Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

What difference between DDJ-SX and DDJ-SZ?

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
dont-know
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
m88 2:01 PM - 5 February, 2014
I'm planning to buy a DJ controller. So I need advice and some help what's exactly difference between DDJ-SX and the new coming DDJ-SZ? It's that only the size? or even performance changes?

Thanks!
Davideon 3:27 PM - 5 February, 2014
lots. Mainly, the sz supports dvs, has 2 USB ports, larger CDJ jogs, loop control by the performance pads
Popei 4:50 PM - 5 February, 2014
Will also advice you to go the the store and physically see the product, try your hands on, that way you will know some of the changes by the way it feels and work.
tribalizer 5:08 PM - 5 February, 2014
On paper, the audio signal pass is superior in the SZ. To me this is the main feature of this upgrade. The construction standard and size of the hardware will also more closely resemble and feel like the DJM and CDJs.
tribalizer 5:10 PM - 5 February, 2014
I meant "audio signal PATH"...
Serato, Support
Karl Y 10:47 AM - 7 February, 2014
Hi m88

there are lots of similarities but also lots of differences:

both work with Serato DJ, both have performance pads, individual channel filters, the deck layout is quite similar, both have a LED virtual sticker at the middle of the jog wheel, both have a four channel hardware mixer built in…

differences:
- DDJ SX has Dual Deck Mode (control two software decks simultaneously, e.g. one acapella and one instrumental track)

- DDJ SX is smaller

- DDJ SZ mixer has Pioneer hardware effects

- DDJ SZ hardware mixer EQ's are isolators (full kill) DDJ SX go to -26 dB only

- DDJ SZ performance pads are RGB colored

- DDJ SZ has an additional cue point sticker at the middle of the jog wheel

- DDJ SZ has two USB ports for seamless DJ transitions or back to back DJing

- DDJ SZ supports DVS (control vinyl input)

- DDJ SZ does not support smart sync (Simple Sync only, because it's a DVS device)
(edit) DDJ SZ has Smart Sync too, but not when using it in DVS mode

- … i probably forgot some things :D

Cheers

Karl
Pete Input 2:17 PM - 7 February, 2014
Quote:

- DDJ SZ does not support smart sync (Simple Sync only, because it's a DVS device)

Whooouuuw....
This is going to be a HUGE disappointment to a lot of people.
AdgeROZ 8:13 PM - 7 February, 2014
^^ good thing i checked the forum this time, i did not know that either, i was planning to grab one too
DJTA88 11:54 PM - 7 February, 2014
I just checked with the official pioneer manual for the ddj-sz as this statement above is not true.

With Serato DJ, [SYNC PREFERENCE] is set to [Simple sync] by default, but this must be switched to [Smart sync] in order to perform beat grid operations.
DJTA88 12:28 AM - 8 February, 2014
tribalizer 12:55 AM - 8 February, 2014
Me, i'm just bummed out to find out that my DDJ-SX's eqs don't do full kill, and only -26db. Why the fuck didnt i research it deeper before buying i dont know. Now i want to sell it to get the SZ.
DJTA88 1:05 AM - 8 February, 2014
Does anyone know if the Jogwheels on the new Sz have a better resolution/response time than the SX ? I noticed with the SX there was a slight lag while scratching or dropping the track using the jog...
Serato, Support
Karl Y 2:30 PM - 10 February, 2014
I'm afraid the manual is not correct then.
There is no smart sync with DVS devices yet.
It's something we want to add in the future though.

Thanks for letting us know about the wrong manual.

Cheers
Karl
DJTA88 9:16 PM - 10 February, 2014
Karl,

Is this something that can be added to the software easily ?
dj-freestyle 9:56 PM - 10 February, 2014
@karl, maybe you can use smart sync with the internal decks just not the dvs stuff?
deejdave 11:55 PM - 10 February, 2014
I had no idea this was the case. I already payed for my SZ in full too. I have the SRT & Rane 64 which I just confirmed don't have it either but my SX does. I guess this is not a big deal at all for me as I have never used it and didn't even know they don't have it LOL. I can see this being a big deal for others though as the SYNC features are becoming part of many DJ's daily routine.
Davideon 4:12 PM - 15 February, 2014
Quote:
Karl,

How likely is it that the sz WILL get smart sync Karl, and any idea on time frame?
JonLangford 4:36 PM - 15 February, 2014
... about £900.... and 7KGs!!!
Serato, Support
Karl Y 6:33 PM - 15 February, 2014
Hi BBD

Quote:

Not "easily".
Mainly because Smart Sync with DVS would have to recognize and then ignore wow and flutter, but at the same time recognize a wanted change in motion (scratch).
The two are technically the same though, (change of control signal velocity) so there has to be a treshold value and some magic.

