DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Recommend me some speakers please! EV, JBL, YAMAHA, QSC?!

Binhzino 2:28 PM - 15 March, 2014
I've been djing for a couple of years, but mostly in clubs and bars. I never really pay attention to the speakers those venues have or cared.. so I'm pretty "new" to the PA Live Sound game. Forgive me if I don't have a clue.

Anyways, I've been doing weddings for the past year now (pays way more than clubs/bars) and I always borrow my friend's QSC K12's, but I think it's about time to purchase my own. Usually I use 3-4 K12's (one as a monitor) on stands with no subwoofer at weddings for about 400-700 people. No complaints so far. I've looked at the prices for the QSC's and damn are they expensive. Someone told me the EV ZLX12P's are comparable and a lot cheaper. What do you guys think? I just want something inexpensive for now then step it up later.

Also, should I just purchase 15's instead of 12's? Was going to go with two 15's and one 12 or four 12's like how I've been doing with the QSC's. Planning on buying subs in the near future, but I need speakers first! Any input would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
lvmez 2:59 PM - 15 March, 2014
Look in the Yamaha DRX15's. 2 of these can handle a decent size crowd.
JDforKing 3:29 PM - 15 March, 2014
i have no idea how you've been able to dj a 400 to 700 persons wedding with a pair of k12s.
Binhzino 3:31 PM - 15 March, 2014
Quote:
i have no idea how you've been able to dj a 400 to 700 persons wedding with a pair of k12s.

3 for around 300-400
4 for larger
Joee 4:13 PM - 15 March, 2014
Quote:

+1 on this

how much money are you looking to spend on a pair of speakers?
Binhzino 4:16 PM - 15 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

+1 on this

Around $1000-1200 for a pair. Best bang for the buck would be ideal in my situation.
Binhzino 4:54 PM - 15 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

+1 on this

Really leaning towards four ZLX-12P's and a sub. The venue I usually do weddings at, specifically ONE restaurant in Houston thatcouples usually book, is pretty big and wide.
Joee 5:15 PM - 15 March, 2014
one elx118p sub & two zlx12p's will not cover you for the 400 to 700 people events you do

look into these-----> www.ebay.com
---> www.ebay.com

there known as the qsc killer as of lately

get the sub later the 15's actually have a nice bass response for a top box
Binhzino 5:17 PM - 15 March, 2014
Quote:
one elx118p sub & two zlx12p's will not cover you for the 400 to 700 people events you do

look into these-----> www.ebay.com
---> www.ebay.com

there known as the qsc killer as of lately

get the sub later the 15's actually have a nice bass response for a top box

Thanks.. what do you recommend, the 12 or the 15?
Joee 5:21 PM - 15 March, 2014
if your not using a sub 15's if your using a sub 12's

is size/weight/transportation a issues at all
Binhzino 5:22 PM - 15 March, 2014
Quote:
if your not using a sub 15's if your using a sub 12's

is size/weight/transportation a issues at all

Transportation no issue. Size and weight...... eh maybe. Weight more specifically, if I'm trying to put the tops on stands by myself.
Joee 5:35 PM - 15 March, 2014
www.ebay.com

www.ebay.com

^ 2 tops/2subs that system would make a real nice wedding rig

but for your needs of 400 to 700 people this sub is more of what you need it can be found for $1,150 delivered
yorkville.com
skinnyguy 6:42 PM - 15 March, 2014
yep. them yamaha's are nice.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 4:27 AM - 16 March, 2014
Quote:
www.ebay.com

www.ebay.com

but for your needs of 400 to 700 people this sub is more of what you need it can be found for $1,150 delivered
yorkville.com

Aren't you using a RCF sub?
Johnnynights 9:11 AM - 16 March, 2014
Quote:
www.ebay.com

www.ebay.com

yorkville.com

I recommend you this setup also like Joee said..i was a former user of k12s but they would get harsh at loud volumes so i sold them to get something else. now i use 2 yamaha dxr12 and a yorkville ls801p way better setup.
Joee 11:19 AM - 16 March, 2014
Quote:

yes i am , but he wants bang for the buck ,rcf cost more
lvmez 8:42 PM - 16 March, 2014
Look at this. Dropping in the summer.

www.youtube.com
Joee 8:46 PM - 16 March, 2014
can't see video
DJ GOOK 9:48 PM - 16 March, 2014
I'm still confused. How do he do a wedding of 300 -400 people with 3 k12 and no sub at all. Matrix B52 1000 is good for 250 people max and that has a sub. Joee,Diddy,Gaffle and any other speaker pros please school me on this please
Al Poulin 10:31 PM - 16 March, 2014
400-700 people with a few K12s and no subs? I can only imagine it sounded mostly mids and highs as the K12s were into the limiters most of the night if he was trying to push any modern music for that amount of people. Personally, I would say a pair of K12s on stands would handle up to 150 people in a wedding context (if you want things to sound at least somewhat good anyways)
Joee 10:33 PM - 16 March, 2014
he said he uses 3 to 4 k12's 4 k12's is more than enough for 400 people now 700 them thing have to be hanging on for dear life

no law that say you absolutely need subs.....your just not getting the full sound spectrum I.E he not getting bass
Al Poulin 10:42 PM - 16 March, 2014
That's what I'm guessing. Once you get into the limiters on the Ks, it's usually the woofers running out of excursion - and that's when the mids and highs get louder and the overall sound gets harsher...
lvmez 12:11 AM - 17 March, 2014
I'll try again

youtu.be
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:50 AM - 17 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Which one are you using? I might be in the market and I damn sure don't want the Yorkville beast.
DJ Nexus2000 12:53 AM - 17 March, 2014
I Recommend The JBL PRX 635 Powered Speakers.
Joee 12:58 AM - 17 March, 2014
Quote:
I'll try again

youtu.be

this looks very nice....
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Which one are you using? I might be in the market and I damn sure don't want the Yorkville beast.

