DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Beatport Pro 2 Music Management software

Will08272 7:37 PM - 14 April, 2014
Havent downloaded the software yet but the things shown in the video overview which you guys must watch right now. These destroys itunes its not even close. I hope that all dj software makers add support for this. And hopefully it becomes a standard for DJ library mangement.

www.djtechtools.com
The Return of Dj Sparky 7:59 PM - 14 April, 2014
looks pretty intresting will have to check it out
Will08272 9:07 PM - 14 April, 2014
Okay just took a look at the website which i should have done before making the thread, its listed as coming soon, Hopefully it's really soon so i can ditch itunes.
Bigga Bounce Ent 11:16 PM - 14 April, 2014
How will this intergreat with Serato?
Will08272 11:25 PM - 14 April, 2014
I was checking for more info on beatports end doesnt really give much more info then whats shown in the video demo, it shows some sort of compatibility with Serato, Traktor, Rekordbox and so on but exactly how isn't said.
deejdave 12:15 AM - 15 April, 2014
If your library is properly tagged then the need for this is non-existent. I mean over iTunes Hell Yeah!!! But then again iTunes is a horrible program to begin with and Rane/Serato themselves advise against using iTunes themselves. serato.com
Joe Fresh 5:35 AM - 15 April, 2014
I'll definitely be trying out Beatport Pro 2 on Wednesday, it looks very promising.

From what I've read and seen in the DJTT video, the program will write information in the "special" ID3 tags of the audio file, which is great because then the data can be read by another program, instead of Beatport Pro keeping everything in its own database and not letting other programs read it.

So there are dedicated fields for energy, mood, set time, etc., stuff DJs can actually use. Of course you can write that kind of data into currently available fields like grouping or comments, which is what people do now with iTunes and Sixxx's codes or whatever system people have. This is just an "official" way of doing the same thing.

The DJTT article claims that Serato and NI are eventually gonna support those special tags, so in Serato DJ we'll have columns for energy and mood and all the others that Beatport Pro will write to. That would be awesome, then you can use smart crates in SDJ to auto-build perfect crates, and finally let go of iTunes. That's the dream anyway.

Other awesome features I'm excited for - syncing with Beatport to get missing tags, easy filtering, samples/loops library for producers, Beatport store built in, and suggested tags from other users.

I'll come back here after I mess around with it a little.

pro.beatport.com
Will08272 2:13 PM - 15 April, 2014
Supposed to be released tomorrow, the only thing holding me back from it currently is lack of smart playlist.
lofty 3:07 PM - 15 April, 2014
Quote:
Supposed to be released tomorrow, the only thing holding me back from it currently is lack of smart playlist.

this is True - I use smart playlists to do lots of organizing

- but…. I'm not liking the NEW iTunes and find it tedious to tag anymore - beatport looks like easy tagging - if stuff is tagged well you can search in serato or use seratos smart playlists.

i'll be trying it out -
Will08272 3:27 PM - 15 April, 2014
Smart playlist and the ability to put them in folders is the only reason i wont stop using itunes. Also there are a couple of options missing as far as putting together a smart crate in Scratchlive/SDJ.
Joe Fresh 7:04 PM - 16 April, 2014
Available today for free download on Mac -

pro.beatport.com
dj pesh 7:41 PM - 16 April, 2014
It doesn't import mp4 video files
AKIEM 7:47 PM - 16 April, 2014
Quote:
It doesn't import mp4 video files

:/

let me know when that shits fixed

nm
Joe Fresh 7:50 PM - 16 April, 2014
Wouldn't hold my breath guys.

Beatport sells music, not videos.
AKIEM 8:01 PM - 16 April, 2014
thats true, but people who organize video files also buy music.
deejdave 8:06 PM - 16 April, 2014
Quote:

Yes but I don't think Beatport is getting involved with this app for any other reason than to sell their content not make peoples lives easier. Just a guess though.................... who knows?
Robbie O 8:11 PM - 16 April, 2014
seems like the only real difference is extra fields to use and the quick filtering...

Thats cool and all, but for itunes to be de-throwned. Beatport will have to be significantly better because the amount of time one would have to commit to "convert" your library. Thats some serious hours, and I'd have to be convinced it was worth it. I think itunes has gotten worse over years, but its not that bad
AKIEM 8:43 PM - 16 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Yes but I don't think Beatport is getting involved with this app for any other reason than to sell their content not make peoples lives easier. Just a guess though.................... who knows?

right - but I think you missed my point about people who organize videos also buy music.