Its kind of similar to how keylock has to momentarily disengage when it recognizes a scratch, though a bit more complicated, because a mis-interpreted flutter would only have a momentary effect on keylock, whereas you would fall out of sync "forever" until you manually re-sync.

We decided that giving DVS users simple sync is a good start, as it works quite well for quantized songs.
As long as your songs don't change their tempo, simple sync with "snap to beatgrid" is almost identical to smart sync.

Long story short, Smart Sync for DVS is something we want to do in the future but it was out of scope for Serato DJ 1.6. There is no timeframe yet, but given the demand for the ability to sync the sampler, i'd say something along these lines is probably quite likely.
I'm not one of the decision makers though, so i'm not promising anything here ;-)

As a rule of thumb, i'd always recommend to buy gear based on the features already on offer, rather than what might be coming in an update.

Cheers
Karl
Deejay Z 3:43 AM - 1 March, 2014
What about Split Cue? Is this a software side decision or hardware?
Davideon 5:50 AM - 1 March, 2014
Hardware
Deejay Z 11:57 PM - 2 March, 2014
So no Split Cue on the SZ? Seems like a simple feature to always include :(
Serato, Support
Karl Y 12:20 PM - 3 March, 2014
Hi Deejay Z

There is no Split Cue on the DDJ SZ

Cheers
Karl
Asu 1:27 PM - 3 March, 2014
Quote:
I had no idea this was the case. I already payed for my SZ in full too. I have the SRT & Rane 64 which I just confirmed don't have it either but my SX does. I guess this is not a big deal at all for me as I have never used it and didn't even know they don't have it LOL. I can see this being a big deal for others though as the SYNC features are becoming part of many DJ's daily routine.

i've used simple sync only on the SX,what's the difference with smart sync?
Serato, Support
Karl Y 1:36 PM - 3 March, 2014
Smart Sync locks the beatgrids together.

So even if one of your tracks has a lot of swing, i.e. the BPM fluctuates, it will stay in perfect sync with the other tracks, given that you have the downbeat markers in your beatgrid set correctly.
Asu 1:40 PM - 3 March, 2014
Quote:
Smart Sync locks the beatgrids together.

So even if one of your tracks has a lot of swing, i.e. the BPM fluctuates, it will stay in perfect sync with the other tracks, given that you have the downbeat markers in your beatgrid set correctly.

ok got it...so if i get what you're saying...if the grids aren't lined up correctly,then you'll have problems
Serato, Support
Karl Y 2:41 PM - 3 March, 2014
Yes, Smart Sync relies on accurate beatgrids :-)

We mostly get them right for todays music, but for older songs or songs with fluctuating bpm or tempi changes in general, you need to manually adjust the grid
dj-freestyle 7:29 PM - 3 March, 2014
This whole thing about no controls for touch is really concerning. its must on my sx so not being able to adjust it is scary.
Asu 7:35 PM - 3 March, 2014
Quote:
This whole thing about no controls for touch is really concerning. its must on my sx so not being able to adjust it is scary.

