Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

DDJ-SZ build quality

Peasey 1:58 AM - 16 March, 2014
Hi all - first post, be gentle!

So I'm one of the lucky ones who managed to get a DDJ-SZ on UK release day. However, I've noticed some of the rotary encoders appear to be quite loose. Not the actual encoder action, which is fine, but more that there is some significant give and lateral movement to the knob, as if it's not very securely fastened to the circuit board (?) underneath. It is particularly prevalent with the two 'Beats' encoders under each FX section and also the 'Mic 1' & 'Mic 2' level pots. It is also the same to a lesser degree with the larger track selection encoders.

This is the first Pioneer gear I have used so it may be normal and the same as any other DJM-900 mixer, but having used both NI's Kontrol Z2 and S2 I'm used to all pots and encoders being absolutely rock solid, which is what I would expect for a controller that costs approaching £2000 and is classified by the manufacturer to be of pro grade construction quality. In fact, I have a £50 Numark DJ2GO and the fitment of the pots/encoder appear far superior to the culprits named above!

I'd be grateful if anyone could offer some advice of this.

Many thanks!
DJ Baby Raj 12:34 AM - 25 June, 2014
I'm experiencing just a loose mic 1 and 2 knobs... they move around a little... Maybe thats how Pioneer designed it.... Anyone else?
benictrs 2:42 AM - 25 June, 2014
thie mic pots are wiggly !!! that i agree :)
DJ Baby Raj 3:30 AM - 25 June, 2014
Quote:
thie mic pots are wiggly !!! that i agree :)

Popped off the caps on the Mic knobs... Seem Pioneer used plastic posts on those knobs instead of metal posts like the rest of the mixer EQ's... That might explain it.
Culprit 5:20 PM - 25 June, 2014
jesus! Stupid move