Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

USB Drop Outs and Red Light

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
Big Pops 5:12 AM - 14 April, 2014
I have been having constant USB drop outs and red light on my Mac . This is a problem I have with SDJ , I have made help request before, I have tried your optimized suggestions with no luck, don't even ask about when I use Serato Video plug in , it only get worse.
I have a mid 2010 MBP with 8GB Ram.
Please advise,
dj-freestyle 4:37 PM - 14 April, 2014
So what are specs for laptop? that maybe issue.
dj-freestyle 4:37 PM - 14 April, 2014
what core and stuff.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 1:19 AM - 15 April, 2014
Hey Big Pops,

Could I please have your computers full specs and a list of all USB devices that are connected?

Also let me know what the buffer size is set to in the software.

Cheers, Sam
Big Pops 1:46 AM - 15 April, 2014
Sam GG I have a MBP 2.3 GHZ Core i5 with 8GB Ram, 320GB hard drive running Mac OSX 10.9.2
Connected to my USB is my Pioneer DDJ SX and a external hard drive
Buffer is currently set to 10
I also own Serato Video plug in
Serato, Support
Sam GG 2:23 AM - 15 April, 2014
Hey,

As a test could you please try moving your buffer all the way to the right hand side? Does this improve the issue at all? Is there any noticeable change?

Sam
Big Pops 2:39 AM - 15 April, 2014
Sam I have tried that with no luck, it even gets worse when I use Serato video
Big Pops 2:54 AM - 15 April, 2014
Sam do you think it has anything to do with how the firmware for the DDJ SX handles the software
Serato, Support
Sam GG 3:05 AM - 15 April, 2014
Have you been through all of these steps here: serato.com

Quote:
Sam do you think it has anything to do with how the firmware for the DDJ SX handles the software

I don't think so.. Are you using the latest firmware from here: pioneerdj.com ?
Big Pops 3:54 AM - 15 April, 2014
I have been through this already and no change and yes I have the latest firmware. This seems to be a ongoing issue on this forum, lots of users are reporting USB drop out and Red light coming on . So I a quite sure I am not doing anything wrong. May be it's time Serato look at the software in regards to CPU and RAM usage.
Big Pops 2:52 PM - 15 April, 2014
Sam is ther any special settings for Serato video
dj-freestyle 4:10 PM - 15 April, 2014
The new serato with ptich n time takes a ton of power to use. Im guessing the i5 core is struggling to keep up. thats my guess.
Draven1327 4:31 PM - 15 April, 2014
@big pops just for yucks try raising the main volume n the sx to almost full, somewhere around 2 o'clock and lowering the gains per channel to compensate.

i did this for a few gigs and i didn't get any red lights. i have never had drop outs but who knows maybe it might band-aid until there is a ix
dj-freestyle 4:45 PM - 15 April, 2014
also raise the auto gain higher if you are using auto gain? whats it set at?
poppakool 12:52 AM - 16 April, 2014
I HAVE THE DDJ SR. I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. WHAT I DID WAS TURN THE MASTER UP. THE SPEAKERS UP AND LOWER THE GAINS. YOU HAVE TO LOWER THE GAINS ON THE UNIT. WHERE THEY WON'T GO IN THE RED ZONE.
dj-freestyle 3:50 PM - 16 April, 2014
if you re-analyze tracks in the latest update of serato dj they lowered the volume output so it helps a lot.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 8:55 PM - 16 April, 2014
These are all good suggestions, thanks guys.

Big Pops,

Are you getting AUDIBLE dropouts or are you only getting a Red flash occasionally on the USB light?

Sam
Big Pops 10:10 PM - 16 April, 2014
It's a red flash on the USB
Serato, Support
Sam GG 10:15 PM - 27 April, 2014
Hey Big Pops,

Just confirming you get a red flash but NO AUDIBLE dropout.

The USB light flashing red does not mean that a dropout has occurred. The way the USB audio stream works we only have access to parts of it. The USB light indicator relies on measurements taken in our software and then also an estimate where audio is handled by a 3rd party audio driver (made by the manufacturer of your controller). We err on the side of caution with these estimates and this can result in the red light showing on your screen but no USB dropout being heard.

What this means is that you are close to the running capacity of your system, if you put much more stress on it you would likely get audio dropouts as well.

Sam
Big Pops 11:07 PM - 8 June, 2014
Hey Sam GG the problem still exist , never had this high CPU and Dropout problem with a Itch or SSL , I have also notice since version 1.5.2 it got worst.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 12:01 AM - 9 June, 2014
Hey Big Pops,

Did you read the post that I made on the 28th of April? Does that help answer your questions?

Sam
Big Pops 12:46 AM - 9 June, 2014
I have read the post , still didn't answer my question of why CPU usage in SDJ is so much higher than SSL and ITCH. Also look at the spec above of my MBP, I also use traktor at times with the same library and my CPU usage is about half what it is with SDJ.
Also I have ask you is there a special settings for Serato Video to get maximum performance.
Sam GG it's very frustrating at times to see that these issues has been a major topic on the forum for a while now since SDJ came into play .
I am not saying that the development team is not looking into this, but there must be a reason for the high CPU, either it's a software issue or it's a hardware firmware issue.
Thanks in advance for your help , and I do hope that this issue could be sorted out.
Serato, Support
Sam GG 4:17 AM - 9 June, 2014
Hey Big Pops,

Are you still getting AUDIBLE dropouts or are you only seeing the light flash? Thats what I was trying to explain above, as you may not be receiving a dropout you could just be getting a warning:

Quote:
The USB light flashing red does not mean that a dropout has occurred. The way the USB audio stream works we only have access to parts of it. The USB light indicator relies on measurements taken in our software and then also an estimate where audio is handled by a 3rd party audio driver (made by the manufacturer of your controller). We err on the side of caution with these estimates and this can result in the red light showing on your screen but no USB dropout being heard.

The reason SDJ uses more CPU than our older programs is due the the fact it has a lot more going on. Scratch Live is almost 10 years old now, the reason it runs on low resources is because it was built a long time ago.

I would like you to try this guide here as it may reduce your CPU load a little further: dj.rane.com

I am really interested to hear the symptoms of your CPU running high. How does it affect your performance?

Sam
Big Pops 4:52 AM - 9 June, 2014
Sam I am ahead of you, already tried rann guide.
Don't even mention if I use Serato Video,
Normally if I load a track in a deck it's about half, if I use FX it jumps up another 25% according to the amount of FX and the type. If I use Serato Video it runs about just below the red line.
Honestly don't know what else to try.
Big Pops 5:02 AM - 9 June, 2014
Is there anyway you could log into my system and see
Serato, Support
Sam GG 1:06 AM - 10 June, 2014
Quote:
Normally if I load a track in a deck it's about half, if I use FX it jumps up another 25% according to the amount of FX and the type. If I use Serato Video it runs about just below the red line.
Honestly don't know what else to try.

What about this is a problem? How does it affect your performance?
Big Pops 4:25 AM - 10 June, 2014
At times if it do hit the read the audio cuts out