Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

System is unstable when using Serato Video

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Rane Sixty-Two
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
hologram 10:32 PM - 22 February, 2014
When using my 62 and Serato Video is active songs tend to have drop outs , audio distortion and recently the playing deck will just start stuttering and I have to reboot the rand 62 to clear it.
If I do not have the sera to video bar active and have not activated during the play time everything works fine. As soon as I click video all the problems start.

I am using a MAC book pro retina 15
Intel Core I7 quad core 2.6
16 gigs of ram
Thunderbolt connected Lacie hard drive.

I have noticed that my NS6 does the same thing but only when connected to the USB3 port directly. If I connect it to a USB2 port on a thunderbolt hub I do not experience the same issues.
On the rand 62 it does;t matter how I connect it. Same issues.

hologram 10:34 PM - 22 February, 2014
When the play deck starts Sturring I lose all audio on that deck. Ejecting the song does not fi it. loading a new song does not fix it. For all intense purposes the mixer dies and I have to reboot it. I am running the current firmware that came with Serato DJ 1.6.
System works flawlessly with SSL & Video. Even with the newer firmware
8:08 PM, 24 Feb 2014
Discussion moved to Serato Video and Video-SL Help
hologram 9:48 PM - 25 February, 2014
…crickets...
hologram 8:04 PM - 27 February, 2014
… more crickets…..

Tried ME and having the same issue.
Same 62 drivers (2.14) running SSL with video and ableton running now issues.
hologram 4:55 PM - 28 February, 2014
Crickets…..
hologram 7:45 PM - 28 February, 2014
Am I doing something wrong with making this request?
Serato, Support
Matt P 8:00 PM - 2 March, 2014
Hi hologram,

Sorry about the late reply, a couple guys have been off this week.. I'll help you here now.

Can you tell me if you adjust the video buffer if that makes any difference?

If you can also try adjusting the Usb buffer/latency to 5ms let me know if that affects your performance.

Matt P
hologram 10:28 PM - 2 March, 2014
Thank you.
I'm on the road till tuesday. I can try that then.
Serato, Support
Matt P 3:03 AM - 4 March, 2014
Hi hologram,

Cool, Let me know how this goes. I'll be around on the forum so you won't have to wait for too long to get a reply now

Regards

matt P
hologram 4:39 AM - 5 March, 2014
OK tried 5ms on both the program and 62 panel
Tried increasing the video buffer.
Same results. It even got to the state where it would just keep repeating about a quarter rotation with no sound, no needle on the record, on relative and even if you ejected the song and loaded a new one it kept going in that state. The only way to fix this state is reboot the mixer. Rebooting the program and laptop does not fix it.
Serato, Support
Matt P 10:59 PM - 6 March, 2014
Hi hologram,

Quote:
The only way to fix this state is reboot the mixer. Rebooting the program and laptop does not fix it.

This makes me think it is related to the firmware.

If you go to system preferences in your mac and click on the sixty-two driver and adjust the buffer in there to say 15ms, let me know if that helps.

Matt P
hologram 11:13 PM - 6 March, 2014
Quote:
Hi hologram,

Quote:
The only way to fix this state is reboot the mixer. Rebooting the program and laptop does not fix it.

This makes me think it is related to the firmware.

If you go to system preferences in your mac and click on the sixty-two driver and adjust the buffer in there to say 15ms, let me know if that helps.

Matt P

I'm pretty sure it's the firmware too but only with SDJ. The fact that I have to reboot the mixing when it finally crashes is what gets me. I can hook up a NS6 after it gets into stutter mode and it works fine. Funny it;s only when I hit the video button on SDJ
I will try that suggestion tonight.
hologram 6:00 AM - 7 March, 2014
First you probably know this but changing the buffer to 15MS was totally unusable. Pull the record back and wait a second for Serato to do the same with the video.

Second it only took about 2 minutes to lock up the system into stutter again.

