Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Crates not saving

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL3
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
soulspinr 2:01 AM - 27 February, 2014
My crates keep disappearing every time I close Serato, so I have to keep re-creating everything. That's both standard and smart crates. I have also tried running a backup when closing, and when I re-open, it's still gone

Suggestions ?
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:21 PM - 27 February, 2014
Hey Soulspinr,

Are you importing music from an external drive?
If so, if you unplug it and import files into a crate from the internal drive does it save?

If you open either the _Serato_ folder on the root of your external (if you're using one) or within the Music folder on the internal drive do you see any files with the word (safe) next to them?
How bout within the Subcrates folder?

How much room do you have left on your internal and external (if you're using one)?
soulspinr 12:36 AM - 28 February, 2014
I'm using an external, and there is plenty of room (I got the 4 TB models)

There are no files or folders with the word (safe) next to them, and same for the internal HD (occasional I download a song from my pool on demand to play and then play it from the internal drive directly so there is a crate there too)
da H.N.I.C. dj Twomp 6:39 AM - 30 July, 2014
Is having folders with the word (safe) on them the reason the folders arent staying?
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:49 PM - 30 July, 2014
Delete any (safe) files you see.

I would also suggest turning off UAC (if you are are using a Windows machine) --> serato.com
4kast 3:52 PM - 8 February, 2015
Ok, so I'm not sure how to start my own post yet. But I too am have issues with my crates. I use an IMAC desktop to download everything and organize my Serato Crates. I have all my music loaded onto an external hard drive (iTunes won't open if I don't have it plugged into the desktop). I then use my external hard drive with a Macbook Pro laptop when I'm out DJ'n.

The problem i'm having is that some of my crates are not showing up once I plug into the laptop. I noticed that some of newest crates have been saving to the desktops sub crate folder and not the external hard drive.

Also the order in which i set up my crates from top to bottom, is different when i go to plug in my external hard drive into the laptop too.

I've tried making sure to drop the sub crates from my desktop into the sub crate folder on my external, but some have worked now and others haven't. I'm not sure what to do at this point, and feel like i've messed them all up. I just want to avoid starting all over organizing.

Is there any easy fix for this? Should there even be different sub crate folders on each device (Desktop, External, and Laptop)?
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:42 PM - 9 February, 2015
Hey 4kast,

Crates are stored on the hard drive you've imported the music into the crate.
If you are importing music from the internal and external drive, for example, into the same crate than you will have a crate stored on the internal drive with information regarding the files you imported from the internal drive and a crate on the external drive housing the information regarding the files you imported from the external.
The issue of the crates/files not being in the correct order is also due to your files being imported from two hard drives into the same crates.
The workaround is to move ALL of your music to one drive.
I would suggest reading this article on how to transfer a library from an internal to an external which will fix the issues --> dj.rane.com (you'll find the section on moving your library from internal to external down the article a bit).

Let me know if you have any questions about it.
4kast 9:53 PM - 9 February, 2015
Hey thanks, I actually did that already and it worked!

I saw all the files that had been imported from the desktop by looking at the location tab. Deleted those from Serato, moved all that music to my external drive, and the reimported them to Serato from the external hard drive.

Now when I load up the external to the laptop everything looks good and is in the order I want.

Question though, from here on out, when I go to create a new crate, the music I import into it will determine what drive that crate sets up in right?
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:32 PM - 9 February, 2015
Good to hear that worked for you;)

Quote:
Question though, from here on out, when I go to create a new crate, the music I import into it will determine what drive that crate sets up in right?

Yes exactly:)
2:00 AM, 22 Apr 2015
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.