DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Everyone is a f*cking DJ? Did I start at a wrong time?

fresher 3:58 PM - 10 February, 2009
Seriously, I waited 10 years to begin my dream of DJing, and now it seems like everyone I know is becoming a f*cking DJ. Honestly, I see all this on MySpace and its driving me nuts.. Does anyone feel the same?? All this hype is kind of pissing me off because a lot of these people don't love music, they do it for the title.. does anyone feel the same or see the same thing as me?!
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:05 PM - 10 February, 2009
YES!!!!! I was talking about this the other day at the club, I heard a friend of mine was throwing a party and i was like dude ill spin it and he started naming off people who were wanting to spin(like 50 people) and ive known these people for years and they have NEVER even wanted to spin. He was like ya they all just bought equipment, oh so and so and so and so ect ect ect are also buying equipment. I was like shit are you kidding me im going to have to sell my equipment just to be different i mean shit someone gotta be on the dancefloor when theres line or 200 to dj.

The problem is there are finally cheap options to get people into it so instead of having a 1500 dollar minimum barrier not for like 500 bucks or less anyone wan get decent equipment to get by. And theres tons of options to cheat and make it easier.

I think the final straw was about a month ago I ran into a friend of mine who i hadnt seen in like 3 weeks (at which point he had never djed in his life) and he was telling people he had been on tour and he had a new residency. I asked him what kinda decks he had and his reply...oh just the normal ones. I was dumfounded. Come to find out he HAD convinced a bar owner to let him spin and he trainwrecks every song......fukin sad
DJ CISC0 4:06 PM - 10 February, 2009
It is frustrating at times because it does seem that way to me. I really don't sweat it because all those who DJ for the wrong reasons will eventually fade away.

10 years? Why did you wait so long anyway? What exactly do you mean by that?
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:08 PM - 10 February, 2009
Quote:
It is frustrating at times because it does seem that way to me. I really don't sweat it because all those who DJ for the wrong reasons will eventually fade away.

It took me about that long to get started too, not everyones got the funds to get good equipment to get started. FOr me college wasnt cheap, i REALLY wish i had started in college though cause all that time goofin off in my dorm woulda been great for practicin
icec 4:10 PM - 10 February, 2009
Well, i was thinking... if everyone is becoming a dj for the wrong reasons, then don't you think the "phase" will die out? I do. if all of your friends are djing because they want the title and they think it's cool, and don't love the fundamentals of it - it won't last. djing will go out of fashion soon and it will go back to being more low low. Pop culture is in a constant cycle.
fresher 4:13 PM - 10 February, 2009
Quote:

Well I was 12 years old when I wanted to spin but my Mom wouldn't buy me a set.. so here I am at 22 and I'm finally making enough money to buy my set =\
fresher 4:13 PM - 10 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

It took me about that long to get started too, not everyones got the funds to get good equipment to get started. FOr me college wasnt cheap, i REALLY wish i had started in college though cause all that time goofin off in my dorm woulda been great for practicin

Yup exactly!
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:16 PM - 10 February, 2009
Mabye, but think of it like this, DJs will always be the center of attn in the club, theyll always have pull in the clubs, get a good bit of extra cash and easy poon tang. The people who dont last will be quickly replaced by the new kids who want that. The desire for money and puss will never die out or cycle, and as time progrsses its getting easier and easier to get into this. Their inventing new products every day that let people with no music knowledge get by as an average dj.....just go on limewire download the 10 songs you heard on the radio\mtv all day load em into traktor, auto beatmatch and you look lik eyou know what your doing.
fresher 4:17 PM - 10 February, 2009
Quote:
YES!!!!! I was talking about this the other day at the club, I heard a friend of mine was throwing a party and i was like dude ill spin it and he started naming off people who were wanting to spin(like 50 people) and ive known these people for years and they have NEVER even wanted to spin. He was like ya they all just bought equipment, oh so and so and so and so ect ect ect are also buying equipment. I was like shit are you kidding me im going to have to sell my equipment just to be different i mean shit someone gotta be on the dancefloor when theres line or 200 to dj.

The problem is there are finally cheap options to get people into it so instead of having a 1500 dollar minimum barrier not for like 500 bucks or less anyone wan get decent equipment to get by. And theres tons of options to cheat and make it easier.

