Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Pioneer DDJ-SZ effects from Serato DJ are no longer post fader?

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SZ
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
Kross-ddj 9:19 PM - 4 March, 2014
Pretty sure with my SX the effects from Serato were post fader, now with the SZ they are not??
DJMartin 11:31 PM - 4 March, 2014
Hey Kross-ddj,

Everything stays the same, except there are some new build in color FX on the DDJ SZ.
It works the same as the color FX on the DDJ SX, but there are now 4 FX you can choose from.

All other FX are still software based by SDJ.

Cheers!
Serato, Support
David Wood 1:17 AM - 5 March, 2014
Hey Kross-ddj,

Due to the complexities of having a hardware controller/DVS controller post fader effects are not available with the Pioneer DDJ-SZ however there are the onboard post fader mixer effects which can be used this way.

Regards
Dave W
DJ SHY 1:48 PM - 5 March, 2014
curious as to why there are post fader effects on the SX and not the SZ?... I understand the SZ has onboard....but i love using all the "echo" FX in SDJ!!
Sulli 5:13 PM - 5 March, 2014
I'm surprised by this too. Why would the Serato DJ software effects behave differently between the SX and SZ. They are both just controllers for Serato DJ. I could understand using the DVS route maybe making a difference but if you don't use DVS and just use the DDJ-SZ as a controller I don't see why the software would behave differently. Not having the software effects be post fader seems a bit unproffesional for performance purposes. Even better, would be an option for the user to select pre or post fader effect assignment. This might be what holds me back from a purchase. But thank you for the input so far!
dj-freestyle 6:50 PM - 5 March, 2014
im sure can be added with firmwae . must be a dvs issue.
dj-freestyle 6:52 PM - 5 March, 2014
If they can be on a 62 with dvs then has to be possible on sz
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:26 PM - 5 March, 2014
Hey Guys,

Think of the DDJ-SZ as more like a DJM-900 SRT in that it is a hardware mixer as well as a controller unit. The reason for the ability to have DVS with this controller is the advantage but the limitations of the hardware controller is the lack of post fader software effects capabilities.
It's simply not possible to route the software effects that way with this controller.
There are post fader effects on the DDJ-SZ, the onboard mixer effects should be able to be sued this way. Delay (echo) is one of them ;)

Regards
Dave W
Sulli 1:27 PM - 6 March, 2014
Yeah it's nice that it has the onboard mixer effects. I'm just a little confused about the dvs functionality and DDJ SZ jog wheels..
Do the jog wheels on the DDJ SZ communicate with serato software the same way as the DDJ SX (but bigger CDJ size)? I was under the impression that the DVS functionality was only used from external turntables or cdjs connected to the SZ mixer inputs.
Thank you for the feedback
Kross-ddj 2:37 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
Yeah it's nice that it has the onboard mixer effects. I'm just a little confused about the dvs functionality and DDJ SZ jog wheels..
Do the jog wheels on the DDJ SZ communicate with serato software the same way as the DDJ SX (but bigger CDJ size)? I was under the impression that the DVS functionality was only used from external turntables or cdjs connected to the SZ mixer inputs.

+1
Sulli 3:49 PM - 6 March, 2014
Hey Kross-DDJ have you already tried turning off DVS in serato? Probably won't work but worth a try maybe..
According to "Karl Y" the "DDJ SZ does have smart sync when you disable DVS completely under Setup-> Expansion Pack -> Vinyl / CDJ Control".
So, if disabling DVS makes smart sync available maybe it will allow post fader assignment??
fingers crossed lol
Kross-ddj 4:17 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
Hey Kross-DDJ have you already tried turning off DVS in serato? Probably won't work but worth a try maybe..
According to "Karl Y" the "DDJ SZ does have smart sync when you disable DVS completely under Setup-> Expansion Pack -> Vinyl / CDJ Control".
So, if disabling DVS makes smart sync available maybe it will allow post fader assignment??
fingers crossed lol

My smart sync has always worked from the off like I already said, just checked and DVS was already un-ticked...
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:22 PM - 6 March, 2014
You don't need to speculate guys, let's just leave the DVS part out of it as it's not totally relevant.

