DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Windows XP reaches end-of-life today April 8, 2014

pdidy 9:32 AM - 8 April, 2014
Just a reminder.....

Support for Windows XP is ending on April 8, 2014.

www.microsoft.com
raequan 12:33 PM - 8 April, 2014
im good windows 3.11 just upgraded johnny showed me the light...hehehhe
Gio Alex 1:12 PM - 8 April, 2014
The fact they have a countdown has me dying!

Also, 13 years for support an OS is ridiculous!
Papa Midnight 2:07 PM - 8 April, 2014
The initial support was ended on April 14th, 2009 for Mainstream customers, and it has been extended multiple times for Enterprise customers beyond 2010. Even the Dutch and the UK governments just bought out additional extended support to the tune of a few million euros.

Either way, this has been a long time coming. The problem is the numerous point-of-sale terminals and ATM terminals running Windows XP Embedded that haven't been upgraded beyond their initial OOBE state since their initial installation. Then there's the fact that nearly 50% of users in China are currently using Windows XP, the vast piracy of it in so-called "third-world" nations, and I won't start on legacy systems running it in various corporations, or the vast amount of computers in the United States federal government (that vastly outnumbers both the Netherlands and United Kingdom combined) that still runs Windows XP.

It's ridiculous.
Logisticalstyles 2:52 PM - 8 April, 2014
A lot of the workstations at my job are still running XP, and I work in a help desk call center. I'm one of the lucky ones that got an upgraded computer.
phonze 7:34 PM - 8 April, 2014
Everyone at my work had to switch off XP months ago. It was a pain in the ass transferring everything over to a new computer.
CMOS 8:14 PM - 8 April, 2014
Quote:
The problem is the numerous point-of-sale terminals and ATM terminals running Windows XP Embedded that haven't been upgraded beyond their initial OOBE state since their initial installation.

This...

I am kinda happy that I can stick behind the "well MS doesn't even support this any more, we aren't going to be able to make it work for you" badge.
ral 8:16 PM - 8 April, 2014
and for web developers, good riddance IE8! whew!
Papa Midnight 9:11 PM - 8 April, 2014
Quote:

Say it again... my goodness. The worst part is coming across people on Windows 7 who are still using IE8.
4mydawgz 12:18 AM - 9 April, 2014
XP was the best. Hands down.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:29 AM - 9 April, 2014
Quote:
im good windows 3.11 just upgraded johnny showed me the light...hehehhe

Yo, those *.ini files are NO JOKE....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:30 AM - 9 April, 2014
Quote:
The initial support was ended on April 14th, 2009 for Mainstream customers, and it has been extended multiple times for Enterprise customers beyond 2010. Even the Dutch and the UK governments just bought out additional extended support to the tune of a few million euros.

Either way, this has been a long time coming. The problem is the numerous point-of-sale terminals and ATM terminals running Windows XP Embedded that haven't been upgraded beyond their initial OOBE state since their initial installation. Then there's the fact that nearly 50% of users in China are currently using Windows XP, the vast piracy of it in so-called "third-world" nations, and I won't start on legacy systems running it in various corporations, or the vast amount of computers in the United States federal government (that vastly outnumbers both the Netherlands and United Kingdom combined) that still runs Windows XP.

It's ridiculous.

Windows XP cannot be denied...

That OS was solid as HELL for a minute....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:32 AM - 9 April, 2014
Quote:
A lot of the workstations at my job are still running XP, and I work in a help desk call center. I'm one of the lucky ones that got an upgraded computer.

Ha, we're in the middle of upgrading to WIN 7, (64bit), now...

And the conversion is going better than I thought it would...

However there are MAD HARDCORE DIEHARD apps that don't play nice in Win 7 yet, so cats are havin' to cut a check to get software that does what theirs did...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:33 AM - 9 April, 2014
Quote:

This right here is the frigging linchpin.

Users were DYING because IE8 is wayyyy behind the web dev platform...

Google Chrome is the devil...
Laz219 9:25 AM - 9 April, 2014
My work computer only got upgraded from XP around 3 months ago, and I work in a computer store.
Still not up to date though, they put them on Win7Pro
Gio Alex 1:38 PM - 9 April, 2014
Speaking of windows, have you guys seen this yet? (Dj related)

djworx.com
Papa Midnight 1:49 PM - 9 April, 2014
Quote:

Sure... after Service Pack 2 (really after SP3).

Quote:
However there are MAD HARDCORE DIEHARD apps that don't play nice in Win 7 yet, so cats are havin' to cut a check to get software that does what theirs did...

Enable Intel VT-d (or VT-x) in the BIOS or UEFI, and install Windows XP Mode (while you still can: windows.microsoft.com)
Logisticalstyles 2:55 PM - 9 April, 2014
Quote:

djworx.com

I saw the NS7 picture earlier today. That looks kinda dope but it definitely makes it a lot less portable and I can imagine the price would be pretty high. In theory it should cut down on the tech support issues if everyone is using the same OS.
Papa Midnight 2:28 PM - 10 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Sure... after Service Pack 2 (really after SP3).

Since people seem to have extremely short-term memory: arstechnica.com

Also, to all those who bash Vista or Windows 8 as the "worst OS ever" from Microsoft, I wonder if you ever used Windows Me.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:17 AM - 11 April, 2014
Quote:
Also, to all those who bash Vista or Windows 8 as the "worst OS ever" from Microsoft, I wonder if you ever used Windows Me.