Though they have the CDJ 2000 type Jog control,isn't that enough.

i'll go check it out my self,was thinking about getting this and ditching the SX due to the DVS compatibility and a generally better mixer section
Asu 7:35 PM - 3 March, 2014
Thought!
dj-freestyle 7:38 PM - 3 March, 2014
Witch touch platter they react to everybody fingers different and release time is important. its scary you cant adjust
deejdave 11:50 PM - 3 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Though they have the CDJ 2000 type Jog control,isn't that enough.

i'll go check it out my self,was thinking about getting this and ditching the SX due to the DVS compatibility and a generally better mixer section

They have the CDJ-2000 SIZE not type. The actual pressure mechanism/system is the same as the DDJ-SX while the size is the same as CDJ's. The platters torque is adjustable but not the sensitivity. From what I am hearing the sensitivity is good though. I do know for a fact I set my DDJ-SX once and left it alone. Set it & forget it LOL. I am hoping it is just at the setting I set it at and I will be all good.
akakak 1:30 AM - 5 March, 2014
I get why running CDJs or 1210s through the SZ would kill smart sync, but why can't the onboard platters work as with the SX?
akakak 1:38 AM - 5 March, 2014
Quote:

- DDJ SX has Dual Deck Mode (control two software decks simultaneously, e.g. one acapella and one instrumental track)

I took this to mean it could only act as two decks, glad to know that you can still control four decks via the controller on its own. I never used Dual Deck Mode anyway…

Also, very glad they added the brake speed knob back! I used that a lot on the S1. And I like the separate browsing controls - that should stop me accidentally loading a track on to the wrong deck. The first time I did this though, I automatically hit command-Z to undo, and was pleasantly surprised that not only did it get rid of the track, but it put the other one back and in the same place it would have been if I hadn't screwed up! Nice feature.

I agree it's a shame there's still no split cue though.
Asu 4:12 PM - 5 March, 2014
changed my mind lol,got a pair open box CDJ900's( non nexus) for $1600,no tax,guess i'll keep my SX for now
Sulli 5:41 PM - 5 March, 2014
Another difference I've read about that can be added to the "differences List"...

-DDJ SZ does not have post-fader assignment for Serato DJ 1.6 software effects like the SX.

This is dissapointing and confusing to me. Hope this can be changed in the future..
dj-freestyle 6:36 PM - 5 March, 2014
Im pretty sure the video of the guy using it showed a effect post fader.
dj-freestyle 6:44 PM - 5 March, 2014
pretty sure in this video he shows effects post fader

Watchwww.youtube.com
dj-freestyle 6:49 PM - 5 March, 2014
he uses the onboard effects got it.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 1:15 PM - 6 March, 2014
Hey all,

i've just been informed that the DDJ SZ does have smart sync when you disable DVS completely under Setup-> Expansion Pack -> Vinyl / CDJ Control.
It then behaves like any other Serato DJ controller in that regard.

So i was wrong. Sorry.

Karl
Sulli 3:46 PM - 9 March, 2014
I think another difference between the SZ and SX is that the SX has a replaceable cross fader. From the pics of the SZ it looks like you can't replace the cross fader. Unless you can do it by removing the faceplate maybe?
Serato, Support
Karl Y 5:23 PM - 11 March, 2014
yes the DDJ SZ crossfader is not replaceable, but its a magnetic one with tension adjustment, so there shouldn't be a need to do so ;)
Asu 9:48 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
yes the DDJ SZ crossfader is not replaceable, but its a magnetic one with tension adjustment, so there shouldn't be a need to do so ;)

KARL can you confirm that Pioneer is working on a dual USB 2 Channel SRT type Battle Mixer with Serato?

If true i'd second that and be first in line.It's the one Serato Mixer Pioneer is missing.
deejdave 12:54 AM - 12 March, 2014
Confirm? I missed where/who said they were working on one. Pioneer would never let that kind of info out prior to official announcement.
Asu 12:34 PM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
Confirm? I missed where/who said they were working on one. Pioneer would never let that kind of info out prior to official announcement.

i know people dave :-)
Sulli 1:16 PM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:

Tell those people about the sensitivity adjustment issue on the SZ please ;^)
Asu 8:44 PM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Tell those people about the sensitivity adjustment issue on the SZ please ;^)

lol
deejdave 9:59 PM - 12 March, 2014
Unless these people work for Pioneer I would take it as rumor. If they do in fact work for Pioneer they would absolutely know way before anyone at Serato would. What sounds the most flaky about the concept is a battle mixer is typically 2 channels....................... so how would dual USB be useful with a two channel mixer? A dual USB 4 channel Pioneer club mixer however would in fact make a lot of sense and I too would welcome such an idea. I sure hope they make a few changes other than that as I already sound silly trying to convince my friends (NON DJ's) that there is a significant difference between my SRT & my Nexus............................. "I dunno, they LOOK the same to me" LMAO
bbnation 10:35 PM - 12 March, 2014
I was at the store and looking at the DDJ SZ, The controller are HUGE, also we talk about monster controller, it's even bigger than CDJ900 sets. IMO the size is exaggerated and extremely uncomfortable compare with CDJ900.