Software post fader effects are not available with the DDJ-SZ because it is a hardware limitation of the DDJ-SZ. The controller is part hardware mixer part controller. The advantage of this hardware unit is the ability to have DVS built in so you can also use turntables or CDJ's with Noise Map™ cd's or vinyl. The downside is that the software effects are not post fader because of the hardware mixer part of the DDJ-SZ. You can't have the best of both world unfortunately…. But wait you can! There are post fader effects not the Pioneer DDJ-SZ itself so you can still do a few of your favourite echo out effects…

Regards
Dave W
dj-freestyle 9:32 PM - 6 March, 2014
What if dvs is off? you get smart sync if dvs is off?
dj-freestyle 9:34 PM - 6 March, 2014
and second can serato get a answer from pioneer why there are no sensativity controls? this seems like a huge issue that will blow forum up when this thing drops in u.s
Kross-ddj 9:45 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:

+1
I didn't buy SZ for the DVS compatability, I never thought that this would have an impact on whether the software effects on serato were post or pre fader..... I can't remember the SZ advertisement mentioning that the software effects on Serato DJ would be pre fader??? The more problems I encounter with the SZ the more I which I kept my SX :(
Manu Silver 6:11 PM - 8 March, 2014
A ver.. con todo esto, ¿el plan de marketing de Serato es que la gente compre Controladoras como la DDJ-SZ para que las mapee con otros Software Dj?

Pónganse las pilas con Serato Dj!! me duele que un software que puede ser el mejor del mundo, siempre acabe fallando en algo, o limitando usos, ¿Qué es eso de eliminar elementos que realmente han funcionado hasta ahora en Scratch Live? ¿Por qué descontinuar "The Bridge"? ¿Por qué Limitar tanto el Mapeo MIDI? no son los pasos correctos Serato, y de dar un golpe rotundo en el Mercado, podéis pasar a recibir un buen batacazo..

Me duele, porque soy un orgulloso propietario de la Rane SL4 y siempre he disfrutado con Scratch Live, pero si cambian el Software, hacedlo para mejor, no la caguéis, que ya había muchos detractores de la marca antes de Serato Dj, como para que encima, ahora, los nuevos productos Hardware nativos de Serato los compren para mapearlos con Software de otras compañías... no os dais cuenta? :(
Manu Silver 6:14 PM - 8 March, 2014
Quote:
A ver.. con todo esto, ¿el plan de marketing de Serato es que la gente compre Controladoras como la DDJ-SZ para que las mapee con otros Software Dj?

Pónganse las pilas con Serato Dj!! me duele que un software que puede ser el mejor del mundo, siempre acabe fallando en algo, o limitando usos, ¿Qué es eso de eliminar elementos que realmente han funcionado hasta ahora en Scratch Live? ¿Por qué descontinuar "The Bridge"? ¿Por qué Limitar tanto el Mapeo MIDI? no son los pasos correctos Serato, y de dar un golpe rotundo en el Mercado, podéis pasar a recibir un buen batacazo..

Me duele, porque soy un orgulloso propietario de la Rane SL4 y siempre he disfrutado con Scratch Live, pero si cambian el Software, hacedlo para mejor, no la caguéis, que ya había muchos detractores de la marca antes de Serato Dj, como para que encima, ahora, los nuevos productos Hardware nativos de Serato los compren para mapearlos con Software de otras compañías... no os dais cuenta? :(

Sin hablar de que ahora los FXs Postfader no los incluyan con la nueva DDJ-SZ, llevándolos la SX.
Y esto del DVS sin smart Sync que leo por aquí.. mal Serato, muy mal, de nuevo.. :( y lo digo para ver si lo leeis y os hace reflexionar en algo. Porque me gusta la marca, pero a veces me decepciona un poco..
deejdave 8:40 PM - 8 March, 2014
Quote:
You don't need to speculate guys, let's just leave the DVS part out of it as it's not totally relevant.

Quote:

LMAO too funny. A sorry attempt to save one's from themselves.
Davideon 9:33 PM - 8 March, 2014
Quote:

Eh?
the djchainsaw 9:50 PM - 8 March, 2014
Whut a bummer!! Pioneer just gave me unit to test but no post fader effects like on my DDJ-SX?? big deal breaker for me!? I really don't see the need to be able to use the onboard soundcard for DVS?? anyone with serato DVS already has the box anyway? if I could choose between having postfader effects or internal DVS? I wouldn't hesitate 1 moment postfader allday! just having a few effects onboard the mixer doesn't cut it. another thing I miss is the dual deck function and the central navigation and button loading per channel strip. The thing I do like better on the SZ is the display in the jogs, the color coded pads and the obviously better sound quality (oh and just maybe the full size of the SZ but then again... as long as it's not club standard? I'd rather drag along my SX). That being said... I'll stick to my SX I hope they make an MKII version with better faders and the superior jog display which is used in the CDJ's and the DDJ-SZ.
Sulli 1:28 AM - 9 March, 2014
So let me know if this is a possible work around to get post fader effects...