I think the final straw was about a month ago I ran into a friend of mine who i hadnt seen in like 3 weeks (at which point he had never djed in his life) and he was telling people he had been on tour and he had a new residency. I asked him what kinda decks he had and his reply...oh just the normal ones. I was dumfounded. Come to find out he HAD convinced a bar owner to let him spin and he trainwrecks every song......fukin sad

Exactly!! That's what I'm talking about. Its such a trip when you speak or hear of someone you know who you TRULY know doesn't have their heart set on spinning and here they are at a club/bar/lounge, fronting and putting themselves on blast on how bad ass of a DJ they are and this and that.. so frustrating, but then when you find out that they had to beg or they trainwrecked their way throughout the night..that's a priceless feeling..haha
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:21 PM - 10 February, 2009
Ya it was priceless I started messing with him we would say stuff like 'man i dont get f'ed up anymore cause you cant spin when your fed up' and i would say the opposit e like dude i stay f'ed up while spinning, and he would change his answer to match mine like i mean i get f'ed up i mean i spin better f'ed up.

The best part to the story was I know a girl who saw him 'spin' apparently he jumped on the decks played 1 somg trainwreked into the next, skit, trainwreked into the next. Then he turned the power to the mixer off and started yelling on stage that the equipment was to shitty and he was too good to put up with it and left HAHAHA
Chrisjin 4:21 PM - 10 February, 2009
What sucks worse with this trend is that the DJ Hero game is going to increase this nonsense.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:22 PM - 10 February, 2009
whats gonna be great is when they release a MIDI serato\traktor thats based on the controller from the game.....
fresher 4:24 PM - 10 February, 2009
Quote:
Ya it was priceless I started messing with him we would say stuff like 'man i dont get f'ed up anymore cause you cant spin when your fed up' and i would say the opposit e like dude i stay f'ed up while spinning, and he would change his answer to match mine like i mean i get f'ed up i mean i spin better f'ed up.

The best part to the story was I know a girl who saw him 'spin' apparently he jumped on the decks played 1 somg trainwreked into the next, skit, trainwreked into the next. Then he turned the power to the mixer off and started yelling on stage that the equipment was to shitty and he was too good to put up with it and left HAHAHA

LMAO!! Imagine being able to actually see him do that on stage.
fresher 4:26 PM - 10 February, 2009
Quote:
What sucks worse with this trend is that the DJ Hero game is going to increase this nonsense.

I just Google'd DJ Hero....

:shakes head:
sixxx 4:27 PM - 10 February, 2009
1. Yes. You started too late. 10 years is a long ass time to wait. You're a girl, you shouldve worked your lady charm to get your stuff sooner.

2. There are DJ's and then there ARE DJ's. Having the title DJ doesnt automatically make you one. Experience and skills do. Notice I mentioned experience first.

3. Do you. (no masturbation) The moment you start caring too much about what other people are doing is the moment youre gonna get lost in the game. Who cares where anyone else is... just keep doing your thing. Have goals. Meet them.
fresher 4:29 PM - 10 February, 2009
Quote:
1. Yes. You started too late. 10 years is a long ass time to wait. You're a girl, you shouldve worked your lady charm to get your stuff sooner.

2. There are DJ's and then there ARE DJ's. Having the title DJ doesnt automatically make you one. Experience and skills do. Notice I mentioned experience first.

3. Do you. (no masturbation) The moment you start caring too much about what other people are doing is the moment youre gonna get lost in the game. Who cares where anyone else is... just keep doing your thing. Have goals. Meet them.

Freakin' Sixxx, you never fail me on your responses.

1. I wish I could of used it, but since I'm Filipino and the oldest of 4, it doesn't work that way!

2. Word.

3. Word again, I just had to vent :sigh:
Chrisjin 4:33 PM - 10 February, 2009
Soon Xboxes will be part of peoples rigs at venues. Hahah we were talking about bringing my friends brothers Rockband setup at the spot for kicks. Have flyers made reading live band incorporated with a DJ
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:38 PM - 10 February, 2009
hahah can you see 5 years from now the quivilent of TRV$DJAM will be a guy on rockband being accompied by a guy playing DJ hero
sixxx 4:38 PM - 10 February, 2009
Venting is good and seekinjg answers is always good too.

btw, my friend's brother who is also Filipino waited 2 years. He begged every relative and his parents for money instead of any gifts during any gift giving occasion. I taught him how to DJ at 15 using his own equipment. :)
remember, when there's a will, there's always a way.

How are you progressing? All good?
sixxx 4:40 PM - 10 February, 2009
Sorry.... driving while typing.... lol
Niro 4:41 PM - 10 February, 2009
It's never too late to start, shit I started last year and I went on tour and have a new residency. It was way easier than everyone was telling me. Sometimes I even use my shoe to move the fader up and down. I don't get all the fuss and why everyone things it's so hard to switch the fader from one song the next. I mean sometimes I don't even have to do it, itunes has an option to automatically do it for me.

