Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

4 deck control with Reloop RP-8000

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Reloop Terminal Mix 8
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Tripper J 5:56 AM - 23 April, 2014
Is it possible to control all 4 decks with the RP 800?
I know you can switch between decks supposedly, but will that stop the one that's playing if you switch to a different deck?

Here's what them manual says:

10.4 Deck Selection
You can assign the RP-8000 to various decks in your DJ software. To select which deck should be controlled please proceed as follows:
1. Make sure that the RP-8000 is turned on (see settings ON/OFF Button -3-).
2. Press and hold the TRAX Encoder -26- for more than 3 seconds. The pitch display shows which channel is currently being used. “CH-1” corre-
sponds to deck A (also called deck 1). “CH-2” corresponds to deck B, “CH-3” corresponds to deck C and “CH-4” corresponds to deck D.
3. Now turn the TRAX encoder to select the desired channel.
4. Confirm this change by pressing the TRAX encoder.
NOTE! You can carry out this setting also during ongoing operation. The single channels simultaneously correspond to the active MIDI channel.
Tripper J 11:38 PM - 23 April, 2014
Any responses?

I tested an RP-8000 out today and discovered that it doesn't work without additional Serato DJ Hardware, like the Rane 62 or 64. Unfortunately, the store I demo'd it at only had a 68 to try with it and it was too buggy in Scratch Live.

***So, I'm still curious if I can control multiple virtual decks with one of these? Or will they be limited to one deck per turntable?***

Please let me know, thanks.
Tripper J 11:40 PM - 23 April, 2014
-oh, and if this is mis-categorized... sorry, but there wasn't a Reloop RP-8000 section that I could see when I started it.
DJ Mike Rock 12:34 AM - 24 April, 2014
Now that the RP-8000 is a Serato supported device I'm considering making the purchase. I wanted to ask the experts first about the usb connections. I know that 2 can be linked together so that only 1 USB port needs to be used for Serato DJ operation. What I'm curious about is whether or not a usb hub and be inserted in between. Reason being is that I use a MacBook Pro like many other DJ's and with only having two USB ports there's no way I can play my tunes off of my external hard drive which uses usb 3.0. I currently use the Pioneer DDJ-SX.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
Mike Rock
Serato, Support
Matt P 7:02 PM - 24 April, 2014
Hey Guys,

The Reloop RP8000 is a supported accessory but not a supported controller. You will still need another device such as a Rane SL box or Supported mixer to use them with.

@Tripper J,

According to the manual it is possible and you should be able to control more than one deck with the device.

Matt P
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:02 PM - 24 April, 2014
I tried this with a Rane 62 and just using 1 RP8000
I was able to change the Midi channel Ch 1 to Ch 2 and control deck 2 via triggering cue points.
HOWEVER, you do not have control using DVS section on Deck 2: platter and pitch

Unless I am doing something wrong
I do not think it is possible since the DVS (rca) is connected to Channel 1, Channel 2 is not getting any signal at all.

Got it? lol
Tripper J 10:14 PM - 24 April, 2014
Got it :)

Maybe RCA Splitter?
DJ_X_Trodinaire 10:20 PM - 24 April, 2014
^^ i think it will just be messy....

What if you want RP8000 (table 1) to control Deck 1 2 3 and 4?
that means you need 3x rca splitter? on just one deck. and you have to do it again on the Table 2.

Blasphemy!

Maybe a Reloop CS can chime in and prove or disprove what I post :P
Serato, Support
Matt P 11:43 PM - 24 April, 2014
DJ_X_Trodinaire,

I think you have it nailed right there. The way 4 deck control works on controllers like the DDJ-SX relies on the pitch fader returning to the previous setting and other things that kind of make things a little messy, DVS sync doesn't offer the same features as controller sync so that makes sense, and it would also depend on hardware too. So yes the RP-8000 can control 4 deck midi info but not virtual deck control etc.

