Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

OSX - SL3 with VCI-380 in SeratoDJ - partial workaround (or hack)

djBern 1:52 AM - 5 February, 2014
So I was really disappointed that I couldn't have both my SL3 and VCI-380 plugged in at the same time. I sooo wanted to use all the VCI-380 buttons and knobs while using it as a mixer for my SL3.

Then just for fun, I went into Audio MIDI Setup and *renamed* the Vestax VCI-380 to anything but "Vestax VCI-380".

Lo and behold, SDJ didn't crash when I plugged both of them in. The VCI now shows up as a MIDI controller and I'm able to map buttons and sliders. I still can't do track browsing and instant doubles, but I can map everything else. The only other thing is the hot cue, slicer, auto loop and loop roll buttons don't seem to do anything (just stays in hot cue mode).

Platters don't work as SeratoDJ sees it as a pure MIDI controller, but maybe after playing around and messing with the XML file I might find a way to get some of these functions to work.

I'll post anything else I find with this combo on this thread. I'm pretty sure this will work with other SDJ controllers too so anybody that can get it working on other controllers post your results here!
deejdave 2:21 AM - 5 February, 2014
You get the platters working and you're on to something great. You don't and you've got yourself an oversized midi controller with the same capabilities as every other. Nice stuff though either way.
djBern 2:43 AM - 5 February, 2014
So far I have an all-in-one mixer/MIDI controller ;-)

...but I'll keep on it.
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:54 PM - 5 February, 2014
Nice find :-)

Quote:
You get the platters working and you're on to something great. You don't and you've got yourself an oversized midi controller with the same capabilities as every other. Nice stuff though either way.

But if you wanted to use the paltters why on earth would you plug in an sl box?? you would just use the vci-380 as normal.

i think if your using turntables and only have this as your MIXER this is a great idea!
djBern 4:59 PM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:

Quote:

But if you wanted to use the paltters why on earth would you plug in an sl box?? you would just use the vci-380 as normal.

i think if your using turntables and only have this as your MIXER this is a great idea!

Yep, this is how I'm using it - as a mixer, but now I'm able to use the buttons, faders and knobs for other SeratoDJ functions. I also use ME for video so this gives me greater control with that too.

Maybe since the platters are useless (for SDJ right now) I can map something in ME for them :-D
deejdave 5:16 PM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:

Quote:

Dont get me wrong this is awesome BUT to have the platters working you can use the TT's controlling decks 1 & 2 while the platters control 3 & 4. Similar to how it works with a controller and CDJ's in HID. Just sayin. This is great as is already BUT as is there is no real benefit for one to make the switch from a mixer/midi setup to this......................... unless you already have this controller. PLEASE UNDERSTAND I am not trying to take anything away from the OP as it's still impressive work. It just seems to me as is instead of saving space you are adding more by having space taken up by DOA platters. I promise just tryin to help. This is still thinking outside the box and a help to the community at large.
djBern 5:42 PM - 5 February, 2014
The reason this is useful for *me* is because I don't have a regular mixer. I use my VCI-380 with SeratoDJ for gigs where I don't need DVS (or in tight spaces), but when I do use DVS (which I prefer as I find the VCI platters too small) the VCI is there as a mixer anyway. So might as well put those buttons and knobs to use lol.

That said, it's still unusable because I'm not able to browse tracks, and load songs with it, but I've mapped pretty much all the other things that I mapped on this controller with SSL. Once I (or anybody) figure out how to hack the midi XML to browse and load songs then I will have the exact same setup for SeratoDJ as I currently do with SSL for DVS. This will allow me to switch seamlessly from SSL to SDJ and take advantage of all the SDJ features like PnT, FX, and any future enhancements.

Plus like I said, it works well with midi mapping ME functions too. I can control both SSL/SDJ and ME with a single controller.
Dokumentary 6:44 PM - 5 February, 2014
Nicely done djBern!!!

I use the same set-up as you with SSL and ME with the VCI-380 as the mixer. I'm gonna give this a try ASAP. I have recently been thinking about selling my 380 and getting a 2-channel MIDI mixer. Especially now that NI has lowered the price on the Kontrol Z2 again. Although I use SSL + ME (with the 380) setup at 99% of my gigs, I'm a little reluctant to sell the 380 because I'd be left with no standalone SDJ controller. So my question(s) for you:

- Does everything work properly if you change the name back to "Vestax VCI-380"?

- Have you tried to copy / paste any of the custom xml from the Vestax SSL mapping?
help.vestax.co.jp
I know they said that MIDI works differently in SDJ than SSL but it might be worth downloading and messing around with it. Ya know?

- Have you tried opening the Package Contents in SDJ and looking to see how other controllers interact with SDJ? (MIDI, xml, HID) I don't know if you would find anything useful but it could be another way to learn about how SDJ makes connections with controllers.