Keep doing what you keep doing, at least you get free drinks at the bar.

Niros
Chrisjin 4:43 PM - 10 February, 2009
^ Is this serious?
sixxx 4:46 PM - 10 February, 2009
lol Niro
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:46 PM - 10 February, 2009
i want to sence the sarcasim........looking for it hard......mabye its over there right back
sixxx 4:56 PM - 10 February, 2009
Yup. If you didn't get service from record labels, you were essentially fucked. Lol (no misquote)
sixxx 4:57 PM - 10 February, 2009
Oh yeah, unless you bought compilation series.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:58 PM - 10 February, 2009
not even just vinyl, before you ever touched a vinyl you needed to purchase 2 turntables and a mixer, for a decent set lets say over all you had to drop 1500 dollars to get started. Most people who dont have passion for music wouldnt have dropped 1000 to 1500 on something they may not even be able to do
Sam Diamond 5:16 PM - 10 February, 2009
What would actually make DJ Hero interesting is having the player start by spinning at weddings, teen parties and in crappy bars working their way up to mega-gigs.

As with any profession, there are people who want the perks without the sacrifice. They see DJ'ing as an "easy job" with elevated importance in the room. The ones who want to take short-cuts to the spot light fall by the wayside quickly.

• Avoid the wanna-bes (Unless you're charging them to learn from you)
• Surround yourself with people who love the craft as much as you do. Enthusiasm is contagious
• Never be satisfied with your performance. Always look to improve.
• Be versatile in what you can do, but don't be afraid to specialize. If you want to be the king of Drum N' Bass, DIVE IN!! But understand that for a few months while you're immersing yourself in that, you may not be able to keep up with what's going on in CHR or Country.
dj shortbus 5:18 PM - 10 February, 2009
true and most dj's new back when i started would come over to my house to play on my gear cause I was one a few that techs back then.....then when the cdjs came out the same thing.......funny story though....I started using serato over 4 years ago and first time i brought to the club the promoter was like what is that.....and gave me the whole its cheating bullshit and blah bla blah.......speed up 4 years and im going back to headline that club in 2 weeks and he told me that he is now using Serato and that they have one dedicated in the club........and then i said to him "arent you cheating?" all of us have heard this same shit everywhere we went back then...and now look...its everywhere......better to be trendsetters!
agentorange 5:18 PM - 10 February, 2009
this was my response to another thread: "DJs I'm TIRED OF...."

"whack promoters and whack djs that saturate the market, so good djs have to take paycuts because they're all over the place.

DJS!!!!! - DON'T DJ CLUBS IF YOU KNOW YOU AREN'T THAT GOOD!""

yes this is definitely the time that whack djs are joining the scene. sounds kinda crzy, but they probably need to reprice dj equipment as a deterrent for dumb, well-to-do kids from buying equipment.

suckas-step off!!!
Jader 5:22 PM - 10 February, 2009
Quote:

aw man you're right
Niro 5:34 PM - 10 February, 2009
I'm serious, I had over 10,000 songs on my Ipod before I ever started DJing and pre-serato. Turntables and a mixer, no worries, bought me a top of line DJ pack. It came in a simple to put together box, so I don't get all of the fuss. DJing is easy, don't get all the hype.

A funny thing happened the other night, this douche bag of a DJ thought he was so great because he could beat match two songs together. He started to talk shit, when I went to plug in my Ipod into the line (I don't use it the whole night, I only use it part of the night, because it has some exclusive blog-house tracks on there) back to the story. Krushed it that night, pushed play on "Low" threw my hands up and the crowd went nuts. Didn't have to beat-match one song. Guess who's gonna be getting the call back from the middle school to do headline the next dance?

Case closed.

Niros
Niro 5:41 PM - 10 February, 2009
If you don't think I'm serious, here are some pictures of my gear. Check out the white colored records and gold turntables Rane hooked me up with.

i4.photobucket.com

at a house party

www.djfeniks.com

at the club
i55.photobucket.com

Setting up at the high school dance
picasaweb.google.com

Check yo self!

Niros
Chrisjin 5:46 PM - 10 February, 2009
Quote:
If you don't think I'm serious, here are some pictures of my gear. Check out the white colored records and gold turntables Rane hooked me up with.

i4.photobucket.com

Niros

I like the little gramophone trophy you got there
djmatrix 5:46 PM - 10 February, 2009
Quote:

Also, not everybody has a father that was a dj, where you can play around with his equipment at the age of 11, and to have an actual love for the art is definetly part of the equation as well. Fast forward 16 years later, and I still love doing it, I've slowed down dramatically since I now have a wife and kid, but just let me keep on doing it on my spare time and I'm happy. Going on tour, that is just a bonus for me, just don't take me away from at least recording my self on my 1200's from time to time!
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:50 PM - 10 February, 2009
Quote:

i4.photobucket.com

at a house party

www.djfeniks.com

at the club
i55.photobucket.com

Setting up at the high school dance
picasaweb.google.com

Check yo self!

