Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Flac "Comment, Label, & Remixer" Tags Not Being Saved

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Numark NS7 II
Computer
PC
OS
Windows 8.1
Platform
-
Name already taken 7:21 AM - 21 February, 2014
I spent about 10 hours listening to and editing the comment section of around 200 .Flac files in Serato DJ. At one point I moved a folder on my computer and when I re-scanned the tags of the files all of the information was lost. Luckily I took screenshots of the comments when I started to notice something fishy going on (I erased the comment of a new song I hadn't added a new comment to, and when I would load it the comment would re-appear - these were ID3v2.3 tags added by another program). It will take a couple hours to manually re-type the information from the screenshots.... but then it will not be saved.... again.... Luckily I caught this before I lost all of my work but it will yet take some time to re-type the information.

I have messed around with the tags in Serato DJ and have come to the conclusion that Serato will save changes in all of the fields which the program allows you to manually edit aside from the "comment" "label" and "remixer" tags. I have verified that the tags to the "grouping" "composer" and "key/initial key" tags are being saved. I have been using the "composer" field to rate a songs as song rating capabilities are not yet implemented in Serato DJ.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Brian
Name already taken 1:12 AM - 6 March, 2014
Hello?
Serato, Support
David Wood 2:06 AM - 6 March, 2014
Hey Name already taken,

Sorry for the late reply. Can you please upload some of these problematic FLAC files and i'll investigate this issue for you. This maybe a bug or permission issue. Hopefully we can find a solution.

Regards
Dave W
Name already taken 3:39 AM - 6 March, 2014
OK. It seems to happen with every FLAC file I alter. I just downloaded this song to test it out:
sorrowgarage.bandcamp.com

I can confirm that I am experiencing the problems as described above with this FLAC file in particular (as well as any other).

The changes with Genre, Composer, and Grouping are written to the file, but not Comment, Remixer, or Label.

Those were the 6 parameters I tested this time.

Thank you for your help.
Name already taken 9:16 PM - 7 March, 2014
Oh and I'm not sure If I should make a new help request or just add it here. Probably related. Auto-gain seems to be non existent. Might just be FLAC files and the autogain tag not writing.
Serato, Support
David Wood 9:22 PM - 9 March, 2014
Hey Name already taken,

After downloading and adding this .Flac file to the Serato DJ 1.6 version on my Mac had no issue with adding and saving tags.
I also tested on the Windows 8 laptop and found that the .Flac file also had no issue with saving.

I'd suggest following this article to rebuild your DatabaseV2 file and seeing if that helps:
serato.com (This article was written for Scratch Live but works just the same for Serato DJ).

Also Where are you storing these files? Make sure that your have read/write permissions on the hard drive, folders and files. If they are read only you may have issues saving the data to the files.
Name already taken 10:41 PM - 9 March, 2014
Ok, did you delete the files from the library and re-ad and re-analyse the files? Serato DJ does act as if it is writing the tags but only seems to be storing the info in the Serato Database and not the files. Have you tried looking at the tags through a third party program?

It would not be file permission issue as some of the fields save always, and some of the fields save never.

Thanks.
Serato, Support
David Wood 12:26 AM - 10 March, 2014
Yes I've followed these further steps and i can reproduce the tags not being saved in the columns you have specified. I'll investigate further now, and let you know what i find out.

Regards
Dave W
Name already taken 12:54 AM - 10 March, 2014
OK, thank you again.

Brian
Serato, Support
David Wood 4:03 AM - 10 March, 2014
Hey Name already taken,

There appears to be a bug with the way we are writing some tags to .FLAC files. Thank you for making us aware of this issue. I've logged this with our development team. Hopefully they will be able to bring a fix for this in a future release. However I couldn't say when that might be. For now as a work around should be o.k unless you move the tracks out of your library and back in again. Sorry for any inconvenience causes.