No audio. Both decks were going from about 11 o'clock to 3 o'clock continuously.
I unloaded and reloaded songs same thing .
I tried unplugging the usb for the mixer and plugging it back in and it worked for about 20 seconds before all I had was control of the video via Control vinyl manipulations but no audio.

What else would you like me to try?
hologram 6:26 PM - 9 March, 2014
OK so I tried changing the setup a little bit.
Instead of using my 24" 1920 x 1200 monitor for output via HDMI, I used my 20 inch dell with an HDMI to DVI converter. The system was stable for about 10 minutes before it locked up as usual. I tried a few things to see if I could unstick it but end the end rebooting the mixer is what it took. in this process I also noticed that the syetm will crash if I have the mixer plugged in while it's trying to load my iTunes library. So for SDJ i know have to have the 62 unplugged to load the library without issue constantly. Also after all the craziness I did a to hour set with Scratch Live, sera to video and Ableton no issues.
Serato, Support
Matt P 4:41 PM - 12 March, 2014
Hi hologram,

How large is the library you are loading and what remaining hard drive space do you have?

If you remove the itunes library from the scenario completely are you still having these problems?
Can you let me know if you have removed all corrupt files from the library?

Matt p
hologram 5:52 PM - 12 March, 2014
Library is 80k and shrinking. THis library works fine with all other versions of SDJ and it doesn't do this on the same videos when I don't use Serato Video.
I have close to a terabyte of space on the Media Drive and close to 66 gigs on my main drive.I will load the system without the external drive and copy the two songs I have been testing with and some new Xtendz over to the local drive and see what happens tonight.

Thanks
Serato, Support
Matt P 11:36 PM - 13 March, 2014
Hi hologram,

Ok thanks for narrowing it down to this release. I'm keen to know how it goes with the test tonight.

Keep me posted

Matt P
hologram 3:32 AM - 14 March, 2014
My apologies, testing will have to wZit till Monday night. I had some gigs come up
Serato, Support
Matt P 11:37 PM - 16 March, 2014
hologram,

No problem. Just checking in to see how its going.

Matt P
hologram 4:55 AM - 19 March, 2014
Took a little longer but same problem. Locked hop after about 15 minutes.
I copied two videos to my docs folder and disconnect the external hard drive.
I also disable show iTunes library.
Rebooted everything
Only locked up with Serato video active.
Serato, Support
Matt P 8:56 PM - 19 March, 2014
Hi hologram,

And this isn't related to file type in any way?
Quote:
THis library works fine with all other versions of SDJ and it doesn't do this on the same videos when I don't use Serato Video.

When you are using Video can you isolate the tracks? It would be good to know the file information on these.

Test them in 1.5.2 if possible too. This will let us know where the problem is

Thanks

Matt P
hologram 5:23 AM - 20 March, 2014
i'll try some different files. n problem with SSL
hologram 4:35 AM - 25 March, 2014
OK trie a bunch of brand new extends same issue.
both on my 62 and NS6.
Never locked up on my NS6 but lot of distortion.
CPU light starts to go red and then it happens.
Even tried the new 1.6.1

I'll try a copy of 1.5.2 tomorrow. I need to get some mixes done so back to SSL.
hologram 4:36 AM - 25 March, 2014
Does a large library put a load on the CPU?
I am working on making my library smaller.
hologram 5:33 AM - 25 March, 2014
Um wait. How am I suppose to use my rane 62 with sera to 1.5.2?
This only happens when sera to video is engaged.
Serato, Support
Matt P 6:18 PM - 25 March, 2014
Hi hologram,

Quote:
Um wait. How am I suppose to use my rane 62 with sera to 1.5.2?

Yeah that won't work, but good to check with the NS6..

Quote:
Does a large library put a load on the CPU?
I am working on making my library smaller.

Most definitely. The CPU light should be able to control by adjusting your USB buffer.
However if you're still getting problems with cpu in 1.6.1 this must be a large library.

Did you upgrade the firmware on your Sixty-Two when you did the upgrade to 1.6.1?