I buy music.
I organize videos.
I wont use this until it organizes videos.
Then I might buy from Beatport.
Bigga Bounce Ent 11:20 PM - 16 April, 2014
I cant log in...
Joe Fresh 7:19 AM - 17 April, 2014
Well I've only been messing around with Beatport Pro 2 for a couple of hours today, but it is awesome. If you haven't been happy with iTunes for organizing your music collection, I would definitely recommend trying this out.

PROs:

- waveform for every track
- filters (work just like iTunes' smart playlists, and yes you can save them)
- separate tracks, mixes, and remix stems
- sync with Beatport (grabs all the info on a track from Beatport.com and writes to the file)
- tags for everything imaginable (mood, vocals, set time, venue type, etc.)

CONS:

- no indication in the library that a file has been synced with Beatport (workaround: add ISRC or unique ID column to library to see which tracks have it)
- key tag is written in sharps only (workaround: don't let Beatport write key tags, use MIK)

SMART PLAYLISTS / FILTERS

For DJs who use smart playlists in iTunes, the Beatport equivalent is filters. They're located along the top of the library and work in a similar way. You can save them to a section that runs along the very top of the window, along with two built-in filters for artists and labels that you track on Beatport.com. So they won't appear in the Playlists section on the sidebar, those are for manually curated playlists. But you can organize saved filters into folders.

Hope that was helpful to whoever might be interested. And before someone asks, no I do not work for Beatport, or any hardware or software company for that matter. I'm just excited because I've been waiting for something to help me organize my ever-growing music library. iTunes wasn't really doing it for me, but I'm pretty confident Beatport Pro will. Tagging everything will be a long and tedious process, but it'll be worth it.
Will08272 12:41 PM - 17 April, 2014
Is there a itunes playlist import option, i would really hate to start over again on building up all my folders and smart playlist.
DJSCIASCIA 12:55 PM - 17 April, 2014
Quote:
Is there a itunes playlist import option, i would really hate to start over again on building up all my folders and smart playlist.

Yes there is
DJMark 1:38 PM - 17 April, 2014
Quote:
I think itunes has gotten worse over years, but its not that bad

Especially if you do the file-management/tagging BEFORE adding music/videos to the iTunes library.

No Smart Playlists = not interested.

That said, iTunes could and should be a hell of a lot better than it is. Feels sluggish even on the current high-end/maxxed-out MacBook Pro, which is ridiculous.
Will08272 2:01 PM - 17 April, 2014
The one annoying thing about itunes now is the library folder gets rewritten every time you edit certain tags on your files its a pain if you have a larger library.
Will08272 2:03 PM - 17 April, 2014
All serato has to do in my opinion is add nested smart crates, and match the rules offered by itunes for making smart crates, there are several that i use for my smart playlist currently that i cant replicate in the smart crates in Scratchlive/SDJ
deejdave 8:35 PM - 17 April, 2014
As long as they keep the option to not have iTunes read at all this is not a problem in m eyes. Serato & Rane themselves recommend against using iTunes & in my experience they are completely correct. As long as you have done the work then Serato is as good as it gets in terms of library management. Many just want software to do the work for them (which is fine) and this is where iTunes & I suppose now Beatport Pro 2. I am also assuming this is juts for Mac again?
LilSwann 9:27 PM - 17 April, 2014
Quote:
As long as they keep the option to not have iTunes read at all this is not a problem in m eyes. Serato & Rane themselves recommend against using iTunes & in my experience they are completely correct. As long as you have done the work then Serato is as good as it gets in terms of library management. Many just want software to do the work for them (which is fine) and this is where iTunes & I suppose now Beatport Pro 2. I am also assuming this is juts for Mac again?

