Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Audio dropout warning!

Product
Serato DJ Pro
Version
Hardware
Pioneer DJ DDJ-SX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
DjCity 3:54 PM - 4 February, 2014
I have the audio dropout warning light coming on in 1.6 even when I'm doing nothing.

No tracks loaded. No fax on, not even touching the controller.

I'm using a Pioneer DDJ-SX with my Macbook Pro 2.5 quad core i7 with 16th ram.

1.5 I had relatively no problems. Never had audio dropout light come on.

I had the master volume all the way down. Gain set to just under 11:00. Eq settings at 12:00. Auto gain set to 90db. USB buffer set to 1ms (will not compromise on this!)
Display set to 60 (will not compromise on this).

What's up with that?
DjCity 10:00 PM - 4 February, 2014
Quote:
I have the audio dropout warning light coming on in 1.6 even when I'm doing nothing.

No tracks loaded. No fax on, not even touching the controller.

Should have read "no FX" on.

Anyone see this yet? I know you guys are busy.

I saw in another post that others have had this issue.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 1:15 PM - 6 February, 2014
Hi DjCity

does the dropout warning go away when you disable Pitch'N'Time DJ in the setup area?

When Pitch N Time is enabled, there is a higher load on the CPU's

Do you get actual audio dropouts or is it the light coming on only?

Cheers
Karl
DjCity 7:11 PM - 6 February, 2014
I have updated (upgraded) my Macbook to...

15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display
16GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
1TB Flash Storage1
Intel Iris Pro Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M

The new MBP is fully specked. The only other thing I could do on the new machine is upgrade the ram to 32gb but serato would not be able to use all that ram anyway.
With Pitch n Time enabled on this machine, The light still comes on but not as much or as often.

I will test both laptops with Pitch n Time enabled and disabled to see if that isolates the issue.

I will post back soon.
6:43 PM, 7 Feb 2014
DjCity attached a file: Pitch n Time vs No Pitch N Time Demo of SOUND.aif
Download· Permalink
DjCity 6:44 PM - 7 February, 2014
I have tested it on both computers and these are my findings...

Both laptops
Pitch n Time on = Orange and Red Droupout light.
No matter what the buffer is set to. (I can't go above 1ms due to my style of DJ'ing)

Another WEIRD thing going on.
With Pitch n Time on, The entire sound is bad. Bass warbles. This is with the pitch at 0.

It even shows up in recordings so it's NOT just the output or the signal. It's internal with the sound in sera to with Pitch n Time on.

I have attached a file for review

You can hear the difference when you hear the music stop, I engaged Pitch n Time. Next time music stops, Pitch n Time disengaged.
I did this a few times with different tracks.

BELIEVE ME!!! You will hear the problem.
I recorded this on the higher spec MBP.
DjCity 6:36 PM - 9 February, 2014
Hello?!?
Djjahburg 1:28 AM - 10 February, 2014
+1
DjCity 5:16 PM - 11 February, 2014
Hellooooooo?!?!?

I have not heard anything from serato in 5 days.

Any words of help or a fix or anything?

I'm feeling abandoned after purchasing pitch n time.
I'm feeling like I wasted my money on something unusable.
DjCity 10:23 PM - 11 February, 2014
I am also having video problems with 1.6 and Mavricks.

Is the problem serato working with Mavricks?

On my older mbp, audio and video worked. Older mbp is running lion.

New mbp is having video issues and it runs mavericks.

Both older lion mbp and new mbp have a problem with pitch n time.

I really need some answers.
DjCity 7:17 PM - 12 February, 2014
This has gotten ridiculous now.

It has been 8 days since I first posted my issue.
It has taken 2 days to get a response and the response I got was a question.
H have answered that question and also added more information along with uploading a file for review. That was on Feb 7th.

I have not heard anything back since the questions were asked of me.

It is now Feb 12th and I still have had no response from Serato.

What is going on!!!
Paddy_V 1:23 AM - 13 February, 2014
they rushed the release and its full of bugs... thats the sad but harsh truth.
now everyone has to suffer
RiskingSilence 2:31 AM - 13 February, 2014
Quote:
now everyone has to suffer

yeah, rushing versions to support new hardware even if the software is extremely buggy, is NOT the way to go...
DjCity 3:53 AM - 14 February, 2014
C'mon Serato...

