Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Smart sync for SL2 to Sl4

Cvm 4:18 PM - 6 February, 2014
Serato Dj should allow SL 3 users to be able to use smart sync. I noticed it was grayed out and only simple sync was available.

Will Serato Dj allow SL2-4 users to have smart sync as an option soon?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 10:33 PM - 6 February, 2014
Hey Cvm,

Yeah this is something we'd like to provide in an update.

What exactly do you want to achieve with Smart Sync that you can't do now? Is it just Sample Player Syncing? Or do you like the workflow of Smart Sync better?
Cvm 10:44 PM - 6 February, 2014
Logan,

I been a Dj for many years. I am new to sync. However, I noticed that with SL 3 I been using timecode vinyl sync behaved differently .

I analyzed my mp3s and Got the beat grids . I would then sync deck 1 with deck 2. Mind you, I am playing standard house percussion which has simple beat pattern.

I noticed with simple sync , after 4 bars into the blend , deck 1 and 2 fall off beat, out of sync. My understanding using "smart sync" , the two songs will not fall off beat assuming that the beat grids are accurate.

Yes, precisely what you said. I would like to use 4 bar samples in the sampler to sync with my decks 1 and 2. This would only add the creativity and frankly , fun of using Serato. :-)

When I upgraded from scratch to Sdj , I assumed sync would've been standard, smart sync that is.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 10:55 PM - 6 February, 2014
What you are experiencing is just the wow/flutter of the turntable. Serato DJ will 'sync' the tracks as a one-off action, so that the BPMs are the same, but after that they may gradually slip out due to one turntable being ever so slightly faster/slower. This does not happen with CDJs/controllers or using INT mode.

When we offer Smart Sync support for DVS (turntables/CDJs) we hope to solve this and have Serato DJ ignore this wow/flutter when in Sync mode which should result in a perfect Sync. You'll also be able to Sync the sample player.

There's no ETA on when this will be released right now but it's on the cards!
Cvm 11:00 PM - 6 February, 2014
Logan,

Thanks for the useful information . I will wait for that upgrade.

In the meantime, I will use SDJ as if I was using Scratch live and go from there. =D

I think Serato is a great tool and will only get better.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 11:02 PM - 6 February, 2014
No problem.

Plenty of awesomeness coming this year :)
easyG 4:14 PM - 8 February, 2014
+1
D_Cline 10:05 PM - 9 February, 2014
+1

Simple sync is nice to get tracks in time quickly, but I look forward to the day when I no longer have to ride the pitch slider throughout a mix.

Also, the rewind/jump to beginning of track button disappears in REL mode, while it remains there in Scratch Live. I know it's a minor thing, but I miss it. Is that coming back? The keyboard shortcuts still work, but I don't always trust myself to use those in front of a big crowd. It's a bit of a hassle to have to put cue points at the beginning of every track just to be able to quickly jump back to the start.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 10:13 PM - 9 February, 2014
Quote:
Also, the rewind/jump to beginning of track button disappears in REL mode, while it remains there in Scratch Live. I know it's a minor thing, but I miss it. Is that coming back? The keyboard shortcuts still work, but I don't always trust myself to use those in front of a big crowd. It's a bit of a hassle to have to put cue points at the beginning of every track just to be able to quickly jump back to the start.

We decided to remove this button, as we found it was not very widely used, and we wanted to make room for new features/functions. We'll be monitoring feedback closely to make sure this is actually the case.

Another way to achieve getting back to the start of the song is to turn on 'Drop to Aboslute Position' in the 'CD/Vinyl' tab of the Setup screen. That way you can just drop the needle at the start of the record and it will go back to the start of the song.
D_Cline 10:21 PM - 9 February, 2014
Good to know, I'll give "Drop to Absolute Position" a try. Thanks for the quick reply!
Tiger4life 1:38 PM - 12 February, 2014
+1
nikodb 2:26 PM - 12 February, 2014
Quote:

We decided to remove this button, as we found it was not very widely used, and we wanted to make room for new features/functions. We'll be monitoring feedback closely to make sure this is actually the case.

Another way to achieve getting back to the start of the song is to turn on 'Drop to Aboslute Position' in the 'CD/Vinyl' tab of the Setup screen. That way you can just drop the needle at the start of the record and it will go back to the start of the song.

Hey Logan,

I do understand your thinking, but like that you take away the option of either impromptu or a customer track on demand in there (and they can be many that nobody warned you about)...For example If you are djng on any place where a request is must e.g. a wedding or a private event or a small bar and you cant get away from the annoying customers (and we all know how annoying they can get when drunk) ..that rwnd and ffwd was way way easier to catch a non analyzed fresh track cue on the fly (rather than searching with your mouse and swallow hole chunks of the track each time)...That said comes along with a large variety of only timecode capable and non native supported players used out there...