Matt P
Djj Flipp 9:34 AM - 25 April, 2014
Ok can anyone tell me if I get the reloop rp8000 I dont need to get an SL box ? Can I just hook it up directly to usb of my pc or mac or plug it in on my pioneer ddjsx ? Thanks in advance
DJ_X_Trodinaire 11:01 AM - 25 April, 2014
Quote:
Ok can anyone tell me if I get the reloop rp8000 I dont need to get an SL box ? Can I just hook it up directly to usb of my pc or mac or plug it in on my pioneer ddjsx ? Thanks in advance

You need an SL box
Serato, Support
Matt P 10:58 PM - 27 April, 2014
Hi Djj Flipp,

Quote:
You need an SL box

Rane SL 2, 3 or 4 to be precise :)
mixjockey 6:28 PM - 27 May, 2014
I am sorry Serato, but this does not make any sense at all.
I remember the times, when Scratch Live had two channels only, there was the "input reverse" switch, which was dedicated to route the timecode signal to the opposite deck. The active deck switched to internal modus, and that way the pitch stayed constant. I was able to play my whole set with only one turntable. Serato decided to call it an emergency feature, but for me it was much more than this. It made complete sense in many ways. - No Need to buy and carry around more than one turntable.
And, by the way, most DJs only have one hand on one turntable at the same time, like a guitarist who also has only one hand on one guitar at the same time ;-) Think about it, even the most severe scatching performances are always done with one hand on the vinyl at the same time. Switching the input signal would even allow faster performance workflows, than switching from one turntable to another.

As the four channel version of serato came up, you removed the input reverse switch and served us a workaround, meant for emergency situations when three of four turntables have a failure or something like that. But it was not the same, as the new method was based on swapping the audio outputs to different channels, and thus only controlling one single deck with one turntable. This has huge disadvantages in workflow, as you have to make sure, that the mixer channels have the same settings, when swapping the outputs.
This workaround is not any more usable for people who seriously want to take only one or two turntables for use with four internal decks, and still wanting to have a professional working environment.

I believe, that it is not easy to implement this kind of signal routing in serato DJ, in a traditional setup with Rane Hardware an traditional turntables, as there is a specific way of routing given by the hardware.

But with this new USB Turntables Things should be much easier, as they have their own A-D Soundcard built in. It should be realistically possible to route the timecode signal to different internal decks, one by another, and swapping the corresponding last deck immediately from relative to internal mode.

When I first saw this Reloop Deck, and saw that it was dedicated for use with Serato, I really hoped that I could control all four internal decks. It would be such a great Killer feature over anything else on the market.
The idea that I have to spend money for three additional Decks in order to get my dream setup working, makes me a huge stomach ache. I would rather prefer taking the money and buying the Rane Sixty Four, for example. - But there would still be the need of controlling the decks adequately....- with Timecode Vinyl....- but how? - Also not everybody has the space in his bedroom for placing four Turntables....

Please Think about it and keep the discussion alive!

Thank you very much!
mixjockey 6:43 PM - 27 May, 2014
Quote:
Hi Djj Flipp,

Quote:
You need an SL box

Rane SL 2, 3 or 4 to be precise :)

Excuse me, do I understand right? The Serato DJ does not accept the usb audio? OK, that clears up a little bit. The compatibiliy list of Serato DJ is becoming more and more confusing to me at some point...
Serato, Support
Matt P 8:08 PM - 2 June, 2014
mixjockey,

Quote:
Excuse me, do I understand right? The Serato DJ does not accept the usb audio? OK, that clears up a little bit. The compatibiliy list of Serato DJ is becoming more and more confusing to me at some point...

Yes that is correct. The Reloop turntables are only supported as accessories not as controllers.

Your previous post, will be most useful in the feature request area for Serato DJ here -> serato.com

Regards

Matt P
Asu 12:35 AM - 4 July, 2014
Quote:
The idea that I have to spend money for three additional Decks in order to get my dream setup working, makes me a huge stomach ache.

CDJs via HID are more suited to what u need
Jumbo Boogie 11:17 PM - 16 October, 2014
If your using a 3 or 4-channel SL box or using a 4-channel Serato mixer...just instant double a current playing song into an open deck. Then just use a midi controller to control the functions of the other decks not physically controlled by the turntable

or....

Split one 8000 or any turntable into two inputs with "two" rca y-cable adapters (one female to two male) to allow one 8000 to physically control two decks...assign the red and white splits into either decks 1 & 2 for a left handed deck or 3 & 4 for a right handed deck. Make sure you set the current playing deck to internal and reset the pitch before switching over to another deck. Then control the remaining decks like above.
mixjockey 3:50 PM - 29 November, 2014
@Asu:
Quote:

CDJs via HID are more suited to what u need

Thank you for that Idea. I will have to think about that for a while.
But at the moment I really like the Idea to have four decks controlled by one single turntable.