I wonder how it can be possible for one like me who are thinking to take the controller with me when I'm playing at the club.

and I guess if Pioneer do not release this year a mini SZ also same size as the SX then I think many will refrain from buying this monster controller.
akakak 12:14 AM - 13 March, 2014
A mini SZ *is* an SX…
deejdave 12:31 AM - 13 March, 2014
@ bbnation - They are already going to have issues with filling current pre-orders. As a matter of fact there were so many that stores are starting to stop taking them and even paying in full does not guarantee anything at this point. As a matter of fact if you do partial pre-order, layaway, payment plan, etc. you are guaranteed not to get from the first shipment.................... unless you know someone as there is always exceptions. Point is we are already looking at a DDJ-SX repeat. If you haven't pre-ordered yet you are probably looking at April the earliest (for the states) depending on where you go. We will also have MUCH more info as far as actual availability at your local on the 17th & after.

Quote:
it's even bigger than CDJ900 sets. IMO the size is exaggerated and extremely uncomfortable compare with CDJ900.

Yes BUT it is smaller than the CDJ-900's WITH A MIXER (which would be the more logical comparison as you NEED a mixer) as seen here. This is a comparison between SZ & CDJ-2000 setup which is a fraction larger than the CDJ-900 setup in width, height & weight. Furthermore it is also larger in depth when the DDJ-SP1 is added (which MUST be added in order to be a fair comparison with the SZ).
images.search.yahoo.com

Quote:
I wonder how it can be possible for one like me who are thinking to take the controller with me when I'm playing at the club.

This controller is a.) aimed at nightclubs so hopefully it will already be at the club and b.) if a CDJ-900/2000 setup can be transported (which IS larger even if you think it isn't) then this can absolutely be transported.

Quote:
and I guess if Pioneer do not release this year a mini SZ also same size as the SX then I think many will refrain from buying this monster controller.

This is a pretty hysterical logic. So you are saying that Pioneer developing a smaller controller will increase sales for this controller? Now how exactly do customers purchasing alternate controllers help the SZ's sales in any way?

@ akakak - BINGO!!! TBH I would guess they are done for a while as "the DDJ-SZ completes their lineup". Obviously the future is open and who knows what will happen but I think there's a possibility we won't see anything for a while.

I would assume more entry level gear (beginner controllers) and some pro level gear (CDJ's & possibly a new media player/controller concept).
Asu 12:47 PM - 13 March, 2014
Quote:
so how would dual USB be useful with a two channel mixer?

ever heard of the Rane 62,this would be something like that...you can switch one channel at a time or spin together :-) plus having a smaller mixer.
deejdave 1:02 AM - 14 March, 2014
I mean great for switching but that really benefits a club owner. I had the 62 and never really used the dual USB as I don't use a partner nor do I want anyone using my mixer after I leave the booth LOL. I suppose some do have a use for it though. I ended up upgrading to the 64 where I am able to use two laptops and have more screen real estate as well as maintain a "mainstream" collection (which has everything) and my main set library. IF they were to release a new dual USB SRT style my vote would be for a four channel but that's just my opinion.
bbnation 11:33 AM - 14 March, 2014
I'm very disappointed. I gonna have summer tour and the plan is to take this SZ with me.

Today's electronic such as TVs and PCs going constantly towards more modern and they should be how smooth whatsoever. But here I do not understand that it's 2014 and that Pioneer comes with a controller that looks and be 10 years ago old with this size and thickness.

Pioneer could at least do the SZ thinner.
akakak 12:34 PM - 14 March, 2014
I'm surprised by this comment. With thinness comes smaller components and less rigidity.

I'd rather something professional grade, with rugged components, to something I could easily bend or snap over my leg.
bbnation 1:09 PM - 14 March, 2014
"With thinness comes smaller components and less rigidity."