i'm using two rcf's
imageshack.com

your using the elx 115p's right? i know the elx118p is not the best sub around, but for $600 brand new......

whats your budget for a sub or subs?
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:34 AM - 17 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
I'll try again

youtu.be

this looks very nice....
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i'm using two rcf's
imageshack.com

your using the elx 115p's right? i know the elx118p is not the best sub around, but for $600 brand new......

whats your budget for a sub or subs?

Which are those?
Joee 2:55 AM - 17 March, 2014
Quote:
Which are those?

www.kpodj.com
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:06 AM - 17 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Which are those?

www.kpodj.com

Ok. If I decide to buy a sub it will be a 15 for sure. Gotta fit in the trunk of my car. LOL
Joee 3:20 AM - 17 March, 2014
that rcf sub can be had for $880 new $780 b-stock shipped.......

i like it i can turn on one in my basement walk up a flight of steps pass my kitchen dinning room & living room, walk up another flight of steps pass my hallway walk into my bedroom

& i will still feel the bass under my feet in the bedroom.....i don't have a big house it's only 1,200 square feet
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:25 AM - 17 March, 2014
Is it as "punchy" as the ELX118?
pdidy 3:32 AM - 17 March, 2014
Quote:
I'm still confused. How do he do a wedding of 300 -400 people with 3 k12 and no sub at all. Matrix B52 1000 is good for 250 people max and that has a sub. Joee,Diddy,Gaffle and any other speaker pros please school me on this please

DJ GOOK,

While there's no way in hell would this work for me or the type of clientele I play for, I've come realize different regions and especially wedding dj's have a minimalist approach to sound and sound quality at times. Some would be content with just a Bomb box and 1000 people....lol Many of these people are cool with just "Hearing" the music and require little to NO real bass response. So if that's the case, sure 4 k12 will cover 1000 people easily if you follow this minimalistic way of providing sound......
Joee 3:33 AM - 17 March, 2014
more punchy IMO, the elx is a rumble type of bass were the 705 is a hit hard type of bass

there has alway been a lot of bad talk about band pass subs in the dj world .....there known for being one note wonders ......my understanding is it's about getting the most output out of a small enclosure

i have no complaints ......just learn it's limits so you don't blow it
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:38 AM - 17 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

DJ GOOK,

While there's no way in hell would this work for me or the type of clientele I play for, I've come realize different regions and especially wedding dj's have a minimalist approach to sound and sound quality at times. Some would be content with just a Bomb box and 1000 people....lol Many of these people are cool with just "Hearing" the music and require little to NO real bass response. So if that's the case, sure 4 k12 will cover 1000 people easily if you follow this minimalistic way of providing sound......

I did a bday party last where the requested I turn the bass down. It was too much for some of the older patrons.
pdidy 3:43 AM - 17 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

DJ GOOK,

I did a bday party last where the requested I turn the bass down. It was too much for some of the older patrons.

Last summer I did a gig and the older patrons sitting in front complained that the music was too loud......I had their entire group and tables move to the back of the room.....

true story...
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:45 AM - 17 March, 2014
Quote:

Last summer I did a gig and the older patrons sitting in front complained that the music was too loud......I had their entire group and tables move to the back of the room.....

true story...

That was my suggestion but the host of the party did not want to disrupt the guests. No biggie...I turned down the bass.
pdidy 3:56 AM - 17 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

true story...

That was my suggestion but the host of the party did not want to disrupt the guests. No biggie...I turned down the bass.

I admit I can be a complete bitch I those instances, The last time I was REQUIRED to turn my subs down, I disconnected them and put them back in the f#@kin truck.......lol
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:59 AM - 17 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

true story...

I admit I can be a complete bitch I those instances, The last time I was REQUIRED to turn my subs down, I disconnected them and put them back in the f#@kin truck.......lol

Bwahaha you had Bride Rage.
pdidy 4:01 AM - 17 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

true story...

Bwahaha you had Bride Rage.

Half the cure is admitting you have a problem...it true, I do...lol
Joee 12:13 PM - 17 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

DJ GOOK,

with no subs?

Quote:

true story...

this is the beauty of the zxa1 sub.....not shaking down any room just filling in the sound....you'll probably hate it, but when you do gigs that are not a night club style even your clients will love it

but your new system can be scaled down for small events one vrx918sp along with your two new vrx tops
DJ Val-BKNY11203 12:17 PM - 17 March, 2014
Quote:
I did a bday party last week where the requested I turn the bass down. It was too much for some of the older patrons.

Quote:
with no subs?

I rented one for the day.