Niros

HAHA thats classic I know your playing but the ...im just playing im really not a shitty dj see look I have white vinyl so i must be good arugment is the best
Niro 5:51 PM - 10 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

i4.photobucket.com

Niros

Pimpin Ain't Easy
Youngish MC 6:16 PM - 10 February, 2009
Yes you started at the wrong time. Unfortunately the 5 million other hacks and posers ruined it for you. I know it sucks. How about drums?
djmatrix 6:24 PM - 10 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

i4.photobucket.com

Niros

HA HA, funny, Niro let me ask you something. You're saying DJ is not hard, can you easily say that you can play any genre with no problem? Also, I saw that pic on eBay, those turntables retail for over $600 per deck, are you the one selling those or did you save the image from eBay?
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:30 PM - 10 February, 2009
good eye matrix....BTW have yo found the easteregg yet??
Jader 6:35 PM - 10 February, 2009
damn niro, that high school dance rig you have looks quite mighty.
Dj-Pyro 6:50 PM - 10 February, 2009
Niro is da man. When he's touring Asia, banging Euro sluts he lets me use his gear and his skateboard. He's a true friend.
djmatrix 7:26 PM - 10 February, 2009
I actually saw that same exact pic on eBay when I was looking for a pair of DZ's for sale (typed in technics turntable so the search would not miss out anything) and I happened to get side tracked by the discription. I mean Bezzle you have to admit that pic is hard to forget, and even though I have a photographic memory, the way the TT's were set up, I knew almost instantly home boy hovered his mouse over the image and waited for the options to pop up to save. I know because I was thinking of using the same image as a background screen for my computer. Sorry just totally hijacked this thread.
4mydawgz 8:13 PM - 10 February, 2009
I have to scratch my head at anyone using iTunes or an iPod for help DJ'n.
djmatrix 8:20 PM - 10 February, 2009
Because ipod does the mixing for you, just random songs matched toghether by the program, it takes human creativity to produce a good set. You can't mix a thug song immediatly after a song about love and peace! The beats may match, but that don't mean you can do it, people will catch on, and someone will quickly get bored with you once they can figure out what you going to play next, trust me, I've seen big named dj's do this, so imagine if you are some wannabe came along with a repetative playlist.
dj_soo 8:24 PM - 10 February, 2009
phht, you're a girl - just show some cleavage and you'll get more bookings than most.
Niro 11:35 PM - 10 February, 2009
Are you guys insisting I copied those pictures from Ebay?

And Euro sluts are the shit, when you heading back to Asia Pyro?

Niros
sixxx 11:48 PM - 10 February, 2009
lol Niro.... nice hook you got there. (no misquote)

:)
Kadilac 12:00 AM - 11 February, 2009
It's all Niro's fault!!
He makes me want to be a DJ!!.....wait......damn.
4mydawgz 3:18 AM - 11 February, 2009
Quote:
I'm serious, I had over 10,000 songs on my Ipod before I ever started DJing and pre-serato. Turntables and a mixer, no worries, bought me a top of line DJ pack. It came in a simple to put together box, so I don't get all of the fuss. DJing is easy, don't get all the hype.

A funny thing happened the other night, this douche bag of a DJ thought he was so great because he could beat match two songs together. He started to talk shit, when I went to plug in my Ipod into the line (I don't use it the whole night, I only use it part of the night, because it has some exclusive blog-house tracks on there) back to the story. Krushed it that night, pushed play on "Low" threw my hands up and the crowd went nuts. Didn't have to beat-match one song. Guess who's gonna be getting the call back from the middle school to do headline the next dance?

Case closed.

Niros

wait! oh i get. he is being funny, right?

right?
Dj-Pyro 3:34 AM - 11 February, 2009
Hey Niro, I go to Asia April 14 - June 9. Trying to get hit up Taichung, Taipei, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore, but i'd be happy spinning in Kenting, Taiwan and just be a beach bum for 2 months :) You decide if you're going out there this year?
Laz219 5:59 AM - 11 February, 2009
I wonder how long the trend is going to last, maybe we should put bets on it.

