Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

What's the best way to run mono?

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
Carlo30 4:52 AM - 21 February, 2014
I think I have a silly/simple newbie question...

Last week I played at a venue where they gave me only one XLR to plug into my ddj sx. The sound guy said it's for all the speakers throughout the venue.

During soundcheck I assumed to just plug it into my left master output in order to run mono and it sounded fine at the low volume they let me test in. However afterwards I came home to relax for a bit before I had to actually play. I decided to research the proper way to hook it up. I saw a post where someone said when given a single XLR to plug it into the right side output of the mixer. When I came back I decided to plug the single XLR into my right master output. But it didn't sound right and one of the speakers that was close to me sounded like it was going in and out. It was too late however, I already began my set.

I just want to know for next time. When given a single cable to plug into a clubs entire sound system, what's the proper side to plug it into my ddj sx? Also are their any settings within Serato DJ that I need to change in order to run in mono?
DJMartin 2:49 AM - 22 February, 2014
Hey Carlo30,

It is not really common that a single xlr is given. I never had this case, and I played in many clubs so far.
Anyway, if it would be the case with me, I'd go for RCA to XLR like this picture: simplifiaudio.com

You cannot change SDJ into mono as far as I know.
Serato, Support
Scott S 12:33 AM - 25 February, 2014
Hi Carlo30,

Quote:
I just want to know for next time. When given a single cable to plug into a clubs entire sound system, what's the proper side to plug it into my ddj sx? Also are their any settings within Serato DJ that I need to change in order to run in mono?

It would be best if you set the output to "Mono" in the Audio tab of the SETUP screen, as you will still be outputting stereo sound otherwise.

But yes, if this is set to Mono, you would get the same signal out of the left XLR as the right XLR. However having a club only provide you with one XLR cable and not provide a stereo input seems a little weird, do they always run mono sound at the club? Some clubs always run Mono systems, so just curious :)

Regards
Carlo30 9:12 PM - 27 February, 2014
Thanks for the advice. I think I will invest in that Y cable, it seems like a safe bet and I won't have to mess with any settings.
Carlo30 9:23 PM - 27 February, 2014
Quote:

do they always run mono sound at the club? Some clubs always run Mono systems, so just curious :)

Regards

I'm not sure exactly how their sound system is hooked up. The sound guy that works there didn't want me anywhere near their system. He just told me to set up and he'll hand me the cable when I'm ready. All he said was that it it goes to all of the speakers in that venue.
PapaDrew 10:40 PM - 5 September, 2014
I am running Serato DJ with a Pioneer DDJ-SX and I don't see an option to set the output to mono in the Audio tab of the Setup Screen?
Serato, Support
Scott S 9:18 PM - 7 September, 2014
Quote:
I am running Serato DJ with a Pioneer DDJ-SX and I don't see an option to set the output to mono in the Audio tab of the Setup Screen?

Sorry this option is now in the "Mixer" section of the Setup screen when your controller is connected.

I have attached a screenshot to this thread
Regards
9:18 PM, 7 Sep 2014
Scott S attached a file: Screen Shot 2014-09-08 at 9.16.07 am.png
View· Permalink
PapaDrew 11:02 PM - 7 September, 2014
Ahh, got it. Thanks!
Jamez Brown 11:45 PM - 14 November, 2014
Wish i had read this thread before last night, the venue i dj'ed at, only have a single XLR aswell, 20 years in djing, and i had never heared of it either, ah well, cest la vie. :)
deejdave 3:13 AM - 25 November, 2014
In my experience the BEST way to run true Mono has always been by using a "splicer" wire made for this. If you don't want to pony up the cash one can EASILY make one themselves.

For the record this has also been the best way to run the bass enclosures for me. I ALWAYS run my sub woofers in Mono with the rest of the system is Stereo.

If my father taught me anything it is always run your subs in Mono and always take advantage of horn enclosing. NOT always meant for enclosure types either. Since bass is not directional it is best to angle in the corners of the room and or at an angle to the wall. I have even aimed enclosures toward the floor with two triangle pieces of MDF on either side duplicating a HUGE horn enclosure. LMAO You know what? Got a HUGE increase of bass that way so not as funny as it sounds.

ANYWAYS yeah Mono is in setup menu under "mixer" section now.
As far as nightclubs providing one XLR I was the resident DJ/head DJ at Mulcahy's NY one summer and they only had one XLR. The whole sound setup was ran in Mono.
deejayjd 11:21 PM - 16 December, 2014
Because of how some venues are setup, sometimes it is more practical to run mono. However, a qualified sound guy would either A) Tell you how to switch it in your settings, or B) Simply have two xlr's run.
DEEJAY SHAN 4:09 AM - 15 February, 2015
RIDDLE
Hi guys !!! I use serato dj with pioneer ddj sx,mac os 10.9.5. noticed that the sound on the master output mono...in control when prowhisper mode CUE- I get stereo sound...master CUE--signal mono...recording also obtained---mono signal...in settings serato dj---SETUP---set signal--Stereo.
can anyone help?
Serato, Support
Scott S 8:20 PM - 15 February, 2015
Hi DEEJAY SHAN,

Please start your own help request if you are having problems so we can troubleshoot your issue specifically. There are a few questions we would like to run through with you that is best not done on another user's thread.

Please start a help request here > support.serato.com

Kind regards,
2:00 AM, 22 Apr 2015
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.