Great job. Keep us updated on your progress!
blackavenger 6:57 PM - 5 February, 2014
What about using the browsr crate/track select feature on the CV itself to load tracks? Does that still work? What I mean is, was that ported over from ScratchLIVE? I dont have my SL3 anymore, so I don't know.
djBern 7:14 PM - 5 February, 2014
Hi Dokumentary,

Quote:
Nicely done djBern!!!

I use the same set-up as you with SSL and ME with the VCI-380 as the mixer. I'm gonna give this a try ASAP. I have recently been thinking about selling my 380 and getting a 2-channel MIDI mixer. Especially now that NI has lowered the price on the Kontrol Z2 again. Although I use SSL + ME (with the 380) setup at 99% of my gigs, I'm a little reluctant to sell the 380 because I'd be left with no standalone SDJ controller. So my question(s) for you:

- Does everything work properly if you change the name back to "Vestax VCI-380"?

Yes, it's completely reversible.
Quote:

- Have you tried to copy / paste any of the custom xml from the Vestax SSL mapping?
help.vestax.co.jp
I know they said that MIDI works differently in SDJ than SSL but it might be worth downloading and messing around with it. Ya know?

I tried but it didn't work. Looking at the XML they are completely different and would need some trial/error (a lot!) to get something working.

maybe the Serato MODs can give us some undocumented MIDI XML hints ;-) ;-)
Quote:

- Have you tried opening the Package Contents in SDJ and looking to see how other controllers interact with SDJ? (MIDI, xml, HID) I don't know if you would find anything useful but it could be another way to learn about how SDJ makes connections with controllers.

Have not tried, but I think I will when I get home today!
Quote:

Great job. Keep us updated on your progress!

Thanks. I will!
Dokumentary 8:42 AM - 6 February, 2014
I wonder what happens if you plug in a Pioneer 900nxs and change the name to "Pioneer 900srt" or whatever it's actually supposed to be. Maybe ask someone who owns an SRT what it shows up as in the Audio MIDI setup. I don't own one but, it would be pretty cool if it worked right?
djBern 7:54 PM - 7 February, 2014
Quote:
What about using the browsr crate/track select feature on the CV itself to load tracks? Does that still work? What I mean is, was that ported over from ScratchLIVE? I dont have my SL3 anymore, so I don't know.

Tried this the other day and no it doesn't work with SeratoDJ :-(
Dokumentary 8:14 PM - 8 February, 2014
So, how do I rename the VCI? I opened Audio MIDI Setup app and clicked on Vestax VCI-380. There doesn't seem to be a way to rename it. I right clicked it and see Configure Device and Configure Speakers but, Configure Device is grayed out. Tried holding option/control/command/shift down but it stays greyed out. pls help. thx
djBern 8:16 PM - 8 February, 2014
You can double-click on it, or click "Show Info" while it's highlighted.
djBern 8:20 PM - 8 February, 2014
...but anyway, without the ability to scroll the library and load songs it's still pretty much useless aside from the fact SDJ doesn't crash anymore when you have both VCI and SL3 connected or regardless of what order you plug them in... :-(
Dokumentary 8:37 PM - 8 February, 2014
True. and I spent a lot of time working with SSL's MIDI xml to get the cue button lights to match the on screen cue points so, I'm sure it'll be annoying to not have any lighting feedback. I do have a Denon HC-1000s though so I wanna get it setup and then start messing around with it to see if we can figure out the rest.

Problem is: It doesn't allow me to rename it. Nothing happens when I double click it. Either in the source panel (left side) or at the top (above Clock Source: Vestax Internal Clock)

Were you still working with the beta when you did this mod? Maybe they patched it.

I can rename other devices in the source list. Just not the VCI or the SL4.
Dokumentary 8:44 PM - 8 February, 2014
2012 MBP 15" i7 (2.6 GHz)
Mavericks 10.9.1
SDJ 1.6.0 (release version not beta) although I did save all the beta versions.
djBern 9:28 PM - 8 February, 2014
strange, it works fine for me, unless we're looking at different screens.

Here's a link to the screnshot:
s1315.photobucket.com

All I have to do is hit Apply and it takes it and shows up as VCI-300 in SDJ's MIDI section.
djBern 9:32 PM - 8 February, 2014
If you're technical you can go to ~/Library/Audio/MIDI Configurations and edit the Default.mcfg file in there. I've been playing around with it but haven't accomplished much yet.

