DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Reloop RP 8000 Short Review....

Mighty Dragon Sounds 12:52 AM - 5 March, 2014
This is a short review.... I have had this unit for a total of 4 hours now. You can find more detailed reviews over at djworx.com and a video review by djbooth.net Watchwww.youtube.com

But here is my review and broken down simply. And this is coming from a DJ that loves Technics and use Turntables as my primary set up. I won't switch to controllers unless a situation forces me to. Like space, or equipment transportation issues....... Or I am playing at a house party where I am in close proximity to flying drinks and objects. I use CDJs, High End and Low End Controllers so it can give you a perspective at the things I look for.

Weight: Much lighter then my Stanton 150s and a little less then Technics 1200s. The sides are made from a hard plastic that saves on weight, compared to the Stanton 150 which seem like metal wrapped with kevlar and covered with hard rubber. To give you a ball park idea of the weight difference.... Go to your local gym and pick up a 45lb plate..... Thats the Stanton 150. Now pick up a 25lb Plate, the Reloops are about that much, if not a little less.

Midi: Works like a charm with Scratch Live 2.5..... Has to be midi mapped to SDJ 1.6 but I am sure Serato is working on an update in the near future.... :-) When using with Scratch Live the Midi buttons light up. With SDJ 1.6 they don't light up.

Feel: Feels like a technics turntable... All the way down to the pitch slider and start and stop buttons.... Remember there are TWO start and stop buttons and one of them may become an "Opps" button where you accidentally strike it and stop the record. This happened to me a few times when I transitioned from Technics to the Stanton 150s....

Response: This thing has Torque...... A lot of power. With technics, if you start the platter and place your hand on it, it doesn't take much weight to stop the platter from spinning. With the torque setting at max, it becomes pretty difficult to accidentally stop this thing from spinning. You have to pretty much consciously make the decision you want to stop the platter from spinning.....

Tonearm: No issues, no knocking or loose ends.

Overall: Freaking great! Great build quality! Great feel! Exactly what I have been looking for!

Cons: It seems that some of the first USA units that came off the shelf did not coming with right angled power cables. A quick email to Reloop USA and a set are on its way.... But me I can't wait so I ended up melting the power cable that came with it and forced it to angle down. Works fine!!! Other then that everything that came with the turntable was well packaged and cared for!

Some pics and video....

instagram.com

Melted the straight power cord that came with it to angle it downward. Reloop USA is sending me some right angled ones now. instagram.com

SDJ cue button test: instagram.com

Cue and Tone Arm Skip Test: instagram.com

Cue Botton Mashing and not skipping the CV or causing any interferance in the Tracking instagram.com

more to come but now I have to go baby shopping...... lol
BLASTA 1:11 AM - 5 March, 2014
This is the problem I'm having with them, no matter what I try… My midi buttons all light up when/after I program them... then I save, should be good... but when I shut everything down… and turn everything back on, It doesn't work like it should, all the buttons don't all light back up, like it's not saving... It's just with the lights though... So the button functionality works and saves fine....maybe something I'm not doing right ??
Mighty Dragon Sounds 1:19 AM - 5 March, 2014
Quote:
This is the problem I'm having with them, no matter what I try… My midi buttons all light up when/after I program them... then I save, should be good... but when I shut everything down… and turn everything back on, It doesn't work like it should, all the buttons don't all light back up, like it's not saving... It's just with the lights though... So the button functionality works and saves fine....maybe something I'm not doing right ??

Yea, so far they don't light up in SDJ, but they have been saving for me.
BLASTA 1:21 AM - 5 March, 2014
Ok... Sorry.. I'm talking about Scratch Live... Does it do this to you with 2.5?

Thanks
BLASTA 1:24 AM - 5 March, 2014
After I program, save, shut down and reload... I have certain lights that don't relight up unless I reprogram them... Some of the buttons do light up now everything I load up, all my cues save and work
Mighty Dragon Sounds 1:25 AM - 5 March, 2014
Quote:
Ok... Sorry.. I'm talking about Scratch Live... Does it do this to you with 2.5?

Thanks

www.reloop.com

Go to downloads and download the midi mapping for Scratch Live and follow the instructions. Click and drag the midi mapping file to your scratch live and restart everything.....

Should pick up the Reloops and they would work natively.
 6 1:31 AM - 5 March, 2014
Nice review especially for only having them for a few hours.

nm
 6 1:31 AM - 5 March, 2014
Do you think having these tables makes some of the 62 features obsolete?

nm
 6 1:32 AM - 5 March, 2014
Quote:
Do you think having these tables makes some of the 62 features obsolete?

nm

No not really..... I am using a 62 and there are times when I would rather hit the cue buttons and use the controls on the mixer versus on the turntable.....

I did the same when I had dicers. Normal mixing and juggling I would stick to the buttons on my mixer.

When I start moving fast and drumming, I use the dicers. And I can see my self doing the same with the midi pads on the Reloops.

You already answered... Thanks!

nm
BLASTA 1:35 AM - 5 March, 2014
www.reloop.com

Go to downloads and download the midi mapping for Scratch Live and follow the instructions. Click and drag the midi mapping file to your scratch live and restart everything.....

For sure... I've done that too.... what I'm talking about is when you program them in 2.5 you can get each pad to light up when you create your own midi mapping in serato So, when you have it on cues and you have 3 or 5 cues save to a songs the same number of lights will light up... or, when you program you samples all the lights light up... then you save it... but if you shut down serato and reboot some of the lights don't light up... but the functionality still works when you reload, just some of the lights don't relight... #itsdumb
BLASTA 1:38 AM - 5 March, 2014
#Typos #WHOOPS!
Mighty Dragon Sounds 1:39 AM - 5 March, 2014
Quote:
www.reloop.com

For sure... I've done that too.... what I'm talking about is when you program them in 2.5 you can get each pad to light up when you create your own midi mapping in serato So, when you have it on cues and you have 3 or 5 cues save to a songs the same number of lights will light up... or, when you program you samples all the lights light up... then you save it... but if you shut down serato and reboot some of the lights don't light up... but the functionality still works when you reload, just some of the lights don't relight... #itsdumb

Well I haven't dug that deep into Scratch Live since I have to roll back and roll forward my firmware every time... lol I just tested it to see if it would work and then rolled my firmware forward for SDJ. lol I'll check next time I roll back.
BLASTA 1:46 AM - 5 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
www.reloop.com

Ok... It is cool when they light up... I spin at a dark club and it was hard to see/remember where each of the buttons were, I'm sure once I get used to the tables/midi buttons, it will be come second nature.. Having them light up is nice for dark situations.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 1:57 AM - 5 March, 2014
Yea. I'm pretty sure Serato will make a fix for that soon.
DJ Blaze NZ 10:10 AM - 5 March, 2014
I have used them for a few hours so far, but without the mapping file, so I will try that again next time, the only problem I really found with them was the buttons are a fraction to small, when I was jumping quickly from cue points I had to really pay attention to where I was hitting, unlike my dicers, but I'm thinking that will just take some getting use to, apart from that I love them!
defanutley 11:49 AM - 5 March, 2014
I have these in Australia
I paid $700 per deck and they came with all the right angle cables including RCAs.
They are fine with SSL but not with SDJ.
Mapping hopefully with SDJ sooner than later. I use technics every weekend at my sat night gig but these are good solid decks.
Let's see how they roll in the future
DJ SHY 1:52 PM - 5 March, 2014
awesome review! Thanks.