That's absolutely not true at all. It is enough to look at Apples products or LED TV's. Thinness has nothing to do with whether there is sufficient rigid or not. The material is durable.

The Pioneer doesn't release any information about the inside of SZ, so we can see what's really is inside in this controller. And if the size is done by purpose just to make the SZ "bigger".
Asu 1:11 PM - 14 March, 2014
Quote:
I'm very disappointed. I gonna have summer tour and the plan is to take this SZ with me.

Today's electronic such as TVs and PCs going constantly towards more modern and they should be how smooth whatsoever. But here I do not understand that it's 2014 and that Pioneer comes with a controller that looks and be 10 years ago old with this size and thickness.

Pioneer could at least do the SZ thinner.

smaller = SX ...i too was thinking about upgrading from SX to the SZ but the size is a no go...looks like the SZ is geared towards a small club install but it's a great controller.
akakak 1:56 PM - 14 March, 2014
Quote:
That's absolutely not true at all. It is enough to look at Apples products or LED TV's. Thinness has nothing to do with whether there is sufficient rigid or not. The material is durable.

Would you carry an LED TV around with you to clubs and throw it down somewhere you might spill drinks on it? I wouldn't call those rugged. I could snap one over my knee.
bbnation 6:28 PM - 14 March, 2014
What I mean here that a those DJ controller should have a determined size, that's why we choice controller. The SX size was perfect for a DJ controller.
If people want bigger than this size in SX, then they should go for CDJ's products.

Note the pads and buttons of the SZ are even bigger than SX.
wampaone 6:55 PM - 14 March, 2014
Are you really complaining about a few inches and a few lbs???
wampaone 6:59 PM - 14 March, 2014
And why should anything be limited to a certain size??? I'd be more upset that it doesn't have a screen and USB readers like CDJs so you wouldn't have to use a laptop if you didn't want to!!!!

I say take the pads and FX away give me the screen and let me hook up N sp1 if I wish.
DJ RoachC 9:25 PM - 14 March, 2014
Quote:
Hi m88

Can you buy DDJ_SZ now?

there are lots of similarities but also lots of differences:

both work with Serato DJ, both have performance pads, individual channel filters, the deck layout is quite similar, both have a LED virtual sticker at the middle of the jog wheel, both have a four channel hardware mixer built in…

differences:

- DDJ SX is smaller

- DDJ SZ mixer has Pioneer hardware effects

- DDJ SZ hardware mixer EQ's are isolators (full kill) DDJ SX go to -26 dB only

- DDJ SZ performance pads are RGB colored

- DDJ SZ has an additional cue point sticker at the middle of the jog wheel

- DDJ SZ has two USB ports for seamless DJ transitions or back to back DJing

- DDJ SZ supports DVS (control vinyl input)

(edit) DDJ SZ has Smart Sync too, but not when using it in DVS mode

- … i probably forgot some things :D

Cheers

Karl
bbnation 6:31 PM - 28 March, 2014
When I hit the play button to kill it full then it wont work. it goes very slow, where can I change it to full kill?

the second question is in files when I'm loading songs and first I go to the folder but when I do it with the controller and hit to choice that folder it wont work so I have do it with the mouse. how can I choice folder with the button in the controller?
Davideon 6:37 PM - 28 March, 2014
Go to setup and change the stop time

Try a different USB port
bbnation 6:48 PM - 28 March, 2014
I try to change USB port I also hit down that "screw" button but It wont work to choice folder with it but it work to choice songs with it to the decks.
KlausMogensen 8:26 AM - 30 April, 2014
Quote:

Not "easily".
Mainly because Smart Sync with DVS would have to recognize and then ignore wow and flutter, but at the same time recognize a wanted change in motion (scratch).
The two are technically the same though, (change of control signal velocity) so there has to be a treshold value and some magic.

Its kind of similar to how keylock has to momentarily disengage when it recognizes a scratch, though a bit more complicated, because a mis-interpreted flutter would only have a momentary effect on keylock, whereas you would fall out of sync "forever" until you manually re-sync.

Cheers
Karl

Just stumbled across this. This is an excellent explanation. Kudos!
10:10 PM, 10 Jun 2014
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.