@Jumbo Boogie:
Quote:

Split (...) any turntable into two inputs with "two" rca y-cable adapters (...)

Well seems to be a nice idea, but only theoretically. Have you tried it? You need a hardware switch in order to select where the control signal should actually be routed in. Otherwise you control different decks simultaniously "always on". This cannot be wanted at all -> Will more or less look and sound like Weird crazy malfunction.

Beyond that: that you need to switch to internal mode is quite clear. Nobody talks about that. That is the least problem.
And resetting the pitch does not make sense at all: When you want to control a deck with a turntable, that means that you either want to pitch or to cue or to scratch or whatever. But you do it (mostly in relative mode) with your turntbale then. No need to reset anything here. When switching that deck back to internal mode, the pitch will be automatically kept by serato.

Your idea with "instant doubles" has often been mentioned in different places here, but has one major disadvantage, towards your second idea with splitting cables: It implicates that you will need to swap the channels, but swapping channels on a 4-channel hardware mixer is not done by the click of a button. (Studio mixers can do that, the corresponding feature is called "total recall" and uses motorized faders and special knobs). There is no chance with a DJ Mixer, not even with most DJ controllers as they only reflect the internal serato settings. So you have to manually recall the mixer settings and swap channels everytime you need to load a new song into your one single "turntable controlled deck". - Not very handy.

So back to the idea with spllitting cables with RCA Y Adapters:
You face the following situation:
1. Hardware switch needed. (see above)
2. Switch and Adapter cables will most probably influence the quality of the timecode signal.
3. You have to be an electronic nerd.

Which leads us directly back to a feature suggestion for which one I have started a new discussion here: serato.com

Please track it, ask questions, discuss and show Serato that there is serious need for it.

Thanks!
Jumbo Boogie 6:34 PM - 19 December, 2014
You don't really need an rca selector if you have a midi controller assigned to switch between internal and absolute/relative. Besides control of 2 decks with the use of one can be helpful for "some" live remixing.

Quote:
And resetting the pitch does not make sense at all: When you want to control a deck with a turntable, that means that you either want to pitch or to cue or to scratch or whatever. But you do it (mostly in relative mode) with your turntbale then. No need to reset anything here. When switching that deck back to internal mode, the pitch will be automatically kept by serato.

The resetting the pitch is a habit I've picked up from vinyl days. I'm just accustomed to reseting everything to default after getting out of a track. Internal is only a last resort in my case or if I just want a part of a track on some endless loop but want control of it if needed.

Quote:
Your idea with "instant doubles" has often been mentioned in different places here, but has one major disadvantage, towards your second idea with splitting cables: It implicates that you will need to swap the channels, but swapping channels on a 4-channel hardware mixer is not done by the click of a button. (Studio mixers can do that, the corresponding feature is called "total recall" and uses motorized faders and special knobs). There is no chance with a DJ Mixer, not even with most DJ controllers as they only reflect the internal serato settings. So you have to manually recall the mixer settings and swap channels everytime you need to load a new song into your one single "turntable controlled deck". - Not very handy.

I know what "total recall" is but what you’re referring to is the routing matrix or possibly a patch bay for hot swaps...Besides why would you need to swap channels on a 4 channel mixer and why would someone need to recall any settings on a DJ mixer other then FX presets on an onboard effects? I usually just set any changes I’ve made to default before loading a new track on that channel. Is there something more complicated that I’m missing (Don’t currently mess with video)? Personally I wish 4-channel mixers had a crossfader reverse switch because I use both reverse and regular and toggling the postfader switches for every channel everytime I want to go from regular to reverse is an unneccessary hastle.

Quote:
So back to the idea with spllitting cables with RCA Y Adapters:
You face the following situation:
1. Hardware switch needed. (see above)
2. Switch and Adapter cables will most probably influence the quality of the timecode signal.
3. You have to be an electronic nerd.

1. Yes and No (Yes because of #2 no because of midi controller)
2. Probably...splitting any audio signal is most likely going to affect the decibel output
3. Or maybe owning 4 turntables/CDJ’s isn’t economical, space restricted, or reasonable for some...Replacing faders must be electronic NASA level.
mixjockey 3:42 PM - 21 December, 2014
Thank you for your reply Jumbo Boogie.
But:
I dont get it yet:
Quote:
You don't really need an rca selector if you have a midi controller assigned to switch between internal and absolute/relative.

