Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Another library/tagging issue, with VORBIS commentes this time (Ogg + Flac)

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
Wizzu 10:51 AM - 21 April, 2014
Not hardware related

FLAC and OGG tags (= Vorbis comments) are IMO not supported properly in SDJ.

--- 1 ----

During analysis, a "description" tag is added and the contents of the original "comments" tag is copied to this new "description" tag.

Problem: after that, any changes to the "comments" tag done in other programs (Foobar2000, MP3tag) are not read by SDJ, since SDJ now reads only the "description" tag it created. => smartcrates are not updated accordingly when tagging my files in MP3tag or Foobar2000.

--- 2 ----

SDJ doesn't read the "DATE" tag in Flac and Ogg files, even though it exists in the file. SDJ wants to read the "YEAR" tag, which is not present by default and not even proposed by other tagging software.

Problem: even for files which come with the proper date (in the "DATE" tag), I have to manually re-enter the date in SDJ, which then creates the "YEAR" tag for the file. That's a lot of work I could do without.

As a general comment, to this date (SDJ V 1.6.1) the only file format which doesn't suffer tagging inconsistencies in SDJ, is MP3.

M4a, Ogg, Flac all have inconsistencies with tagging in SDJ.
Wizzu 2:13 PM - 21 April, 2014
UPDATE

Sorry my bad, issue #2 affects only OGG files, not FLAC files.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 2:51 AM - 8 May, 2014
Hey Wizzu,

-- 1 --

I haven't been able to reproduce this. I have been using 1 FLAC file (as far as I know there is only 1 tagging standard with flac files). Entering a comment into the comment field and then analyzing the file. If I then view the file in MP3Tag (the same program you suggested) I cannot see any description field..

-- 2 --

I have had a bit of a read about this, it appears to me that the DATE tag is no longer a standard OGG tag when using the latest ID3 tag versions. It looks like it was replaced with YEAR some time ago: forums.mp3tag.de (I found this discussion quite helpful i understanding why)

Sam
Wizzu 3:27 PM - 11 May, 2014
Quote:
I haven't been able to reproduce this. I have been using 1 FLAC file (as far as I know there is only 1 tagging standard with flac files). Entering a comment into the comment field and then analyzing the file. If I then view the file in MP3Tag (the same program you suggested) I cannot see any description field..
Did you actually go to the properties tab in MP3tag so to view all existing tags?

Anyway I tried again with many of my FLAC files, and analysing them in SDJ ALWAYS creates a %description% tag, writes there the original content of the %comment% tag, and after that SDJ only uses this %description% tag when updating comments in SDJ. Changing the %comment% tag in another program is not reflected anymore in SDJ.

Quote:
I have had a bit of a read about this, it appears to me that the DATE tag is no longer a standard OGG tag when using the latest ID3 tag versions.

First there is no such thing as "ID3 tags" for FLAC and OGG, these are Vorbis Comments. The "YEAR" tag doesn't exist in any of the files bought online or created by Vorbis encoders. Creating it is program related and though I understand it can be interesting in some cases, that should be entirely the user's choice.

It'very annoying to have additional tags that are not cross-formats compatible. Some can't be avoided (like "grouping" vs "content group") since they are format-specific, but the DATE tag is entirely cross-format compatible and thus should be left as is.

My biggest issues since I use Serato (ITCH, now SDJ) have always been about the strange way the library handles tags (I have a long list of annoying quirks, I even lost all of my DATE tags in Itunes/M4A files because of a bug in ITCH 2.0...), except for MP3 where everything is perfectly fine. It's a shame that tag support for OGG, FLAC and even M4A isn't on par with MP3 tag support... :-(