Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

problem with mp3 loops

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
djpetey 11:17 AM - 3 November, 2004
this isnt an ssl problem, its more like a problem with my general digital music knowledge.... I use cool edit for my basic editing and for some reason, when I save something as an mp3, it adds a little bit of silence at the beginning and end of the mp3..... I was trying to play with the looping feature and itd be really cool if I could start to use small loops instead of full song instrumental files.... is this silence the way all mp3s are saved? or just a glitch in cool edit? or just a setting that I cant seem to find? any help would be appreciated.... also, if it is a cool edit issue, are there any free windows apps that you would reccomend for basic mp3 file editing?
nik39 12:24 PM - 3 November, 2004
I dont think that this is a glitch of cool edit, its just that mp3 audio data is stored in frames, and IIRC the frame sizes concerning playlenght are even variable. Anyway, the problem is, that you cant always get seemless loops if you use mp3 and loop the whole mp3 file. Either you use a format which gives you sample accuracy (like any uncompressed formats .wav .aif) or you have to wait until we can define the loops inside SSL.
djpetey 1:28 PM - 3 November, 2004
that makes sense.... I was playing around with the length of the loop and settings and nothing seemed to work.... ok, I'll wait til we can set loops inside ssl..... thanks for the help
radish 4:18 PM - 4 November, 2004
Just to note that if you don't want to use wav, use Ogg, it doesn't have this problem.