Anyway, my second job is a photographer (and that's what I usually tell people is my job unless it is somebody relevant to the DJ industry because I don't want to sound like I'm one of these people that just wants to tell everybody they are a DJ)
Pretty much, the same thing has happened to photography- all the big companies started realising 'pro-style' cameras which are the same format as what most pro's use. So now there are a heap of people making themselves a webpage advertising for photography jobs because they think with their fancy new camera they will be able to do it. Photography is similar to DJing with traktor/serato with pitch/beat matching...the equipment can do so much for you but in the end without having real knowledge your going to mess up.

Either way, the "i'm a photographer trend" has started to die out, hopefully the DJing one will follow.
fresher 4:02 PM - 11 February, 2009
Quote:
Venting is good and seekinjg answers is always good too.

btw, my friend's brother who is also Filipino waited 2 years. He begged every relative and his parents for money instead of any gifts during any gift giving occasion. I taught him how to DJ at 15 using his own equipment. :)
remember, when there's a will, there's always a way.

How are you progressing? All good?

Haha, true, however, the difference with your boy is exactly that, HE'S A BOY! I'm a girl. Filipino women, especially if they are the oldest, have the responsibility of taking care of their siblings. And I, being the good obedient daughter that I am, did so. But its all good, my heart is set on spinning so anytime is a good time for myself to start I suppose. As far as progression, I'm doing good! I've been practicing and just focusing on learning and what not. Not trying to focus on gettting gigs like ya'll said. Gotta learn to swim better before I jump in that pool again.
fresher 4:11 PM - 11 February, 2009
Quote:
phht, you're a girl - just show some cleavage and you'll get more bookings than most.

Haha, I am a girl but I don't want to be a www.dollhousedj.com
kalibhakta 5:46 PM - 11 February, 2009
^LOL^ You're totally fine, that starting too late nonsense is nonsense.
Niro 5:57 PM - 11 February, 2009
There's nothing wrong with an Ipod, it's suppose to about the music.

Actually I'm over Just DJing music, my homies teaching me how to be a VJ. Walmart had a sale and I went and picked up 2 DVD players for $70 and a video splitter for $30. He said all of the video mixers are over rated and he's been doing it for years this way. You hook up the yellow cable to the video splitter and the red and white cable to your mixer and Viola! you're a VJ.

I can't wait, people are gonna go nuts.
sixxx 6:03 PM - 11 February, 2009
lol Niro
sixxx 6:03 PM - 11 February, 2009
fresher, I forgot about the whole sexism in Filipino culture. :P
agentorange 6:09 PM - 11 February, 2009
Niro, you're funny bro! i was reading while i was eating. i got salad chunks in my nostrils. hahahah

also, yo i went across your page, i see you've done the bali circuit, just curious, my boy is out there djing too. his name is dj xtra josh, cool as hell!!! he's from HI and CA. if you see him, tell him i want to buy ocean front property there!!!! matter fact, i should put him on this site....
djmatrix 8:50 PM - 11 February, 2009
Niro, seriously stop hijacking the thread, the girl here is probably more of a DJ than you will ever be, I don't know weather you are dissin' the art or just clownin'. If you clownin' I do admit that last one was funny though.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:03 PM - 11 February, 2009
daaaaaaaaaaammmmmmnnnnnnnn matrix thrown down the gauntlet,,,,,,,Tommy Yo Tommy, you gonna let him get away with that? You gonna let this fucking punk get away with that? What's the matter? What's the world coming to? (goodfellas quote not really callin anyone a punk )
The New Guy 9:21 PM - 11 February, 2009
Quote:
daaaaaaaaaaammmmmmnnnnnnnn matrix thrown down the gauntlet,,,,,,,Tommy Yo Tommy, you gonna let him get away with that? You gonna let this fucking punk get away with that? What's the matter? What's the world coming to? (goodfellas quote not really callin anyone a punk )

HAHA I knew that was from somewhere!
djmatrix 10:01 PM - 11 February, 2009
Quote:

It's all good, that was a good movie btw. Listen, I'm sure we all are having fun here, and if I came off a little harsh, sorry. But I hate it when people take this art as some pre school joke. Me personally, I do love to make money as a DJ, and like the other person who's a photographer, the only time I drop the hint that I'm a DJ is if they in the biz and I could help them out or vice versa. I love the fact I can actually see people have a good time and not complain when I get up on them decks, not because of the fact I can bang various chicks at every club I go to (have to admit when puberty hit, that did come to mind, however I'm now married and my life has changed physically and spiritually), but I still had the same passion for it when I started at age 11. My pops did it, and I kind of see it as a legacy, and he was good at it, so yes I take it personally when wannabees start treating the biz like some Nintendo game.
djmatrix 10:04 PM - 11 February, 2009
Quote:
Are you guys insisting I copied those pictures from Ebay?