You can rename the device and even change the manufacturer and model in the file, but I think you need to reboot right after making changes otherwise it gets overwritten as soon as you plug in your controller.
djBern 9:38 PM - 8 February, 2014
Oh, just remembered - I think it needs to be disconnected before you can rename it. Try that. :-)
Dokumentary 10:58 PM - 8 February, 2014
Hmm... Neither the VCI or the SL4 show up in my "MIDI Studio" window. Also, neither show in my source list when not connected. There is one device with no name and one that says "Numark USB Audio Device". Must be left over from when I had NS6. Here's screenshots:

unplugged:
www.dropbox.com

Note: I opened the properties window of the unnamed device
adobos 6:21 AM - 15 February, 2014
is there a way to do this (edit controller name) through windows 7? (pls dont laugh at me)
Beau Mojarro 10:30 AM - 11 March, 2014
Well done djBern, I was told i wouldn't be able to hook up my MixTrack Pro II as a midi with my technics, SL2, and a mixer. I tried a few times, my controller's buttons and knobs were set to their default and i was unable to remap them, but it eventually it would crash.

I renamed my MTPII as you showed and it seems to work. I was able to map buttons and knobs myself. so far no crashes.

I did have some problems mapping my rotary knobs with the effect's wet and dry parameters in the software. I tried all the modes including relative but the software's parameters seems to only go one way. please let me know if u encountered anything similar and Thanks for the workaround!!
djBern 12:15 PM - 11 March, 2014
@Beau Mojarro - great to hear it helped you!

Hopefully soon Serato can make it so we don't have to have workarounds and we can just use multiple devices without issues.

Not sure about the rotary knobs, maybe run MIDI monitor to see if there is any useful info in the MIDI messages.
Formica 3:40 PM - 11 March, 2014
Interesting! I came here looking for this very discussion. I just inherited an SL1200 mk3 and I am curious about going to a four-deck configuration using a VCI-380, 2 SL1200s, a Rane SL2/3/4, and/or a mixer. Adding this functionality would be, to turn a phrase, super sweet. I suppose it would also open the door to double-decking in general, which would be fantastic.
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:28 PM - 11 March, 2014
Quote:
Interesting! I came here looking for this very discussion. I just inherited an SL1200 mk3 and I am curious about going to a four-deck configuration using a VCI-380, 2 SL1200s, a Rane SL2/3/4, and/or a mixer. Adding this functionality would be, to turn a phrase, super sweet. I suppose it would also open the door to double-decking in general, which would be fantastic.

You will not have four decks you can hook up the two 1200s and a rane box to two of the imputs of the vci-380. Then the rest if the 380 can be midi mapped. But serato dj is VERY basic with midi controll so not really alot to midi map. And you will have no platter control.

So no you wont have four decks.
djBern 6:40 PM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
You will not have four decks you can hook up the two 1200s and a rane box to two of the imputs of the vci-380. Then the rest if the 380 can be midi mapped. But serato dj is VERY basic with midi controll so not really alot to midi map. And you will have no platter control.

If you really want 4 decks with your 1200s and VCI-380, you can get the Vestax mapping for the platters, then use your 1200s with the SL4 and ScratchLive.

But without sync the beatmatching can get complicated real fast ;-)
Dokumentary 10:13 PM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

If you really want 4 decks with your 1200s and VCI-380, you can get the Vestax mapping for the platters, then use your 1200s with the SL4 and ScratchLive.

But without sync the beatmatching can get complicated real fast ;-)

How would you control gain and EQ for channels 3 & 4 tho? The VCI-380 only has 2 channels.
Did Vestax ever make a mapping for the VCI-400? Or is there a workaround for the 380?
djBern 10:26 PM - 12 March, 2014
ooh, you're right, lol! Can't with the VCI-380.
Dokumentary 10:34 PM - 12 March, 2014
Quote:
ooh, you're right, lol! Can't with the VCI-380.

Bings up an interesting idea tho. I'd never even thought to use the platters (INT) in conduction with TTs (REL). I guess I kind of do it sometimes when I'm being lazy or when I'm playing rock music that can't be blended. Never thought to use it in a performance tho.

Now I kinda wanna get a VCI-400 and see if it can be mapped like the 380!
djBern 3:33 AM - 20 May, 2014
While waiting for Serato's midi panel, and In case anyone's interested, along with this hack, I went back to an oldschool hack we used to do before MIDI implementation by using Midistroke - it works just like Bomes but I don't think Bomes is free anymore so I went with this. You'll also need Midi Monitor or any other app that can show you the MIDI signals.

With this workaround I was able to MIDI map keystrokes for the library scroll, focus tab, load left & right, and instant doubles left & right. I was also able to map the pitch sliders by changing the control data from 45 to 13 (the VCI sends both and SDJ was picking up the wrong one, which caused the pitch to move erraticaly from end to end).

Still can't map the platters, but now I can use DVS mode and use it the way I usually use it, with one TT and instant doubles. Great for the scratching feel but still more compact than a full setup.