See i work on all kinds of clubs-bars and mobile..My countries scene is disastrous on the mentality of what a dj should be carrying with him when it comes to music...and i cant handle everything with a limited library (but even if i could, i wouldn't wanna be having all that in there also,,things like discographies for e.g)....so for sure i will never be able to have All my tracks cued properly...and that rwd and fwd was helping to catch cues quickly and relatively easy...way easier in comparison when moving a mouse on the fixed waveform and then switch your mouse to the moving waveform, if you do not cue properly...just try it...be fair...and see the difference...All you need with the rwd button there is one click there on all sorts of situations...

I will live whatever you decide to do...but it is a very basic function for non native devices and more of a convenience on ONE click overall...Please do correct me if there is another as easy way of catching a cue on the fly, besides moving the mouse on that waveform which is way too abrupt on changes and you d have to swich over to the moving one and click everywhere, if you miss you cue...I could always be missing something here :)

Cheers
Nik
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 9:07 PM - 12 February, 2014
Hey nikodb,

I'm a little confused as to when you are using the Back/Rewind button. When you load a song you just want to get back to the start quickly, is that what you mean? Do you have 'Play from Start' ticked in the DJ Preferences tab of the Setup screen? This will mean a track will always load at the start.

Also, have you tried what I suggested above about using the 'Drop To Absolute Position' method?
Tiger4life 9:43 PM - 12 February, 2014
It seems like some DJs are expecting a software to do too much or just do their job for them. I don't see anything wrong with a DJ taking his own responsibility to perform correctly and also show great confidence in front of a crowd unless you're taking the DJ business by assault.
1-You shouldn't even be using smart sync to synchronize two decks.Simple sync should be enough to tempo match quickly instead of riding the pitch slider.After that take control of the mix by using the pitch bend/nudge to keep both decks in sync.I take pride in pitch bending or nudging while doing a mashup or mix. Sometimes I even let it slip up a bit so the crowd can notice that I'm in control of the mix and it's not the computer mixing for me.The only time you can get away using smart sync as a proud DJ is if you wanna include the Aux deck or SP6. I think that's too much so keeping the Aux deck or SP6 in sync with the master deck is important so you can focus on something else for instance scratching or applying FX.
2-There's a difference between the rewind and jump to beginning of track features.The rewind (Alt E) allows you to cue back the song in small increments while giving you a fast-roll effect.The jump back to beginning of track (Alt Q) as the name define itself is possible with the load previous track feature.Set a cue point at the beginning of the track if you're not confident as a DJ or even check 'Drop to Absolute Position' in the settings, or even click on the Overview Waveform.So many ways you can achieve what you wanna do.Stop wasting time asking for simple features to turn you to a robot DJ.
nikodb 10:30 PM - 12 February, 2014
Quote:
Hey nikodb,Also, have you tried what I suggested above about using the 'Drop To Absolute Position' method?

Hey Logan,

No going from the start or first cue point, or dropping to A cue point doesn't really do it...

What i am actually saying is that if you have a fresh never played track with no hot and or temp cues what so ever....and lets say for example you want to cue it and start it from the refrain/chorus part of it, where all the energy of the song is and will keep your dance mood going......(oldies are good examples for such mixing, many of them have low tempo verses and high energy choruses, so many times when the moods are high,,,you may wanna cut the "boring part" to just keep em going without any chance to relax)......

Now imagine you are stuck working on a Cdj 200....In order to achieve that on the fly on any fresh song (No hot cues there)....The rewind and forward on the software is the finest way...you will drop to an approximate position with a mouse click on the fixed waveform,,,but the fast/fwd and pitch bend+- on a paused track is the way to fine tune your cue to the absolute position you desire(dropping your mouse on waveform is way too abrupt, and only using pitch bend+- is way too slow)...I mean you could definately be using the cdj platters for that, on vinyl enabled players, but many many decks like cdj 100s and 200s like are still holding strong out there...So you kinda taking away a nice little tool there...Basically if you can find me a simpler and as efficient one click method...i am all good...

I mean Logan..you cannot have everything prepared...some of us are working improptu and also as multi-genre djs, working also beyond the local club scene, which is always somewhat prepped a bit more and easier to handle on music....i will live without as well, but honestly i don't think of it as a good move...i usually support you guys......but its just my opinion that the basics should always be there, even if not used by many......even a cdj 2000NXS has ffwd and rwnd...Many new Djs barely use platters would you ever take them out of the scene ? I m sure u ll say no...but why not...people are getting less and less interested in them...its getting there..no? (tho for sure most of them are nor working djs)

Please pass the msg :)

Cheers
Nik