What's going on?!?

Are you REALLY just gonna let this help request just hang out there forever?
DjCity 3:05 PM - 17 February, 2014
I can't believe this thread has been ignored for so long.

It would be better if serato just said they are aware of the problems and are working on a fix or just saying this is it. Serato will get no better and it's your computer that's the problem.

Anything had got to beat nothing.
Some kind of words will beat silence.
Serato, Support
Karl Y 3:15 PM - 17 February, 2014
Hi DJCity

I am very sorry. We didn't mean to ignore you, or anyone else.
We are simply smashed with requests since Serato DJ 1.6 dropped. With so many users coming across from Scratch Live, the feedback is overwhelming. (Positive, help requests, negative, and noise. All of it)

We try to keep a balance of responding to help request we already took and giving a quick first response to new ones at the same time. Sometimes we fail in getting the balance right. Sorry again.

I happen to own the same maxed out late 2013 Macbook Pro myself privately and i didn't see the issue you are having myself yet.

I know you said you won't compromise on the 1ms buffer size, but could you try with 2ms for testing purposes?

I'll give it a go with the 1ms setting here in the meantime to see if i can reproduce your issue.

Cheers
Karl
Serato, Support
Karl Y 3:27 PM - 17 February, 2014
i just tried and i do see the warning light goes red and yellow.

I also checked and i do get slight static noises when i reduce the buffer to 1 ms.

It works flawlessly for me with 2ms though.

I'll log this in our bug tracking system, but i recommend using 2ms in the meantime.

Cheers
Karl
DjCity 4:15 PM - 17 February, 2014
Hi Karl.

I have tried with the buffer setting at 2ms and above and still get warning light.

Did you listed to the file that I uploaded? You can really hear the distortion if you use a bass cabinet. The distortion seems like it's in the low end.

Also, video does not work well at all. The videos do not run smoothly like they do on my lion mbp. Is this a Mavricks thing, a 1.6 thing or both?
Serato, Support
Karl Y 4:32 PM - 17 February, 2014
Hi DJCity,

Unlike Scratch Live, the light in Serato DJ 1.6 will not only go on when there is an actual drop out.
the warning light tells you that Serato DJ was not able to process something in under 1ms. Its more useful this way, as you probably already know without the light if you have an actual drop out. We may have to refine this in the future though, to not scare people.

i listened to the recording but to be quite honest i can't really hear what you mean.
I'll try to get someone else from our team to have a listen, but it may take a little while.

RE:Serato Video - i haven't noticed this myself. Are all settings identical on the two machines you are comparing? Video buffer size, quality, frame blending, v-sync?

I haven't heard of any issues or lowered performance with Mavericks machines.

Could you verify under "Power Savings" settings that you disabled automatic graphics switching?

Cheers
Karl
DjCity 4:46 PM - 17 February, 2014
Automatic graphics switching is turned off (unchecked)

Video settings are the same on both machines but as you know, the graphics card in the new late 2013 is supposed to be better and more powerful.

As far as the recording goes? You can't really hear it on computer speakers but you CAN hear it on a larger sounds system that has bass cabinets.

I only heard it on my main sound system which had tops and subs but it's there in love performance and in the recording.
DjCity 7:05 PM - 17 February, 2014
Sorry...

It's supposed to say...

Video settings are the same on both machines but as you know, the graphics card in the new late 2013 is supposed to be better and more powerful than the graphics card in the older machine.

As far as the recording goes? You can't really hear it on computer speakers but you CAN hear it on a larger sounds system that has bass cabinets.

I only heard it on my main sound system which had tops and subs but it's there in live performance and in the recording.

I don't know but I would THINK it could be heard if you listen on good external computer speakers that have a separate sub.
DjCity 1:48 AM - 19 February, 2014
Anything?
Any update to this thread?
Anyone hear the bad sound in the recording?
Any word on the video with Mavricks?
DjCity 3:54 AM - 19 February, 2014
Oh.
Just to let you know, last night I was hearing slight crackles in the music.

I was using 1.5 on the 2013 Retina.

Never had this happen on the lion machine.
I'm thinking there is a problem with Serato and Mavricks.
DjCity 2:26 PM - 19 February, 2014
A little more detail...