Regards
Dave W
Name already taken 4:08 AM - 10 March, 2014
OK, Thanks a lot for your help! Is it possible for you to notify me when this is fixed? I will avoid using those fields altogether until that time. At least you support FLAC now.... I went over to Traktor a few years back because of the lack of FLAC support. Luckily the NS7ii and the fact that NI are so rude to their customers has brought me back! Thanks again!

Brian
Serato, Support
David Wood 8:16 PM - 10 March, 2014
Hey Name already taken,

Quote:
Is it possible for you to notify me when this is fixed?

I'd suggest keeping an eye on release notes in the future, we see many bugs come and go and personally i deal with hundreds of threads per week. I'd like to say i could make you aware when this is fixed, but i may not even know when this happens. Best beat is to keep an eye on the release notes when we release new versions of the Serato DJ software.

Regards
Dave W
Name already taken 12:58 AM - 25 March, 2014
I just downloaded the newest version 1.6.1 and I noticed there was a bug fix "Analyzing files with "Set Auto BPM" unticked causes auto gain to not be saved"

This does not seem to make autogain work with Flac files. I think it is related to the tagging issues described above.
Serato, Support
David Wood 3:31 AM - 25 March, 2014
This issue has not yet be addressed unfortunately.
Quote:
bug fix "Analyzing files with "Set Auto BPM" unticked causes auto gain to not be saved"

This is a different issue which was addressed.

Regards
Dave W
Name already taken 5:13 AM - 25 March, 2014
OK, I just wanted to mention that I think my issue is also the cause of the auto-gain not being saved on flac files. I noticed that others were having the same issue in other threads, and it would make sense if that were another parameter not being saved properly in .flac files. Thanks.

Brian
Name already taken 5:40 AM - 29 March, 2014
Hello Dave

I just dropped $70 on the Mixed In Key program. I wrote the key tags to the files and sure enough the Flac files did not show the tag after rescanning the tags. So I moved the "key" tag (initial key) to the "remixer" tag. Serato also does not read the "remixer" tags from flac files. I am using up all of the described tags which I am able to alter in Serato and now I have ran out of tags to store information. Sorry to pester you again but I have already used up the composer field for a "rating" column (I had to transfer the star rating from traktor to another field, then use a 3rd party program to copy that tag to the composer tag to use in serato), I am using the grouping, and genre tags for information (genre sacrificed for information not related to genre), and I have now run out of tags. I have also started to use a 3rd party program to set the "replaygain" in the Flac files as Serato is unable to do this.

As you can see I am having much difficulty with your software. The Flac support is very hindered and causing me much grief and rigamoral. I would be very grateful If these problems are fixed.

(also my NS7ii still disconnects on occasion having to force me to restart the controller - causing SDJ to crash) This issue is yet to be addressed - Not good while playing out live - last time it happened with my wifi on though. I will inform if this happens again with the wifi off (although I do not think total hardware/software failure is acceptable even if the wifi is accidentally left on)

Please help me with these issues as I will be very grateful. Thank you for your help again.

Brian
Name already taken 7:33 AM - 29 March, 2014
Hi, I just realized Serato is also unable to read the "Label" field on .Flac Files
Serato, Support
David Wood 3:47 AM - 2 April, 2014
We are aware of these issue. I actually logged these bugs personally. I've give them a bump for you, however from the support perspective we can't hurry the process really. IT's up to the Product team to decide on what gets faceted for fixing in each release. Hopefully these issues will be fixed soon, however i can't promise anything unfortunately.

There are many other formats which you can use in the mean time, as a work around.

Quote:
(also my NS7ii still disconnects on occasion having to force me to restart the controller - causing SDJ to crash) This issue is yet to be addressed - Not good while playing out live - last time it happened with my wifi on though. I will inform if this happens again with the wifi off (although I do not think total hardware/software failure is acceptable even if the wifi is accidentally left on)

Has this happened again? Could you tell me more and i'll see what we can do to resolve this with you.
10:10 PM, 10 Jun 2014
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.