- What does the midi controller do what the software internally does not do? Why is "switching the playback mode" an alternative to routing a DVS-Signal to a different channel?
Quote:
Besides why would you need to swap channels on a 4 channel mixer and why would someone need to recall any settings on a DJ mixer

- To free up the DVS-controlled channel for the new track to be mixed in (with the single one turntable). The currently playing track needs to be load into a track (with internal mode) with identical Settings on Mixer -EQ, -Volume, -FX.
Quote:
Or maybe owning 4 turntables/CDJ’s isn’t economical, space restricted, or reasonable for some...

- Well, thats what the topic was all about: Controlling four decks with one turntable...

I am still open for creative input... Thank you!
Jumbo Boogie 5:47 AM - 22 December, 2014
Being that the 8000 has line level outputs. You could use a 4-way A/V rca splitter like so www.amazon.com (not suggesting this particular unit...using as an example). Then use the track encoder on the 8000 to swtich between decks you wish to use cues, loops, or whatever.

1. set the deck your going to use to relative and the other three to internal.
2. load track on relative deck...play track
3. switch relative deck to internal
4. swtich track encoder on 8000 to the deck your going to control next
5. engage relative on that deck
6. load new track
7. beatmatch, scratch, pad push, or whatever that needs to be done on that track...then switch to internal
8. repat steps 4, 5, 6, and 7

Engaging relative will act as a virtual selector since any decks switched to internal manually won't be affected by any timecode signal. Also you don't have to load the current playing track into another deck in Serato DJ. Just manually switch the relative deck into internal. It's unneccessary to have a recall function if your still using the same channel on the mixer.

Only thing I can think off if your trying to use one 8000 with a 4-channel.
mixjockey 8:08 PM - 22 December, 2014
Quote:
(...) You could use a 4-way A/V rca splitter like so www.amazon.com (not suggesting this particular unit...using as an example).
(...)

Engaging relative will act as a virtual selector since any decks switched to internal manually won't be affected by any timecode signal. Also you don't have to load the current playing track into another deck in Serato DJ. Just manually switch the relative deck into internal.

(...)

Ouuh! Thank you so much! "Virtual Selector" was the keyword that I needed. Now I´m getting it. I just can´t believe that I didn´t come across that idea for such a long time. It´s so simple. But I think I´ll have to try this out, first.

Also, as I don´t have Line Level Output, I might have to plug a separate Phono Preamp before going into the audio splitter.
Well, I will have to see how SDJ is going to react on that signal (especially in different environments...)

Thank you so far!
AKIEM 5:05 PM - 26 March, 2015
Sorry not reading the entire thread. But there is no decent way to control the four decks.

You can select the four decks which will send midi buttons to the selected deck, but switching is a hassle.

I think Reloop should have made that much easier. Secindly, it would have been killer (but probably expensive) if the deck could have sent an internal control signal to the unselcted decks or something....

I am very sad that Serato and hardly any other companies are embracing the idea of One Physical Deck controlling Several Software Decks.

Curently I use one deck and the instant doubles technique which is as close as I've been able to get to what's wanted. Been doing it for years.

I'm sad Serato does not see the benefit of this concept - I think its the future.
mixjockey 8:56 PM - 26 March, 2015
Thank you Akiem!

Quote:
...if the deck could have sent an internal control signal to the unselcted decks or something....

If you need another possibility, read the latest post from Jumbo Boogie. Because, that is what we were talking about: To send the Control Signal from the physical Deck to just every virtual Deck, using the internal/relative Switch as a "virtual input selector".
You could even assign a decent midi button to the internal/relative switches, which gives you a physical input selector for the timecode.
Seems to be much more convenient than the instant doubles method.

Are you getting it? :-)

If you try it out, please share your experiences...
AKIEM 10:41 PM - 26 March, 2015
Yes!

I considered making a device that somehow triggered the midi and switched the signal all in one switch. But it started to seem a little too complicated and still not be a full solution. We would still have the problem of INT speed not matching the deck speed when switching back to REL/deck control. That would require a software solution. An 'offset' (smooth transition from INT to REL) could work. Ive suggested it from time to time. But without the possibility of a 'fully working' solution I didn't want to put the effort in.

I think its ridiculous we don't have a viable single deck controller at this point....

Hope someone figures it out - its only logical.

Maybe Reloop....
2:00 AM, 22 Apr 2015
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.