Of course!
Niro 10:21 PM - 11 February, 2009
Quote:
Niro, seriously stop hijacking the thread, the girl here is probably more of a DJ than you will ever be, I don't know weather you are dissin' the art or just clownin'. If you clownin' I do admit that last one was funny though.

First off you can Lick my Nuts on your way down to my booty hole and please bring some jelly.

Second of all, I'm doing both. Dissing and clowning DJing. Why may you ask, because somethings need to be said. If you take something too seriously, than you become as wack as the poser trying to imitate. You are blinded and don't realize or accept the corny or stupid attributes of whatever your doing.

Third: No I didn't copy those pictures from Ebay.

Forth: The author of the thread is pissed off, because she waited so long to do it and now she's mad because everyone else is also doing it. That's somewhat hypocritical, because everyone's reason is valid. Loving music has nothing to do with DJing. Stay home and listen to your music. So am I dissing and clowning, yup.

Fifth: She maybe more of a DJ than me, but I'm still more of a DJ than you.

Sixxx: It's 2009, don't be ashamed to eat a Dick.

Love
Niros
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:36 PM - 11 February, 2009
bout time something interested happened on this board again
The New Guy 10:43 PM - 11 February, 2009
haha...jelly...
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:44 PM - 11 February, 2009
mint or grape??
The New Guy 10:45 PM - 11 February, 2009
mint would have a tingling feeling!
DouggyFresh 10:46 PM - 11 February, 2009
I haven't been DJing very long myself (less than a year) and I get a lot of hate and flack for it, but I spent over a year as a light tech for the club for free before I got my chance. I came in every night before open, shut everything down at the end of the night, helped DJ's unload & connect their equipment to the club system. Ended up learning the lighting system (ShowCAD) and making new light cues. 6 months later I designed the lighting system for the owner's new club. Actually got paid to light tech there, then I started filling in spots when the DJs called in or there was a special event.

I know this girl who's been DJing a little longer than me, who is hatin' because I spin 2-3 nights a week now between the owner's 3 clubs. She's never put any time in, she just expects to make a few demos and land a club gig. I got her a gig at a small bar and tanked that...

All my friends are club DJ's, who taught me what I know now. Mixing is only one small fraction of a good DJ. Song selection, stage presence, mic presence... I sat in as the resident for a DJ battle last Sunday, had this one guy doing scratch tricks with a boxing glove on...another part he picked up his TTM57SL and was beat juggling single handed... Sick..

Spending 3-4 hours a day checking out new tracks, going through your music, learning new skills... it's stuff none of us get paid extra to do but it's the thing that separates the good DJ's from the bad DJ's. I sit every day trying to improve my turntablism skills (and after playing a few songs on my friend's 1200's last night I think I might go back to turntables again).

And as far as the title... well if these cats are DJing for the title, thats a problem. I like to DJ because it feels good, I love the music, I love the crowd response... BTW - where is it these DJs are supposedly getting all these girls? I'm lucky to get a couple bucks in tips for requests... lol.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:52 PM - 11 February, 2009
HAHA ya the girl thing can be overrated, by the time i get off my clubs cleared and everyones already been at the afterhours spot for a minute, all the quality tail has either gone home and passed out drunk\shitty, or have found someone to fuck already....after hours spots are SOOO bad for finding quality poon!! Youll end up with some crazy bitch carvin her name in your hback haha
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:55 PM - 11 February, 2009
Quote:
I haven't been DJing very long myself (less than a year) and I get a lot of hate and flack for it, but I spent over a year as a light tech for the club for free before I got my chance. I came in every night before open, shut everything down at the end of the night, helped DJ's unload & connect their equipment to the club system. Ended up learning the lighting system (ShowCAD) and making new light cues. 6 months later I designed the lighting system for the owner's new club. Actually got paid to light tech there, then I started filling in spots when the DJs called in or there was a special event.

I know this girl who's been DJing a little longer than me, who is hatin' because I spin 2-3 nights a week now between the owner's 3 clubs. She's never put any time in, she just expects to make a few demos and land a club gig. I got her a gig at a small bar and tanked that...

All my friends are club DJ's, who taught me what I know now. Mixing is only one small fraction of a good DJ. Song selection, stage presence, mic presence... I sat in as the resident for a DJ battle last Sunday, had this one guy doing scratch tricks with a boxing glove on...another part he picked up his TTM57SL and was beat juggling single handed... Sick..

Spending 3-4 hours a day checking out new tracks, going through your music, learning new skills... it's stuff none of us get paid extra to do but it's the thing that separates the good DJ's from the bad DJ's. I sit every day trying to improve my turntablism skills (and after playing a few songs on my friend's 1200's last night I think I might go back to turntables again).

