me clear this up first i am a loyal serato user and truly love the software.....BUT after trying to record video mixes with the video plug in on various machines mac and pc i finally got it to work...... here was my troubles... 1st machine i tried on macbook pro i7 (dual) 2.7 ghz 13 in 16 gb ram........ no luck lost frames audio dropouts etc..... 2nd machine windows 2630qm i7 quad processor (intel graphics card ) that was absolutely a nightmare..... 3rd machine macbook pro 15 inch i7 2.6 ghz (quad core)(two graphics cards with one dedicated) (TOP DOLLAR MACBOOK .... and finally it recorded right........ bottom line for saying this is try testing out some of your features on lower spec cpus before releasing it...... or at least advertise this feature will only work correctly with certain cpus ....... because many dis out here may have macs but just don't have have ones that are powerful enough to have this feature. as in my oppinion macs or pcs with i5s or lower are simply not powerful enough to record video mixes.
djcalio 9:55 PM - 22 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
well team serato.. let me clear this up first i am a loyal serato user and truly love the software.....BUT after trying to record video mixes with the video plug in on various machines mac and pc i finally got it to work...... here was my troubles... 1st machine i tried on macbook pro i7 (dual) 2.7 ghz 13 in 16 gb ram........ no luck lost frames audio dropouts etc..... 2nd machine windows 2630qm i7 quad processor (intel graphics card ) that was absolutely a nightmare..... 3rd machine macbook pro 15 inch i7 2.6 ghz (quad core)(two graphics cards with one dedicated) (TOP DOLLAR MACBOOK .... and finally it recorded right........ bottom line for saying this is try testing out some of your features on lower spec cpus before releasing it...... or at least advertise this feature will only work correctly with certain cpus with high end performance and specify what the user will need to have....... because many djs out here may have macs but just don't have have ones that are powerful enough to have this feature. as in my oppinion macs or pcs with i5s or lower are simply not powerful enough to record video mixes.
DJ Tecniq 10:49 PM - 22 March, 2015
That really sucks and it's true. But there's a huge reason for this and it's serato DJ. First and foremost it uses way too much cpu than it needs to and then to add serato video on top of that I say good luck on your old machine. Personally I think they should make a statement that it only works best on newer machines. If you're going to use SDJ you better have a laptop that's well equipped sad truth👍
djcalio 11:22 PM - 22 March, 2015
yeah i have recorded video mixes for quite some time.... never could get the quality at 720p or in most cases to record smoothly 480p i had to use a third party software (screen flow) which was good but also a load on the cpu as well.... i almost went the mix emergency route... (and still might)..... i personally recommend an upper level i7 processor.... 3rd generation or better.... macbook ... as pcs and serato suck...... NO MACBOOK AIR is capable of recording a video mix so i wouldn't get one of those Ever!!!
djcalio 11:23 PM - 22 March, 2015
Quote:
yeah i have recorded video mixes for quite some time.... never could get the quality at 720p or in most cases to record smoothly 480p i had to use a third party software (screen flow) which was good but also a load on the cpu as well.... i almost went the mix emergency route... (and still might)..... i personally recommend an upper level i7 processor.... 3rd generation or better.... macbook .PRO .. as pcs and serato suck...... NO MACBOOK AIR is capable of recording a video mix so i wouldn't get one of those Ever ....
djcalio 11:25 PM - 22 March, 2015
Quote:
Quote:
yeah i have recorded video mixes for quite some time.... never could get the quality at 720p or in most cases to record smoothly 480p i had to use a third party software (screen flow) which was good but also a load on the cpu as well.... i almost went the mix emergency route... (and still might)..... i personally recommend an upper level quad core i7 processor.... 3rd generation or better.... macbook .PRO one that runs at speeds on all cores above 2.2 ghz.. as pcs and serato suck...... NO MACBOOK AIR is capable of recording a video mix so i wouldn't get one of those Ever ....
djcalio 11:25 PM - 22 March, 2015
2:00 AM, 22 Apr 2015
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.