I used Mavricks and 1.5 out at a club and I heard slight clicking/crackeling.

Never had that issue with lion.
I used the exact same everything. Same speakers, same DDJ SX, same settings in Serato DJ. The only thing that was different was the computer and operating system.

Mavricks seems to not work well with Serato DJ.

I was not using fx, I was not running video. Audio only.
The crackeling was not real bad, not extremely noticeable but I heard it loud and clear. It sounded like the highs were too high.
I'm sure that's what it sounded like to the crowd but I know it was crackeling.

No warning lights, No dropout lights, just bad sound.
DjCity 7:12 PM - 19 February, 2014
Another thing I've seen Sometimes is crates re-loading.

Serato DJ will be open and I'm playing and all of a sudden the yellow strip on the bottom will come up and say "loading crates" even though my crates are already loaded.

I do not use an external HD.

I have not had a dropout with this but I'm concerned about this.
DjCity 3:23 PM - 21 February, 2014
Fell through the cracks again.
Djpr1 6:46 AM - 22 February, 2014
I have a new Mac Pro Retina and I have your same issues.
Ddj -Sx

I've had a crash at the club last week and tonight with floor packed pretty embarrassing.

Back to 1.5.2 until they sort things out.
Hopefully still works fine...
Johnnynights 4:00 PM - 22 February, 2014
Im having the same problem and yesterday i had a small gig nothing very big but my songs were distorting and some weird pops and i wasnt clipping in my mixer or sdj,also yesterday my friend that uses serato with a 57 was like hey why do your speakers sound distorted and i wasnt clipping on nothing,im dissapointed.

I have faith in the serato guys hope they fix it soon.
DjCity 9:22 PM - 24 February, 2014
The crates reloading issue has now presented audio dropouts.

I'm thinking this "may" be a Mavricks issue.
I have no idea if it is our not though.

The crates reloading happens with 1.5 and 1.6 on my 2013 i7 Retina Mavricks MBP.
DjCity 2:35 PM - 25 February, 2014
Can I have some help please?!?

This help request has been going on for 20 days now with only 2 responses in that time.

I want a refund or a working product.
DjCity 11:39 PM - 26 February, 2014
This is Soooooooooo far past ridiculous.

I just can't believe this post has gotten so old with so little feedback from Serato.

I understand you guys are busy but DAMN!

I've seen other help requests get far more attention and much quicker responses than this one.

I'm feeling like a stepchild here.
Serato, Support
David Wood 2:36 AM - 28 February, 2014
Hey DJCity,

Sam G has emailed you about your situation with the Audio dropouts. Please refer to that for further support on this issue.

Regards
Dave W
DjCity 2:43 AM - 28 February, 2014
Quote:
Hey DJCity,

Sam G has emailed you about your situation with the Audio dropouts. Please refer to that for further support on this issue.

Regards
Dave W

I have not received an email from Sam G.
Serato, Support
David Wood 2:48 AM - 28 February, 2014
I was away from the office for a week at a course and he picked up your help thread and emailed you on Tuesday sorry if you did not receive that, maybe check your junk mail?

Regards
Dave W
DjCity 2:55 AM - 28 February, 2014
Yes.
It was in the spam folder.

Thank you.
DjCity 4:59 PM - 26 March, 2014
Hello?

I emailed and have been waiting for a response for some time now.
DjCity 2:28 PM - 28 March, 2014
I am still having problems.

The warning light is no longer an issue but the re-loading crates is still an issue and video is still an issue.

Video is choppy and ghosting almost like slow motion. It looks bad.

This is evident on the external monitor and the preview window within SDJ.
I have changed the settings every witch way I can think of but it still looks bad.

I still need some help please.
Serato, Support
David Wood 11:40 PM - 30 March, 2014
Good to talk on the phone again today. Will talk again tomorrow. Hopefully we can sort this issues then.

Regards
Dave W
DjCity 11:13 PM - 31 March, 2014
Dave

I had to work tonight.
Can you please call me 2 hours later? You were supposed to call me 8pm my time. I'm hoping we can move it to 10pm.
DjCity 2:29 AM - 1 April, 2014
I'm still waiting on your call.
I'm home and I've got the MBP up and running with the sz and the external monitor.