And as far as the title... well if these cats are DJing for the title, thats a problem. I like to DJ because it feels good, I love the music, I love the crowd response... BTW - where is it these DJs are supposedly getting all these girls? I'm lucky to get a couple bucks in tips for requests... lol.

It sounds like youve got a good handle on things and your in it for the right reasons, ive noticed people pigeonhole you into what you are when they meet you so if you were doing lights they assume you are a light guy and shouldnt be taking 'their' gigs DJing, I have a similar problem with alot of bouncers around here who are always wanting to get on the decks, a few of them have ran out and got lil package kits and want to be superstats now. I think people will dislike it when people dont stay in their lane, like i dont ever show up on a night and go hey im workin the door tonight, i know my role and play it......speaking of which for girls, forget djing the door guy is where its at
The New Guy 10:55 PM - 11 February, 2009
Quote:
HAHA ya the girl thing can be overrated, by the time i get off my clubs cleared and everyones already been at the afterhours spot for a minute, all the quality tail has either gone home and passed out drunk\shitty, or have found someone to fuck already....after hours spots are SOOO bad for finding quality poon!! Youll end up with some crazy bitch carvin her name in your hback haha

hahaha!
DouggyFresh 10:57 PM - 11 February, 2009
funny you mention the after hours bar... last Sunday after the club closed the manager, bartenders and some crazy old man customer who spent like 1000 bucks, we all packed up and rode out in the club's Hummer H2 20 passenger limo to the after hours bar..

and still no tail there... and we had a fuckin limo, grey goose & patron....
djmatrix 3:16 PM - 12 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

It sounds like youve got a good handle on things and your in it for the right reasons, ive noticed people pigeonhole you into what you are when they meet you so if you were doing lights they assume you are a light guy and shouldnt be taking 'their' gigs DJing, I have a similar problem with alot of bouncers around here who are always wanting to get on the decks, a few of them have ran out and got lil package kits and want to be superstats now. I think people will dislike it when people dont stay in their lane, like i dont ever show up on a night and go hey im workin the door tonight, i know my role and play it......speaking of which for girls, forget djing the door guy is where its at

I too agree, this guy no matter what is also a real DJ, no matter if he started late or not.
djmatrix 3:46 PM - 12 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

First off you can Lick my Nuts on your way down to my booty hole and please bring some jelly.

Think I forgot about you, trust me I didn't. First of all I did have an idea you were joking. I admit I was a bit harsh, but I meant what I said just like how you meant to come out of the closet like you just did with that comment, if you really wanted to shut me up, you would have proved your case in a civilized manner. But you know what, I can see you are fake and I am no longer going to entertain your childish behavior. Thank you.

Love,
Matrix

P.S. Oh, and I am definetly more of a DJ than you could ever dream of in your life, as a matter of fact, GET ONE!
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:47 PM - 12 February, 2009
Should I go ahead and start the DJMATRIX VS NIRO thread???
sixxx 3:54 PM - 12 February, 2009
hahahaha

Niro cracks me up. (no dick in 2009 thank you)

:P
djmatrix 4:18 PM - 12 February, 2009
i know my role and play it......speaking of which for girls, forget djing the door guy is where its at

Exactly, I did not start djing for chicks. I did it for the love of music, I even play an instrument (have not picked up my trombone in years, but constanplaiting on that), mixing and all that other stuff is a plus, and it is about the music, don't get twisted. Just had to put that out there.
chaka 5:19 PM - 12 February, 2009
Quote:

Agree with Cisco - i've probably been DJn longer than anyone on this forum - 25 years this October - and i've seen a lot of people and friends come and go, most of them who get in for any other reason than the music dissapear. Some other that go really do love the music - but have to choose between family and the wheels - and family usually comes first. I always hear the "worst day" story when then have to sell their rig - its like they lost a good dog. I actually have some friends kids who spin - and are much better than their pops

But I also don't think its in anybodys court to judge somebody - you were not the first DJ and you are not the best DJ - I realized this the first time i saw Qbert in 91'