If you are up to trying it, rebuilding the _Serato_ folder might be something to try. Are you wanting to give it a go?

Matt P
hologram 7:30 PM - 25 March, 2014
OK I must have missed a firmware upgrade for 1.6.1. I did a driver upgrade but I'll check firmware tonight.

As for 1.5.2 on ns6 that worked fine before with these songs.

I'm up for anything right now. I just don't want to lose my history files at this time.
Let me export that and we can start from scratch.

This only affects the system when Serato video is running.
Serato, Support
Matt P 7:01 PM - 26 March, 2014
Hi hologram,

OK, How is the new update going?

We can try the rename thing if you still need to. It is a good idea for eliminating the software from the cause.

Here are the steps -

Close Serato Applications
Navigate to the "My Music" folder and locate the _Serato_ folder
Rename _Serato_ folder to _Serato_old (Don't worry about the backup folder)
Open Serato DJ
This will create a new _Serato_ folder in your "My Music" folder and create a blank template with no crates or any other stored information.

Once open, try and load a few video files and let me know how it goes.

To regain information as you left it
Close Serato DJ
Trash new _Serato_ folder
Rename _Serato_Old back to _Serato_
Open Serato DJ
Everything should be back to normal.

Matt P
hologram 9:01 PM - 26 March, 2014
Thanks I'll try that tonight
hologram 7:36 AM - 28 March, 2014
OK did new firmware upgrade and it is a bit more stable. No more lockups.
But I still have some Distortion going on occasionally.
I'm going to get some new needles this weekend if funds permit because when this thing goes south the grey bars go red if you know what I mean.
hologram 7:37 AM - 28 March, 2014
let me try the sera to folder thing sorry. and I'll let you know how that goes first
Serato, Support
Matt P 11:59 PM - 31 March, 2014
Hi hologram,

If the scopes are going into the red, thats a tracking issue, this can be because of vinyl feedback from bass frequencies or poor grounding. Try using the Estimate function in the setup menu for adjusting the threshold of what is coming through the needles.

Also if you find yourself losing tracking, A good saver is to press "control and click the INT button" this will put you into emergency internal mode and set your pitch to 0% and start playing the track. I use this from time to time. its a life saver

Regards

Matt P
hologram 6:36 PM - 2 April, 2014
It's weird I can't reproduce the tracking issue.
It just happens and it's not the same place on the vinyl.
I have new needles and vinyl with the same outcome.
It's just when the distortion starts (no lock ups anymore), it looks like I lost all tracking.
I rewired the coffin after this started. So cabling and grounding are clean.
More testing this week.
hologram 6:12 PM - 19 April, 2014
OK I am at my wits end. I've tried everything.
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:45 AM - 21 April, 2014
Hi hologram,

So you can't reproduce but you are still getting the problem of the tracking issue or is the software just locking up on you?

Matt P
hologram 8:38 AM - 21 April, 2014
New needles and new vinyl and I can't make the tracking issue happen when I want it to like before the 1.6.1 patch. Now its random, not even a slow build up just happen's and never fixes itself. Once the distortion or video freezing starts , every song does the same thing.
It hash;t locked up the mixer like before but it still not usable.
Serato, Support
Matt P 1:53 AM - 22 April, 2014
Hi hologram,

I believe this is something in the hardware. I would recommend taking it in for a check up or warranty repair.

Can you get in touch with Rane -> dj.rane.com

The only other thing I might suggest is adjusting the buffer in the Rane Device panel
Go to your system preferences and then click the Sixty Two driver at the bottom of the tabs, this will open the rane device panel. You can then adjust the buffer or update the firmware as needed.

Let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

Regards

Matt P
hologram 2:01 AM - 22 April, 2014
On if it's hardware then why don't I have these issues with SSL?
Serato, Support
Matt P 11:08 PM - 22 April, 2014
Hi hologram,

Well if its fixed by a reboot, its likely related to the driver or firmware. Serato doesn't make these for the sixty-two.
Quote:
then why don't I have these issues with SSL?