HANDS DOWN, the laughing stock of the Windows family....
Gio Alex 7:22 AM - 11 April, 2014
So true though, windows ME was the worst nightmare ever. My first laptop was a Sony Viao in 2000 that ran windows ME and that was really brutal.
DJ Padida 8:57 AM - 11 April, 2014
Quote:
So true though, windows ME was the worst nightmare ever. My first laptop was a Sony Viao in 2000 that ran windows ME and that was really brutal.

I could never have a session without having a BSOD. Hands down the worst windows OS. Still got it at home tho.
Laz219 1:14 PM - 11 April, 2014
I get people every day coming in to work telling me how they want a new computer but can not have windows 8.
Then after letting them try it out for a few minutes and explaining the changes, suddenly it doesn't matter.
djransom 11:03 PM - 11 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Say it again... my goodness. The worst part is coming across people on Windows 7 who are still using IE8.

Some of the apps that we run at my gig is geared towards IE 8 and anything higher requires compatibility view.
Joee 5:10 PM - 12 April, 2014
i'm glad i use a mac

:-)
DJMark 9:21 PM - 12 April, 2014
Quote:
i'm glad i use a mac

:-)

Yeah except that they killed support for OS X 10.6.X "Snow Leopard" (preferable to newer OS's on a lot of Macs that are several years old) a hell of a lot quicker than Microsoft killed support for XP.

XP came out at the same time that the first "point" revision to OS X came out, around September 2001.

The release histories for Windows and Mac OS really aren't directly comparable, but 13 years is a lot longer than Apple has ever continued to provide updates for any given Mac OS release.
Joee 9:34 PM - 12 April, 2014
^ no worries for me, i'm running one with lion & the other with maverick, they booth handle serato dj without without issues

i have a 4tb hard drive with 3tb's full and have a pretty big serato database, i just used 1.6.1 last night for the first time issue free

i do video also

glad i have a mac :-)
DJMark 10:12 PM - 12 April, 2014
Yes, but it's not all about you.
 6 11:03 PM - 13 April, 2014
Quote:

Quoting for truthfulness

nm
Joee 11:22 PM - 13 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Quoting for truthfulness

nm

you might want to start using

QFT

glad i have a few macs :-)

on another note how is luis doing?
DJ Reflex 11:37 PM - 14 April, 2014
I got a Mac too... and I hate the damn thing! Bass-Akwards file management if you ask me. but then, I've been on PC for umteen years since Windows 95!

I spoke with the techs at Pangolin about laser software for Mac. They said "nope" windows only. After a great discussion, they left me with... "XP was the best OS ever built. Why did Microsoft have to screw it up?"
Papa Midnight 11:55 PM - 14 April, 2014
Quote:
I got a Mac too... and I hate the damn thing! Bass-Akwards file management if you ask me. but then, I've been on PC for umteen years since Windows 95!

As a user with experience in Dos, Windows, OS X, multiple Linux distributions (including Debian, Red Hat, CentOS, Fedora, DSL, and FreeBSD), and even BeOS (4 and 5), I can definitely tell you that OS X is not friendly in this regard (though, this is my opinion, of course). HFS+, for that matter, is not very friendly.

Quote:
After a great discussion, they left me with... "XP was the best OS ever built. Why did Microsoft have to screw it up?"

Quote:
Since people seem to have extremely short-term memory: arstechnica.com
pdidy 5:01 AM - 15 April, 2014
Quote:

I spoke with the techs at Pangolin about laser software for Mac. They said "nope" windows only. After a great discussion, they left me with... "XP was the best OS ever built. Why did Microsoft have to screw it up?"

Did you forget macs can run windows either separately or at the same time as osx ? I'm still running Xp on mine.
Papa Midnight 5:29 PM - 15 April, 2014
Or... you know... the other way around :P

dl.dropboxusercontent.com
Laz219 7:46 PM - 15 April, 2014
Quote:

I've always thought the same, the only mac in the house is the laptop that runs SSL/SDJ, I dislike using it for anything else.
DJ Inubito 9:01 PM - 15 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Did you forget macs can run windows either separately or at the same time as osx ? I'm still running Xp on mine.

That's a loooooot of resources being used on your computer just to run XP. :P

Just use my mac for SSL as well.
pdidy 9:44 PM - 15 April, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's a loooooot of resources being used on your computer just to run XP. :P

That would be incorrect, im assuming you're not very familiar with apps like parallels where the resources give to windows xp are selectable in order to prioritize either OS. But in most cases if you need to run windows you wont be djing anyway so you can just use boot camp and dedicate all resources to windows.
DJ Reflex 3:56 AM - 16 April, 2014
I had thought about using Parallels or Bootcamp, but didn't want to keep using an outdated OS (XP) to run videos on a new machine. After all, that's why I bought the Mac - to do Sertato Video. (Which it does very well BTW.)

My only complaint is that Mac does not support my lighting software. Work-around: A 15 ft' USB cable to my PC (XP) running behind the curtain controlled with MIDI pad on my console. An extra computer running... yes, but now I have dedicated computers for each aspect of my show. It has worked twice so far with no hiccups. I am still working on refining my set-up with the new configuration, but I am not disappointed.

Just a question: If I run Boot Camp, will the Mac still dedicate all the graphics resources to Serato Video or will it be limited by the Windows OS? Also, as far as I can tell, Bootcamp Assistant will no longer support XP either. You'll have to install Windows 8. Yuck!
The Despicable Nyan Cat 12:22 PM - 6 May, 2014
Quote:

djworx.com

The Ns7II+ is so cool.