So my advice is when you see a noob - give some advice where you can and hopefully they will become better in time - remember, you were there once.
peds 10:35 PM - 12 February, 2009
ive been djing since 1983 and the difference between then and now is knowledge and money back then it was harder to find shops for dj gear and when you found one the price would pin you back eg;standard tripod speaker stands now £40 then £150 each £300 the pair and i still use them now. ok 1210's still pricy but so many cheaper options about to start on,then theres the music i use to spend about £100 a week on vinyl and travel costs to get it, now at home and spend about £35 a month plus freebee stuff. the options are so much easier and more affordable with loans etc, which meens more on the bandwagon so it so its up to you to be the best individual dj you can and make it your style.
djmatrix 10:39 PM - 12 February, 2009
Rightfully so, I'm not saying I'm the best in the world. And, now I have a family, the club thing is pretty much over for me (not planning on selling my equipment though), but to each his own, a person who spins Hip Hop, may not be able to do Reggae, as supposed to one whe does mostly Country versus a Techno DJ.
djmatrix 10:40 PM - 12 February, 2009
Agreeing with chaka btw.
Zion-Prayz 5:03 AM - 13 February, 2009
There will always be people doing stuff for the popularity or because they think it will make money. If you love to DJ just do it and don't settle for being just like everybody else. There are always people who are going to take shortcuts or the easy way and in the beginning it may be frustrating but give it some time. They'll either crash and burn or move on to the next fad.

And on a side note, there actually are occasions where iTunes is enough : )
sixxx 6:24 PM - 13 February, 2009
I started many moons ago and have seen wanna be dj's come and go. It's cool cause they sell their equipment cheap. lol

Ive always done it cause I loved it. I was a bedroom DJ who did it for fun and never thought of doing clubs or radio... and eventually, when I'm retired, I will be back to being a bedroom DJ or possibly a dope ass mixtape (CD) DJ. I only do a couple mixtapes a year because of the lack of time but once Im done doing gigs, Im sure I'll be dropping mixtapes left and right.
djmatrix 10:15 PM - 13 February, 2009
Sixxx, I feel the same way!!!!!!
Niro 11:18 PM - 13 February, 2009
Quote:

Think I forgot about you, trust me I didn't. First of all I did have an idea you were joking. I admit I was a bit harsh, but I meant what I said just like how you meant to come out of the closet like you just did with that comment, if you really wanted to shut me up, you would have proved your case in a civilized manner. But you know what, I can see you are fake and I am no longer going to entertain your childish behavior. Thank you.

Love,
Matrix

P.S. Oh, and you are definetly more of a DJ than I could ever dream of in my life , as a matter of fact, I NEED TO GET ONE!

First off, Trust me I know you didn't forget about me (please refer to the 2009 statement)

Second, think about who's in the closet, I've have openly stated I was a lesbian and have no qualms about it.

Third, Shutting you up in a civilized manner, what that include a mouth full of D's.

Forth, I never claimed to be anything, so I don't understand being fake.

Fifth, who started it by being harsh.

Sixxx, it's 2009, don't be ashamed of playing the skin flute.

Sincerely
Niros
sixxx 12:26 AM - 14 February, 2009
hahahahaha Niro!

The crazy thing is I read your entire post... and then the last part just makes me lol big time!!! hahahahaha (no homo)
Mr. Goodkat 10:50 PM - 14 February, 2009
Quote:
I'm serious, .......

Guess who's gonna be getting the call back from the middle school to do headline the next dance?

Case closed.

Niros

headlining the middle school dance. BALLIN!111
Mr. Goodkat 10:55 PM - 14 February, 2009
my prob is not the amount of djs, its guys that have been spinning for 1 yr buggin about gigs and getting booked. take some time and have some respect for the game.

think crock pot and not microwave. season and marinate. it takes time.
djmatrix 7:22 AM - 15 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Love,
Matrix

P.S. Oh, and you are definetly more of a DJ than I could ever dream of in my life , as a matter of fact, I NEED TO GET ONE!

First off, Trust me I know you didn't forget about me (please refer to the 2009 statement)

Niro,

What part of I'm done with you do you not understand, that comeback was mad corny and I think you should just chill out, drink a brew and just jump on another forum and show thousands of other strangers how non-creative you are. Lesbian? Could you please remind me how......... oh you are a chick. Or a shemale, remember you asked me to lick something I do not wish to do, neither does sixxx. You, I don't know, I have no words for you, all I can say is if you are a girl and that was you in that middle school pic, then you are one big lady, seriously dude (sorry I mean dudet) I am done with you admit defeat. Move on, this is really getting old. Hey if you started just last year, and landed tours and gigs by shear luck (which you probably did anyway....watch for the rolling eyes) then you are going to fall flat on your face with an additude like that, have a good life, sorry I hurt your feelings.

Matrix
Second, think about who's in the closet, I've have openly stated I was a lesbian and have no qualms about it.

Third, Shutting you up in a civilized manner, what that include a mouth full of D's.

Forth, I never claimed to be anything, so I don't understand being fake.

Fifth, who started it by being harsh.

Sixxx, it's 2009, don't be ashamed of playing the skin flute.

Sincerely
Niros