The thing I find is that yes basic comparison to iTunes Beatport Pro is much better for DJs with all the tags you can add in that's already built into the app and is DJ appealing. With that being said after you've sat here and basically done all this new work Serato can't read directly from the Beatport library you still have to export as an iTunes library file which means you still are doing what Serato goes against which is reading an iTunes library. Right now I only use iTunes for tagging purposes with a combination of Apple Dougscripts which works amazingly. So until Serato can access the Beatport library directly or takes advantage of the all the cool special tags you can setup then this is nothing more than something cool to play with or gets things tagged really well. Just my 2 cents
deejdave 12:07 AM - 18 April, 2014
Quote:
The thing I find is that yes basic comparison to iTunes Beatport Pro is much better for DJs with all the tags you can add in that's already built into the app and is DJ appealing. With that being said after you've sat here and basically done all this new work Serato can't read directly from the Beatport library you still have to export as an iTunes library file which means you still are doing what Serato goes against which is reading an iTunes library. Right now I only use iTunes for tagging purposes with a combination of Apple Dougscripts which works amazingly. So until Serato can access the Beatport library directly or takes advantage of the all the cool special tags you can setup then this is nothing more than something cool to play with or gets things tagged really well. Just my 2 cents

I completely agree. LOL I never said it was any smarter to use this app than iTunes. With iTunes you are asking for trouble and with Beatport Pro 2 like you said it organuzes everything ............... but for what? I guess it depends on what you are trying to do. Then again Beatport is tied to Traktor NOT Serato so my guess is this will be integrated with Traktor and not Serato.
Joe Fresh 12:24 AM - 18 April, 2014
The way I see it, if you already have a tagging system in iTunes that you've been using for a while and are happy with, then stick with it. If you're like me and never had a tagging system before and are going to start, I'd choose Beatport Pro. It's made for that; iTunes is not.

As far as the integration with Serato, here's a quote from DJ Tech Tool's Ean Golden, who has been using Beatport Pro for about a month and knows more about it than anyone:

"Right now, there is not any software on the market that will natively read “special” tags like set time or mood, but Serato and Native Instruments have indicated a desire to roll that out later this year. In the meantime, Beatport Pro for Mac allows you to write everything to the comments field."

A confirmation of this by Serato would be awesome, but assuming that Serato DJ will someday be able to read special tags written by Beatport Pro, I'm fine with spending the time now tagging my collection, and then when the update comes out, I'm good to go.

Beatport really isn't tied to any one software. Their software is marketed toward DJs using Serato, Traktor, or Rekordbox.

The "fake" iTunes library that Beatport Pro can export to seems to be a temporary workaround until the developers at Serato, NI, and Pioneer work out a way to read Beatport's database (or tagged files) directly. That's a guess on my part, no one has announced this, but it seems to make sense to me.

Again, I don't see this new program as a replacement for those DJs who have spent years tagging and cataloging their collection using iTunes and are satisfied with it. I see this as a powerful tagging and organizing solution to those who are just starting tagging, or those who tried it with iTunes and weren't satisfied.

In the end, to each his/her own. Sorry for the long post, like I said above, I'm just excited.
WarpNote 9:31 AM - 18 April, 2014
Just a heads up, if you're using emoticons for stuff like star rating, you might see som odd results. I have emoticon star ratings in the "remixer" field, Beaport pro converted these to the capital letter(s) "P". Not the end of the world, but just wanted to let you guys know...
WarpNote 1:02 PM - 18 April, 2014
Also, from initial tests, the app is not stable/efficient with large datasets. Hope that to change over time though...
LilSwann 6:00 PM - 18 April, 2014
Quote:
The way I see it, if you already have a tagging system in iTunes that you've been using for a while and are happy with, then stick with it. If you're like me and never had a tagging system before and are going to start, I'd choose Beatport Pro. It's made for that; iTunes is not.

As far as the integration with Serato, here's a quote from DJ Tech Tool's Ean Golden, who has been using Beatport Pro for about a month and knows more about it than anyone:

"Right now, there is not any software on the market that will natively read “special” tags like set time or mood, but Serato and Native Instruments have indicated a desire to roll that out later this year. In the meantime, Beatport Pro for Mac allows you to write everything to the comments field."

A confirmation of this by Serato would be awesome, but assuming that Serato DJ will someday be able to read special tags written by Beatport Pro, I'm fine with spending the time now tagging my collection, and then when the update comes out, I'm good to go.

Beatport really isn't tied to any one software. Their software is marketed toward DJs using Serato, Traktor, or Rekordbox.

The "fake" iTunes library that Beatport Pro can export to seems to be a temporary workaround until the developers at Serato, NI, and Pioneer work out a way to read Beatport's database (or tagged files) directly. That's a guess on my part, no one has announced this, but it seems to make sense to me.