If you had another midi controller separate from the ddj-sz and assigned some knobs or faders from that midi controller to the software channel faders in serato dj could you then have post fader effects in serato since you would be bypassing the hardware faders of the ddj-sz and using the midi controller instead?

I know this would mean having to purchase a separate midi controller along side the ddj-sz but Im just curious if this scenario would work.
Sulli 1:45 AM - 9 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Eh?

Haha like I said I'm confused about the DVS functionality and how the jog wheels work on the SZ when compared to the SX so it doesn't surprise me that my questions might also be confusing. Sorry.. But bottom line is that the SZ can't do post fader serato effects which confused me because that's different from the SX but I've excepted this fact and I'm trying to think of work arounds like maybe using a midi controller for post fader effects like I explained in the post above. Hope it works but either way it's not the end of the world if it doesn't :)
deuceleader 11:22 PM - 19 March, 2014
This is a huge MINUS for the DDJ-SZ.... Basically they are saying you can either have DVS or Post fader effects ...... but you cannot have both!!! This should be a software FIX so you can select to have post fader effects BUT not use DVS this is two major points where the DDJ-SX is superior to the FLAGSHIP (most advanced) DDJ-SZ they no longer have dual mode which lets you control two decks at the same time and they took a giant step backwards to Pre-Fader Effects.... I have a feeling this is on SERATO's side and not Pioneers, since Pioneer already proved it can make a Damn fine controller with Post Fader Effects (and the echo/delay ) effect is nowhere near the calibre of the delay effect designed by isotope.......
DeeJay Staas 12:22 AM - 20 March, 2014
Dave W :

Is it possible in the future date will be added post fader function ?
Serato, Support
David Wood 1:13 AM - 20 March, 2014
This is a physical limitation of the Pioneer DDJ-SZ as explain earlier in the thread it is not possible and will not be in the future unfortunately:
Quote:
Software post fader effects are not available with the DDJ-SZ because it is a hardware limitation of the DDJ-SZ. The controller is part hardware mixer part controller. The advantage of this hardware unit is the ability to have DVS built in so you can also use turntables or CDJ's with Noise Map™ cd's or vinyl. The downside is that the software effects are not post fader because of the hardware mixer part of the DDJ-SZ. You can't have the best of both world unfortunately…. But wait you can! There are post fader effects not the Pioneer DDJ-SZ itself so you can still do a few of your favourite echo out effects…

Regards
Dave W
dj-freestyle 3:17 PM - 20 March, 2014
So how does the 62 do it? same idea.
dj-freestyle 3:18 PM - 20 March, 2014
and i love my sz so much not a big deal to me . blows sx away.
djdisbjohn 3:24 PM - 20 March, 2014
Quote:

Regards
Dave W

Pioneer has to leave some room for updates and changes for next year's controller update....
deuceleader 4:12 PM - 20 March, 2014
Quote:

Regards
Dave W

the DDJ-SX released almost 2 years ago and it "is Part hardware mixer and Part controller" and has POST-FADER effects ... so it is very confusing that you are saying that DVS had nothing to do with it when the same company made a very similar product two years ago that did not support DVS yet had post fader effects ... it's a moot point if you say that the DDJ-SZ will never support post fader effects..... but to say it isn't possible when it already exists in another controller/mixer by the same company it sounds to me like they changed the internal routing so that it could support DVS and that is why we cannot have post fader effects on the unit .... as for its Built in ECHO effect is no where near the quality or does it have as many user controllable settings as the Izotope effects available to us on the DDJ-SX

if you are going to remove the ability for post fader effects at least add an external effects send and return (per channel) so we can use off board effects units :) cheers
dj-freestyle 3:57 PM - 21 March, 2014
ok so they made it sound like the color effects would be post fader? they are not with software hooked up that i can tell. Ive tried with mine and not post fader. can soembodu chime in please?
dj-freestyle 4:24 PM - 21 March, 2014
they are post fader for up and down faders not actual fader . got it.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 7:21 PM - 23 March, 2014
Hi guys.