The other thing i mentioned above regarding the Rane device buffer, did that help at all?

Matt P
hologram 5:15 AM - 8 May, 2014
ok tried 1.6.2 and the big library beta. all the same problem.
I'm contacting rane again but in my first conversation they had the same question.
It works fine with SSL on the same library & Firmware. Why do you think it's the mixer.
Serato, Support
Matt P 11:46 PM - 8 May, 2014
Hi hologram,

Since you mentioned it was helped by a restart of the mixer, it seems that the mixer would have played a role in this. I am trying to rule out the possibility of firmware being the cause. However I can't say for sure if its the mixer. If you are having problem with across multiple versions but not SSL, i'm really not sure. Perhaps there is a conflict in your _Serato_ folder.
However if that was the case renaming the _Serato_ folder should have eliminated that as a possibility too.

I'm kinda unsure where to go from here, on the software end you should be fine. We could research the pref files if you are interested..

Matt P
hologram 2:00 AM - 2 June, 2014
OK had the 62 checked out. Nothing wrong with it. Used a friends 62 and had the same issues.

OK so this looks like it's a computer problem.
I just reformatted my daughters 17 pro and put Mavericks on it.
Clean install of SDJ 1.6.3 and no video or audio issues in demo mode.
Mac pro 17 mid 2009
3g core duo
4g ram 1067 ddr3
nvidia 9400 256m ram
OSX 10.9.3

So it could be something running on my retina or just gremlins.
On my NS6 though the red CPU light stays on for a long time during transitions but no audio or video issues.

Upgrading the Retina will be a bit of an issue because of what is installed on it.
Probably two weeks before that happens but SL will do for now.
Just wanted to give you an update.
Serato, Support
Matt P 12:58 AM - 3 June, 2014
Hi hologram,

Thanks for replying with this info. The update is very helpful.

Lets wait and see how the OS update goes. I am short on any other ideas from our end.

Thanks
Matt P
hologram 8:48 AM - 6 February, 2015
So here we are in 2015 and about a month ago my retina pro's video went out randomly.
Had it checked out at the apple store about three weeks ago. Long story short they suspect the video sub system is damaged. Found some work arounds to bring it back online. Took me till today to get everything backed up and gave it to the Genius bar to send back to the mothership. I seriously hope this resolves this problem.
Thanks for all the work you guys put in to look through this in this thread and others.
DJ Tecniq 4:43 AM - 7 February, 2015
Quote:
So here we are in 2015 and about a month ago my retina pro's video went out randomly.
Had it checked out at the apple store about three weeks ago. Long story short they suspect the video sub system is damaged. Found some work arounds to bring it back online. Took me till today to get everything backed up and gave it to the Genius bar to send back to the mothership. I seriously hope this resolves this problem.
Thanks for all the work you guys put in to look through this in this thread and others.
that really sucks unfortunately there have been a lot of macbook pro's with faulty video cards/logic boards it is an ongoing issue with Apple just google it and you'll find out it's happening to a lot of users. Mine is a 2010 MacBook pro and does the exact same thing on SDJ but scratchlive never has this issue. I believe the faulty graphics card just doesn't get along with SDJ. Sorry I couldn't get to this post sooner. I'll post you a video of my troubles cause I guarantee it's the same as you experienced. I just hope you didn't have to pay for them to fix it. There have been lawsuits over these faulty graphic boards👍 good luck
DJ Tecniq 4:50 AM - 7 February, 2015
Notice how everything's fine then it all goes haywire and just crashes. www.dropbox.com
DJ Tecniq 4:56 AM - 7 February, 2015
Also notice how even when I stop the turntables the tracks still rotate as if being played still in "relative" but no sound. I thought it was SDJ just buggish cause this never has occurred in Scratchlive ever! It is odd. The video card does not get along with SDJ it seems is my only explanation.
hologram 4:18 AM - 13 February, 2015
Well having Apple fix the laptop did the trick.
Take your Laptop in to get it checked.