Again, I don't see this new program as a replacement for those DJs who have spent years tagging and cataloging their collection using iTunes and are satisfied with it. I see this as a powerful tagging and organizing solution to those who are just starting tagging, or those who tried it with iTunes and weren't satisfied.

In the end, to each his/her own. Sorry for the long post, like I said above, I'm just excited.

I do agree if you have never used anything for tagging then Beatport is great because it's designed for DJs. My whole thing is after you've done all this organization say if you setup playlist based off filters for moods, venue, set, etc. then you still have to export as an iTunes library file to have Serato or any other DJ program read the library.....All that being said if Serato does give some type of yes that they will be supporting the special tags in a future update then it would be awesome to use Beatport now and get everything setup then you could make some great smart crates in Serato so I see the future opportunity for this software but currently not so much. PS to anybody using iTunes look up "Apple Dougscripts" it makes using iTunes much better and makes your life easier to get a lot of different tasks done and the really the only reason I use iTunes to tag my files.
Entro 11:39 PM - 1 May, 2014
How do you actually get Serato to read the Beatport Pro library file?
deejdave 12:12 AM - 2 May, 2014
Wait, who said Serato could read the Beatport file?
Entro 12:29 AM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:
Wait, who said Serato could read the Beatport file?

Sorry, I mean how to you get Serato to recognize the "fake" iTunes library XML file that Beatport Pro creates? I'm a little unclear on that.
DJ Mila 6:23 AM - 2 May, 2014
I also couldn't manage to integrate Beatport Pro into Serato DJ! I Dont find the place where I can reset the adress of the library... any suggestions?
DJ Remy USA 1:02 PM - 2 May, 2014
It is pretty cool, however you can do all this itunes granted you have already know how to use itunes very well but heres the deal. If your library is not already tagged properly this software will not be of any use. Your library must be pretty much already tagged and organized or am I missing somethine
DJ Remy USA 1:04 PM - 2 May, 2014
For the guys that say Itunes is horrible what on earth are you doing with your library. Itunes has a been a beast for me. Itunes plus Doug's scripts and properly tagged library works great for me. Even without the scripts but I feel like its great but thats just me.
DJ Remy USA 1:06 PM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

this is True - I use smart playlists to do lots of organizing

- but…. I'm not liking the NEW iTunes and find it tedious to tag anymore - beatport looks like easy tagging - if stuff is tagged well you can search in serato or use seratos smart playlists.

i'll be trying it out -

I have updated Itunes in 2 years, because Ive heard of peoples complaints about it.
Will08272 2:19 PM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:
For the guys that say Itunes is horrible what on earth are you doing with your library. Itunes has a been a beast for me. Itunes plus Doug's scripts and properly tagged library works great for me. Even without the scripts but I feel like its great but thats just me.

Its funny i complain alot about itunes but it has yet to fail me, granted i have all my files super ocd tagged. What serato should do license or work something out with beatport and have it pretty much take over the offline player. I havent tried it personally yet but from all the videos ive seen it seems to allow one to do everything you can do in itunes minus smart playlist. Once they add that ill ditch itunes. But man it would be great to have that be the offline player.
Entro 2:30 PM - 2 May, 2014
I guess this all comes down to how you want to organize your library - in your DJ software or in iTunes/other third party program.

It's always a bit of a chore when I get a new song. I have to key it in one program, tag it in another, then import it to Serato for analyzing, beatgridding, cue points and finally I put it into relevant crates.

Wouldn't the best solution would be for Serato to offer all the things necessary to organize your tracks in the software? Have the nested smart playlists of iTunes, the DJ specific tagging of Beaport, key analysis of MIK, etc. That way it can all be done in one window.
Will08272 2:52 PM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:
I guess this all comes down to how you want to organize your library - in your DJ software or in iTunes/other third party program.

It's always a bit of a chore when I get a new song. I have to key it in one program, tag it in another, then import it to Serato for analyzing, beatgridding, cue points and finally I put it into relevant crates.

Wouldn't the best solution would be for Serato to offer all the things necessary to organize your tracks in the software? Have the nested smart playlists of iTunes, the DJ specific tagging of Beaport, key analysis of MIK, etc. That way it can all be done in one window.