The Pioneer DDJ-SX is fully 'mixed in the box' when connected to Serato DJ. This means audio mixing is handled inside the software and then the master output of the software is sent to the output to the SX hardware master. This allows for the software mix architecture to route music to the effects units as post fader.

The Pioneer DDJ-SZ is quite a different bit of hardware and is totally analog mixed and summed - much like a normal analog mixer. Each channel is sent from Serato DJ to the corresponding hardware channels and then analog summed and sent to the SZ master output. The effects are mixed and are part of the signal chain going into each channel on the SZ. This allows for another layer of Color FX to be applied on each channel (these are inserted into the channel mix, and as such aren't post fader either). As you can see, this means there is no post-fader option for the software Serato DJ effects.

Serato is unable to add post-fader effects for tail processing effects like delays and reverbs when using the SZ as we aren't mixing inside the software, and when lowering a channel fader on the hardware, both the dry AND wet (effect) signals are lowered in tandem.

Hope this helps clarify the differences between the two controllers.
DJMartin 7:45 PM - 23 March, 2014
But the effect can be reached by keeping the fader up and turn down the channel master, right?
ej Joe 1:20 PM - 24 March, 2014
Quote:
Hi guys.

The Pioneer DDJ-SX is fully 'mixed in the box' when connected to Serato DJ. This means audio mixing is handled inside the software and then the master output of the software is sent to the output to the SX hardware master. This allows for the software mix architecture to route music to the effects units as post fader.

The Pioneer DDJ-SZ is quite a different bit of hardware and is totally analog mixed and summed - much like a normal analog mixer. Each channel is sent from Serato DJ to the corresponding hardware channels and then analog summed and sent to the SZ master output. The effects are mixed and are part of the signal chain going into each channel on the SZ. This allows for another layer of Color FX to be applied on each channel (these are inserted into the channel mix, and as such aren't post fader either). As you can see, this means there is no post-fader option for the software Serato DJ effects.

Serato is unable to add post-fader effects for tail processing effects like delays and reverbs when using the SZ as we aren't mixing inside the software, and when lowering a channel fader on the hardware, both the dry AND wet (effect) signals are lowered in tandem.

Hope this helps clarify the differences between the two controllers.

why in DDj-SZ,FX parameter value cannot be save in SDJ when every time i reopen SDJ ?
damehype 4:13 PM - 29 March, 2014
Quote:
they are post fader for up and down faders not actual fader . got it.

Why is this though??? Is this a bug?
deejdave 5:43 PM - 29 March, 2014
No this is how it is designed. It was either DVS or post fader. There is tons of info and this has been discussed over & over again. If you want more detailed explanation/s just scroll up.
damehype 6:40 PM - 29 March, 2014
No, you didn't understand my question. If the hardware fx are post fader, they should be post fader on both the channel or upfaders AND the crossfader. But it isnt post fader when using the crossfader. Is this a bug? Can it be fixed in a firmware update?
deejdave 7:17 PM - 29 March, 2014
I didn't take notice to that yet. The only thing I noticed with the hardware FX was that to her the effect of the FX (all of the that is) you must have the headphones on master becasue individual channels will not do..................... at least with the echo.
DJCASHWELL 9:01 PM - 29 March, 2014
just got my SZ early this week, looks like the only way to duplicate the post fader echo is to hit the "cue" button instead of upfader/crossfader if youre getting out of that song: feels really weird right now. post fader fx's on the sx is one of the best features, i don't use that many FX's available on the sx, but i seemed to really like using them all with the faders.
damehype 9:39 PM - 29 March, 2014
^Yes, there are workarounds. You can set the stop time to zero and just press stop, but as soon as you cut you crossfader over the tail cuts off. Unfortunately, it's the same way on the hardware Color FX. They are only post fader on the line faders.
deejdave 10:27 PM - 29 March, 2014
I her you that this should be looked at. I didn't even notice as I generally use the line faders only. I only use x-fader when scratching and I only scratch with TT's. I have yet to use my TT's with the SZ.
DJ Evil One 8:03 PM - 23 May, 2014
This is a major fail on whoever decided to make that call. Post fader efx seem way more likely to be used than someone hooking in multiple turntables/cdjs.

I played on it last night, and it was a fun controller, but the lack of post fader efx will definitely prevent me from buying one.
10:10 PM, 10 Jun 2014
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.