DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Running Scratch Live Via Virtual Machine

Culprit 2:43 AM - 15 February, 2009
I am sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search but did not find anything regarding this question. I want to know if any of you are running scratch live parallels (windows or mac) live? I have not experimented with virtual machines yet, but I will next week, and I just want to know if you guys use it as an added protection just incase scratch live crashes (which it rarly does) and you can do an instant reboot or just have another virtual machine with scratch live loaded up for instant access.

I hope this makes some sort of sense, but I am new to the vm world.
J3RMZ 3:16 AM - 15 February, 2009
I don't really know about the virtual machine but i looked it up and it got me interested to know too. But what I do as far as having a backup ready is using an external hd to run off of just in case my internal hd dies mid-set. All I gotta do is plug in the hd and restart and xp boots from my external (if anyone wants to know how to do this hit me up and ill shoot you the tutorial). Im too poor to get a backup laptop so this was my only choice for now. But yeah this virtual machine thing got me thinking.
nik39 3:08 PM - 15 February, 2009
Technically you are adding an addiotional layer of complexity and another point of failure. I don't think this will help.
Culprit 8:01 PM - 15 February, 2009
Quote:
I don't really know about the virtual machine but i looked it up and it got me interested to know too. But what I do as far as having a backup ready is using an external hd to run off of just in case my internal hd dies mid-set. All I gotta do is plug in the hd and restart and xp boots from my external (if anyone wants to know how to do this hit me up and ill shoot you the tutorial). Im too poor to get a backup laptop so this was my only choice for now. But yeah this virtual machine thing got me thinking.

Good thinking, I did not think of this.

Quote:
Technically you are adding an addiotional layer of complexity and another point of failure. I don't think this will help.

Gotcha, thanks for the advice nik.