Thats why they should just license this app from beatport and have it be the offline player. All they would need to add is smart playlist in the way itunes does and you have a perfect solution. I like the side window with all the tags for the files having that window would remove the need for the columns in the library section.
Entro 3:00 PM - 2 May, 2014
Quote:
Thats why they should just license this app from beatport and have it be the offline player. All they would need to add is smart playlist in the way itunes does and you have a perfect solution. I like the side window with all the tags for the files having that window would remove the need for the columns in the library section.

I doubt Beatport would want to do that. They have little to gain by integrating the software into just one DJ platform; they would lose the store integration.

For me, two things need to happen for this software to really be useful. (1) Add smart playlists from iTunes, (2) Easier integration with Serato - library and all tags should be visible (not just in comments).
Will08272 3:18 PM - 2 May, 2014
Well they dont have to only go with serato, they can license parts of the software to any DJ software maker. And still offer the standalone product. It can take itunes places as the management tool for djs due to the dj specific tags. Or serato could make a better offline player and skip this and itunes all together. All they really need to add is nested smart crates and more choices for making smart crates and the problem is solved.
DJ Mila 7:41 AM - 3 May, 2014
Still: HOW do you connect Beatport Pro with Serato DJ? Has anybody managed that yet?
Fer1805 7:08 AM - 4 May, 2014
Quote:
Still: HOW do you connect Beatport Pro with Serato DJ? Has anybody managed that yet?

I found this video on Youtube, this is not the best way to integrate both applications and I hope that soon it can be integrated as Itunes.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Jo-One 12:21 PM - 5 May, 2014
Keep crashing on start up and can not use.
Entro 12:47 PM - 5 May, 2014
Quote:
I found this video on Youtube, this is not the best way to integrate both applications and I hope that soon it can be integrated as Itunes.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Yeah, dragging and dropping songs from the BP window in Serato? That is really inconvenient.

If there's no way to link the Beatport Pro iTunes file to Serato, then currently this software is really limited.
deejdave 10:13 PM - 5 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Yeah, dragging and dropping songs from the BP window in Serato? That is really inconvenient.

If there's no way to link the Beatport Pro iTunes file to Serato, then currently this software is really limited.

Beatport Pro came out two weeks ago. I don't think calling an application that has not yet offer full compatibility with a two week old program is very fair. Furthermore this not being very universal or standard Serato may not ever choose to offer full integration with it.

Serato has been accused of favoring Apple computers. My guess is that offering full integration with an application that is only available to Mac users would only amplify this label.
Joe Fresh 6:56 AM - 6 May, 2014
Quote:
Beatport Pro came out two weeks ago. I don't think calling an application that has not yet offer full compatibility with a two week old program is very fair. Furthermore this not being very universal or standard Serato may not ever choose to offer full integration with it.

Amen. Much too early to complain, or make assumptions for the worse.

I've heard that Serato will eventually be able to read the "special" tags (mood, set time, energy, etc.) that Beatport Pro writes. For now, you'll still have to add the tracks into Serato DJ yourself, or rescan tags for tracks that were already in your Serato library and were tagged in Beatport Pro. A seamless integration between both programs would make this process much easier, but no signs of that yet. Hey, you never know!
DJ Remy USA 12:30 PM - 6 May, 2014
ITUNES FTW...just trolling
deejdave 9:06 PM - 6 May, 2014
Trolling indeed LOL. We all know iTunes sux!!!
Entro 8:39 PM - 8 May, 2014
I actually quite like the program and will probably continue to use it as a tag editor. All I'm saying is that it would be nice, since it has all these fancy filtered playlist options, to actually, you know, SEE those playlists in Serato.

From what I gather though, Serato discourages using the iTunes library function anyway. So maybe just using BP2 as a powerful tag editor is fine.
Joe Fresh 8:43 PM - 8 May, 2014
I can see it being used as a tool for preparation before a gig. As it is right now, it's too cumbersome to use during the gig, having two windows open, dragging tracks from one program to another. But you could definitely use it beforehand to pick out the tracks you'll need for that night and drop them into a crate.
Joe Fresh 8:43 PM - 8 May, 2014
On another note, is anyone else having issues with Beatport Pro re-adding tracks you deleted when you open the program?
Hitman303 5:55 PM - 15 June, 2015
anyone using it with its new updates and releases. I know it supports video files and also has smart playlists.
DJPaps 9:34 PM - 6 November, 2015
read through all this but couldn't find an answer...

Is there still no sync capability with Serato DJ like there is with iTunes?

I really want to get away from iTunes...